Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

"experts"

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

"experts"

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 08:37 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

The longitudinal axis is a reference line even if imaginary that runs the entire length of the fuselage, this line generally runs parallel with one or more longerons, and generally 90 degrees to the firewall but not always, the main thing to keep in mind is to carry this line down the fuselage with the least amount of drag angle, as the airplane would fly in a normal level flight attitude, once the line is estsblished to 0 with earth, maintain the fuselage setting and go from there setting your A of I of the wing and horizantal stabs in relationship to the fuselage incidence +, -, or 0 depending your needs.

Bob

Last edited by sensei; 10-24-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:15 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jim billings
How do I measure the wing incidence? Is the reference a line from the lead edge through the wing to the trail edge? This assumes a line from the furthest point forward on the lead edge to the center of the trail edge. In that case, there is an obvious angle between that line and the bottom surface of a flat bottom wing or a semi symmetrical wing. This means the bottom surface of the wing would be pointed down if the line were used as "level". That seems contradictory. I don't want to be argumentative or take over this thread with my problems, so if there is a book (if there is such a thing as a book, anymore) that could guide me, please let me know. And thank all who have replied to my question. You are greatly appreciated.
O.K Jim, let's try to figure this thing out. Given that you are setting up a model airplane that will be well within the sub-sonic air space for flight. There are differences in sub-sonic, trans-sonic, and super sonic airflow, each with its own little differences. (BTW) I have several books but they are out in my barn right now and I have been very busy tonight. I spent the day as Line-Boss in a RC War Bird event, and will be doing it again tomorrow. I have worked several hours this PM making up a folder to assist a brand new AMA Contest Director to take over one of my annual Competition Fun-Fly events in Feb. 2015. After about 18 years of that event, I am about ready to take a rest. I don't really care to go out to the barn tonight, now 11:30 PM, so here is where we BE, Sir.
So let us forward to wing incidence. It is not a real problem in sub-sonic airflow. You can get away with most anything, but as you said that the horizontal stabilizer should be ZERO. Where to start? Draw a line from the center of the fuselage nose at the mid point of said nose to the mid-point of the tail section of the fuselage.
Draw a straight line parallel with the first line along where the horizontal stab center L.E. to back of the Stab again center of the thickness will be. Now you have a stab
position at ZERO incidence. That will fly and allow the airplane to do same if you do it properly.
Now if you are really all for perfect, use some stiff cardboard or some such paper and make a wing rib just like the root rib of your wing. Use this as a pattern for setting your wing at whichever incidence angle you choose. Personally a MODEL airplane does not need much of an incidence angle, but if you want it then do it. You will have adequate elevator trim to make the model think it has a positive wing incidence even if you don't, since you are not using a symmetrical wing. In the real world sub-sonic aircraft use 0 incidence for slab stabs. Many use a stab that is capable of rotating the slab leading edge for the ability to trim and such creates a lesser problem when approaching the trans-sonic range. Maybe you recall that in the later days of WW II fighters, many with conventional fixed stabs, and elevators with trim tabs had considerable problems when diving into the Trans-sonic envelope. The shock-wave could cover over the hinge line and the big machine got all upset and went the wrong way. It wasn't very nice.
In your rather slow flight envelope with a model, I dare say that you will not have that problem. Now if you have a model that calls for some incidence in the wing, so be it. Just measure the line between as you stated, make the incidence along that straight line. If that creates a need for extra down elevator, then simply add a couple degrees or maybe several degrees down-thrust of the engine. Way back in the Pattern Aerobatics competition days a symmetrical wing got 2-3 degrees up-thrust and the engine got a couple degrees down thrust. At power-up the engine is trying to pull down while the wing wants to fly up. Back to idle, the engine is NOT pulling and the wing has lesser air-flow so the couple degrees pretty much takes care of the problems. It's not so much to worry about and if you keep the Center-of-Gravity, CG, MAC, etc. in the 23-28% range, your machine will fly. Aft CG behind 32% of MAC, well I won't be there to assist you picking up the pieces.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:08 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by JollyPopper
THIS IS NOT A RANT!!!!!!!!!!!! One thing I have noticed over the years, not only on this forum but on every forum I have ever read to any extent, the folks who profess to "know" something do not always agree. One guy can make a simple statement and the very next post will directly contradict that statement. For instance a guy can say something like "an Edge 540 is easy to fly" and the very next post will say something like "an Edge 540 is a real handful to fly". Now, it seems to me that "experts" should agree on any aspect of a particular subject, shouldn't they? Maybe what they should have said is "boy, my experience with an Edge 540 went smooth as glass" and the other guy could say something like "man, my experience with an Edge 540 really sucked". This could be really confusing to a noobie, maybe to the point that they will either drop out of the forum or completely quit the hobby. I don't know what the answer is. Both guys in my example were completely honest with respect to their personal experiences, but those experiences led them to make very conflicting statements. Where is a noobie to go to get really valid advice?

