Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 06:45 AM
jazzyal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I began with Joe Ott and Comet rubber band models. First power plane was Lou Andrews Trixter with an Ohlsson 60. that crashed the first flight. I recently restored another Trixter for my son and granddaughters with a McCoy 35 Red Head. later I began free flight with a Berkley Buccaneer B Special powered with an Ohlsson 23. that sail away into the desert in Arizona in 1948. I took the plans a couple of years ago and converted to electric and RC. I also did the same with another Berkley kit, that was their first RC that came out in 1949 called the Super Brigadeer that is built like a tank. I rebuilt it from plans last summer and it flies great on RC with a ..15 electric.

I still have a few of the ignition engines including the original Ohlesson 60 and a replacement 23. Now at 79 continue to build more old timers and powered gliders
Old 12-23-2014, 07:54 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

Been modelling for over 50 years. Started with control line when about 5/6 and got my first RC at 11. An Esquire with single channel escapement rudder power. It was a beautiful airplane covered in red silk and dope. Hand launched and glide to landing. Had to trim the airplane to climb with power, Fox .15 and glide after the motor quit. Transmitter was a monster with 3 large batteries...2x 67.5v and one 1.5 volt. It cost a fortune to replace them. Lost not long after I got it as it flew away. It was found about a year later in a corn field and returned. It was replaced with a sleeker version of the Esquire and I flew it for a long time. Through the years I have had countless model....sport, scale, warbird and now mostly jets. I had one of the 3 or 4 ducted fan jets that flew at the 2nd Southwest Fan Fly, now the Southwest Jet Rally in the earlty 80s. It was a scratch built jet from AMA plans with a Kress fan unit. It even had canards. I progressed to a Sterner P-80 and T-33 then to Byron jets. I had several of them. Moved on the BVM jets and flew many of them. My first turbine was a Phil Avonds F-104 which was an outstanding jet. I have had several Avonds jets through out the years and have found his jets to be easy to build and great flyers. Now as everyone else I'm flying Chinese ARFS. My latest adventure is a FB Large Dolphin which should be here mid Jan. Will be powered with a Rhino SP, and have a Cortex gyro and smoke. Model airplanes have allowed me to meet many great guys and be the main basis for many of my friendships throughout the years...the Austin Gang, Mike Youngling, Rob Puetz to name a few. I met Mike Lesher at the 4th Southwest Jet Rally in Ft Worth and few continue to be great friend to this date. This is a great hobby filled with great people. I can honestly say that modelling saved my life. Doing a maintenance test flight on a T-43 (B-737) we experienced severe elevator flutter. Having witnessed it in models and learning how to recover (if you could) helped the 2 guys I was flying with correct cause before the tail of the jet came off. 2 young AF pilots that had only heard of flutter in the classroom. It was so violent that it jerked the yoke out of the hands of the guy who was flying. Scared the crap out of all of us but we survived, found the cause, got it fixed and eventually returned the airplane to service. Man what a great hobby!

Last edited by tp777fo; 12-23-2014 at 07:58 AM.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:06 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

I don't understand the concern over the leading edge of the Peacemaker, It is light and strong. many models are built with just a small dowel at the very tip of the leading edge and the covering sags...like the sky tiger. When the edge was modified no appreciable performance was obtained. The plans seem to be quite good as to how everything is done and the plane was a sucessful design............So what's to change??
Old 12-23-2014, 08:25 AM
donnyman

Jazzyal

Those Berkely designs are great birds. with r/c They become smooth flyers. I have collected several Berkely plans from my youth and the internet and just enjoy looking at them, Things of beauty.

Check out the outerzone.com for a bunch of old time plans They download for free.....................Enjoy... Got any pictures you would care to share with us??
Old 12-23-2014, 09:10 AM
donnyman

tp777fo

I remenber much of what you said, Especially the southwest fan fly. that period of time here in the Austin area was a flurry of activity that has yet to be matched. We had a fantastic hobbyshop here at the time that seemed to me to be the epitome of what a hobbyshop should be. it smelled like clear dope because it had a work shop that everyone hung out in, and was always busy. Ducted fan was king and many pursued it. Our club field was alive with activity. I think I have video's of one of the fan fly's held at what was Bergatrom A.F.B Now a international airport. Ted Forienze brought his ducted fan playboy bunny F-14 here and I got hooked, I have a Avond F-14 under way with modifications for turbines.

I can only imagine what it felt like to be in a plane with any kind of flutter much less survive it...You were in good hands!
Old 12-23-2014, 01:15 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope I am not to late to tell all of you young modelers

Mary Christmas

Cheers Bob T
AMA13377 Corsair Brotherhood # 6
Old 12-23-2014, 01:46 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Ho! Ho! Ho!

