Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 07:30 PM
saintcreed
My Feedback: (205)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have to agree with all that have stated how many memories this thread has brought back. I could write pages...Started in '58--control line --the old silk & dope era...took many hours of repairs before getting the hang of things.. Then got a ringmaster, with a Mcoy .35, that I still have & run occasionally..Then moved up to the pulse system, rudder control only...1st real TX was an Airtronics flying a dynaflite butterfly w/ OS .15, which got wore out on that plane...Then an Ace 4-60, on which I wore out an OS .61 4stroke..rebuilt the front end recovered it, put on an OS .70 and flew it for years as a knock around plane.. ..just sold that plane 2 yrs. ago...From there on the planes just got bigger and biggger.. Now into large gassers....50cc-120cc. Except for my 5th U Can Do that I fly every time I need my NITRO FIX!!!!!.. Still love that smell. Helped a friend this past summer build a 50% 540 Edge with a 3w275 up front....flies like a trainer and lands the same way...When reading this thread it reminds everyone how much things have changed... Never in my wildest dreams when I started this hobby 56 yrs ago with a .020 running on a wooden test stand would have ever thought I'd fly a plane weighing 62'# with 275cc engine up front swinging a 37" prop.....If my dad was still around he'd definatly tell me I'd lost my mind..enough said...

All you gentlemen here fly often, fly safe and enjoy our great hobby and the friends one finds there...
Old 12-11-2014, 09:03 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Speaking of getting on the roof back in the sweet stupid days of youth. I rigged a Band Aid box (back when they were all metal) with a parachute so when I threw it off the roof the door would open and the chute opened. It was something to do.
Most kids today would not have the imagination.
I remember the green hollow blow molded army soldier about 5 or 6 inches tall with a 12 or 14" parachute with 8 lines. These were inexpensive, can't remember the cost. Used to play with them for hours, throwing them with parachute rolled up to the highest heights we could attain by hand.

We even made even larger ones out of plastic trash bags, used heavier items to drop by chute. I got to where I could untangle the lines easily, as they would get tangled up every half dozen throws. We climbed trees to toss. There was a tall mango tree behind our house in Hawaii. Back in the '60s, my brothers got GI Joe dolls, but I didn't because I guess I was older.

We used to play war together, go on patrols like Sergeant Saunders (Vic Morrow) in the TV series Combat. "I'm hit but it's only a flesh wound", LOL. The guest star would always be the one to die in the squad.

Last edited by GallopingGhostler; 12-11-2014 at 09:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Believer (01-25-2021)
Old 12-11-2014, 09:37 PM
GallopingGhostler

How many remember Fireball XL5?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L59mbGpzOoI Then preceding by about 25 years, Buck Rogers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTtc-u3zFGk Shortly after Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2GfYXtgneQ Purple came before Prince, LOL.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:47 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh yes. Good memories there.

I remember Fireball XL-5. The kid across the street had a model of it that I was fiercely jealous of. He also had a Johnny Seven that was the Rolls Royce of toy rifles.

I had a Monkey Division pistol (dart) and a booby trap that would get confiscated about monthly.

Remember Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea? I had a model of the SeaView submarine with the little flying sub that popped out. Great show!

My lunchbox was The Man From U.N.C.L.E.. I came across a bunch of VHS tapes of these old shows at a garage sale and they're pretty campy and still good TV. I used to have a cap pistol version of the U.N.C.L.E. disassembleable pistol/carbine that was traded off for something.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	69397_s0.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	2054386   Click image for larger version

Name:	TheManFromUNCLE.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	2054387  
Believer (01-25-2021)
Old 12-12-2014, 06:59 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

G/ghost

You bet I remember.....My favorite... Flash gordon with the smoke rising and sparks falling from his space ship. Ming the merciless was a fascinating character ..the bad guy. i have the video and can't stop laughing at the cornyness..wonderful.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:06 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Ram-bro
that looks like the Mambo I remember. I just might have to go buy one
RAM-BRO

I don't think you will find a kit of the mambo but surely with your skills scratching out a bird would not slow you down, I remember it being built like a army tank, a three chanel set up and lighter materials should give you a fine flyer for some relaxed flying.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:28 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Greybeard1
Brunings have their own problems, the parallel arms are replaced with metal bands, and the ball bearings in the joints get stiff, then the band will slip and it's not holding position anymore. Easy enough to pop them out and clean them, re-lube but can cause errors if you don't see it right away. I've got Turbocad, I think 17, but the old machine is easier, usually quicker.

