Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Thunder Tiger Trainer 40 project

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Thunder Tiger Trainer 40 project

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 08:18 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AllModesR/C
Joe do you know when the next Chicago area R/C meet will be?

I was actually at Leasure Hour Hobbies yesterday as work brought me to Joliet again but they don't sell Wildcat fuel. The reason I want that fuel is because the owner's manual for the engine calls for a fuel with 20% oil content, preferrably a castor not synthetic oil, and a 10% nitro content. The fuel that matches these requirements is the Wildcat Premium Extra 10%. Tower Hobbies has it but they only sell it by a four gallon case and I don't need that much fuel sitting around and spoiling during the winter.
I used scotty"s fuel for over 30 years just ask one of them witch one would work in your motor . 15 percent would be close enough and if your worried about it just run it a hair rich. They will order you what ever mix you want also . I get about 20 percent off of their stiker price so let me know the next time you go there . joe

Last edited by joebahl; 10-16-2014 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:49 AM
AllModesR/C

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joebahl
I used scotty"s fuel for over 30 years just ask one of them witch one would work in your motor . 15 percent would be close enough and if your worried about it just run it a hair rich. They will order you what ever mix you want also . I get about 20 percent off of their stiker price so let me know the next time you go there . joe
I ordered the fuel from Tower. What would happen if you used old fuel like from 1999? I have a gallon of it and just curious. I joined an R/C Plane club in my area and already talked to an instructor. I also joined the AMA to have insurance. Should have my first lesson next weekend.

Does anyone know what the ATV function in the lower left hand side of the transmitter does? Is it another trim?

Last edited by AllModesR/C; 10-18-2014 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:55 PM
joebahl

Here is a good deal on a Kadet SR up north ,one of the best flying trainer planes out there with around a 80 inch wingspan .http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/tag/4717483168.html

Last edited by joebahl; 10-18-2014 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:11 PM
AllModesR/C

Here is a good deal on a Kadet SR up north ,one of the best flying trainer planes out there with around a 80 inch wingspan .http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/tag/4717483168.html
Nice find Joe. I am tempted to buy it.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:04 PM
joebahl

The ARF sells for 299 without the motor its a great deal. joe http://www.sigplanes.com/SIG-KADET-S...-ARF_p_88.html
Old 10-18-2014, 05:11 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I ordered the fuel from Tower. What would happen if you used old fuel like from 1999? I have a gallon of it and just curious. I joined an R/C Plane club in my area and already talked to an instructor. I also joined the AMA to have insurance. Should have my first lesson next weekend.

Does anyone know what the ATV function in the lower left hand side of the transmitter does? Is it another trim?
No its not another trim but actually is called Adjustable Travel Volume and is an example of the four majors using different terminology for the same thing, this during the formative years even before computer (micro processor controlled radios radios). ATV is another wording used by Hitec in the past to indicate what some others now call adjustable endpoints. I befleve but not sure that JR may still use that wording.

Using the ATV on that Hitec tranny you cannot increase servo throw beyond the nominal 60 degrees but you can reduce it to zero. To use that feature for example after the test flight you may find that the aileron throw is to much too much but the elevator is fine (a common scenario) So you can use a tiny screwdriver or tuning wand and rotate that itty bitty pot marked AR. counter clockwise and this will reduce your throw electronically in the fashion but not quite like a modern computer radio. That tiny pot is sensitive so only use a lite touch.

This feature works on all three Axis' and the throttle. Remember you can only reduce electronically from what you have set up with your mechanical setup (pushrod, horns etc.).

John

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 10-18-2014 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:29 PM
AllModesR/C

Originally Posted by JohnBuckner
No its not another trim but actually is called Adjustable Travel Volume and is an example of the four majors using different terminology for the same thing, this during the formative years even before computer (micro processor controlled radios radios). ATV is another wording used by Hitec in the past to indicate what some others now call adjustable endpoints. I befleve but not sure that JR may still use that wording.

Using the ATV on that Hitec tranny you cannot increase servo throw beyond the nominal 60 degrees but you can reduce it to zero. To use that feature for example after the test flight you may find that the aileron throw is to much too much but the elevator is fine (a common scenario) So you can use a tiny screwdriver or tuning wand and rotate that itty bitty pot marked AR. counter clockwise and this will reduce your throw electronically in the fashion but not quite like a modern computer radio. That tiny pot is sensitive so only use a lite touch.

