Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Thunder Tiger Trainer 40 project

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Thunder Tiger Trainer 40 project

Old 11-13-2014, 09:32 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, if you pulled up Aloft Hobbies you may see something you like. I fly with two guys that are using there systems and have been for four years without a radio glitch. I think there 16 channel is about $175 but they have a lot of selections for all your needs. I just started using there receivers, about 1/3rd the cost of any of the others on the market.
Should be enough choices to get you going. The FrSky system is a pretty good choice. It's a clone and I'm sure they ripped off all the other manufactures designs and research. Copy Right Laws?? I don't think they care.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:03 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gray Beard
Well, if you pulled up Aloft Hobbies you may see something you like. I fly with two guys that are using there systems and have been for four years without a radio glitch. I think there 16 channel is about $175 but they have a lot of selections for all your needs. I just started using there receivers, about 1/3rd the cost of any of the others on the market.
Should be enough choices to get you going. The FrSky system is a pretty good choice. It's a clone and I'm sure they ripped off all the other manufactures designs and research. Copy Right Laws?? I don't think they care.
Plane desighns / radios and many other things ripped off by China and yep they dont give a rats ars . joe
Old 11-14-2014, 06:00 PM
AllModesR/C

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Aloft Hobbies appears to be run by an American guy, plus the English is too good to be Chinese operated. Are FrySky systems made in China? If so I am not interested. Learned my lesson about buying Chinese junk a long time ago. You really do get what you pay for.

Last edited by AllModesR/C; 11-14-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:41 PM
Gray Beard

Aloft is here in the states but like most places today a lot of there products are made in China. FrSky is Chinese. The Aloft support isn't, they are quite good about the support.
When I was a lot younger we felt the same way about all the products made in Japan too.
The Times They are a Changin!! Bob, whatya tryen to tell me???
Old 11-15-2014, 07:10 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes, if you are going to refuse to buy anything made in China you probably are in the wrong hobby. Chinese manufacturing has improved over the years. Yes, they still make bargain basement junk, but they also are capable of building good stuff too. Airtronics is made in China and has always had a good reputation for quality. All of the ARFs are made there, and chances are components of everything made in other places are made there. The place of manufacture is not as important as the brand and their dedication to quality. I've never been impressed with FlySky stuff based on internet anecdotes, but it's not because it's made in China. It's because it's cheap, bargain basement radio gear that is made without significant quality control and doesn't have good warranties or service.
Frankly, the radio is not the place to try and save money. I know that new pilots get overwhelmed very quickly with all the things they have to buy, but the radio is the one item that you can keep using for years and years. Buy a good one and take care of it, and you'll save a lot more money than you would have by buying the cheapest thing on the market and hoping for the best.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:55 AM
AllModesR/C

Originally Posted by jester_s1
Yes, if you are going to refuse to buy anything made in China you probably are in the wrong hobby. Chinese manufacturing has improved over the years. Yes, they still make bargain basement junk, but they also are capable of building good stuff too. Airtronics is made in China and has always had a good reputation for quality. All of the ARFs are made there, and chances are components of everything made in other places are made there. The place of manufacture is not as important as the brand and their dedication to quality. I've never been impressed with FlySky stuff based on internet anecdotes, but it's not because it's made in China. It's because it's cheap, bargain basement radio gear that is made without significant quality control and doesn't have good warranties or service.
I noticed that the Chinese products that are of decent quality are the ones that are manufactured under the request and supervision of American or European firms. They don't have a choice then but to make a quality product as the western company would reject the product if not up to standards. What I was talking about was products designed, manufactured, and sold by Chinese companies, those almost always are very low quality. For example, I am also into personal watercraft (jet skis) and there is a Chinese manufacturer that sells Sea-Doo rip offs for a fraction of what the real thing costs. These things actually sold well in Europe only because PWCs are very expensive there, much more so than here. Well turns out the machines were complete junk with virtually no factory support.

Originally Posted by jester_s1
Frankly, the radio is not the place to try and save money. I know that new pilots get overwhelmed very quickly with all the things they have to buy, but the radio is the one item that you can keep using for years and years. Buy a good one and take care of it, and you'll save a lot more money than you would have by buying the cheapest thing on the market and hoping for the best.
I agree 100%. I would rather buy a used brand name radio system than a new bottom of the barrel cheapie.