Rich.
Yes learning and getting comfortable with cad does have a long learning curve, I found autocad the hardest because they offer far too many ways of doing the same thing. my favorite was Catia a 3d program that i could really move fast with. Before I left the company I was in a two week course on advanced 3d which was very enjoyable. I still use cad to design and scale my scratch builds and was having a ball until both my plotters went belly up. Can't get parts for the pen plotter, can't find paper for the thermal. but I have my eye on a 36" printer that should suffice.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:52 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

I remember Fireball XL-5 it was a favorite of my brother and myself. I had the large model of the yellow flying sub from Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. Right now we have a local TV station affiliated with METV and The Man From U.N.C.L.E.is playing on Saturdays.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:34 AM
donnyman

I just watched the video of buck rogers,.......Can't stop smiling, It is my first time seeing it. Man the memories of the movies at the saturday matinee in my old nieghborhood, We carried groceries for people to get monie for the theater.

I am eating this up!!
Old 12-12-2014, 08:35 AM
GallopingGhostler

How many remember Rat Patrol?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxcmDCo9LLI
Believer (01-25-2021)
Old 12-12-2014, 08:42 AM
GallopingGhostler

Remember the Superman comic books? Recently a pristene copy of the first edition sold for $3.5 million.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/20...n_on_ebay.html
Old 12-12-2014, 09:07 AM
popargr

Commando Cody with his strap on jet pack
Old 12-12-2014, 09:55 AM
Greybeard1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes learning and getting comfortable with cad does have a long learning curve,
Just before I retired, I was asked if I wanted access to Pro E. Not for designing anything, I was the gage tech at the time, but because I could use it to derive code for the Zeiss CMM. No thanks, that's what engineers are for. For learning curve, I've been working on a 3d graphic program called Blender for years. It will do anything from modeling to animation to rendering, but intuitive is what it ain't. Page after page of keyboard commands, and it's been around for a long time. Freeware, but it'll do what some of the really expensive programs will. I use Wings3d instead. A lot easier once you learn "right click" for almost everything. Confusing until then. All 3d software is.

Rich.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:08 AM
carddfann

I'm coming up on 50 as fast as the ground (take that as you want ) but I've been in it since about 1975 or 76. My first kit was a Comet Avenger. Dad and I worked on it together in the detached garage where our cat lived. After we got it done and ready to cover, we walked into the garage one day and found it stomped to pieces with tell tale signs of who did it all over the plan (dirty cat prints). I don't remember if there were mouse prints or not. So I got in on the tail end of Comet kits and Scientific kits before they went out of business. My first CL model kit was a Scientific super stuntmaster with a built up wing. Yes, Scientific was barely still in business at that time. I remember ordering and receiving from them a rubber powered P40 that dropped 2 little bombs on the decent. I also remember seeing their add in the classifieds in the back of Popular Mechanics. The memories and I still miss my dad very much!
Old 12-12-2014, 10:12 AM
Charlie P.

Loved Rat Patrol.

Remember Sky Koing?

Here's an homage to the Cessna T-50. Now this would be a great modeling project!

http://youtu.be/j5-18MR8aZs
Old 12-12-2014, 10:20 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have Prism TV and a lot of these shows are still on. I never liked the puppet type of shows but of course saw them. Voyage and Rat Patrol are on youtube and amazon and I have seen some of them not too long ago. If you can remember them you can often just look them up and take a trip down memory lane. When I got my new kitten she liked to watch TV and would sit here on my puter so I was looking up a lot of old stuff and we would both sit here and watch these old shows. We both really enjoyed the Munsters!!
Old 12-12-2014, 10:22 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
How many remember Rat Patrol?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxcmDCo9LLI
It was a regular must see at my house even in reruns.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:36 AM
Greybeard1

Once I got through the Roy Rogers, Gene Autrey stage, I didn't pay much attention to it. Got my ham license, and because of the weak front end in the tv at the time, every time I touched the key, the screen would blank, With a brother and two sisters, guess who lost that one, if you have to. Don't have a working TV in the house, won't have one, but I own the place, I pay the bills, no wife, kid gone, guess whose opinion counts.