And then, of course, there are those few who lurk in the shadows and jump at every chance they see to be contrary and contradict someone else's observations. We soon learn who those folks are and tend to disregard their responses, even though they may write quite well and seem to be an "expert" on every aspect of every subject. Maybe this is a rant.
If there is some disagreement and the conversation is civil with examples in discussion rather than to contradict, I have no problems with that. There are a few whose whole goal in life is to create conflict, whose opinions are spoken in a manner to be far superior to others without adequate backup expressed that rather grate than clarify and help. A few I have added to the ignore list. Here in RC Universe the moderators seem to do a better job putting abusive posters on time out than others. I've unsubcribed to some threads in other forums, because of a few unpleasant posters. Life is short, and about then I realize I need a life and move on to something else like building or flying a model aeroplane.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:35 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Andy - The Eagle Tree Guardian instructions require that the gyro is to be mounted level with leveled airframe. Step 1 would be: Level the airplane. Step 2 would be: Install the Guardian at the CG as level as possible in the pitch plane and the roll plane (there is some acceptable slop which the software will correct.) Step 3 would be: With the software active and computer connected to the Guardian, click the "Reset Level Pitch/Roll" button. The airplane is now ready to fly nice and level. The problem here is step 1. How do you determine when the airplane is "level"? Sensei - How do you position the fuselage longitudinally to 0 degrees? Dennis - Your solution is interesting but all I want is the Plane to fly straight and level when I'm not operating the sticks. It keeps me out of a lot of trouble like when I disable the gyro in flight and get more practice flying normally. If I screw up, a flip of a switch saves a lot of walking and tree climbing.
I understand Jim I just wanted you to realise that even though the gyro will hold you straight and level it may not stop you from gaining or loosing altitude. Depending on your airfoil shape airspeed will have an influence on your altitude. Mine took fine tuning to get it to fly straight and level at a given airspeed. I used my incidence meter and set the main wing at 0 degrees. I then leveled the platform for the gyro. I used the same block under the tail wheel I used to initially level the model to initiate the gyro at the field. I cut it from a piece of 2X2 balsa I had laying around. At the field I used the block under the tail wheel to hold the aircraft level while I initialised the gyro. When I flew the plane at half throttle with the gyro off then trimmed the plane for straight and level flight. Turned the gyro on and the plane wanted to climb. I kept raising the tail wheel with wood shims when I initialized the gyro until the plane did not vary much when the gyro was turned on. Unfortunately this is not a constant for this plane due to the lifting airfoil and the spring tail wheel the gyro each time will be close enough but a slight adjustment in throttle setting is needed to get the plane to fly straight and level.

Dennis
Old 10-25-2014, 02:52 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I finally get it. There are NO experts by the definition of expert, however there are truly some knowledgeable out there that will help and there are self-proclaimed know-it-alls that want to shine the brightest that are limited.

Thinking about bad posters and know-it-alls, I don't think I have every added anyone to RCU ignore list or even as much as reported a poster. I sort of have my own built in auto-ignore in my mind when using forums.

I rarely take any post in an electronic forum too seriously at all. I have been on the forums/chats since the days of bulletin boards and have learned a lot about this medium. For the most part people will type things in these chats/forums that they would never say in person.
Old 10-25-2014, 05:07 AM
VincentJ

Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

Cant speak for all, but I think joining a local club will yield you good results. In the club that I belong to there is wealth of talent that one can learn from. All of our club members are happy to share what they know to others that are learning the ropes. Making new friends at the flying field and not being afraid to make mistakes will make your hobby so much more enjoyable...
Old 10-25-2014, 05:28 AM
KW_Counter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remember, an "X" is a has been and a "spert" is a drip under pressure.

If someone has to tell you he is an expert in something, he probably isn't.
If someone has a bunch of credentials, it doesn't necessarily mean they know anything other than how to take tests.
If someone passes on the knowledge they have, they make good sense and their suggestion works - they should be listened to.
Be very careful who you listen to.

