Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 09:08 PM
greatlakesgunny
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see what looks like a McCoy and jetex engines that ran on those little pellets that no one in Galion, ohio ever had in stock. I figure about half my childhood was spent waiting for glue to dry and picking up spent 22 brass to sell for scrap to buy more glue.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:55 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

The Peacemaker is also on outerzone. http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1633

It was extremely popular in the UK in the Sixties. Was it less well-known in the States?
Old 12-22-2014, 07:18 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by BrightGarden
Thanks to all who have added their stories, this IS one of the best threads going - anywhere.
Not sure why I am not getting email notifications every time someone adds, only once every couple of pages or so - I have to stop by more on my own.

May I interest you in considering the Bob Morse Cessna UC-78 - from the Sky King TV series?

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=2016

I am not sure why this plane has not been covered more - those plans are from 1964.
There should be a few places to modernize, I would think.

I have printed out plans bought the engines for this, but like you am taking an intermediate step - the twin version of Great Planes Super Sportster by James Feldman, Jan 1985 RCM. I'm thinking that if at least a couple of us get going on a plane we can finish faster -

Cheers,
Peter G.
Well I just added another plan set to my pile....................I need help!
Old 12-22-2014, 07:36 AM
Greybeard1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
Well I just added another plan set to my pile....................I need help!
With you having posted a pic of your plans, if you think you're gonna live long enough to do them all, yes, you need help.

Rich
Old 12-22-2014, 07:58 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BrightGarden
Thanks to all who have added their stories, this IS one of the best threads going - anywhere.
Not sure why I am not getting email notifications every time someone adds, only once every couple of pages or so - I have to stop by more on my own.

May I interest you in considering the Bob Morse Cessna UC-78 - from the Sky King TV series?

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=2016

I am not sure why this plane has not been covered more - those plans are from 1964.
There should be a few places to modernize, I would think.

I have printed out plans bought the engines for this, but like you am taking an intermediate step - the twin version of Great Planes Super Sportster by James Feldman, Jan 1985 RCM. I'm thinking that if at least a couple of us get going on a plane we can finish faster -

Cheers,
Peter G.
That is a cool looking design!

I sort of have my heart set on a WW2 German warbird though. Either an ME 410, or a JU 88. I attend a lot of warbird events and so I will be building something military. Most of these German designs were taildraggers, so that is why my practice plane will be set up that way as well.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:21 AM
Greybeard1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Added to my "hope I live long enough" list. Thanks. Cool vintage Cessna always welcome.

Rich.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:47 AM
donnyman

Hey guys I can't seem to get a thing accomplished for reading your stories. Fantastic! I feel a bond to each and everyone of you though we have not met. Keep them coming, it is so nice!

Twin engine birds... I have a few in various stages of build, Here is my most complicated one in design and built up stage. for me it is a ongoing project that is worked on as time permits there is a story about the carboard mock up I have two others a cessna 310 and a duelist, a deceased friend built........... Real nice! Had to edit to get the pictures right
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	me and f14_edited.JPG
Views:	546
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	2057014   Click image for larger version

Name:	cardboard f-14 002.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	774.3 KB
ID:	2057015  

Last edited by donnyman; 12-22-2014 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:55 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Hey guys I can't seem to get a thing accomplished for reading your stories. Fantastic! I feel a bond to each and everyone of you though we have not met. Keep them coming, it is so nice!
You and me both Donny!
Old 12-22-2014, 11:46 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
The Peacemaker is also on outerzone. http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1633 It was extremely popular in the UK in the Sixties. Was it less well-known in the States?
It was before my time, but in the mid 1960's, a lot of kits from the 1950's were still popular. I don't recall ever seeing the Peacemaker. I think Aldrich modified it slightly with rounded tips all around to distinguish it from the Top Flite Flite Streaks that he designed. The Peacemaker is a nice size, larger and with more wing area than the Flite Streak Jr., which would make it more adept to the .19 McCoy Red Heads, K&B Green Heads, Enyas, Vecos, and etc.

