Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Kadet Senior SPORT taildragger?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Kadet Senior SPORT taildragger?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 05:10 PM
chadwickz71
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kadet Senior SPORT taildragger?

Anyone checked out the new sig kadet senior Sport. Looks like the regular kadet senior but a taildragger. http://www.sigplanes.com/SIG-Kadet-S...ARF_p_209.html

I've been out of the hobby for 10 yrs and have been looking for a new trainer. I really liked my hanger 9 easy 2, and then my ultrastick which are both gone. Actually liked the stick better being that it was a taildragger. I know everyone says its harder but maybe I was just different.

Might have to try this sport out for getting back into it. That and maybe a .46ax hopefully would be a perfect match.

anyways, just did a search and didn't see much pop up unless I searched wrong so I thought i'd post it up.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:38 AM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

All of the Kadet series fly well. I converted my Sr Kadet over to a tail dragger because it kept tipping over when my grandson would taxi it on breezy days. That solved that problem, & its still in my hanger as a great trainer plane. Our club hosts the scouts once a year & i drag it out for that event for all to fly. Sig has a winner here with this one....Gene
Old 02-08-2014, 10:37 AM
Lowvoltage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new Kadet Senior Sport does not have stick-built fuselage like the kit. It is lite-ply like the LT-40. I have one opened down in the basement. I'm going to use a Saito .56 to power it with. I have a Saito .62 on another senior and it is just about right. The Sport has just about everything but electronics and motor to finish it. I am going to use a different motor mount and rotate the engine 135 degrees so the exhaust exits on the bottom center of the cowl and I won't have to cut open the top.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:23 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine should be delivered today. I plan to use it for reaxed flying sessions, but will power it with a .91 Surpass.

I plan to rotate the engine, too.

I've already talked to Gary at Decal-it about working up some custom graphics. http://www.decal-it.com/

Joe. How do you like yours ?
Old 06-13-2014, 08:37 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There are two of them flying here locally among many other permutations of the cadets since we have promoted seniors here tirelessly to the new folks a number of years. We even have had for four years now an annual Senior Cadet pylon race which has been very successful with the fellows taking it quite seriously every year.

Beyond the obvious change to a taildragger I believe there is very little change from the prior EG versions all the EG's have included the bottom hatch. I think a plastic spinner may be included on this new sport version which I would recommend not using anyway and going to either an alum spinner nut or a full alum spinner.

Chad you will be very happy with this airplane, the quality of the ARF is a cut above the average we see these days out of China or anywhere on the Pacific Rim. Also don,t be shy about float flying as the Seniors are superb float ships. As to the engine your 46 AX will be an ideal engine by the way the AX series are my all time favorites.

Now to what engines I use in my four Cadet Seniors. First is the totally stock EG. this is my working airplane That live mostly to train new folks with and it has a .35AX yes smaller than recommended. It is the ideal engine for flight training in my opinion and most are shocked how well it works. This airplane I also use on occasion with a cradle for piggyback launching of gliders. Also this airplane with that little AX has done just fine in Cadet pylon where most of the fellows there go all the way up to the one cubic inch rules limit.

My next Senior cadet is what I called the Quad Cadet it is a four engine bash with four .25FX's it has a slight wing extension to 87 inchs. A wonderful ship on its second set of engines and flys wheels, floats as well as being a night flyer. There are now two flying as it has been copied by another. (by the way that is a wonderful compliment).

The thind in my fleet is what I call the Catalina Cadet and it is set up for wheels or a large single central float. It has extended wing to 89 inchs and an internal fuel system that carries almost a gallon of fuel in three tanks. Powered originally with an .95AX this proved more than needed and later whas changed to a .65AX in the interest of fuel economy. This ship has completed a non stop static flight of 6 hours and twelve minutes with the .65 but I am now going to change to a 15cc OSGT gas engine seeking even more economy.

My fourth Cadet was not assembled, bashed or built by me but was built at least twentyfive years ago by a friend who it is getting a bit difficult to for him to transport. He presented me with this wonderful gift of his 'Bushmaster' It is approximately a 30% enlargement of a standard Senior with a wing span of around 97 inchs and is permanently on floats. The power is an ancient Magnum .80 fourstroke that pulls the very heavy ship amazingly well at what can only be described as a 'stately pace'. When the flaps are down this ship flys slower than any of the foamys on beach and its just a joy to make one touch and go after another.

There is one more that I forgot and it is the Seniorita Cadet that I bashed with two .25FX's specifically to train fellows on how to fly a twin engine airplanes on one engine. This one is a transformer as it does double duty in just minutes and changes to a glider that is aerotowed aloft with a GP Stearman.

So yes I love Cadets, all of them and no they are not all I fly

Chad you will love yours its a great choice and so is the engine your have.

John