Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 04:35 PM
Greybeard1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard of people being sucked into cumulus, thought maybe I'd heard of what you described. If so, probably an 18 meter glass import, because if I wanted my plane on the ground, there wasn't anything going to lift it up. Spoilers full out, bank left, full right rudder, your plane will come down. Heard that some of the "long wingy thingy's" can't take that though, they don't like flying sideways. Schweizer 1-26e was what I had. Considered one the german pilots wished would disappear, so we had to fly what they had to. MY answer to them was always, "Misery loves company." The 1-26 had a pretty gentle stall, had to work if you wanted to spin, but the higher aspect ratio wings aren't forgiving at all, one mistake and your plane is done. Around here though, thermals aren't that great, your $40 tow fee is liable to turn into a two dollar per minute sled ride most days. There are exceptions, I was never lucky enough to be on the schedule on those days.

Rich.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:44 PM
Hircflyer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They charge for a tow? We have a club winch.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:59 PM
Greybeard1

Piper Pawnee. Usually to 3k release point. $40 for a tow to 3k the last I knew, might have gone up. Got out of that for other reasons, plus it was getting almost more than I could afford. Roughly $200 every time I went to the gliderport. Bankruptcy by engineless aircraft, not for me.

Rich.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:53 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gaerybeard aka Rich

Way back in the early 50's after I had my single engine permit, I had a chance to go to Tory Pines in CA got a ride in one of those long wing 2 place birds, launch was from a hi speed winch to about 800' then a hard left to ride the lift from the 300' cliff's back and forth with a few do/dads along the way much fun, but I regress.

Cheers bob t
Old 12-31-2014, 08:18 PM
Greybeard1

800 feet around here means you're on the downwind leg. I had two flights around an hour, one early in the morning, trying to milk 20 fpm lift, the other maybe mid afternoon, might have been about the same. Almost forty minutes to hit 4800 feet from losing down to 1800 after the 3k release. Turn tighter to stay in it, but speed has to go up to hold the bank, altitude is all you have to turn into that speed, no gain. Too close to the cloud, had to break out, never did find enough lift to stay up before we were back on the ground. Had I been soloed then, and in my own plane, would have been okay, but $35 each for an hour of the lady in the back seat and the plane rental, not much instruction and a lot of money per hour. Trust me, glow fuel is a lot cheaper.

Rich.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:19 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Happy New Year Gentlemen!

Re Senior Telemasters (STMs) they are basically a big trainer but they fly with great presence. They fly best with a 90 fourstoke in my opinion and their only "fault" is that they float on and on on landing approach.

i am planning to retire to rural France where the houses (and wine!) are cheaper and the weather's warmer. On 4th December I arranged to have a friend video me flying four models. These were my "Barn Door Wing " Senior Telemaster, a Keil Kraft Super 60, a WOT 4 and a Foam-E WOT 4, pictures attached. The Barn Door Wing STM has the earlier German four-spar wing with inset, so-called "barn door" ailerons similar to those fitted to a full-sized Piper Cub as opposed to the Joe Bridi wing which has two spars and strip ailerons and which features in modern kits. My model also has flaps. The idea was that he would edit the film, put it on a disc and I'd send it to my French friends as a Christmas present. It was a perishing cold day and I planned to fly each model for only about four or five minutes after which I would land and move on to the next. I flew the STM first; it was fitted with a Laser 90 which I had just overhauled. It was a windless day, I took off, flew a few figures of eight for the camera and tried to land. Would it come down? "Would it heck as like," as they say in Lancashire! Even with full flaps deployed it would not come down until I knocked back the throttle trim to achieve a really slow tick over! As a result of a 20 minute video, 9 minutes were of me trying to land the STM!

Happy Landings for 2015 gentlemen and let us be grateful that, old as we may be, we were not born 120 years ago.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	BDW Senior Telemaster in flight.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	2059409   Click image for larger version

Name:	STM.JPG
Views:	592
Size:	343.2 KB
ID:	2059410   Click image for larger version

Name:	Penn Models Super Sixty.JPG
Views:	544
Size:	334.0 KB
ID:	2059411   Click image for larger version

Name:	WOT 4.JPG
Views:	566
Size:	348.6 KB
ID:	2059412   Click image for larger version

