Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 04:18 PM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by ARUP; 01-28-2015 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:20 PM
hapyjac2
My Feedback: (927)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All these early attempts at flight sure brings back some great memories, lots of frustration, but fun none the less,
Old 12-15-2014, 04:26 PM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for posting the pic.... Mike is greatly missed. The hole he left is only assuaged by the enjoyment of his post for many years.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:44 PM
Greybeard1

Originally Posted by ARUP
. How about the Harmonicats or Spike Jones' silliness! .
Jerry Murad, lead, Hohner chromatic, I think custom made, Al Fiori, Hohner 48 chord harmonica, Don Les, bass and diatonic harmonica, Greats, sadly, all three gone. Then there was also Johny Puleo and his group, Jerry Murad got his start with them, playing bass. Spike Jones, search you tube for him, lots of stuff, still funny. Didn't know then, but Spike Jones and his band, according to a bio done on him, also on youtube, they were all lit up like Christmas trees or plastered like a wall when they performed, Couldn't tell it though. Frank Weir, (The Happy Wanderer), and a hundred more bands that were all extremely accomplished. But, now that I've stumbled into him in the last thirty years, Jesse Crawford, theater organ. Just another great.

MY musical inventory.
One bass guitar.
Two violins
one cornet
one trombone
the last Thomas organ built.
nine guitars
twenty eight harmonicas
one accordion
one electronic keyboard.
And my hands don't work for crap anymore.

Rich.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:29 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Rubber band guns, cork guns, bloop guns {ping Pong Balls} but my dad made me a big rubber band gun and it required cutting an inner tube to make the bands. Bows and arrows were a big thing too, I was lucky, I lived a couple doors down from the Washington State Champ and got private lessons. I even had beaver traps and in the back of the comic books they advertised what they wanted you to skin and tan then send in for some cool stuff. Varmint hunting was a big thing for us and it paid. Neighbors paid me for shooting black birds out of there fruit trees. Learned to drive a car and motorcycle in the field next door when I was 9 or 10. We raced everything we owned, even our Flexible Flyers down the snow sled hill. The hill was just above our CL plane field that we used in the spring.
I got a 50 cent a week allowance and that got me into the movie on Friday night and Matinee on Sat. including a soft drink and box of popcorn for both shows. They were all a double feature with a cartoon between shows. They were old war movies or things like Godzilla.
How about tying your sled on the bumper of a car and getting towed around town by someones dad.
How did we ever survive??
Old 12-15-2014, 05:43 PM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by AMA 74894
OH yeah... and yes. those water rockets are still available, (I got one for my kid a couple years ago... ) I'm looking for a photo that I KNOW I HAVE (an old Cox tether car.) well I've posted this one before, but can't quite find the one I'm looking for...
this one was my 9th birthday, with a Cox Tethercar called the 'Shriek' .. (and it DID shriek too with that little .049 )
My Brother Mike (MinnFlyer) on the right, me on the left... and a fuel bulb full of Missle mist

I envy you I would love to have such a picture of my youth. Protect it.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:59 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by ARUP
I remember Cecil and Beanie Boy, vaguely. How about the Harmonicats or Spike Jones' silliness! I used to fly balloons on the floor heat register which was a similar principle to the toy fan and balloon gizmo.
Wow the Harmonicats I loved the sounds they made, If I am not confused I think they did a song "Peg of my heart, I just loved it haven't heard anything as pretty since.

Spike jones put smiles on a lot of peoples faces he made fun music.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:09 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't usually give pluges - but this crowd may appreciate. . . especially those remembering the Harmonicats.

This guy is French - but if American "artists" at the Superbowl would sing our National Anthem like this I'd be a happier American.

Winter Wonderland
http://youtu.be/XV8kleyuo-4

Star Spangled Banner
http://youtu.be/DyCn0_UxwDw
Old 12-15-2014, 06:12 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Gray Beard
Rubber band guns, cork guns, bloop guns {ping Pong Balls} but my dad made me a big rubber band gun and it required cutting an inner tube to make the bands. Bows and arrows were a big thing too, I was lucky, I lived a couple doors down from the Washington State Champ and got private lessons. I even had beaver traps and in the back of the comic books they advertised what they wanted you to skin and tan then send in for some cool stuff. Varmint hunting was a big thing for us and it paid. Neighbors paid me for shooting black birds out of there fruit trees. Learned to drive a car and motorcycle in the field next door when I was 9 or 10. We raced everything we owned, even our Flexible Flyers down the snow sled hill. The hill was just above our CL plane field that we used in the spring.
I got a 50 cent a week allowance and that got me into the movie on Friday night and Matinee on Sat. including a soft drink and box of popcorn for both shows. They were all a double feature with a cartoon between shows. They were old war movies or things like Godzilla.
How about tying your sled on the bumper of a car and getting towed around town by someones dad.
How did we ever survive??
Inner tube gun, I remember it well.
my older brother used a broom stick the strip of inner tube nailed to the front, shot ball bearings for miles...(ball bearing factory two blocks from our building) lotta fun until we put a bearing through the neighbors window and broke her dishes. we denied it and no one found any evidence of it.................yeah, we lied!!!
Old 12-15-2014, 06:18 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by charlie p.
i don't usually give pluges - but this crowd may appreciate. . . Especially those remembering the harmonicats.

This guy is french - but if american "artists" at the superbowl would sing our national anthem like this i'd be a happier american.

