Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Thunder Tiger Trainer 40 project

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Thunder Tiger Trainer 40 project

Old 12-01-2014, 10:40 AM
bikerbc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure you don't have too much fuel in your engine preventing it from turning over . If it is flooded with fuel you can seriously damage the engine trying to turn it over with an electric starter . If I suspect mine is flooded I will pull my plug and spin it over . That will clear the extra fuel out with out hurting anything . There are other ways to do it and probably cleaner ways that don't spray the extra fuel all over but this way works . Make sure your throttle is closed when you are fueling up , Make sure your tank is not too high .and make sure you have a pressure relief in your tank when you are fueling up . Most important ,if you suspect your engine is flooded do not try to spin it with the starter. You can bend a rod very easily . Its called Hydro lock . Clear the flood first ..
Old 12-01-2014, 08:09 PM
AllModesR/C

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bikerbc
Make sure you don't have too much fuel in your engine preventing it from turning over . If it is flooded with fuel you can seriously damage the engine trying to turn it over with an electric starter . If I suspect mine is flooded I will pull my plug and spin it over . That will clear the extra fuel out with out hurting anything . There are other ways to do it and probably cleaner ways that don't spray the extra fuel all over but this way works . Make sure your throttle is closed when you are fueling up , Make sure your tank is not too high .and make sure you have a pressure relief in your tank when you are fueling up . Most important ,if you suspect your engine is flooded do not try to spin it with the starter. You can bend a rod very easily . Its called Hydro lock . Clear the flood first ..
The funny thing is whenever I take out the glow plug and spin it no fuel ever shoots out.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:12 PM
AllModesR/C

Another day at the field ended in disappointment. The starter just can't spin the engine. I charged the starter battery all of last night. I know it is not flooded because I took the glow plug out and spun it and no fuel shoots out. I am really at a loss here.

Last edited by AllModesR/C; 12-06-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:34 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AllModesR/C
Another day at the field ended in disappointment. The starter just can't spin the engine. I charged the the starter battery all of last night. I know it is not flooded because I took the glow plug out and spun it and no fuel shoots out. I am really at a loss here.
Go to Harbor Freight and buy an 18 volt battery and charger for there electric drill and wire it up to your starter. If my old starter can zing over my YS 120s and a DLE 30cc it should be able to roll over any engine you have or will have for some time.
Hand flipping also works very well. If your afraid of getting bit then a chicken stick works great too. Hand starting is what we did before we had electric starters.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:01 PM
AllModesR/C

Gray beard, how do you hand flip? I tried doing it but it just moves the prop really slow obviously not enough speed to get the engine to fire.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:05 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Yeah, something seems radically wrong. Will the starter spin with no load? How old is your starter battery?
Old 12-06-2014, 06:12 PM
AllModesR/C

Originally Posted by Tom Nied
Yeah, something seems radically wrong. Will the starter spin with no load? How old is your starter battery?
Yes, it will spin the engine no problem with the glow plug removed. As soon as I put the glow plug in and the engine has compression it can't spin it past the compression point. The battery is probably about 5 years old. I have another dry cell motorcycle battery that I hooked up to the starter and I have the same issue. I even tried another starter and the same problem. However, this morning before heading out to the field I tried starting the engine at my house and it was able to turn it. But the engine was at room temperature. Seems as soon as I head out into the cold the engine becomes more difficult for the starter to spin. Almost like the cold temps make the head shrink slightly which causes more resistance perhaps?

Last edited by AllModesR/C; 12-14-2014 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:41 PM
Tom Nied

Well today wasn't too bad in the Chicagoland area but still, temps in the 30's greatly has an affect on your battery's ability. So I'm wondering if just the temps are hindering you? I know when I was out about 3 weeks ago in 40 degree weather, I was starting to see those promblems creeping in. What is your Ah rating for the battery? Try starting it at home before you even go out.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:13 PM
AllModesR/C

Well today wasn't too bad in the Chicagoland area but still, temps in the 30's greatly has an affect on your battery's ability. So I'm wondering if just the temps are hindering you? I know when I was out about 3 weeks ago in 40 degree weather, I was starting to see those promblems creeping in. What is your Ah rating for the battery? Try starting it at home before you even go out.
I don't know if it is the battery or an engine issue. Can you guys just tell me how you get the prop spinning with enough momentum by hand? I want to try doing it the old fashioned way.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:21 PM
Tom Nied

I use a chicken stick, but a good leather glove works ok too. Just get the prop right up to compression and give it a really smart flip. If conditions (choked and fuel up to the carb) are good you should be able to start it. My Magnum XLS .15 starts easily this way. I like to have my prop at one o clock at the start of compression so that I can just flip over the top smartly. Make sure your glow starting battery is hot also. As temps go down, the harder it gets. The warmer you can keep things the better.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFU02&P=7

Last edited by Tom Nied; 12-06-2014 at 08:28 PM. Reason: added material
Old 12-06-2014, 10:10 PM
Lightning Fan
My Feedback: (17)

On your engine starting issue ...
How do you fill the tank? Do you pull the line off the engine and fill on that pulled line? Or is there a separate connection to fill from, that you plug up later? Or ... is there a fancy "fueler" between the tank and the engine?
The reason I ask these questions is that if the engine suction line is attached to the engine while you are fueling, and the tank is high, then it is possible to fill the crankcase of the engine before the tank gets completely filled. However, if you have only two lines coming off the tank, and you use the one that goes to the engine to fill with, then this is not the problem with possible flooding of your engine.
Just because fuel does not come out the glow plug hole when the engine is turned over, with the plug out, does not mean that the engine was not flooded. The lower part of the engine could still have quite a bit of fuel in it even after doing that test.
When the starter will not turn the engine over, have you tried removing the plug igniter and turning the prop over by hand? If it is pretty hard to do that, stop doing it because the engine is flooded and you need to get the fuel out of it first. Part of my start sequence is to verify the plug igniter is off, grab a prop blade and turn the engine by hand to ensure the cylinder is clear and the spinner will not be spinning a locked up engine. Out of long habit , I'll probably then flip it a couple of times as we did in the Era of No Starters and Castor Is King.
If you cannot pull the engine through easily, then lift the plane, roll it so that the engine exhaust port is pointed down, and rotate the prop until it gets easy to turn. Then raise the nose so that it is vertical, and you should probably see fuel drain out of the muffler.
The experiments where you were able to start the engine in the van and at home MIGHT simply be because you moved the plane around and happened to drain the fuel from a flooded engine.