This feature works on all three Axis' and the throttle. Remember you can only reduce electronically from what you have set up with your mechanical setup (pushrod, horns etc.).

John
I see. Just curious do you know what the range is on a 72 mhz system? Do the new 2.4 Ghz have a longer range?
Old 10-20-2014, 08:16 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Both are well beyond what any human pilot could use. About a mile in optimum conditions is the range for both. Where the two bands differ in in handling interference both from noise sources and from other radios. 72mhz is pretty fragile on both, while 2.4ghz is practically impervious to interference. That's why it's more reliable.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:31 AM
JohnBuckner

Agreed and other differences are the 2.4 receivers are proving to be far more durable in crashs than the 72's. On the other hand the 2.4's are more heat sensitive to higher temperatures and that is why they should not be foam wrapped.

John
Old 10-25-2014, 01:42 PM
AllModesR/C

Today was a great day. Went to my local flying field and ran the motor on the ground for a tank to break it in. The engine starts very easily (within a few seconds) and runs great. I was very impressed. Then a flight instructor agreed to fly the plane for me to trim it out after the checked the CG and did a range check. He said it flies very well just has a slight left bank for some reason. I didn't fly because it was pretty windy and I didn't want to take any chances. The only issue I am having so far is due to the old 72 mhz radio system I have, none of the instructors have a buddy box so we'll just have to pass the transmitter back and forth.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:19 PM
JohnBuckner

Excellent and glad you had a great first outing. Toss the Box has indeed always been tricky and often resulted in unpleasant days when it was the only option.

Pursue that club and get involved Ya join and start networking ask around who is a Hitec user. Its highly likely that there will be any number of older members who in fact have some old Hitec lazer, focus four and six's as well as the Hitec one way cord. Might purchase that stuff for a pittance or maybe free.

Its almost worthless and here a while back we made the decision to go to an all 2.4 field and 72 only at your own risk as some unpleasant people where flying virtually on our doorstep seven hundred feet away with no frequency control. There where a number of losses before we decided to go all 2.4 and most of us destroyed these older tX's to get them out of the hands of local pickers that could care less how they peddled the stuff at the local yard sales.

That proved out to be a good decision and the fellows who insisted on doing that have moved on when the source of these old trannys dried up.

Glad ya had a great day

John

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 10-25-2014 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:35 PM
AllModesR/C

So they were flying on 72 close to your field with no regard? The good thing about these old systems is everyone is on 2.4ghz. Therefore chances are your frequency is always available at the field.:-)

Last edited by AllModesR/C; 10-25-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:14 PM
AllModesR/C

Joe, what do you think of this deal?

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/tag/4716496871.html

It's by your neck of the woods.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:51 AM
AllModesR/C

I am looking to get a soldering iron. Is 60w enough for general use mainly in this hobby? Also what type of solder is best to use?
Old 10-29-2014, 08:26 PM
jester_s1

For soldering up servo extensions and Deans plugs and such, it's more than enough. I use a 25w iron for all my electrical stuff. Standard rosin core electrical solder works fine.

If you're planning to build wire landing gears and cabanes and such, skip the soldering iron and get a micro torch. A plumbers torch works too if you have one, but it puts out a lot more heat than you need. Stay Brite with the Stay Brite flux is the strongest solder for that application, although with proper construction and wire wrapping the joints standard plumbers solder will work just fine.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:35 AM
joebahl

Joe, what do you think of this deal?

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/tag/4716496871.html

It's by your neck of the woods.
Sorry i got here late and its expired . My job has gotten real busy all of a sudden and trying to get all of my flat work concrete in before the ground freezes around here .I solder all my junk with a radio shack 20 dollar 50 watt iron and it works fine ,a 40 should work for what your using it on. Like Jester said a torch works on soldering landing gear and cabanes way better that any iron . I get blocks of hardwood and drill holes in them or slots to hold bullit connecters or deans plugs since i fly only electrict now and only have two hands while soldering stuff . Iam not affraid to use my small vice to hold junk either . joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	block for soldering.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	2043306  

Last edited by joebahl; 10-30-2014 at 08:58 AM.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:59 PM
joebahl

