Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Which Plane for a newbie?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Which Plane for a newbie?

Old 11-13-2014, 08:23 PM
FlyDon9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In this part of Canada there are not many designated rc flying sites.

While I can drive for close to an hour to fly at a designated site the local flying club does not have any trainers available to new members and the bulk of the flyers that use this site fly quite large nitro planes, most planes have wingspans over 60".

In hind sight I should have bought a Phoenix flight simulator and started with the Horizon Champ and taught myself. I can fly at a half dozen public playfields and parks in the area and save close to two hours travel and be able to fly as long as I want and not have to wait for the other flyers and take turns.

The newest trainers from Horizon Hobbies the planes with the Safe Technology are great, you can really teach your self to fly,

I have the Sports Cub S and it really is all you need to teach your self. If you are lucky enough to find a fellow beginner flyer you will have lots of fun and with practice become a proficient rc flyer.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:40 PM
AllModesR/C

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lucas45
Another good plane to learn on is the parkzone T-28... I used a flight sim and then flew the parkzone without any issues, however a instructor and club is the way to go.
I joined a club but the instructors never to want to fly so I bought a Real Flight 7.5 and have been practicing. It has given me enough confidence to attempt to fly tomorrow by myself.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:58 AM
Lucas45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AllModesR/C
I joined a club but the instructors never to want to fly so I bought a Real Flight 7.5 and have been practicing. It has given me enough confidence to attempt to fly tomorrow by myself.
I did the same thing with my parkzone T-28 with no issues.. just make sure your plane is balanced and fly at first on low rates and give yourself some height. Good luck !!!!
Old 11-15-2014, 03:35 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Instruction in RC has traditionally been free, usually with the instructor and the student becoming good friends. When someone decides to charge for instruction, he has put it on a business basis and, as such, I would have an agreement, in writing, that for that $40.00/hr., the instructor would be responsible for any damage sustained to the plane. This would be regardless of whether on a buddy cord or just standing alongside verbally coaching. It's a business, remember?.. And that sounds like a good business practice to me.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:49 PM
AllModesR/C

Originally Posted by JollyPopper
Instruction in RC has traditionally been free, usually with the instructor and the student becoming good friends. When someone decides to charge for instruction, he has put it on a business basis and, as such, I would have an agreement, in writing, that for that $40.00/hr., the instructor would be responsible for any damage sustained to the plane. This would be regardless of whether on a buddy cord or just standing alongside verbally coaching. It's a business, remember?.. And that sounds like a good business practice to me.
LOL I somehow doubt they would agree to that.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:28 AM
Sapper0Six

Originally Posted by JollyPopper
I wish! In the meantime, I just keep practicing on Real Flight.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:09 AM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sapper0Six
When I teach, I guarantee that if anything should happen to my student's plane, I will fix or replace it. (Haven't had to so far). Also, if anything should happen to my trainer, since I'm the instructor, I assure my student that any damage is totally my responsibiltiy.

As for pay, as they say, you only get what you pay for. BTW, I'm retired and available at any student's convenience to give anyone instruction, at no cost and using one of my LT-40 trainers. But I do accept donations, if they so desire. I've been getting customers for local hobby shops for many years now. The student doesn't have to join a club or belong to AMA, they don't need a trainer, just come to my flying field and have fun. They will fly for at least 30 minutes and most of the time, for an hour or more.

Last edited by fliers1; 11-18-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:46 AM
Sapper0Six

Wow Fliers! That is awesome! I wish I was closer!

I can pretty much fly anytime but can't find anyone willing to work with me.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:14 PM
AllModesR/C

What plane are you flying with in Real Flight?
Old 11-20-2014, 10:14 PM
Sapper0Six

I am flying the "NexStar EP"
Old 11-22-2014, 07:58 PM
AllModesR/C

I am flying the "NexStar EP"
Me too but I am flying the nitro version. It has more power. You should try it. I like to crank up the wind to 15 or 16 mph and practice cross wind landings. Of course I'd never fly in such condition in the real world but it's still nice to practice.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:37 PM
Sapper0Six

Maybe I will try that. Always up for a challenge.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:30 AM
Greybeard1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe a little late, but assuming you'll be at a field where glow fuel is allowable, Balsa USA Stick 40 plus is easy to build, easy to fly. Takes a lot of abuse to hurt it, but nobody is going to say it's pretty. It will fly quite well with a .29 Fox, so don't go for the biggest mill you can put in it. You could use a .60 and the only thing you'd gain is a little better climb. Designed for a .40, and that's all it needs. I've seen them cartwheeled on take off, straighten the wing and go for another try. It's rugged.

Rich.