Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Inside components for a Great Planes 60 size trainer

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Inside components for a Great Planes 60 size trainer

Old 05-26-2014, 04:44 PM
KingOfClass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Inside components for a Great Planes 60 size trainer

I have been building a great planes trainer 60 kit and so far it has been quite enjoyable and very easy. However, as I finish the model, I am at a loss as for the interior components. I already bought an engine for it, the guy at the hobby store (Atlanta Hobby) recommended the Evolution 10 cc motor. I also bought a dubro gas tank, tygon, and the gasket for the tank for a 2 line set up. Does anyone have a diagram for the set up of this engine and know what else I need? The manual on the engine referred me to the Kit and the kit referred me back to the engine manual. Also, what items do I need for the controls for this plane (servo, receiver, etc)? Any information would be helpful.

Thank you,

JDD
Old 05-26-2014, 08:20 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Two line is pretty simple. Klunk weight in the tank to the carb. The other line is a vent and goes from the tank to the vent fitting on the muffler. Pull the carb line off to fill the tank. Most larger gas engines have pumps and don't need muffler pressure. Page seven of the manual shows the lines.

As far as engine installation it will depend on the kit. Most models have some offset and down-thrust built in.

Standard servos are fine for this model; Futaba S3004 or similar. You need four (aileron, rudder, elevator and throttle. Receiver of at least four channels and a battery to power it and the servos.

I suggest you check to see what the popular transmitters are at the club you will be flying and get that brand. It will make a buddy-box set-up easier.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:03 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Do you have your radio yet? 2.4ghz receivers are brand specific, so if you already have a transmitter you'll need a receiver from the same brand.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:31 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Evo 10GX is a nice engine...I have two. It takes a long time to break-in and then it really shines. When breaking it in initially be prepared as it puts out a lot of black goo. After a few tanks that will lessen and more and more as it breaks in fully(about 2 gallons) . It needs muffler pressure and I have plumbed the tanks as a three line set-up. Pressure line, carb line and fill line (to a fuel dot). Mount the ignition box as far forward as possible. Use a felt or sintered clunk in the tank and install an in-line filter before the carb. Make sure to take the stock muffler apart and reassemble using high temperature sealant between all of the sections and bolt heads and locktite on the bolt threads.. The muffler can loosen up and leak and if you have any leaks in the muffler, fuel tank, etc...the engine will not run correctly. I am using a 2-cell LiFe pack for the ignition and another for the planes receiver. If space is an issue you can use just one battery for both ignition and receiver ,just go to a higher milliamp pack..
As already mentioned, (4) standard servos will do it.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:02 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a complete thread with over 50 pages on the EVO 10 in the gas engine forum talking about the problems and fixes on the engine sense it first came out, should be a big help. A trainer just requires standard servos and a RX, battery and switch. The ignition just requires a battery and switch. I still keep the ignition and switch as far away from the airplane controls as I can but 2.4 isn't as sensitive to RF as good old 72.