Rich.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:39 AM
GallopingGhostler

I just watched the video of buck rogers,.......Can't stop smiling, It is my first time seeing it. Man the memories of the movies at the Saturday matinee in my old neighborhood, We carried groceries for people to get monies for the theater. I am eating this up!!
What I find amazing is the special effects and sounds they used back then. The buzzing sound of the spaceship in flight was amplification of a noisy 60 Hertz power transformer. They used scale modeled backgrounds of terrain with spaceship puppetry and fireworks to mimic spacecraft in flight. Superimposed films by shooting an effect through time lapse photography, then refilming with the same film. All these were done to keep things cost effective but with enough realism to enthral children and young adults who watched.

Nowadays they use a lot more realistic computer animation, but the plots and story lines haven't improved or changed. It reminds me that people really haven't changed. I catch a little humor from these statements:

Originally Posted by Gaius Petronius Arbiter circa 66 AD
We trained hard ... but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams we would be reorganized. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing; and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization.
I've seen a lot of that in the work place to include:

Originally Posted by Mother Teresa of Calcutta
We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, with so little, for so long, that now we are qualified to anything with nothing.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:56 AM
Greybeard1

And back on the subject, how many other guys are like me, box after box of balsa and ply, and not one blasted sheet the right thickness! I need 3/32, I have 1/16. I need one eighth, I have 3/16. I need 3/16, I don't have enough. I want to order from BUSA, but not until I pay the last charges off. And, I HATE WAITING!

Rich
Old 12-12-2014, 12:05 PM
Greybeard1

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
I've seen a lot of that in the work place to include:
My favorite was the cartoon Donald Duck in lab coat,rolled prints under one arm, slide rule in the other, angry expression and cigarette hanging from his beak, "Every day of my life forces me to add to the number of people that can kiss my ---". Came from engineering, but probably not original.

Rich
Old 12-12-2014, 12:19 PM
Charlie P.

Originally Posted by Gaius Petronius Arbiter circa 66 AD

We trained hard ... but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams we would be reorganized. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing; and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization.
No less true - but I think that quote was from Charlton Ogburn regarding Merrill's Marauders in WWII

We trained hard, but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams we would be reorganized. Presumably the plans for our employment were being changed. I was to learn later in life that, perhaps because we are so good at organizing, we tend as a nation to meet any new situation by reorganizing; and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization.
Charlton Ogburn, "Merrill's Marauders", Harpers Magazine, January 1957
I have used it in the past is how I know.

Also two good ones from Walt Kelly

"We have met the enemy and he is us."

"Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent."
Old 12-12-2014, 12:30 PM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by Charlie P.
No less true - but I think that quote was from Charlton Ogburn regarding Merrill's Marauders in WWII. I have used it in the past is how I know. Also two good ones from Walt Kelly
"We have met the enemy and he is us."
"Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent."
After doing net searching, believe you're right. It's been one of those quote legends that gets passed down through time, misquoted and passed on. I learned of that reorganization one back in the mid 1980's. That first Walt Kelly one was in a Pogo cartoon, I may have a copy of it somewhere filed away.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:32 PM
GallopingGhostler

And back on the subject, how many other guys are like me, box after box of balsa and ply, and not one blasted sheet the right thickness! I need 3/32, I have 1/16. I need one eighth, I have 3/16. I need 3/16, I don't have enough. I want to order from BUSA, but not until I pay the last charges off. And, I HATE WAITING! Rich
Yes, it seems one can never have enough balsa to work with. That goes true with aircraft ply and music wire also. I look to the positive. Back in Hawaii in the 1970's, I waited 4 weeks for a parcel post order to arrive after mailing it with a money order.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:48 PM
FlyerInOKC

And back on the subject, how many other guys are like me, box after box of balsa and ply, and not one blasted sheet the right thickness! I need 3/32, I have 1/16. I need one eighth, I have 3/16. I need 3/16, I don't have enough. I want to order from BUSA, but not until I pay the last charges off. And, I HATE WAITING!

Rich
Boy do I ever resemble this statement!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.