I think I saw at times Aeromodeller magazine in book stores in the 1980's and 1990's along with MAN, RCM and Flying Models. Back in the 1960's I don't recall ever seeing European kits being advertised in catalogs such as America's Hobby Center. May be they were there, just doesn't ring any bells. Given the highly competitive nature of US made kits in the 1960's, I'd think after shipping and importation duties that European kits wouldn't have much of a chance for a foothold. Hobby Lobby advertised European kits in their catalogs in the 1990's. I guess by then they were considered competitive and had a sufficient demand for them as alternatives to the American offerings.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:02 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
TEither an ME 410, or a JU 88. I attend a lot of warbird events and so I will be building something military.
I'd go with the Ju88 as it was in every theatre for most of the war, but both are sharp designs.

Name:	ju88-d.gif
Views:	494
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	2056996   Click image for larger version

Name:	me410.gif
Views:	506
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	2056997  
Old 12-22-2014, 12:22 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

I don't think that the Peacemaker was ever kitted. If it was, I never saw one at the time. Everyone I ever saw was built from an Aeromodeller plan. Apparently there was another Peacemaker, more or less the same but with a proper fuselage instead of the profile fuselage which was a feature of all of the Peacemakers that I ever saw. Never saw one of those either.

My perception is that Americans were flying larger Thunderbirds and Noblers powered by Fox or McCoy 35s while we were flying Peacemakers and their like powered by diesel engines of only half the size.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:25 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by Charlie P.
I'd go with the Ju88 as it was in every theatre for most of the war, but both are sharp designs.

I have a set of plans for the ME 410, which is really the one I want to build, but it is a little small, and not very scale. I need to find a better set of plans. I will want it in the 80" plus wingspan range, as I want to use 2 DLE 20cc engines. Plus, that is a good size for me.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:36 PM
vertical grimmace

That Peacemaker looks to be a direct relative of the Flite Streak. That style of plane was important to CL combat, as they were the predecessors of the "Slow" event/class. The Flite streaks flew so good at the time, relative to other designs, that a rule was put in to that class, essentially eliminating them from the event. The 5" dimension from leading edge, to the thrust washer was too long for the Flite Streak. Naturally, the event evolved quickly, and the planes were not "Slow"!

I wonder, the .15 size class engine has always been popular in the UK. Why is that? THe old combat designs are all Diesel .15's, and even today, FAI combat is flown with the .15. In fact, most of the combat in the US now has moved to these smaller, lighter .15 sized planes, just so the equipment will be compatible for FAI participation.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:19 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Greybeard1
With you having posted a pic of your plans, if you think you're gonna live long enough to do them all, yes, you need help.

Rich
No I haven't any delusion Of living long enough to even build some of them, but I do enjoy spreading them on the work bench and gawkin at em, modifying this and that, Design,bulid modify, planning, an redrawing to my spec's is the world I enjoy the most The flying has become secondary and unnecessary and I do little of it lately.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:26 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
I don't think that the Peacemaker was ever kitted. If it was, I never saw one at the time. Everyone I ever saw was built from an Aeromodeller plan. Apparently there was another Peacemaker, more or less the same but with a proper fuselage instead of the profile fuselage which was a feature of all of the Peacemakers that I ever saw. Never saw one of those either.

My perception is that Americans were flying larger Thunderbirds and Noblers powered by Fox or McCoy 35s while we were flying Peacemakers and their like powered by diesel engines of only half the size.
Is this the plane you are refering to?

