Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Almost crash trying different pitch.

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Almost crash trying different pitch.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 07:08 AM
a70eliminator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Almost crash trying different pitch.

I had a good lesson yesterday with my Sig Kadet LT-40, changed prop from an 11-8 to a 12x6 looking for less speed and more thrust. Mission accomplished, didn't change my landing pattern and less speed = tip stall, amazing no damage. So, I practiced a couple more landings and learning more on how to come in really slow just above stall and blip the throttle to keep it flying, I'm wanting to learn how to land the plane in a tight space like my backyard, it's 90' wide and 150yrds from back treeline to the house, need to come down like a crow.
I have all the room I need + some where I fly now but want to get good enough to fly from my own yard someday.

Last edited by a70eliminator; 09-30-2014 at 07:39 AM.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:07 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

450 ft is plenty of room for a 40 size trainer. you need to practice getting her down within 50 ft of the threshold( end of runway) Remember that elevator controls speed and throttle altitude. A steep approach followed by pulling in elevator near the end will kill your speed and allow you to drop it right in.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:47 AM
a70eliminator

Thanks I'm learning that for sure, my 450'x90' is surrounded by trees so I have no choice but to go up-up-up and away, with the 60 on my kadet it goes vertical pretty good, but coming to land i have to practice at what you said and should be ok once I get that technique nailed. Been practicing flying slow as possible using elevator and throttle at just above a stall, so now I have to do just that only at high altitude and stall it right down into my opening.

Last edited by a70eliminator; 09-30-2014 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:23 PM
jetmech05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the mean time don't fly beyond your or your airplanes capabilities. Practice practice practice at your local field to get it down good.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:53 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have one field that had a big tree dead center of the approach, one day the tree just disappeared? Nothing but a stump with chain saw marks on it. Funny how things like that happen. Made landing approaches much easier. Must have been magic in the night but this is Vegas and magic happens a lot.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:32 PM
a70eliminator

I heard them Beavers of the Northwest get really big. Someday I'll have to get the chainsaw, I'm going to post a pic of my field tomorrow from my work computer. I wouldn't have ever thought about flying from my yard until now as I'm getting better at putting the plane where I want it.

Best I could do taken out the dining rm window, this is my landing strip of approximately 150yds by 90' wide trees all around.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20140930_164130.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	2036506   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140930_164130.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	2036507  

Last edited by a70eliminator; 10-01-2014 at 05:25 AM.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:09 AM
jetmech05

The thing about your "field" is the altitude you have to have on the down wind leg to keep the airplane in sight. Those look to be pretty tall trees on either side of the runway.
I think I'd try a long approach. But I don't think I'd try it often. Gotta think of the what ifs. What if I had to go around. What if a deer walked out on the runway or a kid. And lastly your house looks to be on the end of the runway.
perhaps the question shouldn't be can I, but should I. Can't tell you the number of times I've been out front. Said to my self over that house drop altitude on this side of the power lines, check for cars, touch down in front of my house. I never would. But I have thought about it
good luck
Old 10-01-2014, 06:32 AM
a70eliminator

I have made two flights in and out of this field with a Midwest Hots/ OS46, first flight I had to dump it rather than flare it on landing, not pretty but survivable, the second landing was high up a tree when I though I had the woods cleared but not. I have become much better of a flyer since then and feel pretty confident, my house sits in a secluded wooded area, my kids are grown, and deer are of no concern whatsoever, the only thing that worries me a little is loosing sight but visibility will improve greatly once the trees drop their leaves. The only way in to crow steep and slow, flare at the last minute, I would love to watch an expert show me how easy it can be made to look.

Last edited by a70eliminator; 10-01-2014 at 06:40 AM.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:55 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

What about neighbors? Do you have any? Have you talked with them about noise or potentially crashing in their yard?
Old 10-01-2014, 07:35 AM
rcmichael
My Feedback: (21)

If you have an accident and say damage a neighbors house or car etc, you could be in for some serious problems. You are not allowed to fly (legally) within 1000 feet of residential areas. FCC regulates all radio transmission controlled vehicles. The FAA could even become involved. My advice is fly at a regulated field, and make flying safer and more fun.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:56 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What you need to learn is how to do a descending spiral.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:03 AM
a70eliminator

Flycatch, I can't believe you didn't jump on that bandwagon. A guy learning to fly his model airplane on his own property out in the country bashed for being a law breaking irresponsible dangerous menace to society, typical internet forum stuff, I should have known.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:20 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I only mentioned this procedure because it is a logical approach to a difficult situation. Personally I was taught this method while learning to fly gliders.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:13 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Add flaps or flaperon, Might help for the shorter approach
Old 10-02-2014, 11:11 AM
600Bob

Originally Posted by rcmichael
If you have an accident and say damage a neighbors house or car etc, you could be in for some serious problems. You are not allowed to fly (legally) within 1000 feet of residential areas. FCC regulates all radio transmission controlled vehicles. The FAA could even become involved. My advice is fly at a regulated field, and make flying safer and more fun.
Huh? FAA regulates full scale aircraft and licensed pilots, not RC models flown line of sight unless you are near an airport. RC transmitters are a Part 15 device, no license required and can be used anywhere just like your WiFi router. If not so the FAA and FCC would have been all over people flying in public parks and school sports fields.

Now you would be liable for breaking the neighbors windshield or other property of course.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:30 AM
a70eliminator

Which would be covered by my homeowners insurance policy, if I had any neighboring windows to break which I don't.
My home is finally paid off and I have 8acres of land and hope to someday build my own airstrip, probem is it's mostly wooded, good for hunting and fuel for my wood burner but that's about it.

Last edited by a70eliminator; 10-02-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:38 PM
rcmichael
My Feedback: (21)

True the FAA doesn't get involved unless there is an airport nearby OR if there is any incident involving full scale operations. No where in the forum did it rule out the afore mentioned possibilities.The recent drone controversy shows how the FAA is interested in controlling whatever they can. Park flyers are allowed due to their small size and weight. Since I don't fly them I can't give parameters for their legal use.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:29 PM
Calvinman

You may want to practice(at altitude) doing a split S onto final, that way you will always be over the centre line. I can pull this off if there is a strong wind, I just have to flip the plane quickly so as not to build up too much speed, but not so quick as to snap it in. Flaps and spoiler would help a great deal.

Calvi