Winter wonderland
http://youtu.be/xv8kleyuo-4

star spangled banner
http://youtu.be/dycn0_uxwdw
bravo!!
Old 12-15-2014, 06:35 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hmmm I remember Spike Jones as 'Spike Jones and the Wackie Wackakeans From his song 'Hawaian Warchant Had that one in my first record collection of 78's..

John

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 12-15-2014 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:51 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Found it! Be patient for the first 46 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7sw...layer_embedded

John
Old 12-15-2014, 07:45 PM
Charlie P.

That brings to mind the crystal set (Gilbert?) that I had with the 100 ft wire antenna in the back yard that allowed me to get Dr. DImento from the Chicago station. I remember doing my homework with headphones on listining to "The Cockroach that Ate Cincinnatti" and other greats!
Old 12-15-2014, 10:10 PM
Greybeard1

Spikes band was the City Slickers.
Here's a couple,

Sorry, deleted one, maybe not appreciated by some.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvt4b_qwC_Q

Donny, 1948 the Harmonicats made Peg O' my Heart. Got it on CD, you can also find it on you tube. Also Galloping Commedians, and just about anything the Harmonicats did while recording or in appearances. They were the greats.

Rich.

Last edited by Greybeard1; 12-15-2014 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:59 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie P.
That brings to mind the crystal set (Gilbert?) that I had with the 100 ft wire antenna in the back yard that allowed me to get Dr. DImento from the Chicago station. I remember doing my homework with headphones on listening to "The Cockroach that Ate Cincinnati" and other greats!
Back around 1967, my father mail ordered me an Olson Electronics pocket crystal AM radio kit. He showed me how to solder, I assembled it, looked like an ivory colored miniature plastic 6 transistor radio case, but the only guts were the antenna coil, 365 mfd tuning capacity, 1N34 Germanium diode, 2,000 Ohm ear bud and about 4 feet of wire with an alligator clip. I connected that lead to a chain link fence and could pick up local stations. They were faint, but I could make them out and listen to them. When my father brought home a long wire antenna kit, I installed it above the roof. That had improved reception. It's amazing how well those non-powered crystal radios worked.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:59 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
Back around 1967, my father mail ordered me an Olson Electronics pocket crystal AM radio kit. He showed me how to solder, I assembled it, looked like an ivory colored miniature plastic 6 transistor radio case, but the only guts were the antenna coil, 365 mfd tuning capacity, 1N34 Germanium diode, 2,000 Ohm ear bud and about 4 feet of wire with an alligator clip. I connected that lead to a chain link fence and could pick up local stations. They were faint, but I could make them out and listen to them. When my father brought home a long wire antenna kit, I installed it above the roof. That had improved reception. It's amazing how well those non-powered crystal radios worked.
You bet cha and if you did not get cought tie the far end around the highest peg on the power pole don't have a clue why but we then could get fairly good reception my next door buddy and I used the same long wire

Cheers Bob T
Old 12-16-2014, 05:23 AM
donnyman

LOL!!!!

Is it just me or do you find yourself rereading all the stuff on this thread?

I listened to spike jones, the harmonicats, and had one of those crystal radios. My antenna was the steam radiator, I lived on the nineth floor. memories are
G/ghost said it may be the cure for dementia, I think he has something there. my old grey matter is a flurry of thought, good exercise for the brain.

Didn't the Gilbert co. make the erector sets .......one of my favorites.

Now what the heck is this ...."The cockeroach that ate cincinatti" ............Your kidding! .... right

Last edited by donnyman; 12-16-2014 at 05:34 AM. Reason: addition
Old 12-16-2014, 06:57 AM
AMA 74894

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OMG.. Spike Jones, the Harmonicats and DOCTOR DEMENTO!!!!! Holy cow those are a couple names I thought I'd forgotten

how about the 'King Biscuit Flower Hour.... '

perhaps I'm not the only one who remembers starting airplanes using one of THESE (not my photo)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	EvereadyDrycell.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	2055524  
The following users liked this post:
Believer (01-25-2021)
Old 12-16-2014, 07:03 AM
donnyman

Your not , I used flashlight batts. also.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:18 AM
Charlie P.

I remember starting my free-flight and control line glow-fuel engines with one of those big 1.5v dry cells.

I had to do some surfing but this is the crystal radio like mine. Remco!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	remco.JPG
Views:	451
Size:	288.1 KB
ID:	2055527  
Old 12-16-2014, 08:52 AM
donnyman

Charlie

You had the high dollar version mine was and open box with a exposed crystal you probed with a stylist.

King bisquit flower?.....................What the

Last edited by donnyman; 12-16-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:28 AM
FlyerInOKC

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

It's not Christmas until I hear the Spike Jones rendition of "All I want For Christmas is my Two Front Teeth" and Art Mooney and his Orchestra's version "I ain't Getting Ntttin for Christmas"!
Old 12-16-2014, 09:34 AM
Greybeard1

Christmas! Bah! Humbug!

Rich.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:17 AM
FlyerInOKC

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Well we know who is getting coal and a hickory switch this year!
Old 12-16-2014, 10:20 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
It's not Christmas until I hear the Spike Jones rendition of "All I want For Christmas is my Two Front Teeth" and Art Mooney and his Orchestra's version "I ain't Getting Nuttin for Christmas"!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFY5jBeQvSo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfWOlTAWfMM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.