Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 12-10-2014, 06:24 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, this thread is great. I really like walking down memory lane, with a lot of my past coming back. I had forgotten that I used to have to boil the old white props prior to use and that my wife had given me a pot that was my prop boiling pot and not a dinner pot. I also remembered my teen years trying to get some of the Cox U Control planes in the air. The PT-19 comes to mind right away. I can still smell the Ambroid glue drying when I decided to build a Carl Goldberg U Control plane. I can remember the hours that I spent trying to get the 0.49 engines running long enough to get in an attempted flight. I always did appreciate Cox coming out with the spring starter on their engines. Please keep the good old days coming back, it is so refreshing to go back in time when things were not so cluttered as life is today. Good Luck, Dave
Old 12-10-2014, 07:41 AM
koastrc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave, you are right. In the day we boiled the props with Ritz dye. I think that was it. The dye was a way to make sure the props had been boiled. Cox, Scientific. Goldberg, Sterling are some of the kits I built back in the day. Note, I said built. Successful flight, well that is another subject.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:37 AM
Gearbreaker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sisters boyfriend...

Not sure why but my "Sisters boyfriend" stories always seem to have craziness involved too. Usually broken arms and many stitches. (: Ah, those were the days. (:

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
My older sisters boyfriend (at the time 1982), who is responsible for guiding me into R/C, had an interesting first experience with a radio. He had purchased a 2 channel radio from a local hobby store (not knowing it was a surface frequency) and had big plans for his CL Ringmaster! Keep in mind I was just hanging around watching all of this. With no real aerodynamic knowledge, he was gonna make that Ringmaster RC! He installed the servos to the elevator and rudder, burying everything in the wing. No ailerons, the rudder should be enough!
On the big day we went to our local RC field. This Ringmaster had a Fox combat .36 installed, so it would have no trouble getting airborne. One of the R/C pilots walked over and said, "Let me know when you get that thing going, so I can be sure to get out of here!" He was serious too. And of course, we paid no mind. Well, he got it fired up, and I am pretty sure I released it. She left the ground, quickly, the arched over to the left and went straight into the runway!
So, I am sitting in the pits, wondering why it did not work ( was around 11 years old). I was watching a guy just doing touch and goes with his Sky tiger. After he landed I asked about his plane, as it flew so well. I asked him why he thought the Ringmaster did not fly. He said it needed ailerons most likely. That was the day I learned what an aileron was!
Interesting, My friend tried to use that same radio in an Eaglet 50 within a year. That is when we learned why you do not use surface frequencies for planes!
Old 12-10-2014, 08:40 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yah, it was the Fox combat special, sorta. They sold a sport version, that was stocked in the hobby shops from what I found out. It was still very powerful.

So a little more to that story. My friend gave me that .36 from the RC Ringmaster. We replaced the crank and the bearings. It was good as new. That engine ran so good, I used it for years flying CL. But......I fried it, running straight hobby store fuel, that was mostly synthetic and a low percentage. Of course I did not know any better at the time.

One day I dug that engine out, as I was getting serious about CL combat and needed engines. I sent that thing in to Fox, and they told me the whole story about the engine and my bad choice in fuel. (Lesson learned) So, wonderful Fox sent me a new, combat engine as an exchange, for very little money.

Once while flying this engine in combat practice, I had a head on, engine to engine mid-air! It took a nice little chunk out of the casting. The engine is fine otherwise. I still have this engine, and it is a great runner. Served me well in competition.

Great little history with that little Fox.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:46 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Boiling props! that I remember but adding dye, Now that's trick. Oh well i never had enough props at one time to need the dye. I heard the props would shed blades if not boiled but I never saw that problem unless a ground strike occured.
years later I ran a materials engineering lab. and injection molded a lot of nylon parts (those props were nylon) nylon is particular about how it is used, it had to be dried well before molding then dropped in water when the mold opened to prevent it being brittle ...........I don't know I am not a chemist.

I remember was the use of banana oil as a fuelproofer.....I could not stand banana's and that oil stunk to high heavens, it didn't take long for me to ignore the oil and for quite some time when I wiped my birds off the paint came with it. and as time wore on I had the entire front end of my bird depart to the nether regions, engine fuel tank and all. looked like a launched missle. two to three hundred yards later we'd find it wipe it off and break out the glue. I didn't think so at the time but in retrospect my sterling mustang (which I loved because it was cool) looked like Hell. Paint missing, massive plies of glue, slow flying when I flew against the flight streak but when I hit my friend FRANK'S flightstreak it disintegrated. My outer wing came off but I made a beautiful landing. needless to say Frank was P.O.'d but that is the miss fortune of school yard combat. Frank glued that pile of balsa back together and we were at it again the next weekend.

