Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 12:14 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by joebahl
I live at the bottom of a large paved hill here and its fun to see who gets stuck or spin out at the bottom of it and hit other stuck cars . Alot of people like to watch birds and wild life , but i sit out on the front porch and drink my coffee and watch the demo derby when we get a couple of inches of snow.:-) So far mustangs are the best to watch trying to make the hill but cameros are in a close second. lol joe
Don't know about the mustangs, but the Camaro's are rear wheel drive cars with all the problems associated when two wheel rear drive was in vogue 35 years ago.

Out in Gallup NM in the rurals, I've seen 4x4's get stuck in the slush. Basically, they get stuck just as easy as 2 wheel drive. Simply, if you think you need 4 wheels, you should stay inside and let the ground dry out a little. (Besides, I don't know how many people have ruined their 4 wheel drivetrains over time by not exercising the axles in 4 wheel mode, hence why I don't own one.)
Old 01-25-2015, 12:27 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
Don't know about the mustangs, but the Camaro's are rear wheel drive cars with all the problems associated when two wheel rear drive was in vogue 35 years ago.

Out in Gallup NM in the rurals, I've seen 4x4's get stuck in the slush. Basically, they get stuck just as easy as 2 wheel drive. Simply, if you think you need 4 wheels, you should stay inside and let the ground dry out a little. (Besides, I don't know how many people have ruined their 4 wheel drivetrains over time by not exercising the axles in 4 wheel mode, hence why I don't own one.)
Both my gf and her daughter own 4 wheel drive SUVs to get where they need to go here in winter . It took a little time to get them both use to driving with it on and explain it to them that its not still good on any ice and be careful of it. My full size rear wheel drive chevy van works good in the snow with alot of weight i put in the rear by the tires. Its the very light cars front wheel drive or rear wheel drive that get stuck or slide all over the place and people who are from warmer climits :-) that are not use to driving it it. Very fun to watch as long as your not standing anywhere near them. lmao joe
Old 01-25-2015, 04:45 PM
GallopingGhostler

Understand what you are saying, Joe. Here in New Mexico, we have a lot of caliche clay in the soil. When wet, it gives little traction. Being further down south but in the higher elevations with little rain, the air is so dry that the trees are bribing the dogs. Plus we have bipolar weather, can be confusing as a goat on AstroTurf. Usually (but not always,) it is cold for a couple days, then warm for a couple days. You might say we don't quite have the constant hog-killing weather you folks have up north. Snow stays on the ground a day or two. (Except two weeks ago, we had snow remain for a week and half. That is unusual. )
Old 01-26-2015, 05:08 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2Penneys worth on driving in the winter, as I am a transplant to fly overland from San Diego, but been hear for 35+ years , and I admit I have made my mistakes, but none serious. with that said you have to read the conditions and drive them, every winter I have cars pass me only to find them in the ditch or snow bank down the road. even the black ice can be driven on if you have good tires and you work it slow.
Just me
Cheers Guys Bob T
Old 01-26-2015, 06:01 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by rt3232
My 2Penneys worth on driving in the winter, as I am a transplant to fly overland from San Diego, but been hear for 35+ years , and I admit I have made my mistakes, but none serious. with that said you have to read the conditions and drive them, every winter I have cars pass me only to find them in the ditch or snow bank down the road. even the black ice can be driven on if you have good tires and you work it slow.
Just me
Cheers Guys Bob T
Worked mostly 2nd shift and 3rd for 16 of the last 17 years before I Retired on Nov1 2000, I had a 28 mile one way trip every day. In the middle of July at 11:30 Driving one stretch of HWY 16 I'd think 6 months this is going to be treacherous. I've seen snow ounce since 2002 in April along I-88 in Illinois. Great Big White Flakes Visibility went to almost ZERO Now I stay here in AJ AZ til the middle of April and if it looks crappy thru Kansas I go 500 miles out of my why through Texas then North. Man I hate Snow.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:13 AM
Aquila1954
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi: I live in Nebraska, When I see people in cars sitting at stop light/stop sign just spinning there tires making things even more slippery. I just shake my head. Or when I do stop, I go over to the curb area, that is where all the sand end up and it makes it a little bit easier to stop. One time in the late 70's a friend and I decided to go out one morning after freezing rain and his hill that he lived on turned to ice. People were sliding down it. My car at the time was a 1970 Dodge Monaco and it had a full pozy diff. in it. So, I backed my right tires over the curb and drove up the grass.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:43 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

