Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

A silent clunk?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

A silent clunk?

Old 04-04-2014, 03:08 AM
Popriv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A silent clunk?

Ok, going to change clunk lines partially to reduce noise. Tank is mounted in the wing of a profile 3d so-do-ko...(sp).
the clunking resonates in the wing like a drum and I don't like the sound when flying.
Any suggestions for a clunk that won't rattle?

pop
Old 04-04-2014, 04:35 AM
Hawk131

It supposed to be moving in there like that, hence the term clunk. If it's not, worry.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:13 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Geez, the things people worry about!

Put some foam padding around the tank if it bothers you that much. That should deaden the sound considerably.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:52 AM
Popriv

Originally Posted by jester_s1
Geez, the things people worry about!

Put some foam padding around the tank if it bothers you that much. That should deaden the sound considerably.
Where did I say I was worried about anything? ( D Bag )

Tank is wrapped in foam.

Everyone comments on how loud it resonates when flying, changing lines and just wondering what other options there might be.
For the clunk.

Realy starting to see the elitist attitudes in these forums. Probably time to st,ick to one of the other sites..

Thanks
Old 04-04-2014, 10:10 AM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a Jett or a Tetra bubble-less tank - they don't make a squeak!

Kurj
Old 04-04-2014, 10:49 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey Popriv please don,t take it to heart you are and have been a valued contributor here. I thank your question was interesting although I could never hear anything like that with an engine running and my very poor hearing I am often told of strange noises my airplane may make by others of course I never hear it, Darn.

Actually the suggestion by Bozarth above is a very good one while certainly eliminating the noise you are talking about since bubbless tanks use no clunk at all. However a bubbless tank for a very aerobatic airplane can provide far superior fuel flow performance over any conventional tank system. hmm

Good speaking with Ya'll agine

John
Old 04-06-2014, 02:36 PM
bjr_93tz

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Popriv
Ok, going to change clunk lines partially to reduce noise. Tank is mounted in the wing of a profile 3d so-do-ko...(sp).
the clunking resonates in the wing like a drum and I don't like the sound when flying.
Any suggestions for a clunk that won't rattle?

pop
You can buy a YS foam clunk. It's foam with an alumiumium core and they make it for their pumped F3A engines (30% nitro) to keep the air bubbles out of the line. The softest clunk tubing you can get would be better as it's fairly light (dry) but when fuel soaked tends to follow the fuel around just fine.

Central Hobbies should have them (YSE4720) but they should be available from anyone that selss YS engines, or google "YS-F2083".
Old 04-07-2014, 07:07 AM
Popriv

H,mm should I post this or will someone think it's to trivial to worry about,,,,,

anyway, found these online and was wondering if anyone he's tried them. Looks like it would eliminate the clunking.

I need a break, high dosage of prednisone for athsma for the last few weeks and I can feel the side effects... Just ask my wife... Lol

Jester belittling my question and suggesting foam wrapping the tank is no help at all.

Pop

Looks like pic won't post from iPad.
the clunk line is brass ? tubing with a spinning sleeve on it that would rotate freely. Never hitting the tank..

Again, not a big deal, just one of those little details I'd like to clean up.

Last edited by Popriv; 04-07-2014 at 07:11 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:43 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey Pop, Cool the tank system with the rotating clunk would certainly stop any noise if it is coming from the clunk while a bit expensive its always worth a try. Personally I would go with a Tetra bubbles tank which has no clunk and definitely provide superior fuel delivery (only my opinion). I use them almost exclusively in my controlline airplanes several of which are profiles with the tank in the wing. I also use the bubbleless tanks in some pylon racers and some sport airplanes.

I am interested how you fare with the rotating clunk tank as I have no experience with those

John
Old 04-07-2014, 10:41 AM
Popriv

John, defiantly the clunk. Unusual setup with the tank in the wing. First time I flew it everyone gathered around to inspect. Real thick chord on the wing really accentuates the noise. Wouldn't bother with it if I didn't think I should check the lines anyway at the start of new season. Been flying it that way 2 years. Kinda annoying to keep getting asked about "what's that noise". Lol

Probably just try wfrapping the clunk as suggested earlier, cheaper and quicker.

Pulling out all the birds and going over them as the good weather approaches.
T
hanks
P
op
Old 04-07-2014, 07:42 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Defiant clunks should never to be tolerated.

Kurt