Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 04:03 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing to do with flying but memories just the same
but no one can forget Prices Summer Fall Winter Spring.
on Hoddy Duddy

Now let's all sing

M I C K E Y M O U S E

1956 cast photo. Front row; L–R: Annette Funicello, Karen Pendleton, Cubby O'Brien, Sherry Alberoni, Dennis Day. Row two: Charley Laney, Sharon Baird, Darlene Gillespie, Jay-Jay Solari. Row three: Tommy Cole, Cheryl Holdridge, Larry Larsen, Eileen Diamond. Row four: Lonnie Burr, Margene Storey, Doreen Tracey. Back row: Jimmie Dodd, Bobby Burgess.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:14 PM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob2160
Look what you did donnyman.... 15 pages in just 10 days.. best thread I've seen on RCU for a long time.
Thanks....................... I am having a lot of fun!
Old 12-13-2014, 04:23 PM
trainermaster80
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I AM 86 STARTED AT 5 WITH A RUBBER BAND POWERE MR MULLIGAN MY MOTHER HELPED ME TO BUILD. IT FLEW OFF OUR UPSTAIRS PORCH OVER THE GARAGE AND 50 FT BACK IN THE ADJACENT VACANT LOT. BEEN HOOKED EVER INCE.
WILL ROUND UP SOME PICTURES & OLD IGNITION STUFF AFTER THE HOLIDAYS. MY 1st ENGINE WAS A BULLET SPARK IGNITION
TRAINERMASTER

Last edited by trainermaster80; 12-17-2014 at 01:08 PM. Reason: USER NAME WAS WRONG
Old 12-13-2014, 04:45 PM
donnyman

The programs I mentioned did go back before we had a tv and I first saw them at a friends house when I was real a whipper snapper.........The captain video show was "the" or one of the first tv shows dealing with space travel, Tom Corbit and the space cadets came a little later but more tech.

The good guys always wore white hats.....well most of them did. Black hats were the bad guys........good guy bad guy stuff was the norm way back when........But Darth Vader stepping out on the screen in that black suit had me jumping up and down we once again had a real good guy, bad guy show.

One of my favorite puppet shows was time for BEANIE. Beanie boy wore one of those hats with the propeller on top and lived on a boat with a spineless captain that was always scared and had a boat called the leaking lena, But to me the real star of the show was CECIL, yep, Cecil the sea sick sea serpent Wait the bad guy.......Dishonest john, black hat, cape and long mustache. he turned the sea to marsh mallow so cecil had to eat a path for the leaking lena to sail ok ok ok I'll stop.

I love the corny stuff!

Hound Dog...................... you got the princess right on.

Last edited by donnyman; 12-13-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:52 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by trainermaster80
I AM 86 STARTED AT 5 WITH A RUBBER BAND POWERE MR MULLIGAN MY MOTHER HELPED ME TO BUILD. IT FLEW OFF OUR UPSTAIRS PORCH OVER THE GARAGE AND 50 FT BACK IN THE ADJACENT VACANT LOT. BEEN HOOKED EVER INCE.
WILL ROUND UP SOME PICTURES & OLD IGNITION STUFF AFTER THE HOLIDAYS. MY 1st ENGINE WAS A BULLET SPARK IGNITION
AEROMASTER GUY
Hello! Trainermaster

please post as much as you want, it will be a blast to see what you had. I can't seem to get enough.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:08 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

If anyone is interested in revisiting the early days of RC but with a reliable 2.4 RF link and reliable modern servos but set up to behave like anything from a single button sequential rubber driven escapement to an Orbit 12 channel reed set with duramites.

http://youtu.be/38vrO1fxlJQ Phil has produced quite a number now and as they use standard RF modules for the transmitter the USA FCC should be happy unless someone knows different.

Anyway here is a link to his web site. http://www.mccrash-racing.co.uk/sc/sc24g.htm
Old 12-13-2014, 05:12 PM
binns aero

Still trying to find "FIREBALL X-5" re-runs.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:17 PM
binns aero

Sorry must be getting old, ment 'FIREBALL XL-5'.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:26 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Some footage from a UK event on a typically windy British Sunday.

