Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Aviation Club at School - Aircraft

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Aviation Club at School - Aircraft

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 02:30 PM
Panady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aviation Club at School - Aircraft

Hi all,

I'm a teacher at a middle school and run an after school aviation club. I'm a private pilot and have flown RC aircraft in the past. My school is wiling to purchase some RC airplanes for my club. I'm looking at electric and foam construction but would like to hear any aircraft recommendations you may have. My students have been actively practicing on the Real Flight simulator and I think some of them will transfer over nicely.

As of right now this series of airplanes seem appealing.

http://www.parkflyers.com/P51_D_Mustang_30_p/811.htm

Thanks
Old 05-19-2014, 04:06 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

While not as sporty looking as a Mustang, you need to find planes that are intended to be a trainer. These are typically high wing planes with a tricycle landing gear. The golden rule is that a trainer never looks real well and is a plane that you wont fall in love with, but she always is ready to fly. You might try Tower Hobbies for some suggestions. The Mustangs come later. If you want the kids to really enjoy the sport have them build a plane. You can get a Great Planes Trainer 20 or 40 and build and cover it. They are designed for nitro motors but can be converted to electric. Just a thought and Good Luck Dave
Old 05-19-2014, 04:48 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Panady
Hi all,

I'm a teacher at a middle school and run an after school aviation club. I'm a private pilot and have flown RC aircraft in the past. My school is wiling to purchase some RC airplanes for my club. I'm looking at electric and foam construction but would like to hear any aircraft recommendations you may have. My students have been actively practicing on the Real Flight simulator and I think some of them will transfer over nicely. Thanks
P-51s ARE NOT the place to start! There are plenty of foam trainers out there, if foam is your preference.
The only other caution is don't try to use "toy grade" R/C planes.
The plane you mentioned has a brushed motor, and most decent ones have a brushless motor.
In addition, the RTFs usually come with a TX that is less than optimum, in terms of range and precise control.
For training, the TXs should at least accept "trainer cords, so that the instructor can take control if needed.

When you try to do things on the "cheap", the results are generally less than desired.

There was a larger Hanger 9 P-51 in both an ARF and PTS versions that had a trainer version.
Unfortunately, it's discontinued, and you might find it only in hobbyshop stock or on E-Bay.
It's design looks scale, but was modified for better low speed flight characteristics.
I have the ARF version, electric powered, and another club member has the PTS version.
The problem is that it's likely beyond your range of price, and definitely is not a foamy!
My ARF version is powered by an E-Flite 52 motor, uses a three blade prop, and although heavy at 10+ Lbs,
flies very well! The motor develops 2+ HP at full throttle.

A question might be how large is the proposed flying area, and who owns it!
As to Taildraggers vs. Tri-gear R/C models.
I fly both, am also a licensed pilot, and, at least using grass, prefer the tail draggers.
A nose wheel can complicate things, such as getting the steering to work properly.
All you really have to do with a tail dragger is start the takeoff roll with plenty of up elevator, then relax it as the plane picks up speed.
Nose overs on landing can be minimized by also using up elevator properly on the ground.

Last edited by chuckk2; 05-19-2014 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:07 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A balsa wood plane will last longer than any foam plane. One very good trainer that is electric powered is the Hobbico Nexstar.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXSGY1**&P=0

The price is very reasonable and repairs are quit simple.

Frank
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hcaa09-flight-1-lg.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	1996705  
Old 05-19-2014, 08:15 PM
Panady

Thanks for all the replies and link to aircraft... Our school owns the land and we have about 8 pulse acres to fly on. In addition to what was linked to I found this one as another trainer. A lot of good reviews. Any thoughts?

E-flute Apprentice S 15e
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...eviews=true#t2
Old 05-19-2014, 08:45 PM
chuckk2

Thanks for all the replies and link to aircraft... Our school owns the land and we have about 8 pulse acres to fly on. In addition to what was linked to I found this one as another trainer. A lot of good reviews. Any thoughts?

E-flute Apprentice S 15e
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...eviews=true#t2
That's much better than your first choice, a ParkZone P-51!
The Apprentice 15e has a Brushless motor, 30A ESC, etc, and I believe, some stabilization capability.
The only real quibble I have with the new choice is the Spektrum DX5e TX listed in the specs.
It's a basic TX without many of the nicer features. At least it includes trainer capability.
I'd prefer the DX6i, new or old version, simply because it is programmable, and has expo available as well.
Unfortunately that would increase the cost more than just a bit!

If you really wanted to splurge, have a very good looking and flying model after whatever trainer is chosen and mastered, I'd suggest looking at
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...5e-arf-EFL4525.
The long wing with a relatively short front to back distance, compared to a typical trainer's, seems to improve stability,
and general flying characteristics. It's one of my favorite R/C models for both looks and ease of flying.

