Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 09:05 PM
rajincajun
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Started modeling in the 50's and have never stopped. My first plane was the Scientific American Boy, my first RC was an Aero 7 with a Babcock radio and escapement, then went on to Galloping Ghost, Reeds, and on to present. Mostly fly helis and giant scale now.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:07 AM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by ARUP; 01-28-2015 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:19 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Hossfly
Thank You much, Donny. Private flying was never my real interest, and airline was not anything to write home about. OTOH it did make for better monthly checks,
and more time off for model aviation and family. I only left the USAF because I had a run-in with a General, and he canceled my F-4 assignment to Vietnam which I dearly wanted to do. I really did. He made me remain in ATC as a T-38 flight and academic Instructor. I needed that assignment as one without a college degree, I had little hope of getting my promotion to Major. So Bye Bye USAF. I did get some reserve time in a C-123. Now that WAS some Fun, but again I did not always do the exact things that one needs to do to satisfy the unit Colonel, so I left that fun flying.
Hi!

I spent five years working on t-38's at Williams A.F.B. Arizona Loved them! Was at Ubon thailand then Bergstrom A.F.B working on f-4's Then left because of non advancement and my life got better.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:22 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
Great thread guys! Too young to contribute (45), but I love reading about the history and experiences.
TOO YOUNG??????? Heck welcome on board! contribute anyway.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:36 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Difference was we grew up with parents who had been through WW2. They knew what rationing was, many came from a farm background and knew what hard work was. They made ends meet by budgeting, saving money, making wise purchases and refrained from purchasing unnecessities. There was no such thing as credit card loan mechanisms, etc. It was not unusual to have only one outlet per room in a house. There was a radio and may be a TV in the house, a phonograph for recorded music, not like today where every room has one. Most cars in the 1960's were without air conditioning. I didn't own an air conditioned car until I was working after graduating from college in 1982.

Drinking Coke was a luxury. We didn't have Coke every day, may be once a week if we were lucky. When we had it, it was a treat, not a daily drinking item. We played as kids. We didn't have parental supervision, but then I never heard of drugs until I entered high school. It wasn't unusual to hear a mom calling aloud for your friend's or your name to come to supper. Although we had a TV, we spent more time outside playing than watching. Usually Saturday morning was spent watching Superman, Zorro, Sky King, Captain Kangaroo, etc. Late afternoons and evenings had Leave It to Beaver, Father Knows Best, Combat, Roy Rogers Show, 12 O'Clock High, the Ricky Nelson Show, Andy Griffith Show, Ed Sullivan, etc.

There wasn't the open violence, vulgarity, coarse talk and sexually explicit material programming on TV like today.
The following users liked this post:
Believer (01-24-2021)
Old 12-06-2014, 08:53 AM
donnyman

G/Ghost

you have stated the reasons why there is so much difference between "then" and "now" your last line speaks volumes.

i want to say I am truly happy with this thread, you all have turned the thread into a treasure trove for me. I thought I was alone but Now I know I am one of many.

I don't want to cause a ruckus but I gotta say ................GOD bless you all !!!! (whether you believe or not.)
Believer (01-24-2021)
Old 12-06-2014, 09:56 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I took my oldest grandson out flying he decided he didn't like it. What it really was is easy to understand. He thought it would be something he could just do but it scared him when he discovered it wasn't instant gratification.
Last time the boys were here I wanted to send them home with my shot gun collection. When I pulled out a couple to show them they couldn't remove there noses from there cell phones. I sent them home with only two guns, the rest went to my godson.
Neither of them even bothered to go out to my shop? Just a sign of the times. There is no need for anyone to have to put in any effort at anything these days. I try to understand them but it really upsets me.
The good news is I have a couple others that are just the opposite and into anything that has an engine or motor and if it goes bang it has to be good.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:21 AM
GallopingGhostler

You're welcome, donnyman and regarding a ruckus there really isn't any. This thread has actual gone along quite well and without the contentions and controversies I've seen in other threads. If one wants controversy say in one of the motorcycle forums, they only need bring up the topics of guns or motorcycle engine oils.