May all your Christmas' be the best!
Attached Images  
Old 12-24-2014, 05:43 AM
FlyerInOKC

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Ho! Ho! Ho!

May all your Christmas' be the best!

Back at you and to all you reprobates here enjoy this years coal supply!
Old 12-24-2014, 06:53 AM
donnyman

Happy Holidays to one and all.

DONNY
Old 12-24-2014, 02:53 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Reading these posts takes me back. I'm 77 and flew my first glow powered plane in 1950. It was a Scientific Lil Devil with an OK Cub .049 with a wood 6-3 prop. I had flown gliders before that, but I don't count those. Even further back, the oldest thing I can remember is sitting on the floor-this was before WW II-and watching my dad built a rubber powered model. I guess I got glue & dope on my little hands which addicted me for life. I was going to say Ambroid, but I remember dad cutting up pieces of celluloid and dissolving them in acetone for glue.

My first "big" engine was a 4-bolt Fox .35. I had it on a DeBolt All American Sr. stunt plane. I bashed it, then went to Ringmasters and a Sterling Yak-9. I finally put the repaired All American wings on the Yak profile. Man, would it turn a corner with that thick wing. I flew CL through high school, college, USAF pilot training and 3 assignments, including a Southeast Asia tour in F-4E's. I had looked at RC, but the reed stuff didn't appeal to me. I wanted "real" controls instead of toggle switches. After my SEA tour I bought a radio, a Kraft 4-channel single stick. I've been through glow, 2-stroke & 4-stroke, big ST & Moki glows, gassers and now that I'm slowing down, electrics. I published a lot of articles and 1 book and had a couple of columns-10 years with R/C Report magazine. Dang, I've had fun and still am.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:19 AM
donnyman

Welcome ED!

You have 4 years on me but we share many similarities with models and the military. I was at Ubon Thailand (1966) and put engines in those F-4's ....................It's CHRISTmas morning and the wife has awoken gotta go!

Last edited by donnyman; 12-27-2014 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:35 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

If it's stories you want how about this one I wrote some time ago for a magazine. I had built the model for the 2012 Annual Fly-In at the Greenacres Club in the English Midlands. The theme for the event that year was "Vintage Models" and in the UK a vintage model is any model which first flew before 31st December 1965. The Super 60 is a late model. In 1959 it replaced the Junior 6o which is referred to in the text, it may be built as a three or four channel model. The one referred to in this article was a RET model.

Gentlemen,

It is my sad duty to report that my much loved Keil Kraft Super Sixty complete with period Merco 35 engine is Missing In Action and must be presumed dead.

What happened was this. I had had several successful sessions with the model over the last week or so and having carried out a few minor alterations, I took the model with the Senior Telemaster to the flying field. I had planned to meet a club colleague called Alan who is a superb modeller but a very nervous pilot. He is learning to fly on an electric powered Junior 60. I had helped him to trim out his model over the previous weekend and had planned to take the Super 60, two transmitters and a buddy lead with me to give him a go on the Super 60 to raise his confidence.

Having got to the flying field I found that Alan had already flown and damaged his Junior 60. I said I'd give him a go on the buddy lead with the Super 60. Another pilot, Richard Golding, a retired electronics engineer, expressed an interest in having a go too, so we all crowded round the Best Mate stand while I started the engine. At this stage we found out that I'd left the Skysport at home so no chance of a buddy, however, having got the engine to start I placed the model on the runway, gave the controls a final check, opened the throttle and off went the model climbing steadily. It turned to the left. I put in right rudder. Nothing happened but the model continued to climb in fairly tight left-hand circles betraying its free flight heritage and the fact that it was fitted with an old PPM receiver. I shouted that I had no control and the good old Super Sixty continued to climb. Alan, Richard and another chap who was there, did all that they could to help me. This involved fetching a Mode 1 Skysport transmitter from the club's training locker and removing the battery and crystal from my set to see whether any control could be re-established. By now I'd abandoned the transmitter and left them to it. I was concentrating on watching the model; the transmitter wasn't controlling anything anyway! It continued to climb then the engine appeared to cut or go to tick over, I thought I could still just about hear it but can't be certain. When I last saw it, it was in a flat spiral dive as if the rudder had jammed. It disappeared behind a large tree at the edge of a wood about a thousand yards away from the launch point.

Had they managed to get some kind of a signal just before it disappeared? Who knows? We discovered a broken wire in the 6X transmitter when we removed the back later. I had always regarded the 6X as pretty new but when I pause to think about it, I bought it when my friend Frank Wall was still alive and he died in 2004!