This has to be a newer 7 channel cause mine is a older one andthis has the round diel to program it with and mine does not . joe http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/tag/4733207187.html Some more motors and i had alot of OS motors and they were great . http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/tag/4733052787.html

Last edited by joebahl; 10-31-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:38 AM
jester_s1

Neither of those are particularly good buys. The transmitter doesn't come with a receiver, and the engines aren't going to be that useful. That particular .40 is too weak for most .40 size planes, and the other is going to be too small for most of the commonly available glow planes on the market.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:52 AM
joebahl

Originally Posted by jester_s1
Neither of those are particularly good buys. The transmitter doesn't come with a receiver, and the engines aren't going to be that useful. That particular .40 is too weak for most .40 size planes, and the other is going to be too small for most of the commonly available glow planes on the market.
Do you know how many new flyers paid over 100 bucks for one of those motors and still do for their trainer ? Take a look at tower hobbys price and get back to us ! I fly only electric now and i love my 7 channel DXM transmitter that i paid over 300 hundred for but i buy alot of my after market recievers cheap and they work great . http://www.valuehobby.com/radio-syst...ompatible.html
Old 11-01-2014, 07:00 AM
joebahl

Do you know how many new flyers paid over 100 bucks for one of those motors and still do for their trainer ? Take a look at tower hobbys price and get back to us ! I fly only electric now and i love my 7 channel DXM transmitter that i paid over 300 hundred for but i buy alot of my after market recievers cheap and they work great . http://www.valuehobby.com/radio-syst...ompatible.html
Here is a LA 46 for 86 bucks then add tax and shipping http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../osmg0047.html Cost more than his asking price of 60 for two motors ! A DXM 7 goes for 299 plus tax and that includes only one reciever http://www.horizonhobby.com/dx7s-7-c...ceiver-spm7800 I know anyone can talk them down on their price on craigs list cause i buy stuff there all the time . Do you buy or fly anything Jester ? Waht kind of motors do you use on what plane ? Texas must be giving stuff away if you can find any deals cheaper we would love to see them? My scratch built tidewater pronto flew fast with a plain 25 in it and cost little to build . inside /outside loops ,nife edge flight /spins were all good with a light plane .I sold it but still miss my pronto and cheap motor . joe
Attached Images   

Last edited by joebahl; 11-01-2014 at 07:30 AM.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:09 AM
AllModesR/C

Joe I am seriously considering buying this today:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/ele/4727826228.html

I know it's not a beginner plane but it's just too nice to pass up. Plus when I will learn to fly I will already have an aerobatic plane.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:13 AM
joebahl

Joe I am seriously considering buying this today:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/ele/4727826228.html

I know it's not a beginner plane but it's just too nice to pass up. Plus when I will learn to fly I will already have an aerobatic plane.
Its expired r ,what kind of plane is it ? Iam flying this 3 -D plane and i enjoy it alot !
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	acromasterL3.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	241.1 KB
ID:	2043922  

Last edited by joebahl; 11-01-2014 at 08:17 AM.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:24 AM
joebahl

Since it is winter and i dont have enough to build of my own ! lmao i started this thread to teach a new builder how to make their own trainer . lmao http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74762 Iam Roadking 97 on this electric site and done a couple scratch builds there joe

Last edited by joebahl; 11-01-2014 at 08:30 AM.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:05 AM
AllModesR/C

Its expired r ,what kind of plane is it ? Iam flying this 3 -D plane and i enjoy it alot !
Sorry, it is a Hangar 9 Pulse XT60 with an Evolution 62NX engine.

http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Def...ProdID=HAN4130
Old 11-01-2014, 09:10 AM
joebahl

Sorry, it is a Hangar 9 Pulse XT60 with an Evolution 62NX engine.

http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Def...ProdID=HAN4130
Hanger hanger 9 stuff is nice and they all fly well with good hardwear that comes with their arfs.I bought their 80 inch wing span crop duster and put a 80 size four cycle in it. A friend could not live without owning mine so i sold it to him . lol BTW i sent my dxm reciever in to horizon hobbys to get it fixed and even told them it was broke because of a crash i had and they sent me a brand new one at no charge . Horizon hobbys makes e-flight and hanger 9 stuff plus my 7 channel radio and i like the way they fly :-) joe

Last edited by joebahl; 11-01-2014 at 09:20 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.