[h=1]PANDAS Single-Channel & Retro R/C Event, 8th June 2014[/h]
http://youtu.be/KjSSH-wQObU
Old 12-13-2014, 06:57 PM
ecadams

Just found this site while surfing and thought I'd stick my nose in. I qualify in the older curmudgeon class (66), but didn't start modelling until I retired. I belong to an electric only club, so everything I have is "electrocuted". Although I have all different types of models, my faves are old timers (fortunately, old timers are perfect candidates for electric power) and stick & tissue indoor rc models. Here's some of my old timer fleet for amusement value - Super Buccaneer, Powerhouse and Dallaire Pee Wee Speedster. I just love their flying characteristics and they're big and slow enough for my aging eyes.

Eric
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eric rc 2006 001 Buccaneer.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	2054881   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7075.JPG
Views:	568
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	2054882   Click image for larger version

Name:	eric 2012 046.jpg
Views:	678
Size:	2.77 MB
ID:	2054883  
Old 12-13-2014, 07:08 PM
BrightGarden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ecadams
everything I have is "electrocuted". HA, electrocuted - too bad fuelers are being pushed further and further out from civilization. At one point it is too far and might as well fly only sparkies.

Eric
Great pics, Eric - so glad the golden oldies are still here in good force...
Just got back from printing four rubber powered plans at my local Staples - Thanks much to SteveWMD / Outerzone, and others here on RCU who post plans...
Cheers - PG
Old 12-13-2014, 07:34 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (29)

I am 48. Close enough ?? I can say I have been addicted to this hobby a very long time. I miss the kits that we had years back. A lot of choices on what to build. I can remember the first roll of Monokote. That sure saved a lot of work compared to silk span and dope.
I learned to fly by throwing a Marks Models Wanderer. Launched it from a high start. But yep those old days with Titebond , pins , wax paper are far and few. I still build with Elmers Carpenter glue . The CA fumes ect. That's another topic
But I am great full for ARFs , CA and all the advances this hobby as come to become !
Old 12-13-2014, 07:36 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (29)

Now I am going to browse this web site and see what I will buy or want to buy , but do I really need more ??
Old 12-13-2014, 09:22 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by binns aero
Still trying to find "FIREBALL XL-5" re-runs.
YouTube has a good number of full episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+full+episodes

If you're looking for the DVD, Amazon has it:

http://www.amazon.com/Fireball-XL5-C...dp/B00QMSP4KK/

The above is the colorized version to be released March 15, 2015. It is discounted to $21 if pre-ordered earlier.

The black and white DVD series is now available for $35, all 39 episodes on 5 disks.

http://www.amazon.com/Fireball-XL5-C...dp/B00007J6DN/

Name:	61z5f1rLdHL.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	2054904   Click image for larger version

Name:	813vpZJyIYL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	253.9 KB
ID:	2054905  
Old 12-13-2014, 10:09 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
The programs I mentioned did go back before we had a tv and I first saw them at a friends house when I was real a whipper snapper.........The captain video show was "the" or one of the first tv shows dealing with space travel, Tom Corbit and the space cadets came a little later but more tech.

The good guys always wore white hats.....well most of them did. Black hats were the bad guys........good guy bad guy stuff was the norm way back when........But Darth Vader stepping out on the screen in that black suit had me jumping up and down we once again had a real good guy, bad guy show.

One of my favorite puppet shows was time for BEANIE. Beanie boy wore one of those hats with the propeller on top and lived on a boat with a spineless captain that was always scared and had a boat called the leaking lena, But to me the real star of the show was CECIL, yep, Cecil the sea sick sea serpent Wait the bad guy.......Dishonest john, black hat, cape and long mustache. he turned the sea to marsh mallow so cecil had to eat a path for the leaking lena to sail ok ok ok I'll stop.

I love the corny stuff!

Hound Dog...................... you got the princess right on.

I got my RCU handle "proptop" from Beany and Cecil (the seasick sea serpent)
Born in '60...and in the early 60's I had a Beany-Copter hat...remember those? It had a wind-up propeller on top...you wound up the spring, then pulled a cord and the propeller spun and took off... (it didn't take long for me to lose all the plastic props, in the trees, or on the roof, etc.)