Yes, I'm cynical. It comes from experience.

Good Luck,
KW_Counter
Old 10-25-2014, 05:55 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's also a HUGE difference between theory and real life experience.I know guys that have all kinds of "knowledge " but none of it works in the real world.

Mike
Old 10-27-2014, 02:34 PM
bjr_93tz

Originally Posted by rcmiket
There's also a HUGE difference between theory and real life experience.I know guys that have all kinds of "knowledge " but none of it works in the real world.

Mike
Yes, but picking a chemist to perform a chefs job and visa versa would suggest a flaw in the selection process even though fundamentally they do the same thing.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:38 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

How do I measure the wing incidence? Is the reference a line from the lead edge through the wing to the trail edge? This assumes a line from the furthest point forward on the lead edge to the center of the trail edge. In that case, there is an obvious angle between that line and the bottom surface of a flat bottom wing or a semi symmetrical wing. This means the bottom surface of the wing would be pointed down if the line were used as "level". That seems contradictory. I don't want to be argumentative or take over this thread with my problems, so if there is a book (if there is such a thing as a book, anymore) that could guide me, please let me know. And thank all who have replied to my question. You are greatly appreciated.

Level would actually be the Datum line in which all of the elements of the aircraft are placed. This is a straight line running the length of the fuselage. This line is what is used to measure the rigging (incidences of the airplane).

For instance -2 degrees of engine thrust is relative to the datum, + 2 degrees of wing incidence is measured from the datum, and so on.

So, it just so happens that most modern IMAC type aerobatic planes have the datum line parallel with the top of the fuselage hatch.

I think that you may be over thinking this though. Just "Eye" level your plane before initiating your gyro, and that should be close enough.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:45 PM
vertical grimmace

Back to the "Expert" topic.

How many here actually know one of these ONLINE experts in person? That can be seriously frustrating as the cyber world is not generally the same as the real world. I will admit that I have engaged one of these persons in some pretty heated discussions in these forums. This is because the info being given was inaccurate, and would have been a serious dis service to the pilot asking the question. I had first person experience of their abilities. Funny how many revered this individuals experience in the forums, when in all reality they were a laughing stock at the flying field as by and large, they met with consistent failure.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:43 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace

How many here actually know one of these ONLINE experts in person? That can be seriously frustrating as the cyber world is not generally the same as the real world. I will admit that I have engaged one of these persons in some pretty heated discussions in these forums. This is because the info being given was inaccurate, and would have been a serious dis service to the pilot asking the question. I had first person experience of their abilities. Funny how many revered this individuals experience in the forums, when in all reality they were a laughing stock at the flying field as by and large, they met with consistent failure.

Could not not agree more! I once was invited to fly with an individual who was a regular here on RCU. He presented himself here as quite the engine expert and an above average pilot. I was shocked to realize that neither his engine nor his airplane were functioning anywhere near their potential. After that I took a break from RCU for a couple years ( unrelated reasons ). To my surprise when I came back a couple years ago, this same guy was regarded as one of the top engine experts here. He sure did write well though.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:57 PM
GallopingGhostler

There is a sense of power I imagine by such an individual. In the regular world, he is a nobody. All of a sudden, he is someone, an authority on the Internet, knows all the proper buzz words, eloquence in speech, etc. It's why I take just about everything said on Internet with a grain of salt. In the military they used to call such individuals barracks lawyers. It is one of the reasons why I don't post as much on the Internet. There's just no sense in having one's experiences denigrated, writing rebuttals, etc. It is a truly a waste of time, IYKWIM.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:29 AM
sensei

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace

I personally know a few of them right here on RCU that give "Expert" opinions on subjects they know very little or nothing about like building, covering, finishing, piloting, and so on. At times they even give rebuttal on these subjects and yet when I have witnessed their completed projects, presentations, or their piloting skills in person... Well that has been another story because even though they talk the talk, and do it well, they certainly have not walked the walk well. So like others have already stated, the best thing is to find a club and spend a little time watching, and watching without talking, this may take a few visits, but if you pay attention you will indeed see for yourself who is doing the flying and who takes their airplanes for a ride to the field spending the day talking tales of greatness from the constraints of their lawn chairs, who is organized and courteous throughout the day with their presence and flying skills and who is not, you will see individuals that can honestly build well and setup a clean installation of equipment and so on, and who the mullets are that need to be avoidance. Once you have done this you will then know from whom to seek help from.

