Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 09:11 AM
popargr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what about the Debolt Live Wire series of planes. Also the Berkeley Bootstraps
Old 01-11-2015, 09:21 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hossfly
Right On Greybeard as for any RC engine with a carb. I forgot to be specific that I was talking about CL and FF engines. Carb engines are a different ball game as most carbs work under a different theme as compared to the CL/FF engine venturi tube. I still like CL and still have some and still do some, plus thinking to do more.
Thanks to you guys that bring in the Talcum Powder as filler. You are right as I did use some of the baby powder way back and that will not allow dope finish to last for any real time period of time
( Back then most models never lasted long enough to worry about it ) I learned that way way back, but about to have a 79th birthday, Feb. 19, and things can be certainly different.
The preferred needle assembly for CL use from what I have seen over the last 20 years is the Super tigre. Not sure how hard they are to find now. Another one that works very well though is an O.S. .10-.15 needle from the RC carb. Then set it up as a remote, mounted to a bracket of some sort. It is nice to not have the spray bar going all the way across the open venturi. Of course, if your venturi is the correct diameter, it will have no problems drawing fuel. We set up our combat ships this way as well when running pacifier/bladder tanks. That is pretty much the standard set up today.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:33 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

I was there Chanute AFB from Nov 13 '64 to May 7 or 8 '65 in the 3349th Training Squadron GAM77A - AGM28B Hound Dog missile school. Got an article 15 from SSgt Peters for failure to prepare or some thing like that.

HOUND DOG
I left chanute in 1960 on my way to moody A.F.B. Valdosta, Georgia Jet SPEC. loved the job......but had to deal with too many idiots like Peters.

Last edited by donnyman; 01-11-2015 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:39 AM
HighPlains

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by popargr
what about the Debolt Live Wire series of planes. Also the Berkeley Bootstraps
You can find plans to many of the deBolt designs, I've got his 1952 Livewire Trainer framed up ready to cover, and four or five plans for other designs. The AMA also sells many old plans, and many can be found on eBay.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:44 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
Glow fuel is just crazy expensive now. $18 a gallon for 10%.
That is cheap. Last time I bought in Amarillo, TX all they had was 15% and it was $25 a gallon. Then added Castor, which was another $10.

Originally Posted by HighPlains
You can find plans to many of the deBolt designs, I've got his 1952 Livewire Trainer framed up ready to cover, and four or five plans for other designs. The AMA also sells many old plans, and many can be found on eBay.
I've got the 1953 1/2-A Livewire Kitten. Printed out the DeBolt 56" Equalizer from Outerzone. It was advanced for its time especially with the primitive radios available at the time.

Last edited by GallopingGhostler; 01-11-2015 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:53 AM
vertical grimmace

Not sure why it costs so much. FAI, no nitro fuel would be very cheap to mix. I do not use glow anymore anyway hardly. Must be the shipping.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:11 PM
HighPlains

I mix my own fuel. Hazmat charges got fuel prices up to ridiculous levels. However there is no hazmat for oil ( I use Klotz 80/20 Techniplate), buy the methanol locally from car racing guys that buy it by the drum for less than $4/gallon, and get nitro from drag racing outlets. It also allows me to know exactly what in my tank.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:30 PM
GallopingGhostler

Out of curiosity I did a little 'net research on hazmat fees, perhaps not inclusive, but what gather it helps to cover the additional cost of various additional transport costs in report, paperwork, filings, additional carrier insurance required, and to a lesser extent added mileage required for detoured paths dictated by various jurisdiction, etc.; in short, the additional cost to do business in transporting items identified by the government as hazardous.

I read recently a truck transporting fireworks in Michigan, cargo caught fire in a large accident pile up on the highway. Stuff like that won't help in reducing hazmat costs, IMO.

Regardless, best I can say is I'll continue to buy fuel as needed, until it becomes excessively expensive to make not worth doing.
Old 01-11-2015, 02:02 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
Out of curiosity I did a little 'net research on hazmat fees, perhaps not inclusive, but what gather it helps to cover the additional cost of various additional transport costs in report, paperwork, filings, additional carrier insurance required, and to a lesser extent added mileage required for detoured paths dictated by various jurisdiction, etc.; in short, the additional cost to do business in transporting items identified by the government as hazardous.

I read recently a truck transporting fireworks in Michigan, cargo caught fire in a large accident pile up on the highway. Stuff like that won't help in reducing hazmat costs, IMO.

Regardless, best I can say is I'll continue to buy fuel as needed, until it becomes excessively expensive to make not worth doing.
It seems the price jumped big time during the China olympics. Then never really came down. I use gasoline mostly, but I may look into mixing my own. As I do have a few glow planes that I fly regularly. Nothing over .60 sized though gets glow anymore, for me.
Old 01-11-2015, 02:10 PM
rajincajun

Had a Holland hornet my teens also, had it on a Goldberg freeflight, Viking if I remember right. I see them occasionally on ebay
Old 01-12-2015, 07:38 AM
donnyman

I just erased a rant! about why the cost of things increases when the rules are applied. But this isn't the place for that so I will shut up!

A search is in place here for small quantities of the chemicals needed to mix our own fuel. but mark my words if mixing fuel becomes the norm you will see a price increase of the ingredients.

Powermaster fuel used to be made here, but as i understand it they got burned for not haveing some kind of paperwork to ship fuel across country. some one else has that business now in another part of the country, and the price has gone up!
Old 01-12-2015, 09:24 AM
AMA 74894

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wildcat fuels are still mixed here in the USA... Byron Fuels bought Wildcat in 2014, and is still mixing fuel in Iowa
Old 01-12-2015, 09:29 AM
GallopingGhostler

A couple diehard CL fliers are converting to electric and selling their glow engines. Inasmuch as I love glow, may be headed that direction in future as costs continue to climb and battery, electric component prices continue to drop.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:33 AM
BrightGarden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
I just erased a rant! about why the cost of things increases when the rules are applied. But this isn't the place for that so I will shut up!

