Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 04-16-2015, 09:52 AM
donnyman

Received 123 Likes on 96 Posts

FlyerinOKC

when you say vet I have to assume you mean the Vet Administration, I chose the Vet Admin. also but I also have insur. thru my ex employer, so when I saw the huge amount of people using the Vets I felt I was being a bit self serving and returned to my primary physician for care, cost was nuch the same so I felt I eased the load on the Admin. and yes I feel the doctors and service were better.

I don't feel anybody -with exceptions - owe me anything. I find more to be thankful for every day.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:01 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 263 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
FlyerinOKC

when you say vet I have to assume you mean the Vet Administration, I chose the Vet Admin. also but I also have insur. thru my ex employer, so when I saw the huge amount of people using the Vets I felt I was being a bit self serving and returned to my primary physician for care, cost was nuch the same so I felt I eased the load on the Admin. and yes I feel the doctors and service were better.

I don't feel anybody -with exceptions - owe me anything. I find more to be thankful for every day.
No vet as in veterinarian. Back in the 30s when my dad was a kid in a foster home (read that as the farm needed another field hand) he learn to fear and respect his foster father when one of his mule bit him on the shoulder and he threw a haymaker and laid the mule out cold. The veterinarian that set the mule's jaw (broken in three places) also set the old man's arm (broken in two places)!
Old 04-16-2015, 11:16 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by flyerinokc
no vet as in veterinarian. Back in the 30s when my dad was a kid in a foster home (read that as the farm needed another field hand) he learn to fear and respect his foster father when one of his mule bit him on the shoulder and he threw a haymaker and laid the mule out cold. The veterinarian that set the mule's jaw (broken in three places) also set the old man's arm (broken in two places)!
dam!!!!!

Last edited by donnyman; 04-16-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:40 PM
donnyman

Sure is quiet around here! I guess the old timers are takeing their naps.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:01 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.................
Old 04-21-2015, 03:04 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Dave Cowell of DPC Models, AKA Aero-Werkes http://dpcmodels.homestead.com/index.html is making me a laser cut kit of the stand-way-off-scale 1964 Walt Musiciano Scientific 1/2-A Grumman Hellcat. I built one of those in the 5th grade. Decided to celebrate my 11 YO birthday again.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hellcat1b.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	2090877  
Old 04-21-2015, 03:42 PM
Redtail_Customs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Getting things together for a 80 inch Gee Bee R3
Old 04-22-2015, 09:01 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.................
Me thinkest thou need a CPAP!
Old 04-22-2015, 09:06 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
Dave Cowell of DPC Models, AKA Aero-Werkes http://dpcmodels.homestead.com/index.html is making me a laser cut kit of the stand-way-off-scale 1964 Walt Musiciano Scientific 1/2-A Grumman Hellcat. I built one of those in the 5th grade. Decided to celebrate my 11 YO birthday again.
Looks like a fun project and a laser kit version should increase the enjoyment. I am not familiar with this one (the kit)
Old 04-22-2015, 09:12 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Redtail_Customs
Getting things together for a 80 inch Gee Bee R3
Wanna race? when you can, whup a picture on us and post the build here. which reminds me I need to get another digital camera.

Name:	bdog & me.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	2.38 MB
ID:	2091107  

Last edited by donnyman; 04-22-2015 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:11 AM
donnyman

Yesterday after many months I finally got my motorhome functional. the starter would not turn over and I found out I moved the positive voltage lead to it to the negative side of the battery----- Duuuhh!
the wiring harness that got cut and burned is repaired but now I have to cover it and add brackets to keep it from bouncing around.

the weather and honeydoos didn't help either. As soon as I get it all cleaned up I'm going to take a short vacation somewhere. my brain needs a reboot.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:04 PM
GallopingGhostler

Looks like a fun project and a laser kit version should increase the enjoyment. I am not familiar with this one (the kit)
Yes, it will be neat to see it again after all these years. Scientific advertised this kit for a short time then discontinued it. I guess it wasn't popular enough to be profitable. Here's an ad, I don't know what magazine it was in, think it may be from 1965. It is 5 down in the second column on the left.