The truth is there is some very good information to be gleamed from other model enthusiasts on line but I suppose it can be just too confusing sifting through all the BS and controversy that comes from the simplest of questions.

Bob
Old 10-28-2014, 06:11 AM
speedracerntrixie

When all else fails, find someone at the local club being successful at what you want to accomplish and do what he does. LOL. Fictitious story, " Joe " has a YS 1.40 and is having issues. " John " has a YS 1.40 and it runs flawless. Joe is complaining to Pete about what a POS his YS 1.40 is and is wondering what John did to his to make it run so well. Pete observes that John is running XX fuel and XX glow plug and asked Joe why he is not using the same. Joe replies that he does not want to go out and spend the money and wants to make the engine work with what he has. Pete replies " you sell your frustration awfully cheap ".
Old 10-28-2014, 06:12 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

LOL no kidding.

I'm not an expert but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express!
Old 10-29-2014, 08:33 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Yep, I was right back on page 3. 5 pages of this topic with people saying the same things over and over and over again along with some totally unrelated conversation on the side.

Yes, experts exist. An expert is simply someone who has achieved excellence and has a thorough knowledge of a subject. This common line that no one is an expert because nobody knows it all is faulty logic. I know who the experts are at my field. I have about half a dozen guys that I'll ask questions of, and generally I know who knows what because I know their experience. I don't expect them to know absolutely everything, but they do a lot and (even more impressively) they know what they don't know. Guys like that bring a lot of value to the groups they are a part of and deserve our respect.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:46 PM
GallopingGhostler

Expertise varies. Everyone is per say an expert at something they have mastered, although it may not be in the realm of model aeroplanes or a segment thereof.

A good number of experienced modelers I've met, will admit they don't know everything, but will help with that they know. There is a certain humbleness about someone who knows his subject really well, and does not need to justify himself. Those are the type of people I really enjoy associating with, because they have a wealth of knowledge to glean from.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:03 AM
Propworn

Originally Posted by jester_s1
Yep, I was right back on page 3. 5 pages of this topic with people saying the same things over and over and over again along with some totally unrelated conversation on the side.

Yes, experts exist. An expert is simply someone who has achieved excellence and has a thorough knowledge of a subject. This common line that no one is an expert because nobody knows it all is faulty logic. I know who the experts are at my field. I have about half a dozen guys that I'll ask questions of, and generally I know who knows what because I know their experience. I don't expect them to know absolutely everything, but they do a lot and (even more impressively) they know what they don't know. Guys like that bring a lot of value to the groups they are a part of and deserve our respect.
Ah yes I couldn’t agree more. People who hold true expertise in a certain field don’t have to go about attempting to quantify this by trotting out their certificates, accomplishments, job related experiences etc. They quietly go about their business helping out those who ask without having a need to bask in the limelight. One does not necessarily need a piece of paper to say they have expertise either. Simply years of experience and success in a certain endeavor certainly gives one a level of expertise. Again you will find most if not all have no need to parade their accomplishments for recognition.

Dennis
Old 10-30-2014, 06:18 AM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by Propworn
. People who hold true expertise in a certain field don't have to go about attempting to quantify this by trotting out their certificates, accomplishments, job related experiences etc. Dennis
I would say out in the real world this would hold true. However this is the internet so you can't see the " experts " or in this case guys with the experience and success in action the way you could at the local club. This is what gets my goat. There are times when I will hand out some perfectly good advise then someone comes along and tells me I am wrong. Then I feel that I have to quantify my advise by stating accomplishments. That's when the insecure keyboard pilots jump on the attack. That's why I will usually give my answer and if someone comes along and expresses a different opinion then we have a conversation and walk away both the better for it. If that same person just wants to prove me wrong then I leave the thread.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:24 AM
Propworn

Many years ago one of the best engine tuners I have ever met was already in his 60’s. He never refused to help if asked but he never interfered with the learning curve either. One of three things would happen. First was the person who just wanted the engine to run right and after a few minutes of trying half heartedly he might approach the fellow for help. He was only looking for someone to set it up for him and he was not really interested in learning himself. It took usually but a minute or two of the old guys time and the fellow went away happy. The second is the fellow who tried and tried before asking for help and made sure to ask to be shown how to do it. The old fellow saw this as an investment because the knowledge passed on would invariably be passed on again down the road by the new recipient of his knowledge. The third scenario is the fellow who felt the old guy had nothing of value to offer and as far as I know this particular person still spends more time trying to get his engine to run than flying. This gentleman not only had expertise in how to tune an engine but how to deal with different personalities and teach those with an inclination to learn and an interest in the subject. This by far at least to me is indicative of what I would consider an expert not the amount of certificates or letters after ones name.