Last edited by AllModesR/C; 11-15-2014 at 07:57 AM.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:19 AM
AllModesR/C

Hey guys, I just can't seem to catch a break. I am at the field right now and am having stater problems. The starter just refuses to turn the engine over. I am starting away from the compression stroke. I tried removing the glow plug and turning it over and no fuel comes out so I do not think it is flooded. Even with the glow plug removed it turns it over very slowly like something is wrong. I tried two different starters and two different batteries and still have the same issue. Any ideas before I pack it up and head home?
Old 11-15-2014, 11:43 AM
AllModesR/C

I got the starter to turn the engine over and now it won't start lol. Maybe it's the cold temperature.

Yup, it was the cold ambient temperature. I took the plane inside my van and blasted the heater for 30 minutes and sure enough it started then. So does anyone have tips on starting nitro engines in cold temps? I plan on flying all winter so this will help me a lot.

Anyways, I soloed today by myself (no instructor.) It went very well. Real Flight 7.5 is a great tool. Unbelievably realistic.

Last edited by AllModesR/C; 11-15-2014 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:19 PM
AllModesR/C

What do you guys think of this?

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/tag/4762029977.html

He has a Futaba t4exa for sale. I know it's 72 mhz but it looks like a nice radio. Would my Hitec servos work with this receiver?
Old 11-20-2014, 07:10 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

In response to your question on buying the Futaba t4exa, I'll quote your own post:

"I agree 100%. I would rather buy a used brand name radio system than a new bottom of the barrel cheapie."

That radio is, by definition, a bottom of the barrel cheapie. It was originally made for people who wanted something cheap, and what's available now has surpassed it in every way. Here's the problem with it: age takes its toll. Let's say that radio is 10 years old. It could be much older, but we don't know. Chances are, the battery is no good, because no one is going to go buy a new battery for a radio like that just to turn around and sell it. So add the cost of a new battery to the budget. Then there are the unknowns:A past user may have
changed the frequency without sending the radio in to be retuned. That will hurt the range and cause you to have a crash when you get far enough away. How about the receivers? Have they ever been in a crash? Cracked crystals will cause intermittent losses of signal usually brought on by vibration at some point. How much did your plane cost again? How many times has the transmitter been dropped? How has it been stored? You don't know.
Then there's the problem of forward compatibility. Nearly all of us at some point in the hobby want or need a more capable radio with better programming or more channels. And it's really nice when we can use our existing receivers with the new radio. Forget it with 72mhz though.

Save your money for a while and buy a new good quality 6 channel computer radio. I'm really impressed with Graupner's stuff in the "bang for your buck" category. But Hitec and Airtronics give you a pretty good value also. Since you're not going to be working with an instructor, you are free to pick whatever brand you want to. That's what I meant above by the comment that this is not a place to save money. It's perfectly good to save money by buying used airframes or engines, because you can see easily enough if they are airworthy. Ditto for field gear like starters and field boxes. But radios aren't as easy to check out, and since the technology has advanced so much over the last few years you are giving up so much by buying an old one. Invest in a good radio today and leave yourself with one less thing to worry about.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:23 AM
Gray Beard

I agree with buying new. I still have a couple of radios in the shop. One is the Hitec 7 and it was a great radio. I switched because it only programed 3 planes. I don't want to give it to anyone because of it's age. It needs a new battery too. If I gave it to someone and they crashed a plane due to a radio problem I would feel it was my fault and probably get a lot of bad feed back here about it.
As I recall it is one that has an internal battery to hold model memory? If so it has never been replaced and that would cost more then the radio is worth? It just isn't worth the risk of loosing a nice plane.
I just looked at the Graupner radios in the tower catalog last night. They look OK but I do wonder where they are made? Just wondering because of the price. Even if something is made here in the states there are still Chinese components. They are even in our TVs and refrigerators, most everything we buy today. Just the way things are these days.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:43 PM
AllModesR/C

Which brand of radio(s) are compatible with my old Hitec HS300 servos? I'd like the keep the servos I have if possible. Also do modern 2.4 GHZ system come with servos or just the TX and RX?

Last edited by AllModesR/C; 11-20-2014 at 07:46 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:01 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Gray Beard
. One is the Hitec 7 and it was a great radio.
As I recall it is one that has an internal battery to hold model memory? If so it has never been replaced and that would cost more then the radio is worth? It .