Name:	Foamy with skis 1.JPG
Views:	565
Size:	340.9 KB
ID:	2059413  
Old 01-01-2015, 04:56 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Hircflyer
Can I get in I will be 75 in Feb been flying RC since 1972
Hello and welcome!
you meet all qualifcations but you must tell a war story of your past modeling experiences....................................... .... PLEASE.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:11 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Greybeard1
800 feet around here means you're on the downwind leg. I had two flights around an hour, one early in the morning, trying to milk 20 fpm lift, the other maybe mid afternoon, might have been about the same. Almost forty minutes to hit 4800 feet from losing down to 1800 after the 3k release. Turn tighter to stay in it, but speed has to go up to hold the bank, altitude is all you have to turn into that speed, no gain. Too close to the cloud, had to break out, never did find enough lift to stay up before we were back on the ground. Had I been soloed then, and in my own plane, would have been okay, but $35 each for an hour of the lady in the back seat and the plane rental, not much instruction and a lot of money per hour. Trust me, glow fuel is a lot cheaper.

Rich.
Well I never got to fly a glider but the ones I did see flew for quite some time. mostly towed by cars. I visited the Georgetown TX. airport and watched a car tow and flight that lasted for more than a hour and almost convinced me to get a glider, and reading of your experience reminds me all the gliding I watched was in warmer climate and abundant thermals. car tows were $5 bucks then. I watced the guy fold the wings and park his glider in his garage. only once did I see a short flight it was a two seater after launch it circled twice and had to land.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:17 AM
donnyman

Telemaster

nice pic's but that last one kinda made me queasy, .....my allergics kicked in caused by the white stuff on the ground which I try to avoid.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:04 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Originally Posted by donnyman
Telemaster

That last one kinda made me queasy, .....my allergics kicked in caused by the white stuff on the ground which I try to avoid.
Well you must be sick in bed to day as our weather guy's are telling us 2/3's of TX will be covered in it to day We are to get an inch of the white stuff but up hear in fly over land it's no big deal

Cheers Bob T
AMA13377 Corsair Brotherhood # 6
Old 01-01-2015, 07:15 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

This one should make him feel better, mind you it's not the weather for shorts and tee shirts today in the UK.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Foam-E WOT 4 (1).JPG
Views:	561
Size:	347.3 KB
ID:	2059468  
Old 01-01-2015, 07:50 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by rt3232
Hound dog

Just read your sig ( every one of these things we fly comes with a number, and when the RC Gods call that number, it's going in a garbage bag)

I think maybe I have been good, but not to good, as it has been about 3 seasons sense I have had to put one in the bag, but I have been doing my share of repairs.

The wife still can't figure out why I am laughing at some of these post's

Cheers Bob t and Happy New Year
rt3232 Happy new year Right back at ya.
That's what I tell all my students so they won't get discouraged because it's no if but when one crashes.
We all know the guys that crash all the time and some of these guys have been doing it for 30 years or more.
My Arizona club has 3 or 4 that crash almost every time they fly ... go figure.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:01 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

New Year and as one gets older, maybe it's a time for reflection. By chance I received an email this morning forwarded by a friend. He and I are members of one local club but he is also the secretary of another club. Last autumn a member of the other club died; I did not know the man. He left behind a considerable amount of aeromodelling paraphernalia. Some club members got together and made up a comprehensive list. It amounts to 462 items and that's counting a box of at least 50 plans as one item. The list is being circulated to club members to give them first choice, then it's going to be opened up to other enthusiasts before the remainder goes on eBay.

To give you some idea there are 43 unstarted kits, 37 complete airframes mostly with engines and radios, 39 engines, 7 transmitters, well you get my drift. The unstarted kits include; a 120" Avro Lancaster, an 88" span de Havilland Comet, two Mick Reeves Camels in 1/3 and 1/4 scales and a Proctor Curtiss Jennie. The airframes include a Flair Bristol Fighter with OS 70FS, a Flair 1/4 scale Tiger Moth with OS FS 120, a smaller Sopwith Triplane powered by an RCV SP 60, a BE2e and a Mick Reeves 80 inch Spitfire. The engines include a Laser 120, several Saito petrol fourstrokes, an OS 60FS with open valve gear and three RCV engines.

