Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Throttle came on unexpectedly

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Throttle came on unexpectedly

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 09:54 AM
meyersmp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle came on unexpectedly

Second flight of new plane and during check of control surfaces prior to takeoff, the throttle came on at about 10% and wouldn't shut off while moving ailerons. Monitor shows throttle travel at +/- 100%. Has anyone ever seen this? Do I have an ESC problem or transmitter?
Old 08-25-2014, 10:38 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It may have been because of the position the throttle was in when you bound the receiver to the transmitter.
Try rebinding it with the throttle at low (with trim full down) and see how things go.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:15 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

You may have also programmed in a Mix situation by accident?
Old 08-26-2014, 09:43 AM
meyersmp

I put the plane on a stand and was able to replicate the problem. If I work the ailerons back and forth quickly 5 or 6 times, they freeze up for about a second. After doing this a few times, the throttle comes on. Also, I noticed that there are occasionally 5 quick beeps from the esc. ( thunderbird 36 amp from Castle). I tried turning off the tx when throttle was running and no change. If I turn it. Back on and "wiggle" the ailerons until they freeze again, the throttle shuts off. I tried rebinding, and also checked for mixes. I'm not familiar with mixing, but the aileron/rudder and mixes 1-6 all showed 0% for left and right and switch showed inhibited (dX8). Is my plane haunted?
Old 08-26-2014, 10:38 AM
meyersmp

I just changed the ESC with an extra I had and the problem went away. No freezing ailerons, and no unexplained throttle activation. I don't understand what the ESC has to do with ailerons, but at least the problem is resolved. Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:48 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No missing fingers or even blood?
Old 08-26-2014, 10:53 AM
meyersmp

Nope,

it only happened while preflight testing of control surfaces. I did have to chase the plane down the runway, which was kind of embarrassing
Old 09-10-2014, 07:25 AM
rlipsett

sounds a lot like your esc was not providing enough power to the receiver and causing a brown out of the receiver. check your failsafe position for your throttle and see if the engine runs when you turn off the transmitter. of course if you rebound it with the throttle fully down it might not run again in its failsafe position.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:07 PM
meyersmp

Yeah, I think that's why the servos were freezing up. I had tried turning off the tx, but motor continued to run. Ended up sending ESC to Castle, who fixed/replaced and shipped back same day. I have to commend their service.