Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

"experts"

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

"experts"

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 12:05 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I know this is a generalization, but I have found that those that compete regularly, are a good source for answers to problems. To be competitive, you just cannot have problems. You have to have everything boil down to your flying. Any mechanical issues will kill you in competition.
When I flew CL combat, we would spend more time practicing our engine starts/pit procedures than actually flying. As pitting is a huge part of the event. Needless to say, this gets you good at tuning engines.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:49 AM
mackeyjones

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had someone recently say you cant connect ailerons with a Y Lead, you had to use a seperate channel....thankfully I dont fly at their field often..
Old 10-31-2014, 05:47 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
I know this is a generalization, but I have found that those that compete regularly, are a good source for answers to problems. To be competitive, you just cannot have problems. You have to have everything boil down to your flying. Any mechanical issues will kill you in competition.
When I flew CL combat, we would spend more time practicing our engine starts/pit procedures than actually flying. As pitting is a huge part of the event. Needless to say, this gets you good at tuning engines.
Sometimes the club or group will not have competitors in their midst. You might instead look for the flyers that have very few if any problems and when they do sort them out rather easily, they might fly a good variety of models consistently well, and it will be obvious their approachable as you will notice others always seem to be asking for their help or advice.

Dennis
Old 10-31-2014, 09:11 AM
[email protected]

why worry about who is a expert get on with your life
Old 10-31-2014, 10:35 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by mackeyjones
I had someone recently say you cant connect ailerons with a Y Lead, you had to use a seperate channel....thankfully I dont fly at their field often..

You can of course use a Y but if your TX has dual aileron servo mixing why would you want to? Using the mix gives you much more adjust ability.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:39 AM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by [email protected]
why worry about who is a expert get on with your life
Because some people do want to progress their skill as far as they can and like to seek out people who can help them achieve their goal. If your happy with going out and flying just to be flying then more power to you but some of us like to fly with a goal in mind and like to be able to find guys we can learn from or get some personal satisfaction that we helped a fellow modeller.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:07 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
You can of course use a Y but if your TX has dual aileron servo mixing why would you want to? Using the mix gives you much more adjust ability.
But it is not mandatory. Many times a model does not need fine trim control and mixing that can be obtained with this set up, not to mention the RX might not have enough servo ports to provide a place to plug in that extra servo. I have a 50cc Ultimate biplane with 4 aileron servos. I have them all on y harnesses and it works just fine. Unless I had a power expander, it would not be possible, nor practical to run each one independently into the RX.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:31 PM
mackeyjones

Yes that is right, the problem is that it isnt possible or suitable to do that on all models especially when your discussing a foamie...and not whether you want to do it but if you can..
Old 10-31-2014, 02:57 PM
Propworn

Because some people do want to progress their skill as far as they can and like to seek out people who can help them achieve their goal. If your happy with going out and flying just to be flying then more power to you but some of us like to fly with a goal in mind and like to be able to find guys we can learn from or get some personal satisfaction that we helped a fellow modeller.
OK!!!!! So your analogy is then that anyone who knows more than you must be an expert and conversely you’re an expert to those who know less than you do. Wonderful that makes all of us experts to someone then doesn't it.

Or is there a test or certificate that states you’re an expert. Is there a person or committee in charge of declaring you an expert? Or perhaps it’s a self declaration where one goes on a forum and declares themselves an expert.

Everything you have stated happens every day in all walks of life without any title of “Expert” entering the picture. It’s the way we learn for all of our lives.

Relax Speedy I pronounce you Expert 4th class, member in good standing of “The League of Experts of The World”.

Congratulations you now get to hang with all the experts and get to compare who has the biggest Swartz. May the Swartz be with you!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI0i_tL-8aU
Old 10-31-2014, 04:38 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Guys, this is becoming a bit testy and a whole lot off track. This thread was supposed to be about what we can do to stop people who really do know what they are talking about (experts) from flatly contradicting each other and how that has to affect noobies. There has to be better ways of disagreeing with an opinion that flatly saying "no, that is wrong and that guy is an idiot for saying so. Here is how I do it, therefore, this is the right way, and the only way, to do it".
Old 10-31-2014, 04:57 PM
vertical grimmace

I think the "Y" harness question is a perfect example. I think some pilots have a strong opinion on this type of set up. The bottom line is there are many ways to approach it. Heck, if you wanna get old school, use torque rods or golden rod cables to your ailerons, allowing the use of 1 servo! If it works for you. Or get a power expander and plug all 4 of your ailerons into different channels to give the ultimate in trim capabilities.

A good example of not necessarily being able to give an exact answer, without all of the information.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:24 PM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by Propworn
OK!!!!! So your analogy is then that anyone who knows more than you must be an expert and conversely you’re an expert to those who know less than you do. Wonderful that makes all of us experts to someone then doesn't it.

Or is there a test or certificate that states you’re an expert. Is there a person or committee in charge of declaring you an expert? Or perhaps it’s a self declaration where one goes on a forum and declares themselves an expert.

Everything you have stated happens every day in all walks of life without any title of “Expert” entering the picture. It’s the way we learn for all of our lives.

Relax Speedy I pronounce you Expert 4th class, member in good standing of “The League of Experts of The World”.

