Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

ok now that im done with training i wanna convert my hobbico 60 to wing bolts

Old 06-03-2014, 08:00 AM
SrTelemaster150

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've converted both of my trainers from rubber bands to bolts. The 1st was a Sr Telemaster, the other a USAircore Knight Hawk both of which were taildraggers.

It's not that difficult. While you have the wing under surgery, reduce the dihedral & wing incidence. I made up a new dihedral brace for the Sr Telemaster & converted to a 2-piece wing W/wing struts.

That Telemaster would do some crazy s*** W/an FA-150 on CDI in the nose.

Definately get rid of the tricycle gear!

For the steerable tail wheel just make a 2-piece elevator W/a wire "U" connector. Notch the elevators & run the rudder full width to the bottom. Then use a simple steerable tail wheel that connects to the rudder as in post #10.

Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 06-03-2014 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:41 PM
Calvinman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

+1 Jester, the secret is to just not cartwheel. I do have to remove some material for my Ultra Sport wing bolts, but it is mostly just the threads and a tiny bit of the meat from the bolt.Calvi
Old 06-03-2014, 06:00 PM
Avistarpilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

FWIW...I just cartwheeled mine today. Assuming it was a stall on take off but regardless the plane cartwheeled and only damage was to the firewall. The wings were cocked a bit in the saddle but no structural damage from what I can see. Been flying solo on and off for years and this is the first time this has happened. In this case rubber bands saved my wing.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:42 PM
Calvinman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry to hear of your mishap Avistarpilot, glad it was not worse.having a wing that sits flat on top of the fuse so it can twist a bit does save on damage for sure. When the wing is "nestled" in the fuse and has no where to go even if the elastics/bolts allow it to move you end up with damage to the fuse and the wing. I hope the firewall is repairable with a little epoxy.Calvi

Search this Thread