Dennis
Old 10-30-2014, 06:42 AM
speedracerntrixie

Dennis, I would agree with that last post 100%. However that is obviously in a club setting. I think the original question has really gone un answered. On RCU if someone does not tell you how long he has been flying, what his successes have been or his accomplishments have been then how does one know if they are getting sound advise or just someone who is parroting something he read or heard? Personally when I have an issue I would like to find the guy with first hand experience.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:58 AM
Propworn

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Then I feel that I have to quantify my advise by stating accomplishments. That's when the insecure keyboard pilots jump on the attack.

In reality there is no way other than your say so to verify your accomplishments that is why most likely they are so easy for those who choose to pick them apart. Accomplishments posted on the internet mean so little where good advise will certainly stand the test of time regardless of its detractors. This being said there are so many ways to skin the cat so to speak the other fellows ideas and experiences even in contradiction with yours may be just as valid. What it boils down to there may have been suggested 10 different ways to accomplish what you wish to do. All may work with varying degrees of success or ease of accomplishment. From these I am certain one will work for you. It’s not the end of the world to be called wrong or if someone decides not to follow your advice. I think credibility goes out the door when the argument degenerates into who’s right or who’s wrong.

Take for instance glo plugs. Personally I use only three types. If asked I will tell you and explain why. If I do this there will be plenty of others who will disagree with me and they will list their favorites. It doesn’t make me wrong. My advice is no less valid. It is simply what I have found works for me and I am passing it on for anyone who might wish to try them. Is it worth the time or effort to get into a discussion on my choices or what I may think qualifications that justify why I would offer that advice? No it would add no value to the discussion it’s simply a statement of what I prefer and what works for me. Am I open to the merit of others ideas or experiences. Of course in the case of glo plugs I have gone out of my way to acquire plugs I have not tried that were recommended by others and made my own determination to use them or not. If they didn’t work for me I did not have any desire to return to the thread and discuss it. I just choose not to use them. Others may have great success and be quite please using them who am I to say they are in error.

Dennis

Last edited by Propworn; 10-30-2014 at 07:12 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:38 AM
vertical grimmace

To get good answers, really depends on the subject. Engine tuning, and reliable running is a tricky thing to solve on RCU. I always equated tuning an engine to tuning a guitar. There is a "feel" for it that has to be developed. This come from experience. And generally engine problems are more about setup than anything else. The last new guy at the field I helped that was having engine problems had a loose glow plug, and a hole in his fuel line from using needle nose to take the line on and off. Plus he was leaking around the needle, and then of course it was not tuned properly. You have to see these things to truly solve them. These issues may not get mentioned in here.

Now if I am wondering what a good engine choice is for a particular plane, or maybe I have questions on servo choice, those types of questions get solved quite cleanly in here.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:58 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't even think it's poor form to let people know about your accomplishments so they'll listen to you. There's a couple of guys at my club who I wouldn't have thought much of just from interacting with him. The first is a little awkward and goes off on unrelated tangents for a solid hour if you let him. Most avoid him. But I was having an issue with my gasser carb and he casually mentioned a background in racing and lots of experience with those carbs and offered his help. Turns out he used to be not just a racer, but a racing instructor! He's competed with everything from small 2 stroke go carts to sports cars. He even taught a few things to a current Sprint Cup NASCAR driver back when he was a youngster. Needless to say, the guy was able to fix me carburetor and teach me some things about setup and maintenance of these little 2 stroke gasser carbs. Another is also a bit awkward and can't let any conversation go without telling a story about himself. On the surface, you'd think he's just a goofy old man with his Ugly Stick who likes to get away from his wife on the weekends. Yet he competed at the AMA Nats for a long time, placing in the top 10 multiple times. So if I have a flight trimming question or need to work the kinks out of a maneuver, he's the guy I'm going to.
Yes, some perceive listing of your accomplishments as bragging and being full of yourself. Those who feel that way often don't have any accomplishments of their own. But I see nothing wrong with it. If you want people to listen to you, it helps for you to establish your knowledge with them first so they'll actually give you a chance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.