Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 10:35 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well guys just found this thread, so hear is my Story, late 1939 I got my first comet kit with a tube of glue, and rice paper for covering, didn't have any cutting tools so took my dad's double edge shaving blades broke them in half, and then a point on one end, needles to say the first few kits did not fly much as there was no instructions about balancing, but being a good reader I found some books in the school library. After that got some to fly vary good, but then WW II started. End of the war 46 I got in with a small club and we flew free flight and control line when we could get the engines to run (first one was a vivall 25 as I remember, then an O/R 23) these were gas/oil mix coil points all that stuff, then about 48 went to K/B glow 35. any way during the war our neighborhood was in an area ware fighter plane were coning down to enter the landing pattern for the old north island NAS lots of Corsairs a few P-51 and 38 but mostly the Corsairs, and that is why the Corsair is my favorite bird, we could hear them coming and we kids would lay on the grass and watch circle to get in trail for the pattern approach.. well about 1950 I built my first radio a single chnl and rubber pwr escapments much fun. then full time work collage at night, lots of work so no modeling till about 1962, back in to modeling with a 8 chnl reed kraft set more fun then the old RCM mag came out with a build along on a 4 chnl proportional called a digi-quad more fun, then kids came along so no modeling just work, moved from Ca to Minnesota, cold winter and son was being a PITA so sat him down to build a bird for the old digi-quad well in the process got a 4 chnl Futaba tought him to fly and then he found girls, so I have just stayed in the game now flying G/S T/F Corsair with a G-62, same P-47 & 62 a 1/3 week special with a RCGF-62 an arf that was kinda like a pitts, so I call it the bad bipe, and last a 70 inch 300.
Pushing 84 That's my story and I am sticking to it

Cheers Bob T
AMA13377
Corsair Brotherhood # 6
ND

Last edited by rt3232; 08-24-2015 at 10:41 AM.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:00 AM
KC Air

Originally Posted by donnyman
When we first moved here we lived in the garage while I built the house. Once in the house, the car got a place in the garage and momma ain't having it no other way!
My wife let me know that she is getting a new car in 2016. Parking arrangements could change when that happens. I better start planning the Hangar Addition (Tough Shed) soon
Old 08-24-2015, 11:05 AM
FlyerInOKC

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

We have seen a lot of drone companies popping up in Oklahoma because of the Federal Test field at FT Sill Army base. A lot of these so called drone companies know nothing about the RC hobby and even less about drones. They are using whatever parts they can buy online and guessing at the design. There will be a lot of them who will lose their investments and their designs will never get off the ground let alone get presented for DoD consideration.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:03 PM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

I have been having problems staying logged on lately..................what the hey???????????

A late response to rt3232 Hello! I am partial to the corsair also it is a unique machine, the Nosen corsair is in my build que but I fear it will never get built ..Too many other builds also.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:08 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
We have seen a lot of drone companies popping up in Oklahoma because of the Federal Test field at FT Sill Army base. A lot of these so called drone companies know nothing about the RC hobby and even less about drones. They are using whatever parts they can buy online and guessing at the design. There will be a lot of them who will lose their investments and their designs will never get off the ground let alone get presented for DoD consideration.
I hope you are right, It seems this nation has gone drone slap happy. I've heard the airforce wants 400 more drone pilots, with all the r/c pilots they shouldn't have any problems getting them.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:11 PM
FlyerInOKC

Don't feel bad Donnyman I have had 3 internet outages in two days.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:23 AM
charlie111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got an Aeronca Comet 54" Span High wing Kit I Bought & Am Trying to sell Rubber Band Powered with about a 10'Prop.Must be from the 50s But, All there in BOX! See My Project New Twist to Hillers Hornet I too have gone Electric!
Old 08-28-2015, 07:31 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Don't feel bad Donnyman I have had 3 internet outages in two days.
Hi Flyer!

yea the sign in thing bugged me for awhile, I knew this site has these kinda problems every now and then so I didn't get too excited just a bit irritataed, I enjoy shootin the breeze whith my online friends........You have been with me from day one! I had to replace my CD drive yesterday also, couldn't play my games. I am a command and conquer/starcraft playing nut but don't care to play online.

I am taking a break from working on my shop building, it decided to lean so I am installing truss type braces, the siding will not do much to keep it stable.
Well I Gotta get back to work before it gets to hot to work on it. see ya later!
The following users liked this post:
Believer (02-07-2021)
Old 08-28-2015, 07:45 AM
FlyerInOKC

The weird thing for me was this morning I was getting server errors from RCU and RC Groups. Both sites had problems at the same time.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:10 PM
rt3232

Hi Guys

Got a buddy that was an IT guy for a big Co. He does all Of the things I can't do, and he tells me it is not there sight that is the problem most of the time, it is My service's server and most times it is caused by hackers, trying to get into the systems, I have had to call my service about the problems and they have told me to save the pop up an fwd it to them, and sence the last go around I have not had any problems.

So you might want to check with your service provider, might help.

Cheers Bob T
Old 08-29-2015, 05:49 AM
donnyman

I been battling the sign in problem again so I just gave up yesterday, seems ok for now.

My computer has been kinda belching parts and such I had to play with my sound settings this morning and finally got to hear my games.

It seems, every thing has to be repaired before I can use it, guess my stuff is so old it's pooped out like me. I got this big nail gun and the air cylinder doesn't fully return so I have to push it into it's seat after each nail, kinda slows me down but is better than a hammer.