I miss those days.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:52 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Donny now that you mention it I seem to remember the dope I use to buy back in the 60s had a banana smell to it. I wonder if banana oil was a component of this dope?
Old 12-10-2014, 09:23 AM
donnyman

Default Fox Engine

The fox! now that was the engine to beat before O.S.Max. I always used Duke Fox fuel I didn't know any better either in 1956, Remember Missle mist? but that engine is now mounted in my nobler which I have never put in the air for one reason or another along with my veco squaw.

I just gotta ask Were Did VERTICAL grimmace come from????
Old 12-10-2014, 09:27 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Donny now that you mention it I seem to remember the dope I use to buy back in the 60s had a banana smell to it. I wonder if banana oil was a component of this dope?
I don't remember dope containing Banana oil, We used aerogloss or testors, that banana stink came in it's own jar. I only bought one!

Last edited by donnyman; 12-10-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:44 AM
vertical grimmace

The Fox combat sport design was the Mk. 5. This was about the time the Mk. 6 came out. Basically the same engine.

Vertical Grimmace.......I saw a Grimmace pencil eraser hanging vertically at a McDonalds one day. I proclaimed "Vertical Grimmace!" . Thought it was funny, and held on to the term until I found a good use for it. RCU, seemed to be the time! Love the double entendra.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:45 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
I don't remember dope containing. We used aerogloss or testors, that banana stink came in it's own jar. I only bought one!
Banana oil was some time back in lieu of clear dope. A company in UK still makes it:

http://www.shop4glue.com/banana-oil-...ylon-149-p.asp

Here's a scientific explanation of what it is with a brief history:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isoamyl_acetate

I've never used it and never recalled it ever being sold in the hobby stores as long back as I could read, but then I'm a young whipper snapper.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Shop4Glue Banana Oil.jpg
Views:	821
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	2053660  

Last edited by GallopingGhostler; 12-10-2014 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Get quote order correct.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:14 AM
donnyman

G/ghost

You are loaded with info ............ but no Nanna oil please Reading the explaination reminded me I did use it in my lab on occasion It wasn't necessarily before clear dope but definitly before fuelproof clear dope. clear dope was used in NITRATE form for a long time I still have some. Used it in high school on a wing section I built.

That's when highschool had four year aviation curriculums mine also had a link trainer (early flight simulators to you whipper snappers)
Old 12-10-2014, 10:21 AM
donnyman

V/grimmace

Are you a Flash Gorden fan? I loved Ming the Merciless. The dirtiest guy in the universe. just ask Buster Crabbe I got a DVD of one of the chapters................CORNEY!!!!!! but I do watch it on occasion.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:02 AM
GallopingGhostler

I remember the electronics learning lab kits in the late 1960's. My father was the electric shop teacher, so I had access after class. They contained a triode octal tube, 6 volter, can't recall the designation. I put together a one tube radio with it, used 2k Ohm headphones, could pick up AM stations with a long wire aerial on the roof of our rental house.

Put together a Philmore 5 tube table radio kit and got it to work. The students would solder then disassemble, by the late '60s they were getting rather worn out, so I put together a working one so students would have a model to help them assemble theirs.

Built Graymark 3 tube AM and shortwave regenerative receiver kit, used a 35W4 rectifier, 50L6 power amplifier and 12AV7 twin Mu triode for RF and 1st audio stage amp. It used plug in colis to change bands, did AM, 80m, 40m, 20m, 15m. Also built a Graymark 5 tube super-heterodyne AM shortwave radio.

Also built 1 and 2 transistor radios. All that finally led to me building my first RC kit radio, the Charlie's RC kit version of Bill Cannon's sport 4 channel mini radio system. Nowadays it is all highly integrated circuits with surface mount technology, making it difficult to do except by robotics. Most replacement is not by component but by sub assembly, circuit board, etc.

We didn't have much, but then you didn't need much, because it was a common thing to repair or send out for repair. But that experience comes in handy. About 6 months ago, our Kenmore gas dryer went out after 13 years service. It was a $3 thermal fuse that went out. Most would have bought a new dryer. I vacuumed all the lint in the exhaust system, put in a new fuse. Now it was ready for another 9 years service. (I heard something like gas dryers had a life expectancy of 22 years. I can milk a few more years out of it.)