The guy in the shades, standing sixth from the left, Kevin Williams used to drive rally cars. One day, while working as an electrician, he was stuck behind a queue of cars in the snow, which were slithering about trying to get up a local hill called The Burway. Now the Burway is steep with a few bends in it and as it runs along the side of a hill, if you get it wrong, life could be exciting and expensive. Kev went up to the first car, explained that he was a rally driver and drove the car to the top of the hill before walking back down again. He repeated this process until he got to his own van.

I wasn't there at the time so can't confirm it but that at least is the story. He's a good r/c pilot who still flies FM, that's his 90 powered Acrowot in front of all the other models; red wings blue tail.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 01-26-2015 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:23 AM
FlyerInOKC

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

I use to work at a place sitting on a corner in an upscale neighborhood. We loved winter because we would stand at the windows and watch the fun. The street had a slight dip about 6-8 feet from the corner and on ice mornings you would always have a fair amount of cars that would look OK coming up to the light until they hit the dip and then next thing you know they would slide out into the intersection and BAM! they got hit by oncoming traffic from the cross street!
Old 01-26-2015, 12:44 PM
joebahl

WE had 15 accidents on the corner accros the street from me last winter ,no one was hurt but allot of denting up newer cars . They drive to slow to get up the hill and to fast coming down it . Then there are always a couple goofs who stop at the bottom to think about trying to make it up and those are the targets for all the rest. lol joe
Old 01-26-2015, 12:46 PM
FlyerInOKC

You need to video tape them for one of those funny videos show and make a fortune!
Old 01-26-2015, 01:27 PM
joebahl

We are getting a couple inches of snow now so i will try and catch some winter fun on camera, lol joe
Old 01-26-2015, 03:35 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

When My sister moved to North Carolina 10 - 15 years ago. Well they got 6" of snow and everything shut down Schools church stores ect. Well 6" of snow aren't go stop a Wisconsin Girl ... A state Trooper stopped her and asked why in the world she was driving in this giant snow storm. Well She found out thenext 2 years why she shouldn't attempt to drive in that stuff. She got T-Boned Twice in 2 years and totaled he van both times. Live and learn .... Went out to the field today about 9:00 but at 50 degrees it was way too cold for the Natives.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:43 PM
busted2props
My Feedback: (9)

Hmmmm. Interesting how it goes from early areomodeling to driving on ice and snow. My first R/C model was a Hobby Shack 1/2A SST with a Cox 2ch radio. (Seemed like a good idea at the time.) Didn't last long. Well, next was the Pilot Tri-Star powered with a Fuji .15 and controlled with the Futaba 6ch. That worked, lasted awhile. Next came the Midwest Sweet Stik with a K&B .40. Love a Sweet Stik. Sorry to see Midwest go by the way side. Great Planes is okay...Now flying 1/4 scale and smaller (just because). Favorite plane has to be a sportster type followed by a Cap. Anyway, computer radios now allow us to do amazing things (?), things that weren't done in the past? Okay I give, mixing is nice and needed. But, JR Century 7 and others allowed mixing.?Kraft, Futaba, Airtronics...Hmmmm... I started R/C in 1976 and am now 62yrs young. Haven't flown in about 6yrs but am dusting things off. Laters
Old 01-27-2015, 02:39 AM
Aquila1954

I also started in 1976, But I deal with Sailplanes. My first was the Airtronics "Aquila" standard class. Then I built a couple of Gentle Ladies and a Drifter II. I also built a 4 channel under-wing trainer, nice build. But since I wasn't use to Aileron's, it didn't last long. Hee Hee. Maybe, I should call myself "Rip Van Wrinkle" I took a 27 yr break from flying and getting back into it. Going to start on the Sig Riser and the Riser 100 this weekend I hope. I still have to some things together first. I am 60 now.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:33 AM
GallopingGhostler