I startred preparing my runway for use I let it get into bad shape but I want to get it smooth enough to land my trainer so I can keep my thumbs nimble, I've gotten away from flying for a long time and the urge is creeping up on me. I will be happy when I can take off and land my KAOS on it.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:11 PM
charlie111

Donny Have you Seen My Test videos of Rotarywing Actually Self Rotating Wing See Hillers Hornet Gone Electric! Vids on You Tube Charles Glazebrook!
Old 08-30-2015, 09:14 AM
donnyman

charlie 111

I looked but could not understand it.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:28 PM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Well back in July I crashed my Yellow Bird. Now with my broken leg I am building a replacement.It is kind of a challenge, I need my hands on the walker to stand and I can't reach much sitting. I managed to trace the wing ribs and cut them out then glue the spars and ribs. Now I am trying to join the to half's. I need to clear off the bench but it is so hard to put stuff away and just as hard to get it back out again. The wings seems big and clumbsy. Tomorrow I will be 70. The grand kids are coming for supper I am hoping they fly the little plastic champs I got them for Christmas. I hope I can sit out in the yard in a lawn chair and fly the glider.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00365.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	2.52 MB
ID:	2117397   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00366.JPG
Views:	302
Size:	2.53 MB
ID:	2117398  
Old 08-30-2015, 03:35 PM
donnyman

Joe

Wishing you a Happy birthday! Take some time and enjoy your family.

It looks like you have a
pretty good start on that yella burd don't over do it now and bump that leg.

I just came down from my shop been putting foil on it. If I do another this way (ALUM COVERING) I think I'll go with flite metal, I used some alum. duct tape and it produced a better surface.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:01 PM
charlie111

I added Larger Axis control Surfaces! It Looks like a V2 with a Fin on Each Side! It's a Self Rotaing Wing See Hillers Hornet No Tail Rotor Needed!Simple Deflective Surface! It Gone Green & Mean! I'm calling it My Corvette of Copters & Larger Wings will help with Autorotation! My Axis Control surfaces are on Sides! If you saw Video The Larger Wings Replacing Blades should Provide Alot More Lift! Test #4 Prop. Broke @ Higher R.P.M.s & No Spares.I Have 2 Pair of Wings I'm Trying Thick & Thin with In & Outrunner motors! Went to Change props on Larger Pair @ Adapter Stud Broke Off In the Spinner A 1st Braking when Removing With NO Locktight? If you watch all 3 Tests #1 Collar moved Affecting pitch control,#2 Held Neg Overiding Servo Changed to Larger Mixing Arms OK #3 Just Lifted & Motor mount Failed! Small Problems I Feel Sure it will Fly the Next time Out! Now Imagine a Smart car as a Cockpit/Power supply!
Old 08-31-2015, 04:58 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Joe Fisher
Well back in July I crashed my Yellow Bird. Now with my broken leg I am building a replacement.It is kind of a challenge, I need my hands on the walker to stand and I can't reach much sitting. I managed to trace the wing ribs and cut them out then glue the spars and ribs. Now I am trying to join the to half's. I need to clear off the bench but it is so hard to put stuff away and just as hard to get it back out again. The wings seems big and clumbsy. Tomorrow I will be 70. The grand kids are coming for supper I am hoping they fly the little plastic champs I got them for Christmas. I hope I can sit out in the yard in a lawn chair and fly the glider.
Happy Birthday Joe! Find yourself an old card table and a 2ft X 4ft piece of drywall that is what I have built on for years. (I have heard a ceiling tile can substitute for the drywall) I have had pretty good luck even when laid up like you.

Mike
Old 08-31-2015, 05:11 AM
donnyman

Charlie 111

OK! I am slowly beginning to see what you are doing. Comparing the hiller hornet to what you have is interesting. the additional rotor area Idea may be worthy of further consideration, I for one am not sure but I will continue to watch your progress.

The lack of tail rotor on the hiller was the result of no torque imposed on the airframe by a engine as it had ram jets on the rotor (high fuel consumption) I am not sure motors could spin your wing (rotors) at a high enough speed to produce the lift you seek. you may have to reduce the chord to reach a happy medium.

Keep at it you maybe just the one to produce a viable solution ..I'll try to keep up with what you are doing.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:27 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Happy Birthday Joe!!!!!!!
Old 08-31-2015, 06:03 AM
FlyerInOKC

Oops forgot to add you cards!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Birthday.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	2117599   Click image for larger version

Name:	happy-birthday.gif
Views:	130
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	2117600  
Old 08-31-2015, 06:51 AM
Joe Fisher

Well thank you all.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:08 PM
charlie111

I have 2 Pair of Wings I'm trying with Diiferant Motors & Props. Large Wings Lift @ Slower Speeds! See Test #3 It Started Lifting Just, Before Mount Failed! Replaced Props with Differant Pair & Prop. Broke when Adding Higher RPMS! Both Pair are Similar Dimensions 13" x 3' 6"s But ! is Thin Only 3/4 High Thick is Twice that @ 11/2"s High @ Chord! Added Larger Axis Surfaces & It looks like a V2 Pair of Fins! I'm Sure they'll have the Desired Affect!
Old 09-02-2015, 01:34 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Joe Fisher
Well thank you all.
I've been meaning to tell you, we have a guy here that has a wood wing Mooney he was rebuilding, last I saw it was assembled and setting on it's gear with a empty interior. At one time he tried to sell it to me for $4000 which I felt to be a good deal, If you would be interested I could ask him about it. I will see him this weekend.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:38 PM
Joe Fisher

Originally Posted by donnyman
I've been meaning to tell you, we have a guy here that has a wood wing Mooney he was rebuilding, last I saw it was assembled and setting on it's gear with a empty interior. At one time he tried to sell it to me for $4000 which I felt to be a good deal, If you would be interested I could ask him about it. I will see him this weekend.
No thank you. I have all the junk I need now.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:45 PM
charlie111

$4.000.00 That's alot of Money ! Maybe Cheaper to Build from Scratch What are Dimensions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.