Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

New 4star 64 ARF build?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

New 4star 64 ARF build?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 12:54 AM
Popriv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 4star 64 ARF build?

Not much of a build being an ARF but do have a couple questions/comments.
I dropped some CA wherever I could reach in the wing and fuse.
Epoxied the wings together as its no bigger than my 40 size wings. Should be stronger than 2 piece?
hesitant to use year old Thin CA on the hinges. I'll get a fresh bottle tonight.
Can I mix digital and regular servos? Would you get new ones or use from a plane that had past it's expiration point.I have spektrum and have alway used 4.8 batteries even with the digital servos, always wondering if I should go to a 5 battery pack?

thanks

Pop
Old 04-25-2014, 06:44 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Good morning Pop

Yes you sure can mix standard and digital servos in the same airplane and as you accumulate 'bags of servos' its surprising how often this is done. One caution when doing so though, if the airplanes uses two aileron servos or two elevator servos then both should be matching servos.

Concerning your question on the five vs four cell packs: If you are flying with 2.4 systems (any brand) I will not even consider a four cell pack and I only use five cells. Perhaps the only exception for me is I also fly controlline using 2.4 Hitec and for those since it is only for a small throttle servo and in some a stooge release the four cell is acceptable. For 72 a four cell is acceptable, however even before I quite flying 72 I had gone to five cell packs.

OK I think you
also questioned the reuse of used/older/crashed servos. Perhaps my answer will surprise you, I do this all the time and it can be perfectly fine with the right procedure a minimal risk.

Here is the procedure that I use when reusing a crashed/unknown servo:

You will need a servo driver, the type that can be set to run a servo back and forth continuously. These start these days at around 15 bucks and up and they are popular for also setting a servo electronically in its neutrall position when building and setting up pushrods in a new build.

First step for me is to simply hold the servo in hand and gently move the servo arm manually from stop to stop This will detect any broken gears or even just a missing tooth just by the 'feel'.

Next I will plug into the servo driver set to run and let it go for around 10 minutes or more. Now during this run I will hold the servo close to my ear and its amazing how you can detect poor running mechanics of the gears. After the static run or what I call a Burn In I will set the driver to respond to the adjustment know and agin hold the servo to my ear and manually turn the knob on the driver slowly agine listening for any rough action.

Its surprising how you can catch potentially rough servos just by these simple actions before you install them. Is this a sure fire test, no of course not but it sure does help. In fact even with brand new servos I do not omit my Burn In procedure for at least 10 minutes before installation.

John

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 04-25-2014 at 06:47 AM.