A search is in place here for small quantities of the chemicals needed to mix our own fuel. but mark my words if mixing fuel becomes the norm you will see a price increase of the ingredients.

Powermaster fuel used to be made here, but as i understand it they got burned for not haveing some kind of paperwork to ship fuel across country. some one else has that business now in another part of the country, and the price has gone up!
My car mechanic races an old school top fuel dragster. I asked him about getting some nitro and methanol - he was totally into it, buys it in barrels. The gent could pass for Sean Penn, and wears a chain around his neck with a small piston on it - not sure what engine it came from. He is so into all internal combustion engines he was really generous offering to help me out with the fuel. Small quantities - safety first. He told me he can mix exactly what I need with hydrometer.

So, you just have to find a racer that uses the stuff. My understanding is that much of the model engine fuel comes from Texas. In NY State 10% nitro fuel is $25-$29/gallon. Oh, well. Most of that is hazmat handling fees. I think when I buy Sig fuel the hazmat fees really jump when you hit 1 gallon, so I bought a few quarts.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:20 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Power Master comes up on sale all the time on the west coast at Hobby People. I have gotten it as low as $13. a can to the normal $15. When I was mixing my own for a very short time I got all the needed items fro Service center speed shop. At one point I even found nitro on the shelf at a local hobby shop. I always used the castor oil from SIG.
FAI fuel is just 80% alcohol and 20% oil and is really easy to mix. Works great in high compression engines.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:21 PM
HighPlains

I used to correspond with Don Nix who founded Power Master fuels. He retired after a couple decades, and sold the business to one of his long time employees. They ran it for a few years, then transferred it to one of their children. It promptly was run into the ground, as it takes hard work to run a fuel business. Anyway, long story short, it skipped a long at the bottom until recently when it was acquired by VP Fuels. VP is very well known as a supplier of racing fuels for all types of high performance racing applications with distribution at outlets across America.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:27 PM
donnyman

Brightgarden

The price of fuel is about the same here in texas, I try to use no nitro fuel and that is $18+ if you can find it. Looks like the fuel and model dope have gone the same way, just gone because of some rule or another.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:38 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by HighPlains
I used to correspond with Don Nix who founded Power Master fuels. He retired after a couple decades, and sold the business to one of his long time employees. They ran it for a few years, then transferred it to one of their children. It promptly was run into the ground, as it takes hard work to run a fuel business. Anyway, long story short, it skipped a long at the bottom until recently when it was acquired by VP Fuels. VP is very well known as a supplier of racing fuels for all types of high performance racing applications with distribution at outlets across America.
Yes the factory was just down the road from me and we were supplied fuel on a regular basis at very reasonable prices but that's all history now!
Old 01-12-2015, 01:51 PM
I-fly-any-and-all

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brightgarden

The price of fuel is about the same here in texas, I try to use no nitro fuel and that is $18+ if you can find it. Looks like the fuel and model dope have gone the same way, just gone because of some rule or another.
I was just using model dope back in august to put silk span on the wings of my royal stagger wing. some of us use it.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:51 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
A couple diehard CL fliers are converting to electric and selling their glow engines. Inasmuch as I love glow, may be headed that direction in future as costs continue to climb and battery, electric component prices continue to drop.
Thats right! I have a 3d bird that's electric which is a whole new world to me, I got it from a friend that won it in a raffle. It's a ARF but I must say I've wanted one for quite some time it's a 71' AJ Slick from 3d Hobbyshop....real nice!

As for controline...that will be a stressful situation to go electric I love the sound of a 2 stroker on the end of my lines.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:29 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by I-fly-any-and-all
I was just using model dope back in august to put silk span on the wings of my royal stagger wing. some of us use it.
I use dope and silkspan too when I can find it. we get 3oz bottles here. and that is rather inconvienant on my 1/4 scale birds.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:31 PM
GallopingGhostler

As for controline...that will be a stressful situation to go electric I love the sound of a 2 stroker on the end of my lines.
I do too. There is nothing like the sound of a Testors McCoy .35 Red Head in running 4 stroke rich jumping to 2 stroke in loops returning to 4 stroke .... or an Enya .15 or .19 going from rich 2 stroke to fast 2 stroke doing the same. Only thing is reality is slowly upon us. They've come up with special timing modules you connect to the ESCs. It has a programmable delay, to allow you to set up your plane and walk out to the handle, pick it up, start flying without a stooge. Adjust power settings on the electric motor, and adjust flight duration, so you can land without exhausting and damaging the LiPo battery.

It does away with the messy slobber of glow. Electrics have come a long way. Also they are quieter, so some may be able to fly where others cannot.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:33 PM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by ARUP; 01-30-2015 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:46 PM
vertical grimmace

This is the dope I use. Still somewhat reasonable. I use the stuff all the time! http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...90butyrate.php

While you are there, look for the light weight Dacron. It is one of the best covering materials you can find, and it is super cheap. Comes on 60" rolls by the yard.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:57 PM
Boboeing

Guillows , Comet, Monogram Speedie Bilt, Jim Walker Jr Firebaby with OK Cub .049, Scientific Golden Hawk with Cox .049, Berkley, Veco, Sterling Ring Master with McCoy .29,.... 1956 or 1957 Nats at Willow Grove ( don't remember which) Berkley Aerotrol gas tube receiver with escapement on rudder and Citizenship transmitter.....................( fast forward).......................................... just finished Aeroworks Yak 54.
Only nine weeks and four days till spring...but who's counting!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.