Yesterday after many months I finally got my motorhome functional. the starter would not turn over and I found out I moved the positive voltage lead to it to the negative side of the battery----- Duuuhh! The wiring harness that got cut and burned is repaired but now I have to cover it and add brackets to keep it from bouncing around.
Good thing you got that repaired, Donny. I've done things like that too, good you got that sorted out.

the weather and honeydoos didn't help either. As soon as I get it all cleaned up I'm going to take a short vacation somewhere. my brain needs a reboot.
Oh, I think the honey doo's did help. It kept her happy, so you could work on other things.

Name:	Scientific Ad.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	282.8 KB
ID:	2091149  
Old 04-23-2015, 08:50 AM
PBS_Rudder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am 82 still going strong. My first plane I built out of sticks in 1938. Just started an AMA Club in Maricopa, AZ 85138 # 5269. Club name: Maricopa AMA RC Club. Web site: http://Maricopa-AMA-Radio-Control-Club.webs.com. You are never to old to do what you love. I have done a lot of the comments, Testors Glue, Tissue paper, U Control, Free Flight, Rubber band escapements, Reed Receivers, Tube RX and TX, Planes that were lawn darts (that is a good one), Hydro and Deep V Boats. If you live in Maricopa, AZ or near by drop me an email [email protected]. Have a great day.
Ron
Old 04-23-2015, 02:46 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
Yes, it will be neat to see it again after all these years. Scientific advertised this kit for a short time then discontinued it. I guess it wasn't popular enough to be profitable. Here's an ad, I don't know what magazine it was in, think it may be from 1965. It is 5 down in the second column on the left.

Good thing you got that repaired, Donny. I've done things like that too, good you got that sorted out.

Oh, I think the honey doo's did help. It kept her happy, so you could work on other things.
Well now, I remember that ad very well, I used to study it like a text book. I had the airplane next under yours the "little mustang" had to be about 1955 or so painted olive drab. the ply firewall was always loose due to the comet glue getting fuel soaked along with the paint that stayed gooey. I got a couple of flights with my trusty Spitzy .045 As I remember it was one of those hollowed log type of fuse and slab sheet wing. the cowl was alum. or tin sheet that I could not figure out how it mounted so I left it off. my first successful ukie.

got another camera, here is a quick pic. of my current project. it is in primer now, I'll add more pic.'s later.

Name:	DSCF0183.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	2.37 MB
ID:	2091386   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0184.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	2.39 MB
ID:	2091393  
Old 04-23-2015, 02:51 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by PBS_Rudder
I am 82 still going strong. My first plane I built out of sticks in 1938. Just started an AMA Club in Maricopa, AZ 85138 # 5269. Club name: Maricopa AMA RC Club. Web site: http://Maricopa-AMA-Radio-Control-Club.webs.com. You are never to old to do what you love. I have done a lot of the comments, Testors Glue, Tissue paper, U Control, Free Flight, Rubber band escapements, Reed Receivers, Tube RX and TX, Planes that were lawn darts (that is a good one), Hydro and Deep V Boats. If you live in Maricopa, AZ or near by drop me an email [email protected]. Have a great day.
Ron
My wife is from phoenix we may just check maricopa out.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:23 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 139 Likes on 118 Posts

Flew these two for the last time in England yesterday then put them into store prior to my moving to France.

I have to be out of the house by 12.00 hrs on 1st May. I'm finding all of this packing a bit stressful!

Name:	Penn Models Super Sixty.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	334.0 KB
ID:	2091457   Click image for larger version

Name:	WOT 4.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	348.6 KB
ID:	2091458  
Old 04-24-2015, 03:49 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
Flew these two for the last time in England yesterday then put them into store prior to my moving to France.