Now I never knew this man, I don't know whether he was married or single, rich or poor but my point is this. Many of us are hoarders and bargain hunters. I bought two useable engines, a Meteor 60 and an OS 48 Surpass for Ł28 last month so I'm as bad as anyone else. I own 30 model aeroplane engines, only five of which are currently installed in serviceable airframes. We all buy kits thinking that we'll build them one day, dreaming about which colour schemes we'll choose. I have five unstarted kits ranging from a Fokker DVII which I bought at an auction in 1995 to a DB 1/4 scale SE5 which I bought a few years later. I also have an incomlete model of a Flying Flea which my best friend was building before he died. He died in 2002. Furthermore I have another five models which are either stalled projects or awaiting repair.

We have only a limited amount of time in this life, at 66 I have out-lived my father by four years and none of us know our date with the Grim Reaper but perhaps, at the New Year, we ought to decide which models we really would like to build, which ones we've got time for and then have a bit of a clear out!

I really fancy his BE2 mind!
Old 01-01-2015, 08:18 AM
donnyman

Yes gentle people it is cold and wet here but none of that cotton looking stuff

And just to let all of you know how to avoid crashes........................................... ...DON"T FLY!.................or text while driving1
Old 01-01-2015, 09:02 AM
zippome

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm only halfway thru my 49th year, but I'm gonna crash this party anyway! (i'm such the rebel!)
After the sleek streaks and jetfires I started out learning to fly u-control. Started building with the sterling beginner series profile 1/2 a kits. Between me, my brother and our neighborhood buddies we flew just about everything cox built. A brief foray into u/c combat with some combat kittens, then on to r/c with my dad. Lil tri squire, Carl Goldberg Ranger 42, and the Midwest Cardinal arf got us into the air.
The Cardinal and the Rangers both flew on a Enya .09 and a Kraft series 73 3 channel with a "Brick" servo. They flew great, but we did lose one once when my brother and I tried to fly on a day with too much wind. Pointed it back at us and it just kept getting smaller as it couldn't make any head way into the wind. We found it a couple years later when we went looking for it out on our minibikes. Nothing was salvageable, but "At least we found it Dad!"
Old 01-01-2015, 09:18 AM
donnyman

Telemaster

I was directly involved in the disposal of a gentlemans model collection, it took us two weeks to gather all his stuff from several buildings on his estate. and two solids years of selling and we still had so much stuff left we put it in several boxes and auctioned them off at well below retail value. we gave his widow better than 17,000 dollars. we even have a lot of the stuff that didn't sell which she said to do what we wanted with it. I promised myself to never do that again. it is more work than I care to be involved with though one should assist a friends widow. Trying to decrease ones holdings isn't as easy as it sounds I have been at it for quite some time now, Guess I am more materialistic than I care to admit so my son will have worry about it when I am gone.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:30 AM
StraightArrow
My Feedback: (10)

If you are a fellow oldtimer maybe you can help with a question. I'm looking for an original plan of a Phaeton which I understand has a verticle rudder henge, unlike the Phaeton 2 that Balsa USA has. Know anything about it?
Old 01-01-2015, 09:42 AM
donnyman

Zippome

49.5 or so years is close enough, Welcome we like stories of past events and yours was interesting!
Old 01-01-2015, 09:51 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by StraightArrow
If you are a fellow oldtimer maybe you can help with a question. I'm looking for an original plan of a Phaeton which I understand has a verticle rudder henge, unlike the Phaeton 2 that Balsa USA has. Know anything about it?
The name rings a bell but my memory ain't what it use to be,have you checked the OUTERZONE web site? lotsa free plans.

maybe someone else here can help!
Old 01-01-2015, 12:00 PM
Greybeard1

Telemaster

nice pic's but that last one kinda made me queasy, .....my allergics kicked in caused by the white stuff on the ground which I try to avoid.
That's supposed to come this weekend, but on the plus side, a couple of days warm up, then back into the teens for highs. It doesn't bother me, I was born here, it's a necessary part of life. And as long as I can stand in a warm house looking out the window, it's pretty.

Rich.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:07 PM
Greybeard1

Originally Posted by StraightArrow
That's probably the older version of the Phaeton 2. Just checked their site, they don't have the older plan listed, just the Phaeton 2 and Phaeton 90.

Rich.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:17 PM
Red Raider
My Feedback: (86)

Ok, being half way through my 60th year, I guess I meet the minimum qualification for membership. I've been flying RC since '85, but flew control line and built plastics starting back in the early '60's. Probably one thing that all of us have in common is an early and profound interest in everything that flies. The first airshow that I have any memory of was in 1958. Down in the Permian Basin of Texas, it was close to Webb AFB home of one of the last B-17 groups. I remember my grandfather telling me "here come the big boys", as a large group of B-17s would fly over doing low level bombing practice. I'd run for the house screaming like the little kid I was.

