Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

"experts"

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

"experts"

Old 10-22-2014, 07:13 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 175 Likes on 150 Posts

Good question. What does qualify one to be refered to as an R/C expert? Someone who has worked in the industry? Successful competition history? Capable of designing their own models? Builds for hire? High number of posts on RCU?
Old 10-22-2014, 07:49 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I've been using the internet since 1994, so I think I'm a bit of an expert on what it's like to use the internet (yes, I'm being ironic).

What has always jumped out at me, and I've been the perpetrator in the past myself, is that an awful lot of guys have as their actual hobby reading about a hobby on an online forum (was newsgroups before that) and then repeating what they've read as if it's their own experience talking. I call these guys "internet experts" because the only place that they actually seem to know anything is when they are typing on their keyboards. In real life, they are imbeciles.
So on the examples mentioned above about Edge 540s and Cubs- it's very easy to find out on RCU that these are not beginner planes. There are many threads on both where a pilot got a big surprise that cost him a crash and many more where pilots complain that they just can't get the hang of flying these planes. So the internet expert sees that, and now he knows to tell forum newbies to stay away from those planes because they are hard to fly. He's never flown them himself, but that doesn't matter.

If a guy is going to use an online forum for his primary source of information, he needs to read very broadly and evaluate his sources. We have to keep in mind that every single post on RCU was written by someone who took the time to do it for free. The most knowledgeable people don't educate for free, so it's frequently the blind leading the blind on here.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:21 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason I am concerned about noobies reading these conflicting opinions is that I sense that this great hobby of ours is declining markedly, and when the current folks are gone, who is going to perpetuate the hobby? If we, as seasoned veterans of the hobby, scare young folks or any noobie off because we can't agree on the simplest of points, we will have nobody to blame but ourselves. Just dare to get on the engines forum and ask for opinions on, say for example, Evolution engines and see how opposed the comments can be. All from people who claim to really "know". This has to really confuse a new guy who is honestly trying to figure out what engine to buy as his first nitro engine. If I didn't already have very definite ideas about Evolution engines from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, I would have no idea whether to take a chance on one or not. Sadly, I believe Jester is correct in saying a lot of folks who have never owned an Evolution engine would give their opinion, making it sound like fact from their own experience.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:46 PM
bikerbc

Yes I agree with JollyPopper Sometimes guys offer their opinions on subjects that they have no personal experience with and it is often conflicting with the opinions of others who do have personal experience and it would be confusing to a newcomer . What I have done in the past is do a little research on each contributor and see what their history is like . That sometimes helps . If you hang around long enough you will start to recognize different guys that consistently offer good advice . There is often more than one right answer to a question too and it doesn't need to end up in an argument . It is often just how you read and interpreted the question . Most of us truly want to help each other . All of our experiences are different , I have a Great Planes Fabric covered Cub that used to be a bit of a challenge to take off until I put a set of Robarts gear on it , That made a world of difference . Same plane but different set up and completely different experience flying it . I often read thru threads that I find interesting that I have contributed to and I will see something somebody else has contributed and I will think ' I wish I had said that , I try to remember those guys and those are the guys I pay attention to . Guys like Grey Beard and John Buckner Jester ,jolly Popper and many others
Old 10-22-2014, 10:35 PM
jim billings

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My large Cub flies well and is no problem on the ground. It is from HobbyKing. And it's converted to electric instead of gas/nitro. And I'm almost a noobie. And I couldn't resist.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:09 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Good question. What does qualify one to be refered to as an R/C expert? Someone who has worked in the industry? Successful competition history? Capable of designing their own models? Builds for hire? High number of posts on RCU?
Pretty sure it's post count, real world experience should have little to do with it
Old 10-23-2014, 03:09 AM
Tony Iannucelli
My Feedback: (193)