Two search parties looked for the model in the wood and surrounding fields but there was no sign of it. I expect it's deep in the wood in amongst the undergrowth-covered ponds. It disappeared near a cross roads. I'll print a picture of it and offer a reward to the finder and ask the RAF to fly one of their helicopter training flights over the area to see whether they can see it.

Farewell Super Sixty, I only flew you a few times but you were a delight to fly and died like a gentleman!

Small time
But in that small
Most greatly lived this
Star of England.
I had a beer and a Chinese take-away to cheer myself up.

Happy Landings

David Davis

Super 60 MIA. Part 2.

Having reached home I emailed the local RAF squadron which trains helicopter pilots. They promised to send a helicopter to the area where the model was last seen, first thing the following Monday morning.

By 09.20 on the Monday morning I received an email with a map and map reference and went to pick up the model. The tailplane had broken and some glue joints had failed in the wing but the model is repairable.

I gave the helicopter crew two bottles of champagne!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Super 60 Merco 35 up.JPG
Views:	729
Size:	350.8 KB
ID:	2058022   Click image for larger version

Name:	Damaged Siper Sixty (2).JPG
Views:	603
Size:	342.6 KB
ID:	2058023   Click image for larger version

Name:	Super 60 repaired 1.JPG
Views:	581
Size:	355.7 KB
ID:	2058024  

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 12-27-2014 at 04:45 AM.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:56 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great story and glad you got your plane back. Something like that had happened to a lot of us at one club/field. It was all farm land around us and when a plane went down it was usually in a field of corn. The crop duster pilot would fly out for a search then hover over the crash site for us.
I wanted to ask you if you have ever built any of the planes designed by Gordon Whitehead. He is an outstanding designer of scale planes in the UK. His Krier Kraft was a fun build but it tended to go into a stall when flown too slow, something I discovered very quickly before I could used the plane to compete with.
I have his book on hand and use it often when I'm building.
Gene
Old 12-27-2014, 11:41 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Fantastic story, Telemaster Sales UK and kudos to the military pilots who kindly informed you of its location. That Keil Kraft Super 60 is reminiscent of the RC cabins of the 1950's, really nicely done. Did you modify the original 1961 Rudder Only or built from later plans?

I've been eyeing the slightly smaller DeBolt Equalizer of roughly the same era, late 1950's. It has symmetrical airfoil wings and for its time was advanced. With our austere windy conditions in Clovis, NM, US at our 4,300 feet (1311 m) elevation, something like that would have good wind penetration but still fly very vintage like with perhaps an Enya .35 TV engine.

Name:	349.jpg
Views:	653
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	2058129   Click image for larger version

Name:	349.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	2058131  
Old 12-27-2014, 11:10 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Galloping Ghostler, my Super Sixty was a bit of a hybrid. The fuselage was built off the s/c 1959 plan while the rest was built off a current Ben Buckle plan which I bought at one of the shows. The original dihedral was 4 inches under each wing tip, Ben Buckle's version was reduced to 2, mine somehow ended up with two and a half!

A couple of years ago I bought a Penn Models Super Sixty with a spare wing for £60 about ($93 US) on eBay. It was fitted fitted with a Magnum 52. The seller, an Indian gentleman, lived in a large town called Wolverhampton about 30 miles from here and Penn Models is a model shop located in one of the suburbs. Years ago long before the days of ARTFs, Penn Models would make you a Super Sixty. Every one I've seen has had Penn Models' own design aileron wing and has been finished in the same colour scheme of Cub Yellow body with red wings. So now I have the option of flying either model three or four channel. Pictures attached.

Gray Beard, I have heard of Gordon Whitehead, indeed I think I may even have met him once, in a model shop in Devon; I also own his book. His small scale models are quite famous but less common on British flying fields than they used to be in these ARTF days. There used to be a superb modeller at my club who built Whitehead's Fokker DVII and finished it in Udet colours, hand-painted lozenges and all. Powered by an Enya 46 fourstroke it flew superbly. The owner had to leave the club as he had been promoted at work and had to move house.

I am building Roy Scott's 1/6th scale BE2e at present but I'm also in the process of selling my house and retiring to rural France, so rather than load lots of delicate uncovered wings into the pantechnicon, I've put the project on hold. I chose to build the model when I found out that a pilot with the same name as mine was one of Manfred von Richtofen's victims. I hope I get it flying before 29th April 2017! I'm also repairing some other models to make them more easily transportable.

I've got a couple of funny stories which I'll reserve for the beginning of January and February to lighten the winter blues.