Originally Posted by Gray Beard
Neither of them even bothered to go out to my shop? Just a sign of the times. There is no need for anyone to have to put in any effort at anything these days. I try to understand them but it really upsets me. The good news is I have a couple others that are just the opposite and into anything that has an engine or motor and if it goes bang it has to be good.
Yes, it is amazing the diversity. How many are willing to listen to your advice, gained through all those greying hairs? I find overall that respect for elders in society is quite lacking.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:25 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Just found this thread and started from post #1, and have had some great chuckles, and reminders of the past. well I will be 83 in March and so I think I am suited for this thread my first kit was a comet purchased from the shoe store on our block I was 6 I think it coast a dime and came with a small tube of (no name glue) and tissue for covering we had to cut all of the parts and trim the sticks, as I remember it took about 20 kits before I got one to fly more than arms length, and during WWII that was all we could get. we did a lot of rubber power birds comet and sterling, at wars end I got into a club and C/L with a vival gas engine, then olsen/rice free flights, first radio was a heath kit single chnl with a galloping ghost escapement, then a reed 4chnl Don't remember the name.

I to still look up when I hear airplane fly over and I do know the difference in engine sounds and love radials.

Cheers Bob T
AMA13377
Corsair Brotherhood #6
Old 12-06-2014, 11:32 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by rt3232
Just found this thread and started from post #1, and have had some great chuckles, and reminders of the past. well I will be 83 in March and so I think I am suited for this thread my first kit was a comet purchased from the shoe store on our block I was 6 I think it coast a dime and came with a small tube of (no name glue) and tissue for covering we had to cut all of the parts and trim the sticks, as I remember it took about 20 kits before I got one to fly more than arms length, and during WWII that was all we could get. we did a lot of rubber power birds comet and sterling, at wars end I got into a club and C/L with a vival gas engine, then olsen/rice free flights, first radio was a heath kit single chnl with a galloping ghost escapement, then a reed 4chnl Don't remember the name.

I to still look up when I hear airplane fly over and I do know the difference in engine sounds and love radials.

Cheers Bob T
AMA13377
Corsair Brotherhood #6
I,ll bet you remember when the fuse formers were cardboard due to the war and ration coupons, the cut out airplanes on the back of cereal boxes, I can tell from sound single engine, twins and my favorite... four engine connies enroute to the airport. but my ears and a coupla other things ain't what they used to be.

Does this look familiar to anyone?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	fubar with spitzy.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	773.6 KB
ID:	2052677  
Old 12-06-2014, 11:38 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Gray Beard
When I took my oldest grandson out flying he decided he didn't like it. What it really was is easy to understand. He thought it would be something he could just do but it scared him when he discovered it wasn't instant gratification.
Last time the boys were here I wanted to send them home with my shot gun collection. When I pulled out a couple to show them they couldn't remove there noses from there cell phones. I sent them home with only two guns, the rest went to my godson.
Neither of them even bothered to go out to my shop? Just a sign of the times. There is no need for anyone to have to put in any effort at anything these days. I try to understand them but it really upsets me.
The good news is I have a couple others that are just the opposite and into anything that has an engine or motor and if it goes bang it has to be good.
Unfortunately your are not alone in this. I have tons of stuff to give but can't find the youngsters that will put fourth the effort to do anything with it.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:46 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

When I am asked how long I have been building model airplanes, I always have to take pause and just reply that I never remember a time when they were not around. My father was always building something. Planes, rockets, plastic models, building on the house, etc. I remember when he taught me how to solder. I think I was 6.
The thing I miss the most about this hobby were the great local hobby stores. Rows and rows of kits. I remember the C/L models the most, as R/C was still somewhat rare, as it really was pretty expensive until the late 70's early 80's.
The interesting thing about my dad, he had no interest in flying anything. He just liked to build. I always found this frustrating, as I liked to make the things work. Now, in this era of the ARF, it is so ironic to be at the flying field with the only plane that was actually built from plans or a kit. From my upbringing, building is at least half of the hobby for me. Then the excitement on the maiden flight to see something I built, be a success.