Aquila 1954, that's amazing and I'm same age as you. Speaking of Airtronics and first experiences with ailerons, around 1978 I built a two channel Airtronics Q-Tee 36" span parasol with Cox .049 Black Widow, Ace Pulse Commander rudder only, locked push rod to elevator so it didn't move. Put an Ace R/C exhaust throttle sleeve controlled by a KRD quick blip sequential throttle, flew it successfully on rudder only for a season, then went to 2 channel digital, flew it again another season. Followed with a two channel low wing aileron 36" span quickie racer with Ace foam wing and Cox .049 Black Widow in 1979. Only got one fly out of it, where I promptly rekitted it so bad I couldn't repair it.

Still got an H.O.B. 2x2 two meter glider a modeler friend gave me in 1985. It'll be my second glider, a future build. Think I'll replace the nose with a glow engine so I don't have to high start it. We get hat sucking thermals here in Clovis during summer. That builds for excitement with all RC aircraft. Might get my GP Big Stik 60 to thermal.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:18 AM
Aquila1954

I also planning to scratch build another Aquila this fall. I have the plans for it and someone posted the instruction manual for it on RCGroups.com.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:54 AM
CURTISSP40
My Feedback: (27)

Originally Posted by joebahl
I fly off of water alot so have to be near a club that does also but i always have a large van with a bunch of rc planes in it and i dont mind driving a hour or so . Here most of the winter i wear a T shirt with a hoody over it unless its 20 below 0 then i wear a hat:-0 lmao Rich i lived in west allis WI as a kid working summers painting houses with my uncle . It was great in the summer but i have never stayed a winter there . The whole idea of me working as long as i did was to get to some place thats warm year round and break all of my snow shovels in half. Its always cooler by a lake out west :-) joe
Hey I thought i was the only nut out there with a van full of airplanes and other stuff like tools,parts etc.I can get up to 17 planes in it some cramped.This van is totally committed to my airplanes.It does avoid hanger rash. My yard and driveway are such that it be very difficult to have a trailer.The pictures shown were taken right after I refurbished the van,it has many more planes in it now.I have also a second shelf up near the roof. It is a 1985 Ford Conversion Van That I can get in my basement garage.It is under a carport now attached to the doorway into the garage.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2498.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	381.0 KB
ID:	2068195   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2534.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	633.0 KB
ID:	2068196   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2500.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	332.3 KB
ID:	2068218   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2535.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	738.5 KB
ID:	2068219  
Old 01-27-2015, 11:46 AM
Aquila1954

Nice Conversion Van, you don't see those around much anymore.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:10 PM
FlyerInOKC

CurtissP40 what bipe is that and what Cessna is that? I like your plane hauler. My hanger is a rack made of PVC pipe in the only area not above the wife's car or blocked by a garage door opener and the attic entrance. The rack is holding foamie Beaver DC-2, LT-40, SIG 1/5th CUb, partially built TF 182 and an Ace My building bench is a 2 X 4 piece of drywall on a 42" square card table but I do have a fuselage jig made from a prefinished white shelf.

Mike
Old 01-27-2015, 01:28 PM
joebahl

Originally Posted by CURTISSP40
Hey I thought i was the only nut out there with a van full of airplanes and other stuff like tools,parts etc.I can get up to 17 planes in it some cramped.This van is totally committed to my airplanes.It does avoid hanger rash. My yard and driveway are such that it be very difficult to have a trailer.The pictures shown were taken right after I refurbished the van,it has many more planes in it now.I have also a second shelf up near the roof. It is a 1985 Ford Conversion Van That I can get in my basement garage.It is under a carport now attached to the doorway into the garage.
I have a 2005 chevy 2500 express van with 1/2 pipe going across the middle and 1/2 pipe foam insulation taped to the pipes for my planes to set on if iam going out flying a bunch of planes. I carry my lawn chair ,cooler and a giant umbrella for hot sunny days . I dont have room for a trailer either . joe
Old 01-27-2015, 02:29 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

