Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Krylon Flat clear

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Krylon Flat clear

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 03:16 PM
dutchy50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Krylon Flat clear

Hello
Has anybody used this paint product called Krylon, I am wishing to spray a topcoat of flat clear over my Focke Wulf which is sprayed in acrylic house paint.
Is this product suitable for a gas(petrol) fuel plane?
Are there any other products that would be suitable if Krylon is not?
Regards
dutchy50
Old 07-16-2014, 03:43 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I spilled raw gas on Krylon Satin and had to repaint. I wiped the airframe immediately. I was very disappointed in the product.

On the other hand, my Focke Wulf was clear coated in Krylon Satin. I was careful not to let raw gas get on the finish. No problems were encountered.

There are better products though, like the clear from Nelson's. http://www.nelsonhobby.com/hobby_paint.php
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0495.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	2014615  
Old 07-16-2014, 05:58 AM
jetmech05

A painter told me once that if you can remove it with acetone it isn't fuel proof.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:05 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Kinda what happened to tom, it got soft and tacky. I just use Klass Kote clear.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:54 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had good luck with Rustoleum enamel spray paint (including clear) over epoxy/fiberglass and their metallic (oil based) spray paints on metal gear struts. Gasoline and glow. If you spill 15% nitro on a surface that's much different then wiping exhaust residue off.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:21 PM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If spraying it with clear to achieve a flat finish only you could also use a very fine sanding sponge and flatten it off that way.Works well.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:24 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Rustoleum is gasoline proof, and sometimes it's glow proof and sometimes not (according to the threads I've read from people who tried it). It's another question though whether it's compatible with the house paint you used. I assume the acrylic is water based? Krylon and Rustoleum are solvent based, so the solvents might attack the base color. Definitely do a test panel first to see. You might have to go to an epoxy type paint like Klass Kote or the Systems 3 water based polyurethane for compatibility.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:33 PM
buzzard bait

Here's the System 3 website: http://www.systemthree.com/store/pc/...&idCategory=29

Note they have a satin clear. Five bucks to try in the 4 oz size. For some reason the larger sizes are more expensive on a unit basis.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:59 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

I have read that water based polyurethane is fuel proof and will go on over water based latex house paint. It can be had in satin (non gloss) cans so it might fit your needs.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:08 PM
buzzard bait

I would really like to hear people's experiences with this. I have read that Minwax Polycrylic is not fuel proof, but Varathane water based is. Does anyone have direct experience with these, and if so, with what nitro content?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 08-05-2014, 04:52 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm not aware of any kind of water based polyurethane that is fuel proof that doesn't have an additional hardener. The systems 3 has a "crosslinker" that makes it fuel proof. If you don't use it, it won't be.