There is a hangout for RC buffs, the Vintage R/C Society, a special interest group of AMA. They like to build the old design RC aircraft. Some have mated modern electronics on the newer frequencies with encoders to mimic old flight controls. Some have integrated the old flight controllers like escapements and actuators. Others have simply built the airframes and installed modern equipment, just to show what they are capable of. Engines vary from the ones back then to modern Schneurle or electric motors. Some like to maintain period correct look and feel.

It is something worth considering, if that tickles your fancy. http://www.vintagercsociety.org/
Old 12-10-2014, 11:09 AM
vertical grimmace

V/grimmace

Are you a Flash Gorden fan? I loved Ming the Merciless. The dirtiest guy in the universe. just ask Buster Crabbe I got a DVD of one of the chapters................CORNEY!!!!!! but I do watch it on occasion.
Yah, I thought that movie was cool. I added that quote to my signature as it seemed fitting for the times. ( our last recession). I just bought the vinyl soundtrack from the bay.

Amazing how we start off in this airplane stuff, and the path we take, to be where we are now in the hobby. I am currently building 1/5th scale TA 152, to be flown at the AMA Nats this summer. Scale is my thing now, after years of racing, combat (RC and CL), and tons of CL flying. I will say, the most fun I have had with the hobby was with CL. If RC gets too restrictive (enter the drone), I will probably just fly CL. Building is where it is at for me though. I could just stop with that if needed.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:03 PM
donnyman

V/Grimmace

I am with you on the building side. I Copy most of the kits and build two of the birds I really like. I don't compete but scale is good. I have a Bud nosen p-51 on the bench and a f-14 for twin turbine in the build/design stage. as soon as I figure the wing swing mech. out I will scale it up to hold more fuel. Controline models will always be a part of my program. I believe we will see some form of restriction with r/c because too many people have gone nuts and got the feds. involved.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:05 PM
vertical grimmace

V/Grimmace

I am with you on the building side. I Copy most of the kits and build two of the birds I really like. I don't compete but scale is good. I have a Bud nosen p-51 on the bench and a f-14 for twin turbine in the build/design stage. as soon as I figure the wing swing mech. out I will scale it up to hold more fuel. Controline models will always be a part of my program. I believe we will see some form of restriction with r/c because too many people have gone nuts and got the feds. involved.
I am kinda thinking of building a CG Sky tiger for old time sake. Being that I am a sentimental sort. I loved that plane. This time around I would throw a gasser on it, cover it with fabric and paint it. May have to start watchin' the bay for one of those. Would love to have the original kit, as opposed to the re-release.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:27 PM
HighPlains

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just don't consider any model built with lite ply to be vintage.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:00 PM
FlyerInOKC

I don't know Liteply was used as far back as WWII. They used balsa plywood in the Mosquito bomber.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:22 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't know Liteply was used as far back as WWII. They used balsa plywood in the Mosquito bomber.
No they did not they used a layer of ply on each side the balsa wood sandwiched in the middle. There was no such thing as balsa plywood. Starting about the 12 minute mark in the video shows the construction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh4vazBq-X4

Last edited by Propworn; 12-10-2014 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:14 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That is one hell of a fine video, thanks for posting it. I could watch more of them.

Leroy
Old 12-10-2014, 05:33 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
I am kinda thinking of building a CG Sky tiger for old time sake. Being that I am a sentimental sort. I loved that plane. This time around I would throw a gasser on it, cover it with fabric and paint it. May have to start watchin' the bay for one of those. Would love to have the original kit, as opposed to the re-release.
I got the kit... just gave part of it away
Old 12-10-2014, 05:37 PM
rt3232

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A bit of triva not only was balsa used in the Mosqito but also in the heat ablating shields of space craft ie: the the Apolo capsule and others.

+1 on the posting of the video

Cheers Bob T
Old 12-11-2014, 06:42 AM
FlyerInOKC

+1 on the video! I said Liteply because plywood is defined as a composite material made up of wood 'plies". Granted I'm sure the sandwiched wood plies on the Mosquito were considerably thicker than thin veneers used in light ply and plywood we use but the system is similar.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:57 AM
Greybeard1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My uncle once gave me a drawing board, made of a balsa core with what looked like a 1/32 veneer of maybe mahogany on each side, came from Lockheed, his day job at the time he got it. Wish I still had it. Think he said it was called balsa core. Don't quote me on that though.

Rich.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:04 AM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by MJD
I can't imagine the number of Sleek Streeks, Skeeters and Star Flyers I burned through as a kid. It was real special if I got the Star Flyer.

(From thread, 1959 Berkeley Impulse Single Channel Pylon Racer Build.) They were $0.25 each back in the mid 1960's.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.