I know the feeling Jim. But how on earth could you be an expert with 44 posts to your credit? Oh, I get it. You are actually out flying and not chained to your computer....
The 'experts' here have 3,000, 5,000, 10,000 and more. Seriously, how can someone 'achieve' those totals?? I've been on RCU going back to the 90s. It's not possible unless you type really really fast.....
So step back, get your popcorn ready.... I'm headed to the field.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:17 AM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Pretty sure it's post count, real world experience should have little to do with it
Then I'm coming to you for all my answers, your count is the highest I have seen. LOL It's not really on the internet either. I get approached at the field all the time, asked a question and then the club member either argues or ignores what I have told him. I have pulled back helping guys at the field as well. The way I look at it, I'm more then happy to spend some time with a person who will accept the help, not so much for someone who gathers up a bunch of answers and selects the one he wants to hear. Sometimes the fix to your issues requires work or admitting what you have been doing was the wrong thing. Lots of people want the easy fix and some guys just never admit they are wrong. I hate to sound like a jerk but when guys argue over the fixes I have suggested I just ask them if they have ever seen my stuff not work and walk away.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:27 AM
BarracudaHockey

Originally Posted by Tony Iannucelli
I know the feeling Jim. But how on earth could you be an expert with 44 posts to your credit? Oh, I get it. You are actually out flying and not chained to your computer....
The 'experts' here have 3,000, 5,000, 10,000 and more. Seriously, how can someone 'achieve' those totals?? I've been on RCU going back to the 90s. It's not possible unless you type really really fast.....
So step back, get your popcorn ready.... I'm headed to the field.
1. Length of time, I've been around RCU a while.
2. You're correct, I type really really fast.
3. I work in IT so I AM chained to the computer (computers actually) all day, so while monitoring servers, waiting for scripts to run against big databases and sitting on conference calls that require little or no input and occasionally even less attention, I try to participate here.

Don't get me wrong, I spend a fair amount of time in the shop (speaker phones are awesome for that), and at the field
Old 10-23-2014, 04:49 AM
BobbyMcGee

I work in IT so I AM chained to the computer (computers actually) all day, so while monitoring servers, waiting for scripts to run against big databases and sitting on conference calls that require little or no input and occasionally even less attention, I try to participate here.
HYSTERICAL !!!! But so true!
LMAO ...

I'm not a total IT guy, but I know what you are referring to.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:52 AM
BobbyMcGee

Not only post count, but it's also how much time you have spent on your RealFlight simulator program, and what version you have. Can't forget about that expert requirement.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:02 AM
rcmiket

I'm a expert......or am I ?

Mike
Old 10-23-2014, 05:07 AM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I'm a expert......or am I ? Mike
321 posts to go for expert status. 5,000 posts are required for super expert and 10,000 for the title of Guru. To rack up posts quickly look for threads on oil, glow plugs, cross wind and battery setups for giant scale.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:10 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not saying that I am an EXPERT, I just know what I know !

And you know what you know !
Old 10-23-2014, 05:13 AM
Granpooba

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not saying that I am an EXPERT, I just know what " I KNOW " !

And you know what you know .
Old 10-23-2014, 06:30 AM
TimJ

Originally Posted by JollyPopper
THIS IS NOT A RANT!!!!!!!!!!!! One thing I have noticed over the years, not only on this forum but on every forum I have ever read to any extent, the folks who profess to "know" something do not always agree. One guy can make a simple statement and the very next post will directly contradict that statement. For instance a guy can say something like "an Edge 540 is easy to fly" and the very next post will say something like "an Edge 540 is a real handful to fly". Now, it seems to me that "experts" should agree on any aspect of a particular subject, shouldn't they? Maybe what they should have said is "boy, my experience with an Edge 540 went smooth as glass" and the other guy could say something like "man, my experience with an Edge 540 really sucked". This could be really confusing to a noobie, maybe to the point that they will either drop out of the forum or completely quit the hobby. I don't know what the answer is. Both guys in my example were completely honest with respect to their personal experiences, but those experiences led them to make very conflicting statements. Where is a noobie to go to get really valid advice?