99 olds van for me. If I'm flying a lot I leave all my gear in it but my wife and I use it for shopping too and I remove the planes or they could get bag bashed.
My wife has an 04 Mustang and they only have one rear wheel drive so when it snows she stuffs it into third gear to get up the hill. My van has traction control for the front wheel drive so it's pretty good in the snow.
Being too close to Vegas they don't have a snow plow closer them the mountain ski area. I have seen people just stop in the middle of the 4 lane avenue and park then just walk home. Doesn't require much snow to freak people out.
Last night it was our first rain in a long time. The streets were so slippery my van broke the wheels loose just trying to pull away from a traffic light as slow as I could go. Rain or snow, our streets get slippery as snot on a glass door knob from all the oil lifting.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:59 PM
flyfastcrashhard

Such a nice walk down memory lane! I'm old enough to remember peeling ambroid off my fingers for days after a CL balsa build or more often, rebuild.. my first airplane was a Christmas gift, some kind of solid wood winged behemoth powered by a McCoy Redhead... then there were numerous babe bee 049 kits ... still remember when I built the first kit with built-up wings instead of the typical plank wing... covering the wing with silkspan and butyrate dope ... flew CL off and on for 10-15 yrs, then in hi school kinda forgot about the hobby due to other distractions, one being my '57 chevy. Years later, circa 1982, got interested in R/C and tried to learn/fly on my own ... what a joke... I may have been the first to attempt to plant balsa trees in a new subdivision just south of Rancho Cordova off Sunrise Blv... finally got wise and joined the SAM club (sacramento area modelers) and learned to fly successfully.. another distraction or two and after a 30 year hiatus I'm back into flying again. Now I'm in the Redding CA area .
Old 01-28-2015, 05:12 AM
CURTISSP40

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
CurtissP40 what bipe is that and what Cessna is that? I like your plane hauler. My hanger is a rack made of PVC pipe in the only area not above the wife's car or blocked by a garage door opener and the attic entrance. The rack is holding foamie Beaver DC-2, LT-40, SIG 1/5th CUb, partially built TF 182 and an Ace My building bench is a 2 X 4 piece of drywall on a 42" square card table but I do have a fuselage jig made from a prefinished white shelf.

Mike
Hello Mike
The Bipe is is a very old "Hal Debolt" Acrobat,have had a long time have not flown it lately as I went into elec planes latley mostly converted glow planes.The "Cessna" what I had called a "Citrbria" is something I bought a couple of years ago used,it is an early arf,plastic fusalage,foam plastic covered wings,would really like to know more about it,it too is very old,have not flown it yet.My wife says I have way too many planes that i will never get to fly,maybe she is right????But they are fun to build,not enough time to fly.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:31 AM
CURTISSP40

Originally Posted by Aquila1954
Nice Conversion Van, you don't see those around much anymore.
Yes,I know,fuel mileage is not that good,but with the cheaper gas nowadays its not too bad,I get about 12 mpg now,using ethanol free gas.I found this van on Craigs list for $850,Had 75k original mikes on and it had been sitting outdoors (SC) for 10 years. I did all the refurbishing myself,incl; all new brakes,wheel,cyls,calipers,brake lines,fuel tank,tires,interior,floor,etc.The Seats were in great shape and the remaining interior was decent,had to add a radio.I also repainted it to its original black(It was In primer).it took me about three months to do this outside under my carport.(Feb-April)
It runs real good,did not do too much to the engine except had to replace the radiator,hoses,belts,added a few fuel filters in the lines too.I use it a least once a week to go flying. Field is about 12 miles from my house.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:55 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by CURTISSP40
Hello Mike
My wife says I have way too many planes that i will never get to fly,maybe she is right????But they are fun to build,not enough time to fly.
I get that from my wife too! She has no idea how many kits, short kits, and plans I have to build!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.