Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

how to waterproof balsa contruction?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

how to waterproof balsa contruction?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 11:42 AM
chadxp1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to waterproof balsa contruction?

I am building a sea plane out of balsa and wanted to know how to waterproof the fuselage. I thought I have read that the some have gotten by with just the covering (monokote). Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks
Chad
Old 03-08-2014, 04:04 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Chad I have done quite a few float planes most twin float and a few single center float and while some have fiberglass over wood just because I have obtained float from someone who has glassed them.

Most all the others I have used monocoat over the sheeted wood floats with no problems at all.

John
Old 03-08-2014, 04:18 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a few seaplanes and float planes. On some it is just coating over the balsa. Others I have used water-based poly and sealed the balsa before the coating and others I have glassed the bottoms directly over the coating using lightweight cloth and water-based poly.
The WB poly is not as tough as two-part glass but it has held up fine so far.

On the seaplanes I also seal the inside as far as I can reach with WB poly.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:00 AM
chadxp1

Thanks John and Brian. Would spraying some of that expandable foam in the fuselage do any good? Im talking about the kind you get for home repair. I understand the idea is to keep the water from getting in but if it did I wonder if this stuff would keep the plane at least floating if something went wrong. Maybe a bad idea. I don't know.
Chad
Old 03-09-2014, 11:47 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Chad using that expandable foam stuff is really a bad idea you could very easily blow out the structure and its really not needed. It is extremely rare that the airplane would go under completely. About the only time I,ve seen that is something like a vertical arrival back on the water and the airplane breaks up so completely that extra floation is of no help.

It would help a lot if you explained what airplane you are going to build or at least the type.. Is it going to be a conventional twin float ship or is it going to be flying boat setup? If you new to floats I would highly recommend that you stick with the conventional twin float setup and I feel the very best first setup is any of the Sig Cadet variations.

So whatcha building?

John

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 03-09-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:28 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto on what John said about that foam. Besides blowing out the fuse and adding weight it will hold in any moisture and the wood will rot from the inside out. Most seaplanes will get water inside or at least built-up moisture and that's what rots them out. The few seaplanes I have seen crash (for whatever reason) were black with mold in the tail section where water got in and never dried out.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:41 AM
AMA 74894

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've always had great luck by simply spraying painting the entire interior with epoxy based paint.

also, COMPLETELY agree, don't use the expanding foam!
Old 03-12-2014, 11:13 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

If you're really worried about water soaking your structure, either coat it with epoxy and, prior to the epoxy completely setting up, scrape off the excess or coat the structure with sanding sealer. Both will prevent water from getting into the wood and will add minimal weight. I use the epoxy coating on my hydroplanes and have never had an issue with rotting wood since going to that method of waterproofing
Old 03-16-2014, 06:57 PM
chadxp1

Originally Posted by JohnBuckner

It would help a lot if you explained what airplane you are going to build or at least the type.. Is it going to be a conventional twin float ship or is it going to be flying boat setup? If you new to floats I would highly recommend that you stick with the conventional twin float setup and I feel the very best first setup is any of the Sig Cadet variations.

So whatcha building?

John
John, I am building my own version of the SeaWind, so yes it is a flying boat! (I hope) haha. Unfortunately I already started the design so going to a two float system is to late. I really liked the way that plane looks. I'm really just playing around with some left over parts. I think I will add some pontoons to the ends of the wings. Do you think that will help stability in the water? I will try to get some pictures posted soon.

Thanks
Chad
Old 03-24-2014, 11:22 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

During the build of my one and only float plane I painted on Deft sanding sealer throughout the inside of the plane. I'm sure anything like Poly-U would work just as well but I use the deft for glassing too so I had a lot on hand. After trying to sink my plane I discovered how well the deft worked, the wood stayed dry and I have no warps. I did have a tank rupture and discovered the Deft isn't fuel proof though.
I once used the expanding foam in a plane for some reason? Can't remember why but I do know it will split balsa when it expands. OK, now I remember why.
Just an FYI, John is one of my go to guys for anything in the way of float planes. He is a big help.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:37 PM
HighPlains

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just use wood that comes from waterlogs.