All the above is not relevant if you have a two line fuel tank and you pull the engine line to fill.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:05 AM
AllModesR/C

I pull the suction line from the carb inlet to fuel.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:28 AM
Gray Beard

What the heck is a suction line?? The main line goes to the carb and the pressure line is from the muffler. If you leave the main line connected and try to fill the tank through the pressure line fuel won't go into the tank. You remove both lines and fill and drain from the main line.
You really need an instructor to teach you how to operate your plane and equipment, your having way too much trouble with the basics. An instructor could get you going with both plane and engine in about 10 minutes but it has to be a hands on deal. Engines run a bit different in the cold but not a huge amount, just a bit harder to start. Unless you have a battery that is really down on power or a completely worn out starter there shouldn't be any problem rolling over your engine.
Get a real instructor to teach you how to do things hands on. I teach my students how to start and tune an engine in the morning and by the end of the day they have it figured out. Then it just takes them a little time to be comfortable doing it by themselves.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:04 PM
AllModesR/C

I though it was called a suction line because it sucks fuel from the tank. This isn't my first rodeo with nitro engines having had cars and boats in the past. Never have I had this much starting difficulties though. Next Saturday my club is having an event at the field so I will go and hopefully get some much needed help there.

Last edited by AllModesR/C; 12-08-2014 at 06:12 AM.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:43 AM
Calvinman

Hi AllModes, it sure sounds like your batteries are hootched, you said you tried another starter was it with the same battery or someone elses battery, can you try the starter off of your car battery without taking it out?. I find that hand starting a cold engine very hard to do so I would stick to using an electric. Make sure there is not a bunch of afterrun oil in your motor getting thick in the cold and if you can warm up your engine before starting it.

Good luck,
Calvi.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:41 AM
AllModesR/C

I went to the field yesterday and the engine started no problem. However it was in the low 40's here in Chicago. So I am convinced cold temps below 35 f or so make this motor hard to turn over.

On another note, I bent the front landing gear a bit on a rough landing. Should I attempt to bend it back into shape or just buy a new one?

Last edited by AllModesR/C; 12-14-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:51 AM
Calvinman

I would remove the gear if you can and bend it back. If it is hard to remove the gear be carefull you do not damage the aircraft bending the gear back.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:00 PM
Gray Beard

Once in the 30s and below they are a bit harder to roll over but a good starter with a good battery shouldn't have any problems spinning an engine. The main thing I notice is they need to warm up a bit before I take off. I let them run at about 4K rpm for about a minute then they are fine the rest of the day. If it's a new engine after it has been run in it will also be easier to roll over.
From our summer 110 degree weather to our 20 degree winters the high speed needle only needs to be moved about 4 clicks to compensate for the temp difference. Other then that I almost never touch the adjustments. I watch other guys twisting the needles after every flight? If it ran good to begin with then nothing should have changed.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:47 PM
Tom Nied

If the nose gear is just bent a little, I have just grasped the engine very securely (because it is mounted to the firewall) and just pulled on the gear forward to bring it back to it's original shape. Main gear, same thing but use a small level so that you can see the plane is level (not nose up or down). Otherwise removiing and straightening is also an option. Done both. But this is common with planes with wire landing gear. Don't sweat it, just bend it back. After awhile, you know just how must to pull on it to bring it back.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:10 PM
AllModesR/C

If the nose gear is just bent a little, I have just grasped the engine very securely (because it is mounted to the firewall) and just pulled on the gear forward to bring it back to it's original shape. Main gear, same thing but use a small level so that you can see the plane is level (not nose up or down). Otherwise removiing and straightening is also an option. Done both. But this is common with planes with wire landing gear. Don't sweat it, just bend it back. After awhile, you know just how must to pull on it to bring it back.
I couldn't bend it back perfectly so I went ahead and removed it from the plane. Had to remove the engine cowl and engine to do it but it's fine because i wanted to clean the fuel residue out of there anyways. I can't bend it back properly so do you know where I can just buy a new landing gear? It measures exactly 5 and 7/16 inches from top to bottom of the horizontal part that holds the wheel.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:20 PM
Tom Nied

Tower http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...93p?&C=QDJ&P=9 But if you have the old one out, strongly advise you put it into a vise and pull it back.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:31 PM
AllModesR/C

Thanks, I went ahead and ordered a new one. It's $4. Besides I don't even have a vise.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:54 PM
Tom Nied

A vise is an essential tool, you really need one. Nothing special, but something that will aid especially in these situations. http://www.menards.com/main/tools-ha...293-c-9135.htm
Old 12-14-2014, 09:06 PM
Gray Beard

Harbor Freight is your friend. With a good vise and a selection of piano wire, gear legs are easy to make. Most any hobby shop has nose gear. I only have one trike geared plane but for some reason I have several of the store bought nose gears on hand? Over time things just happen.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:10 PM
AllModesR/C

Does anyone where I can find an identical nose gear for the 40 trainer? I keep bending it for some reason on landings. I bought one from Tower Hobbies and it was too long.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.