And then, of course, there are those few who lurk in the shadows and jump at every chance they see to be contrary and contradict someone else's observations. We soon learn who those folks are and tend to disregard their responses, even though they may write quite well and seem to be an "expert" on every aspect of every subject.

Maybe this is a rant.
Just my opinion. The forums are no longer a factor in the hobby. Most people in the hobby don't pay attention to forums like in the past.

Jolly, the better response from self professed experts would be "[insert manufacture] Edge 540 was or wasn't the easiest to fly"

The best thing a new comer can do is find someone at the field whom fly's the same aircraft they are interested in. Or search for youtube videos of the aircraft you are interested in.

5 manufactures can release an Edge 540, and there is a large possibility that all 5 will perform differently.

Also, each self proclaimed expert has a different skill set in their hobby.

Unfortunately there's really not a good answer to the forums. Length of time does not qualify someone as an expert.(this just means they have been a member) Amount of posts does not qualify someone as a expert. (this only shows someone how much of a keyboard jockey they are)

In my opinion, the best thing is head out to the local field or club and seek out people whom fly the same type of aircraft you are interested in.

Last edited by TimJ; 10-23-2014 at 06:38 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:48 AM
BarracudaHockey

Just curious if you're claiming I'm a keyboard jockey because I have a high PC?
Old 10-23-2014, 06:58 AM
speedracerntrixie

Yes Andy, you need to get out and fly more. Take videos of your flights as proof. Then maybe we will take you seriously. LOLSeriously, most people are capable of weeding out who knows his stuff and who does not. It's when you call out one of the keyboard pilots that the drama starts.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:05 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by BullardRM
The definition of an "Expert" -----a drip under pressure.
You forgot ex=hasbeen. Expert = has been drip under pressure.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:50 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This an interesting thread. How can RCU help a newcomer to the forum judge the quality of the advice given. We have done something for the market place with the ratings system. I guess we could think about rating people who give advice. I am involved in another forum in an unrelated area and we do have such a system, it is based on the number of times a forum member is thanked by another member. Unfortunately it tends to be the prolific givers of advice who have high ratings even if their advice can be suspect at times.

One thing we have done is make members who have commercial interests in hobby declare this in their sig line.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:04 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

An expert is a person who knows' something about everything but not enough about something.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:10 AM
TimJ

Originally Posted by j.duncker
This an interesting thread. How can RCU help a newcomer to the forum judge the quality of the advice given. We have done something for the market place with the ratings system. I guess we could think about rating people who give advice. I am involved in another forum in an unrelated area and we do have such a system, it is based on the number of times a forum member is thanked by another member. Unfortunately it tends to be the prolific givers of advice who have high ratings even if their advice can be suspect at times.

One thing we have done is make members who have commercial interests in hobby declare this in their sig line.
It couldn't hurt to give it a try here.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:16 AM
rcjunky67

I'm wondering how many "noob's", not unlike myself,( even after 5 years I;m still learning new things about this hobby) started out late in life. I myself didn't even know back then that RCU existed. I joined a local club and subscribed to a lot of different related magazines on the subject.

That being said, I doubt many "noob's" jump into this with both feet without knowing someone that's already involved in the hobby. I'm sure there may be some, but as you all well know , this is not a cheap hobby at all. And as such , I think we all have a responsibility to pass along what we've learned. At least to the best of our abilities anyway. And we also have a responsibility to not pass along any information that we are not sure is accurate. Good post , one and all. And some type of rating system may be good, just not sure it's totally needed.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:17 AM
rcjunky67

Oh yeah, I do fly a lot more than I type. LOL
Old 10-23-2014, 09:23 AM
daytonarc

I don't think you're a real keyboard jockey until you get 20,000 posts. Keep trying Andy, you are getting close.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.