Name:	Super 60 Squadron 2.JPG
Views:	697
Size:	351.5 KB
ID:	2058326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Penn Super 60.JPG
Views:	679
Size:	349.1 KB
ID:	2058327  
Old 12-28-2014, 11:24 AM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow!
I've been flying models since '64 when I started flying controline with my Dad when I was 5. I started on a Ringmaster Jr. with a Hope .19 on a U-Reely. I built the Comet 3 in 1 kit with a glider, rubber stick model and a bigger ribbed wing rubber model, and the same year built a PDQ Flying Clown. I also received a Cox PT-19 which I used to fly in the yard, even when we moved to California. I flew Stunt, Scale and Speed mainly. I got my AMA license in 1966 and my first contest I flew Rat Race, Stunt, and Balloon Bust. I flew Stunt through the mid 90's and then started competing in full scale aerobatics, but came back to Stunt in the mid 2000's and then stared flying R/C in 2008. I started with a Hobby People polyhedral winged power glider with a 2 channel Ace Commander radio. After a few hundred flights a Bridi RCM Trainer, then a Tower Kaos ARF. I started flying Pattern with the Kaos in AMA and Classic Pattern Association contests. Now I fly an Osiris in AMA and a Tiporare in CPA.
Luckily I remember lots of the things you guys have brought up, Fireball XL-5, Sky King (I always thought he had a Twin Beech and a Twin Bonanza because that is what my Dad flew!), Guillows and Comet kits, crappy Testors and Ambroid glue, but I really liked the Navy Nats the best. My Dad took me from 1966 to 1972, exciting always at the ages I was. The last years we flew on the newest airplanes too, Dad flew for TWA and in '71 we flew to Chicago on the brand new 747. In first class.
Chris...

Name:	Chris and Jerry 67 Nats.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	2058425   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chris at 72 Nats.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	2059034  

Last edited by stuntflyr; 12-30-2014 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:34 AM
4ptroll
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RCKen
Well I just barely qualify for this group as I just turned 50 two days ago. I've been flying RC since 1996, however I've been dealing with building models and flying control line since I was 8 years old. So I've got quite a bit of experience on all aspects of the hobby.
Ken
RC Ken..... How about chiming in on the KY Jets forum and answering to all the guys who prepaid for your DVD and never received them from KY jets 2014.!!!!!
Old 12-30-2014, 07:12 AM
FlyerInOKC

Maybe their Alzheimer's kicked in or they thought you were so old you wouldn't live to see it come in the mail?
Old 12-30-2014, 07:35 AM
rt3232

No one has mentioned what they got from santa, I hope you all were not bad boys, I got an Extra 300 to replace my 23+ year old Dragon lady hope it flies as good as the Dragon Lady does, But it will have to wait till I can get past the repair stage on my Corsair and weeks

Cheers every one Happy New Year Bob T
Old 12-30-2014, 08:07 AM
FlyerInOKC

I got a Fourmost Miter Sander from my son. It's just what I wanted!
Old 12-30-2014, 08:56 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I acquired an original Goldberg Sky Tiger kit, and als a very tough to find 1/5th scale flying spinner for my TA 152 project. Coming from the UK, I can say the exchange rate right now is terrible! Attached is a pic of the plane it will be used on, still getting finished up.

Name:	DSC01978.JPG
Views:	734
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	2058860   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01983.JPG
Views:	623
Size:	402.5 KB
ID:	2058861   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01959.JPG
Views:	751
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	2058862  
Old 12-30-2014, 09:12 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

My 31 year old 32 in a week daughter who can't pay her light bill renewed my subscription to RCU
Ain't that grate
Old 12-30-2014, 09:23 AM
FlyerInOKC

Good looking airplane!
Old 12-30-2014, 09:57 AM
donnyman

Happy holidays!

Been lurking, that 152 looks real nice! I have the sky tiger kit also, it was a gift I received a long time ago, and made copies. It is a fun bird and easy build.

Hound dog....... You are not alone with the kid not paying the light bill, problem is it was in my name and I caught all the flak.

The weather here is gray, chilly and gloomy, I am taking full advantage and getting my mustang glassed. I have about eight planes in the build que and I promised myself To finish what is on the bench before tackling another. Very hard for me to do but I'm trying, Got a burning urge to build a turbine powered Mig 15,and a ww-2 japanese Shinden. a cessna 310 , fw-190, c-47 b-25, f7f tigercat, f4, .................................................I gotta get hold of myself, I feel a liver quiver comin on.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!
Old 12-30-2014, 12:21 PM
rt3232

V/G Nice looking spinner, Oh and the bird it goes on don't look to shabby
cheers Bob T

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.