Last edited by chuckk2; 05-19-2014 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:51 PM
Panady

I think you guys have pointed me in the right direction. As far as radios what's the opinion on the tactic ttx 404? I've seen them in a couple kits and they have training cabapilities.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:28 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you intend to stick with this, I suggest that you purchase quality equipment. For radio gear, this would mean JR, Futaba, Hitec, and Airtronics.

I like the Apprentice as a choice for a trainer.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:34 AM
Panady

Thanks all for the good advice.

Last edited by Panady; 05-20-2014 at 05:36 AM.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:14 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

I completely agree, the apprentice is a great trainer.

the apprentice 'BNF' version (bind N fly) comes with a receiver, but no transmitter. JR / Spektrum transmitters work out of the box with this airplane/receiver combination. (DSM2 and DSMX versons)
the Spektrum DX6i (around $129) would be a great match.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:56 AM
Panady

Originally Posted by AMA 74894
I completely agree, the apprentice is a great trainer.

the apprentice 'BNF' version (bind N fly) comes with a receiver, but no transmitter. JR / Spektrum transmitters work out of the box with this airplane/receiver combination. (DSM2 and DSMX versons)
the Spektrum DX6i (around $129) would be a great match.
I think this is route I will probably go. Thanks
Old 05-20-2014, 08:55 AM
[email protected]

I DONT THINK A PARK FLYER IS THE RIGHT PLANE TO LAEARN ON THERE ARE A LOT OF GOOD TRAINER out there 40 to 46 size engine> but who am i to say so i would not help any one on a park flyer
Old 05-20-2014, 09:11 AM
AMA 74894

Originally Posted by [email protected]
I DONT THINK A PARK FLYER IS THE RIGHT PLANE TO LAEARN ON THERE ARE A LOT OF GOOD TRAINER out there 40 to 46 size engine> but who am i to say so i would not help any one on a park flyer
And I wouldn't call a 59" span airplane a park flyer.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:56 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Panady here is some more food for thought.

Glad to see you are getting away from the 'gotta have a P-51' syndrome. Anyway here is the most successful (in the long term) trainer if you are going to go electric, around these parts and absolutely what I do suggest to new folks who will allow imput from the folks who will be mentoring them

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...CKWL&P=ML#tech

I have an continue to teach folks with this airplane and do prefer it over the Apprentice However when purchased in this package with the Tactic radio that you asked about earlier and is what is included and it has a big advantage over just about most other systems in useage, that is the included 'Wireless Buddy System" .

I think Jim Buzzeo above can enlighten you on the Tactic system. Now true it is an entry level system that most will soon want more however this cordless buddy system is a hugh asset when you are intending to teach others which is exactly what you seemed to working toward. Many instructors will in fact discredit the cordless system as pointless and simply refuse to even try it or a least for the duration of any one individuals training. But there are subtle physiological advantages for many students and as a result there are across the board improvements in most folks training experience.

Futaba has their own 100 plus cordless unit and Hitec has none. Since Hitec is normally my preferred system for most flying I made my own cordless system.

John

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...CKWL&P=ML#tech

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 05-20-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:31 PM
fly24-7

One thing to consider with the foam option is the weight. Generally, the best flying conditions for training are days with low wind. With a three-pound foam airplane (the Apprentice), you're going to need days with almost no wind to make the training process managable. A balsa/plywood plane is closer to 6-7 pounds and will be more controllable in the wind. Being a school based program that I expect would meet on specific days, I would think you don't have the luxury to wait for ideal weather days to fly. A heavier balsa/ply airplane may be a better option.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:44 PM
toolmaker7341

Hi all,

I'm a teacher at a middle school and run an after school aviation club. I'm a private pilot and have flown RC aircraft in the past. My school is wiling to purchase some RC airplanes for my club. I'm looking at electric and foam construction but would like to hear any aircraft recommendations you may have. My students have been actively practicing on the Real Flight simulator and I think some of them will transfer over nicely.

Thanks
First off where are you located. There must be someone or club in your area that would be happy to help you out. Good advice to you so far. If your close to me I will donate radios and aircraft.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:19 PM
Avistarpilot

I fly an avistar (I was really creative with my sn when I was younger huh?) I started flying in high school and have been flying on and off all the way into my late 20's that I'm in now. I think the nexstar would be a good choice for a larger balsa aircraft that could be flown in conditions that might not always be perfect. It'd be a pretty versatile aircraft that can be flown slow and still have the auto correcting tendencies of a high wing, and once the basics are down it can perform basic aerobatics as well.

I keep telling myself I need to upgrade from my avistar but every year I keep it as my daily flyer since its so versatile. Still is a high wing "trainer" but with a semi sym airfoil is a hoot to fly still and if you let of the sticks it doesn't quite level off like a normal flat bottom wing does. I'm still learning aerobatics with it with hopes it will make the transition to whatever plane i chose as my next one that much easier.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:19 PM
Avistarpilot

I fly an avistar (I was really creative with my sn when I was younger huh?) I started flying in high school and have been flying on and off all the way into my late 20's that I'm in now. I think the nexstar would be a good choice for a larger balsa aircraft that could be flown in conditions that might not always be perfect. It'd be a pretty versatile aircraft that can be flown slow and still have the auto correcting tendencies of a high wing, and once the basics are down it can perform basic aerobatics as well.