I am old enough to remember before Monokote and super glue. Even after I was exposed to it, I did things the old school way. In fact, at this point in my modeling career, I avoid plastic coverings like the plague. The first model I covered with that stuff was a Sig Banshee CL model. I learned quickly, that it was somewhat of a temporary proposition after it was exposed to fuel. Especially on a profile model. I will always remember my dad showing me how to apply silkspan on my Ringmaster though. That model came out very nice, and it was truly the beginning of my powered model career. THis was in 1983.
Believer (01-24-2021)
Old 12-06-2014, 12:15 PM
GallopingGhostler

More trivia, how many remember Berkeley plans? (Berkeley's designs were oft complex, had unconventional design features with die crunched kit wood requiring trim due to inaccuracies, fine details on plans were missing, that to build one made a man out of you, LOL.)

Goldberg Little Toot half-A CL biplane (with Testors .049 Red Head, last of the McCoy front rotory valves, my aplogies if I already posted this. Goldberg seemed to have a touch better kits than the others.)

Ace R/C The Littlest Stick (with Cox .020 Pee Wee and single channel pulse):

Goldberg 30" span Ranger 30 FF or CL (as FF with .020 Pee Wee):

Sterling Kit S-5, 30" span Ringmaster Junior (with OS Max .15FP CL). Modern Schneurle technology makes this engine hotter than needed and being heavier is not a good match, was very nose heavy even without muffler. (Built 20 years ago, been repaired multiple times, still flies.)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Impulse Envelope Front.jpg
Views:	1417
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	2052679   Click image for larger version

Name:	Impulse Envelope Back.jpg
Views:	1426
Size:	875.3 KB
ID:	2052680   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lil Toot w-McCoy 049 (640 pix).jpg
Views:	1458
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	2052681   Click image for larger version

Name:	Goldberg Range 30 Rt Side2.jpg
Views:	1441
Size:	492.6 KB
ID:	2052682   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ace RC Littlest Stick w-020 PeeWee2.gif
Views:	1405
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	2052683   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ring Jr 6oct13 End.jpg
Views:	1415
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	2052684  
Old 12-06-2014, 12:26 PM
gwweber
My Feedback: (24)

HMMM first rc had a Kraft 2 channel brick in a dumas deep-v 60 When I was younger had .049 cox control line and a cox teather car. That was fun to let go loose LOL.

My first heli did not have a gyro and had to travel 150 miles to get parts. Had fail written all over it!
gUESS BORN IN 1956 I HAD IT EASY lol

Last edited by gwweber; 12-06-2014 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:33 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
When I am asked how long I have been building model airplanes, I always have to take pause and just reply that I never remember a time when they were not around. My father was always building something. Planes, rockets, plastic models, building on the house, etc. I remember when he taught me how to solder. I think I was 6.
The thing I miss the most about this hobby were the great local hobby stores. Rows and rows of kits. I remember the C/L models the most, as R/C was still somewhat rare, as it really was pretty expensive until the late 70's early 80's.
The interesting thing about my dad, he had no interest in flying anything. He just liked to build. I always found this frustrating, as I liked to make the things work. Now, in this era of the ARF, it is so ironic to be at the flying field with the only plane that was actually built from plans or a kit. From my upbringing, building is at least half of the hobby for me. Then the excitement on the maiden flight to see something I built, be a success.

I am old enough to remember before Monokote and super glue. Even after I was exposed to it, I did things the old school way. In fact, at this point in my modeling career, I avoid plastic coverings like the plague. The first model I covered with that stuff was a Sig Banshee CL model. I learned quickly, that it was somewhat of a temporary proposition after it was exposed to fuel. Especially on a profile model. I will always remember my dad showing me how to apply silkspan on my Ringmaster though. That model came out very nice, and it was truly the beginning of my powered model career. THis was in 1983.
Amen brother Amen.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:37 PM
donnyman

G/ghost

I think the berkely kits if were not for the crummy wood were amongst the best kits ever produce. I still have several plans.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:42 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by RCKen
Well I just barely qualify for this group as I just turned 50 two days ago. I've been flying RC since 1996, however I've been dealing with building models and flying control line since I was 8 years old. So I've got quite a bit of experience on all aspects of the hobby.

Ken
Been meaning to ask..........would you be so kind as to share your expeiences with us!
Old 12-06-2014, 12:49 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
Donnyman, you mean this engine?