I have to be out of the house by 12.00 hrs on 1st May. I'm finding all of this packing a bit stressful!
It is hoped once in France you will continue to converse with us. Moving is something I dread, it is a time when you find out the true amount of "stuff" you have accumulated. time will see me move at least once more.

wishing the best for you!
Old 04-24-2015, 03:58 AM
donnyman

G Ghostler

I"ve been eyeballing the scientific ad page you posted , It is just as enjoyable to me now as it was way back when. It just doesn't seem that long ago..............
Old 04-24-2015, 09:32 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 263 Likes on 231 Posts

Nice airplane you got there Donny. Sorry I haven't been around. I have a big project for work and I have been working until 10 or later every evening remolding a bathroom. I hope to be finished next week before my son comes home from Germany on his way to his new job in Chicago.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:44 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 139 Likes on 118 Posts

Moving house tomorrow. Staying at my mate's place for a few days then I'm off to La Belle France. Still lots of packing to be done so I'll bid farewell for now and see you all againe once I'm settled on the other side of the Channel.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:58 PM
GallopingGhostler

G Ghostler I"ve been eyeballing the scientific ad page you posted , It is just as enjoyable to me now as it was way back when. It just doesn't seem that long ago..............
What the kit consists of; started building it ....

Several engines to choose from, may go with Cox .049 Babe Bee, then I don't have to mess with plumbing.

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
Moving house tomorrow. Staying at my mate's place for a few days then I'm off to La Belle France. Still lots of packing to be done so I'll bid farewell for now and see you all againe once I'm settled on the other side of the Channel.
Hope all goes well with your move and look forward to your posts again once you're settled.

Name:	Scientific Hellcat Kit2.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	2093147   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scientific Hellcat Kit Parts.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	853.3 KB
ID:	2093148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scientific Hellcat Fuselage.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	252.2 KB
ID:	2093149  
Old 04-30-2015, 06:42 AM
donnyman

G Ghostler

Cool kit! other than the laser cutting It makes me think of my younger days. I notice you are using Elmers glue, I have found it to be very good but to slow to set for my impatient self so I use CA. Maybe if I practiced more patients my models would look better. As a matter of fact the chairs for my dining room table self destructed over the years and a friend told me to use Elmers to glue and clamp them over night. The legs had split down there lengths. The results amazed me, my wife sanded and finished them to new and we have been enjoying them for several years now, we purchased the set in 1967.

please continue to post your progress I always learn something from others even after all these years of building.

I am priming my build and it is tedious. I took extra time to assure a smooth surface but I find myself using spot putty in a multitude of places. I even sanded thru the glass in some small areas very frustrating. Actually this is the part of building I like the least. but I am determined to get this thing off my bench.

You mentioning controline has made me get several models back in shape after hanging around here in poor condition Thanks! Heck I even semi organized my shop and have a lot more room for the effort.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:58 PM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm and old guy. I have been trying the stuff from my youth. Kind of fun still. https://www.youtube.com/user/j3cubheavy
Old 05-03-2015, 06:48 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Joe Fisher
I'm and old guy. I have been trying the stuff from my youth. Kind of fun still. https://www.youtube.com/user/j3cubheavy
Hello joe

Me too! and it get's better, We had a warbird contest here in the Manor/Austin TEX. aT A.R.C.A. field and it was a very active and fun event with fantastic weather 52 pilots and the flightline was loaded with planes.

It appears you are very active with rebuilds, I scanned your you tube posts. Some others here have done the same you are amongst colleages here...WELCOME!
Old 05-03-2015, 06:49 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Joe Fisher
Hello joe

Me too! and it get's better, We had a warbird contest here in the Manor/Austin TEX. aT A.R.C.A. field and it was a very active and fun event with fantastic weather 52 pilots and the flightline was loaded with planes.

It appears you are very active with rebuilds, I scanned your you tube posts. Some others here have done the same you are amongst colleages here...WELCOME!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.