I keep telling myself I need to upgrade from my avistar but every year I keep it as my daily flyer since its so versatile. Still is a high wing "trainer" but with a semi sym airfoil is a hoot to fly still and if you let of the sticks it doesn't quite level off like a normal flat bottom wing does. I'm still learning aerobatics with it with hopes it will make the transition to whatever plane i chose as my next one that much easier.

Kudos to getting youngsters started in rc and aviation as well.

Last edited by Avistarpilot; 05-20-2014 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Holy Double Post Batman!
Old 05-20-2014, 06:29 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I have a few questions that haven't been discussed yet that will have a pretty big impact on your decision.

1. How many planes do you need/want to have airworthy on any given day?
1b. How many students will want to fly on any given day?
2. Who will be maintaining and repairing the planes?
3. Do the kids really want to put the time in to learn good piloting or do they think of this as the instant gratification of a toy?
4. Who will be instructing the students? How proficient is the instructor in RC flight and teaching RC flight?
5. What is your actual budget?
6. Will any parents be involved either at the flight line or in getting planes ready?

I ask all of this because I am an instructor at my club and have developed a pretty good feel for what to expect with youngsters getting started in RC flight. We've had as many as 6-7 student pilots on a training day which keeps the flight line pretty busy. Usually 2 or 3 of those are on an instructor owned trainer and the rest have their own planes.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:46 PM
Panady

Originally Posted by jester_s1
I have a few questions that haven't been discussed yet that will have a pretty big impact on your decision.

1. How many planes do you need/want to have airworthy on any given day?
1b. How many students will want to fly on any given day?
at this point 1 or 2 airplanes would be sufficient
2. Who will be maintaining and repairing the planes?
the students and myself will maintain and repair them
3. Do the kids really want to put the time in to learn good piloting or do they think of this as the instant gratification of a toy?y
I would say a few of them would actual strive for good piloting skills and a few others as a toy. I could see it developing at the interest grows.
4. Who will be instructing the students? How proficient is the instructor in RC flight and teaching RC flight?
I will instruct. I have a number of hours in the past with instruction given. I have a few flights recently but will need to practice.
5. What is your actual budget
Around $800
6. Will any parents be involved either at the flight line or in getting planes ready?
as of right now no but I know some parents will want to help.

I ask all of this because I am an instructor at my club and have developed a pretty good feel for what to expect with youngsters getting started in RC flight. We've had as many as 6-7 student pilots on a training day which keeps the flight line pretty busy. Usually 2 or 3 of those are on an instructor owned trainer and the rest have their own planes.
Ive had an aviation club for 3 years now and want to add this component to what we are already doing. My principal approached me about doing a summer program that incorporates math/aviation and rc flying.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:02 AM
toolmaker7341

Ive had an aviation club for 3 years now and want to add this component to what we are already doing. My principal approached me about doing a summer program that incorporates math/aviation and rc flying.
You stiil haven't given your location or you don't want any help/donations?
Old 05-21-2014, 05:08 AM
jester_s1

Given your answers, the Hobby Zone Super Cub planes will probably meet your needs best. They are foam, so they bounce well and are quick to repair. They are electric, so there are no engines to tune or receiver batteries to cycle. You could have two of them and a good dual or quad charger along with enough flight batteries to get all the kids through a day of flying within your budget.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:33 AM
Marty79

Another thought is to go with something like a slow stick. They are cheap, easy to fly and replacement parts a not expensive. you could have several airplanes up and flying for 2-3 hundred dollars. They as they improve move them up to something a little more advanced.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:55 AM
jester_s1

I didn't mention that you'll also need to work out a buddy box plan for the planes. Computerized radios make life so much easier, so go that route if you can. You were interested in the Tactic radios, which seem to be proving reliable, so you might consider a pair of TT650 radios. I'm pretty sure they can buddy box with each other, then they will serve as standalone radios after the kids solo. IIRC, the Super Cub has a "bind and fly" version, so a pair of Spektrum DX6i radios will make more sense if that's the case.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:27 AM
AMA 74894

Originally Posted by jester_s1
I didn't mention that you'll also need to work out a buddy box plan for the planes. Computerized radios make life so much easier, so go that route if you can. You were interested in the Tactic radios, which seem to be proving reliable, so you might consider a pair of TT650 radios. I'm pretty sure they can buddy box with each other, then they will serve as standalone radios after the kids solo. IIRC, the Super Cub has a "bind and fly" version, so a pair of Spektrum DX6i radios will make more sense if that's the case.
+1 Jester. the Tactic uses a WIRELESS buddy box system.... but is only compatible with other tactic radios.
Spektrum / JR uses a simple 1/8 audio cable (like on earbud type headphones)
Spektrum /JR can also pair with Futaba radios and vice versa (with a special cable)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.