Testors McCoy .35 Red Head. recent flights on my Sterling S-1 Ringmaster.
Sorry I did not respond earlier, ..............but YES!... I have both The ringmaster needs finishing I am not sure if I'll use a fox or Mc coy. my first had the mc coy.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:30 PM
Hinckley Bill
My Feedback: (569)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Attended breakfast with members of one of the clubs I belong to......the average age of the 24 attendees had to be 65+.....had a wonderful time but sure was sad to think about the lack of youth involvement in the hobby.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:44 PM
donnyman

mr H. Bill

Yes the lack of younger folk is a major problem though I do see some at events. competeing with palm pilots etc. ain't easy compounded by instant gratification and short attention spans. Aviation doesn't have the mystique it once carried everything is moving at Mach one these days.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:26 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just squeak in with the 50+ rule. I consider myself a "COX Survivor." I think my 1st plane to fly was a Carl Goldberg Ringmaster. I was so excited when that engine finally fired up.....Got dizzy going round in circles that dumped her just so I could stay standing, but it was those darn Cox and Testor planes that I believe weeded out the pretenders. I love the building actually and I miss being able to look at and for new kits. Thank God for auctions and hoarders
Old 12-06-2014, 02:35 PM
tunakuts3d

I worked for Goldberg back in the 60's and yes I think his kits were a lot better on the fit and clean die cutting. Carl was a bit of a fanatic in regards the die cutting, he checked darn near every sheet set up before he would O.K. it to run on the press. He would have me adjusting the die knives for the tiniest amount to get a proper fit. On the 1/8 and thicker balsa sheets they were soaked in a tank of hot water and then die cut wet, so any crushing from the rubber in the die would be minimal and would swell back to the original thickness.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:05 PM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by donnyman
G/ghost I think the berkely kits if were not for the crummy wood were amongst the best kits ever produce. I still have several plans.
I think you're right about that, donnyman. I'm a late comer to Berkeley, bought a half dozen plans from Sig in the early 1990's when they were liquidating their remaining supply, bought 2 kits off E-Bay, 1959 Impulse 46" single channel trainer/pylon racer and 1960 Interceptor 42" combat/stunt CL for .35 engines. They have a lot of nice scale designs. I've documented the coarseness of the Impulse kit wood here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2106417

That is a plane I am still working on, am making it full house with a few minor changes to make it perform better on ailerons.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:27 PM
donnyman

I have a few Berkely plans that are IMHO are superior to many. Ex. the p-51, f4d, b25 and piper comanche all drawn very well with plenty detail I just love looking them over. but the wood especially the p-51 was so bad it ended up in the trash. I got most of the plans on rcgroups and the outerzone. I keep a digital archive. scratch building is my forte and I will scale a plane to whatever size I want. so plans are important to me. to produce a set of plans of the Berkely quality today would cost a bunch.

Remember the cleveland company? they are still around and have nice drawings also. I have their condor glider plans ...Beautiful! their PBY Catalina is awesome.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:46 PM
wjvail
My Feedback: (3)

What a wonderful thread. One of the most civil discussions I've seen on the internet for a long time.

I'm 54 (young by the sounds of it) but started with plastics when I was three and started flying control line when I was 7 (1967). That's about 51 years of modeling. When I began modeling silk and Silkspan were still available and MonoKote had just transitioned from square sheets of sticky backed plastics to the rolls of heat applied film we use today.

In the '70's my local hobby shop was THE place to hang out. It was the only place to buy an engine and they had cases of them. Every other engine in the case was still cross scavenged! The new super hot loop scavenged engines were out of my price range.

I ended up working in that hobby shop when I was 13. That'd be about 1974. I'd ride my bike there after school. I still remember they had an old Jensen Das Ugly Stick on the shelf. It was the first generation Ugly Stick and it had a large label on the front of the box warning modelers that this kit was designed for silk covering and its wing required the extra strength provide by silk. How far have we come in my lifetime.?!.?! I can hardly remember a time when people built airplanes. I can't imagine marketing ANY "kit" today - much less one that said the modeler MUST Silk and dope it.

Bill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.