GB Hitec transmitters have all used non-volatile memories including your Prism 7X, They have never needed memory batterys.

AllModes the Hitec (s) plug on your Hitec servos are compatible with all the modern current plugs including the JR, Airtronics (Z) and Futaba (J).

John
Old 11-20-2014, 08:35 PM
Gray Beard

Thanks John, I didn't know that. I was looking around the shop today and discovered I had an extra TX battery that I had put on a hitec end?? Why?? I haven't a clue but it is under a year old. I think I will spark up the old hitec radio and see what planes I last used it for.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:35 PM
AllModesR/C

Originally Posted by JohnBuckner
GB Hitec transmitters have all used non-volatile memories including your Prism 7X, They have never needed memory batterys.

AllModes the Hitec (s) plug on your Hitec servos are compatible with all the modern current plugs including the JR, Airtronics (Z) and Futaba (J).

John
Thank you, that is great news. I will definitely save up some money this winter and get a real nice system for the 60 by the spring time. I have the 40 to fly over the winter months.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:07 AM
AllModesR/C

Alright guys I know I said I I wll get a 2.4 ghz system but ran across something very nice on ebay. It is a Hitec Optic computer TX with the synthesized Spectra module. It is converted to a Lipo battery. I think I will get this. What do you all think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hitec-Optic-...item2ed9a68583
Old 11-30-2014, 02:03 PM
AllModesR/C

Can any of you experienced guys tell me why my engine keeps priming up to the point my starter can't turn it over? Every time I go out to the field I have trouble getting my engine to turn over. Once it gets spinning it starts no problem. It's just that it primes up really fast and my starter does not have enough torque to turn it. What a headache.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:45 PM
Tom Nied

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Well, I don't know your starting procedure, but if you are priming/choking before you're actually starting, you might be bringing too much fuel into the engine. If the tank is a bit high, it could just flow into the engine. My first trainer was a SIG Kadet Senior, its tank was a little high and I ended up using a clothespin on the fuel line to prevent flooding. Once started, I would just take the clothespin off. It ran fine from then on.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:03 PM
AllModesR/C

Originally Posted by Tom Nied
Well, I don't know your starting procedure, but if you are priming/choking before you're actually starting, you might be bringing too much fuel into the engine. If the tank is a bit high, it could just flow into the engine. My first trainer was a SIG Kadet Senior, its tank was a little high and I ended up using a clothespin on the fuel line to prevent flooding. Once started, I would just take the clothespin off. It ran fine from then on.
I don't prime it at all. Just fill the tank with fuel and start trying to turn it over with the starter. The clothespin is not a bad idea. I will try that. By the way how much torque should these electric starters have? If you hold it in your hand should they spin? I am thinking maybe my battery is weak but then again I have the same problem with a different starter and battery so issue is most likely in the glow engine.

Last edited by AllModesR/C; 11-30-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:10 PM
Tom Nied

You might have to put some rubber bands on the clothespin to make it pinch the fuel line tight enough. A hemostat would also work.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:31 PM
Tom Nied

I can't give you a measurement of how mugh torque you should have, but with a properly charged battery, any current starters should have enough torque to spin a 40 sized engine. Make sure you apply the starter after making sure the prop is not at the start of the compression stroke. Wind it up to just after top dead center so that the starter gets a chance to spin the prop before compression. The starter will never work right at compression.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:58 PM
AllModesR/C

I will charge up my starter battery and try again next weekend. Thanks for the help. Do you by any chance ever fly at the Schiller Park Field on Irving Park And Cumberland?
Old 11-30-2014, 04:14 PM
Tom Nied

Wow, haven't been there in ages. Used to go there to watch Controline contests back in the late 60's. I used to fly at Ned Brown Forest Preserve, controline. Now I'm out at Pratt Wayne DuPage Forest Preserve, because of where I live.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:23 PM
AllModesR/C

Originally Posted by Tom Nied
Wow, haven't been there in ages. Used to go there to watch Controline contests back in the late 60's. I used to fly at Ned Brown Forest Preserve, controline. Now I'm out at Pratt Wayne DuPage Forest Preserve, because of where I live.
I see. Let me know if you ever want to stop by and fly there.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:31 PM
Tom Nied

Going to have to be a warmer day. I'm now in fix/rebuild and finish mode. Maybe in the Spring.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.