Name:	Peacemaker.jpg
Views:	666
Size:	2.46 MB
ID:	2057031  
Old 12-22-2014, 02:46 PM
vertical grimmace

That Leading edge design sure is goofy! I would have to change that.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:03 PM
I-fly-any-and-all

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a built and in need of restoration, peacemaker about 7 or 8 years ago given to me but mine was a top flite kit with an ok 29 or 35 on it, had glow plug and twin stacks, red anodized prop drive.
nice plane, hd intentions of converting to rc, but I think I tossed it out after I pulled motor....
Old 12-22-2014, 03:05 PM
GallopingGhostler

That Leading edge design sure is goofy! I would have to change that.
It may seem goofy, but it makes perfect sense. It is much lighter than a solid balsa one and is sufficiently strong if properly constructed. Perhaps that including the thicker airfoil section made it a sensation when it was featured in Aeromodeller.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:15 PM
Aquila1954

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello All;
I am 60; started flying r/c sailplanes and gliders in or around 1977 thru 1989. Then stopped because I got into computer. Coming back to the hobby this spring. I only a sailplane and glider pilot. I started out with a standard class Airtronics Aquila and a 2 Gentle Ladies.
I have also a Aquila Grande that needs to be finished and a Electric Spectra. I tried control-line, that was a disaster. Got dizzy and fallen down. Could not handle that. Built a FF glider back in the late 60's, Covered with tissue paper and "Dope", in the garage. Needed plenty of fresh air to breath using that stuff. lol.
Starting this January going to buy the 2 meter sig riser and the riser 100 to build this Winter.
Nice to read all of this.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:45 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
It may seem goofy, but it makes perfect sense. It is much lighter than a solid balsa one and is sufficiently strong if properly constructed. Perhaps that including the thicker airfoil section made it a sensation when it was featured in Aeromodeller.

It is just not a good idea to have any facet or lack of smoothness in front of the high point of an airfoil, on a combat design. You lose turning radius as the stall will occur sooner. Obviously this is something that was realized later.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:54 PM
FireBee
My Feedback: (34)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread has brought back some great memories and some cool airplanes we had. I went and found my little trophy, saved for many years. I was sophomore in high school when I learned to fly my first trainer: Falcon 56 Mark II, with an O.S. 35.

Thanks to all the great guys and my instructor, who helped me at Sky Corral RC club in Pueblo Co. What a great hobby!

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	2057102  
Old 12-22-2014, 07:54 PM
donnyman

Aquill1954
Firebee

Welcome, It pleases me to hear from so many sharing their memories. You will probably find someone here that has similar memories Like my son got me back into the hobby with my old falcon 56 as his first r/c bird there were several 56's afterward for he and I.

Firebee I like your trophy! Good idea.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:48 PM
GallopingGhostler

It is just not a good idea to have any facet or lack of smoothness in front of the high point of an airfoil, on a combat design. You lose turning radius as the stall will occur sooner. Obviously this is something that was realized later.
Oh, I kind of gathered that one sanded this to contour with the airfoil, so end result was a parabolic leading edge similar to a solid balsa one. I suppose one could leave it squared off, but then it just wouldn't look good. The latest Ringmasters for vintage flying have a built up leading edge for lighter weight, but when covered have the same dimensional appearance as the solid balsa.

Perhaps I missed something, but that is what I saw when I looked at the reduced plan view.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:10 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Yes that's the model. I think that the the popularity of 15 powered models in Europe is explained by the FAI ruling that a 15 was the biggest engine allowed in many events. Peacemakers flew perfectly adequately on 15s but many fitted a 19 for general sports flying. Furthermore, many European engines of that time were diesels and diesels much larger than a 15 or 19 are not very effective.

When used as a combat model the fuselage was the model's achilles heel. It would eventually snap off at the trailing edge. Flying wings then dominated combat events.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:14 AM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
Oh, I kind of gathered that one sanded this to contour with the airfoil, so end result was a parabolic leading edge similar to a solid balsa one. I suppose one could leave it squared off, but then it just wouldn't look good. The latest Ringmasters for vintage flying have a built up leading edge for lighter weight, but when covered have the same dimensional appearance as the solid balsa.

Perhaps I missed something, but that is what I saw when I looked at the reduced plan view.
I am sure it is designed to be blended and rounded, care would have to be taken for it to not have a bump or something. Not to mention you would have covering sag, between the ribs, in front of the high point. Of course later on we were all using foam wings, for the most part which would have eliminated any drop in performance.

I think the little design quirks are what make all of this interesting. I am fascinated with design philosophy as it explains how we have evolved to where we are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.