Congratulations you now get to hang with all the experts and get to compare who has the biggest Swartz. May the Swartz be with you!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI0i_tL-8aU
Actually my point is that we can all learn from one another regardless of skill level. Is that not what these forums are supposed to be about? Silly question on my part as it's obvious you like to use the forums to attack people as this is not the first time you have come at me with your poor attitude. I should thank you for proving my point about how sometimes when us guys who have been in the hobby for quite some time pull from our experience to help a fellow modeler just to have someone who for some reason wants to show his insecurity by mounting a personal attack. Do us all a favor there bud, try to feel better about yourself without putting others down. I know what my skill level and accomplishments are in this hobby, Im perfectly fine without any approval from anyone especially the likes of you!
Old 10-31-2014, 05:40 PM
Propworn

Originally Posted by JollyPopper
Guys, this is becoming a bit testy and a whole lot off track. This thread was supposed to be about what we can do to stop people who really do know what they are talking about (experts) from flatly contradicting each other and how that has to affect noobies. There has to be better ways of disagreeing with an opinion that flatly saying "no, that is wrong and that guy is an idiot for saying so. Here is how I do it, therefore, this is the right way, and the only way, to do it".
Unfortunately with the advent of the internet/Google everyone who has access can do a fairly good job of passing themselves off as an expert by simply copying/retyping what they have read on the internet. When you actually make a point of meeting them many do not have near the experience they alluded to in their posts. It’s the nature of the internet forums. Its also human nature to defend your position when told you’ve been doing it all wrong.

When I research a product on the internet I contact each different manufacturer and question them until I am satisfied they have answered all I have asked. I don’t make any attempt to ask him to compare against the other manufacturers as I am not interested in his opinion of the competition. After questioning them all I will sit down and make my decision which one I will be going with.

Asking a question on a forum might work the same way. Simply state your method/choice and why. If there are other opinions they should state theirs without attacking the validity of other posters. Anyone with questions should direct them to the method of interest. Like doing research on the internet when you have your answers it will allow you to make an educated decision.

Dennis
Old 10-31-2014, 05:44 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

This thread was supposed to be about what we can do to stop people who really do know what they are talking about (experts) from flatly contradicting each other.
That statement seems contradictory of itself. Several experts with similar experiences will usually have minor differences in approach, but they will agree on the more common aspects of a problem a newbie is experiencing. This type open ended question that was posed at the beginning is so broad and vague that the dicussion could go anywhere. Perhaps narrowing it down to a specific issue will guide people in the discussion, for example, engines, sport flight, pattern flight, glow plugs, landing approaches, flight line operations, etc. Otherwise, it is like nailing jello to the wall or trying to hit the broad side of a barn.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:07 AM
rcmiket

Guys, this is becoming a bit testy and a whole lot off track. This thread was supposed to be about what we can do to stop people who really do know what they are talking about (experts) from flatly contradicting each other and how that has to affect noobies.
There's no stopping it.

Mike
Old 11-01-2014, 06:06 AM
vertical grimmace

I think hitting the broad side of a barn would be easier than nailing Jello to a wall! : )
Old 11-01-2014, 07:19 PM
davo580

meaning of a expert is a drip under pressure ... there is no such thing as a expert because we are always learning
Old 11-01-2014, 08:12 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I propose we make a drinking game out of this thread. Every time you see the "drip under pressure" comment, you take a shot.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:19 PM
HighPlains

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Left side of the Bell curve?
Old 11-01-2014, 11:16 PM
bjr_93tz

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Even over in the pattern forum where a bloke asked about his header coming loose there were some posters that didn't even realise until well into the 2nd page (even after it had been mentioned on the first) that there are at least two different header types for that engine.

What amazed me were the posters that were still providing him "help" for the header he doesn't use because they didn't read (or couldn't understand) the earlier posts?

It is difficult sometimes being multiple countries separated by a common language relying on the written word to get a point of view across, but sometimes guys get so excited about being "right" that they don't even realise the other poster is talking about something completely different. One clear example is the confusion that happens when somebody tries to explain how they use scales to mix their fuel to obtain the desired volumetric ratios instead of a graduated container. Some guys just can't seem get past "scales" and "weight" before spouting off about the wrongness of it all. They know methanol is lighter than nitro (which is why it can't be done???) but it's like watching a chimp with a rock in one hand and a nut in the other that just can't quite figure out the next logical step which makes it possible...

Last edited by bjr_93tz; 11-01-2014 at 11:31 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:17 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Stupid people like to talk. It's as simple as that.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:31 AM
speedracerntrixie

I have to say that with all the negativity so far in this thread that it's leaving me with the impression that not many people appreciate a helping hand. I can't help but see the irony in all this. I for one feel more at ease when taking my car into the shop seeing the technicians certificates and training records proudly posted on the wall and do not once think of him as a blowhard or self promoting. I guess when it comes to model airplanes the perception changes for some reason I am unaware of.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:33 AM
[email protected]

i took my truck in for a tune up all kinds posters on the wall>> but the guy who worked on my truck could not get # 8 plug out i ran it one block and had to take it back run very poor he just said sorry 450.00 worth it cost me>> so what good did all his papers say papers dont mean a damn thing>
Old 11-03-2014, 07:43 AM
speedracerntrixie

Agreed, there are exceptions to everything. Perhaps that was a poor example on my part however the concept still holds true. When we need assistance whether it be our car, home repair, taxes, lawyers, etc we tend to search out these professionals with the most knowledge and ability to use that knowledge. We usually have no issue with these such people showing us their resume. It for some reason seems different on RCU.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:33 AM
HighPlains

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you can encounter all of the classical 7 sins in this hobby (and every where else as well).

Lust
Gluttony
Greed
Sloth
Wrath
Envy
Pride

We are all somewhat human. While we may believe we were created equal, we certainly don't finish there. Half the population is not as smart as the other half, and many have not the time, nor the opportunities to develop the skills or knowledge of the expert. The hobby is quite diverse today, so few experts cover the entire depth and breadth of today's RC. Most experts are not self selecting this title, but they are the guys that test fly a lot of new models for others, are there to trouble shoot a balky engine, and if you are really lucky instruct on how to fly. While the average instructor covers the bulk of primary instruction, an expert may still be training a new flier many years after that first solo on the finer points with the hope that this will ease his own burden at the local field.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.