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...-search&iscqry=

Last edited by proptop; 12-13-2014 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:47 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnqqksKIufU

Willie wins his Wings

John
Old 12-14-2014, 09:43 AM
donnyman

Default beanie

Proptop
You are my hero................I watched the videos of beanie, Lovin it Yes I remember the beanie, it was big hit for a while. didn,t have the money to get one though . I am going to enjoy this for quite sometime now. I haven't smiled this much in years Thanks.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:07 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by j.duncker
If anyone is interested in revisiting the early days of RC but with a reliable 2.4 RF link and reliable modern servos but set up to behave like anything from a single button sequential rubber driven escapement to an Orbit 12 channel reed set with duramites.

http://youtu.be/38vrO1fxlJQ Phil has produced quite a number now and as they use standard RF modules for the transmitter the USA FCC should be happy unless someone knows different.

Anyway here is a link to his web site. http://www.mccrash-racing.co.uk/sc/sc24g.htm
Fantastic just wonderful! the old radio sets needn't be lost to us the videos prove that.........now will we see these upgrades advance into the multi radio sets that are no longer able to be used due to the frequecy changes of the 90's??
I have several that work but are not narrow banded.......With very little knowledge of electronics I ask these questions I would pay to keep what I have.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:31 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Jetex engines and the planes you built for them.

Dennis
Old 12-14-2014, 10:43 AM
bobbydee

45 years ago I remember a friends dad whom had a small back room filled with cigerite smoke with a mixture of nitro and vodka aroma in the air.with a few control line planes and radio equipment scattered about.thats when I got hooked,on rc that is.
finding it hard to find local hobby shops that have building stuff anymore.I love a good kit.first one was a top flight p51 followed by a royal cessna 310q. needless to say they took me forever to almost finish!
I still love to go threw my old rc mags.to me rc is buildin and flyin.sticks/ glue and nitro.we dabbled a little in rockets also until we had a launchpad mishap.the flame burnt threw the fuse(model airplane glue} alittle soon igniting the motor fuel (gun powder)and my buddys face turned black quick! damn funny.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:13 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
Fantastic just wonderful! the old radio sets needn't be lost to us the videos prove that.........now will we see these upgrades advance into the multi radio sets that are no longer able to be used due to the frequecy changes of the 90's?? I have several that work but are not narrow banded.......With very little knowledge of electronics I ask these questions I would pay to keep what I have.
What is popular now is replacing or bypassing and deactivating the transmitter's old radio frequency (RF) circuit portion with a modern 2.4 GHz RF deck and antenna, then using the matching 2.4 GHz receiver. This will work with the older digital proportional systems. The reeds, analogue proportional and escapement systems require additional hacking to build a custom circuit that will emulate them and convert signals to digital that can be handled by the new transmitter's 2.4 GHz RF deck. Receiver requires post processing and converting channel data to be able to drive the older actuators if used. Some use the new servos and the custom transmitter encoder to emulate control service action similar to escapements and reeds.

Theoretically one could more or less mimic Galloping Ghost with modern servos in a manner that the plane would fly as though it were GG, but would not see pulsing tail surfaces. (Use the average of throws.)

Best would be to contact someone experienced willing to do this service for you, and knows enough to procure the modules, too. A start would be contacting the VR/CS. http://www.vintagercsociety.org/ Dave Platt and others you may know are members of VR/CS.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:13 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Propworn
Jetex engines and the planes you built for them.

Dennis
I still have some, just recently built a Mig 15. but didn't think to set it up for jetex.........Hmmmmmmm

Name:	jetex augmentor tube.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	791.9 KB
ID:	2054999   Click image for larger version

Name:	jetex motors.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	774.3 KB
ID:	2055000   Click image for larger version

Name:	engine collection 033.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	768.5 KB
ID:	2055001  
Old 12-14-2014, 12:20 PM
donnyman

G/Ghost

Obviuosly you have a much better understanding of the sparky stuff than me. but If I could get a circuit diagram and board lay out I,d love to give it a go. I will look into that vintage society. ..THANKS
Old 12-14-2014, 12:32 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by JohnBuckner
that video has some age on it, with information that is solid today.

that Piper comanche reminded me of the hours spent flying from here to Tuskegee AL. for our annual flyin.

THANKS
Old 12-14-2014, 01:00 PM
donnyman

It seems natural to me that the vintagercsociety and J.Dunker (post 385) radio set would make a good union!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.