Fast forward to 1993. Skipping the details, my father was desparatly I'll with cancer. We had only begun to reconnect after his long and distinguished career as an Army Green Beret. My brother and I had spent less than 30 days together his entire life, and really didn't even know each other. Our father passed away, and John and his family were at my house in the day or 2 before the funeral. I told him that when we finished with all the funeral arrangements I wanted to show him what I did out in my shop. He asked me what it was and I told him that I fly RC. When he started asking me if I flew with OS or Supertigre, I was blown away. Skipping more details that I may write about in future posts, he and I have been flying together ever since. 31 years later, we live less than a block apart in the same little town, share each other's shop, tools and building materials. We've built 6-8 matching tiger 2s, 2 dynaflyte decathlons, and last year he designed a giant size Tiger 2. We built 2 of them together including custom made canopies. (He even built the large vacuum former that we needed)

To say that RC is an important part of my life is a bit of an understatement. It brought my family together, satisfies my interest in aviation, and provides a great escape from the stresses of life.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:18 PM
Greybeard1

Well I never got to fly a glider but the ones I did see flew for quite some time. mostly towed by cars. I visited the Georgetown TX. airport and watched a car tow and flight that lasted for more than a hour and almost convinced me to get a glider, and reading of your experience reminds me all the gliding I watched was in warmer climate and abundant thermals. car tows were $5 bucks then. I watced the guy fold the wings and park his glider in his garage. only once did I see a short flight it was a two seater after launch it circled twice and had to land.
A glider is looking for the same thing the free flighters are, air going up. If you got it, you stay up. If you don't, sled ride. My first few flights, a lot was lost doing stalls, which once you learn how, will cost maybe thirty to fifty feet in altitude. First time, kinda scary, the nose going up high, then it gets deafeningly quiet. Don't have a lot of time to pull it out of the dive, they gain speed fast.

Rich.
Old 01-01-2015, 01:59 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Telemaster, My all time favorite plane to fly was the Premier Balsa Tiger moth from the UK. When I moved here from the country to the big city I sold that plane and I'm still kicking myself. If you ever run across that kit buy it!! Of course I had a small problem when building it, I had no clue what language the instructions were written in.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:17 PM
M75771

I'll be 69 next month; played with U/C until 1960 then built a Fox .09 powered Gimlet with an Ace Commander Rx / Babcock Mk II compound escapement. Never successfully flew, but still have it and will restore it as an electric. I was a member of Delaware RC when their field was on Limestone Road. The Club was full of great members, Carl Cantera, Tony Wilford, Graham Lomax, Kern Boyer, Bill Northrop, Ralph Fidance, etc. Every visit to the field was a learning experience. I saw many different radio systems flown successfully: single channel with SN, compound and cascade escapements, galloping ghost (Mighty Midget motors), many Ace kits (various Kraft receivers, Marcy tone, TR 4.5 Rx, Good TTPW), Bramco 10 channel reeds, Space Control, Dee Bee Quadraplex. The annual fall Delaware R/C "Get-Togethers" brought many of the best names in R/C on the East Coast to the field. I flew until late 1964 when I left for college (Va Tech). Over those years I flew single channel/ escapement planes (Mambo, Mini-Mambo, Square Hare, DeBolt Yankee (also still have).
Moved to NJ after college, flew Min-X galloping ghost for a year and then graduated to digital prop. After having problems with Min-X and Logictrol, bought a Pro-Line. Mostly flew various Pattern types, the last a Kaos.
Got transferred to Richmond, CA in '74 and quit flying within a year; the closest field was 40 miles away so started buying and restoring cars.
Transferred to NC in '80 and finally started flying again (with the Kaos I built in NJ) in '88. The club I joined was pattern oriented, so began flying contests in '89. Finally got to the Masters Class but quit after the '99 season, just burnt out and didn't want to learn the new pattern. Financed my pattern addiction by rebuilding / modifying YS engines; my records show over 150 engines. For numerous reasons I quit flying again in 2000, but friends have me in the air again and I am having fun. I've been flying an electric foam 3D plane and my now 18 year old Prophesy. I know a 1.40 powered Prophesy is totally passé for pattern competition now, but that plane flys so good and I have been practicing the 2015 intermediate pattern, so who knows?

Mike McCormick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.