Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 04:35 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am and trying to get my repair project finished, have quit looking over my shoulder at my age just looking fwd to see all of the new stuff

Cheers Bob T
Old 01-13-2015, 04:47 AM
whittonm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started about 1967 with Guillows balsa models, then U control 1/2A, then radio control. My first radio was an MRC Futaba 3 channel and it cost about $180 without rechargeable batteries. My greatest challenge was a Falcon 56 powered by an OS Max .30 which crashed on its second flight.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:35 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by ARUP
Get some dope in larger containers from SIG or Brodak and go to www.easybuiltmodels.com to get great prices on silkspan. I'm going to cover my 1/4 scale Franklin 'Eaglet' tail feathers in silk. The rest of the bird will get Koverall.
I use what is convient for me my last large project needed a fabric finishso I used coverite on the wings and fuse. I got the coverite at a swap meet for very little now I have tons of it. It goes on with a hot iron and shrinks just fine. the paint?..............Rustoleum! brushed on.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	b dog paint wings on 003.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	778.3 KB
ID:	2063521   Click image for larger version

Name:	bdog & me.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	2.38 MB
ID:	2063522  
Old 01-13-2015, 05:49 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by whittonm
I started about 1967 with Guillows balsa models, then U control 1/2A, then radio control. My first radio was an MRC Futaba 3 channel and it cost about $180 without rechargeable batteries. My greatest challenge was a Falcon 56 powered by an OS Max .30 which crashed on its second flight.
My son got started with the same set up in the seventies, check out firefox on page 9 or so i recently was given a plan for the senior falcon. fine plane!
Old 01-13-2015, 05:53 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
I do too. There is nothing like the sound of a Testors McCoy .35 Red Head in running 4 stroke rich jumping to 2 stroke in loops returning to 4 stroke .... or an Enya .15 or .19 going from rich 2 stroke to fast 2 stroke doing the same. Only thing is reality is slowly upon us. They've come up with special timing modules you connect to the ESCs. It has a programmable delay, to allow you to set up your plane and walk out to the handle, pick it up, start flying without a stooge. Adjust power settings on the electric motor, and adjust flight duration, so you can land without exhausting and damaging the LiPo battery.

It does away with the messy slobber of glow. Electrics have come a long way. Also they are quieter, so some may be able to fly where others cannot.
You have summed it up! sooner or later we may all do just that and more quietly too!
Old 01-13-2015, 06:04 AM
FlyerInOKC

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
I use what is convient for me my last large project needed a fabric finishso I used coverite on the wings and fuse. I got the coverite at a swap meet for very little now I have tons of it. It goes on with a hot iron and shrinks just fine. the paint?..............Rustoleum! brushed on.
Donny, I'm eating my heart out, great looking plane and I'll bet she must fly like a dream!

Mike
Old 01-13-2015, 08:09 AM
donnyman

The Bulldog was my last project for someone else. He passed away and left it to me. It is nice but it is not my kinda bird and I have no will to fly it so I haven't. I have a LOT of other projects that keep me busy big projects and flying is low on my priority listing at this time.

G/Ghostler
This bird (Bulldog) is one I am considering converting to electric. I have the motor and a Williams brothers plastic engine that looks real good in that humongous cowl so............
Now this needs finishing.. It has been sitting around a long time and it's in the way of several others.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	av day arca #2 001.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	2.40 MB
ID:	2063541  
Old 01-13-2015, 09:40 AM
trainermaster80
My Feedback: (5)

Default trainermaster80

well guy's i have been reading all of your post. i am 86 and i too have 30 nib engines as well as 25 good used engines and 5 kits i would like to sell
my first engine was a bullet. i liked to mount t inverted because you could pu a drop of fuel in the carb intake & smartly flip the prop after turning it ofer by hand & getting the ign bump. then i flip & it started right up. getting that bump before you flip saves getting bit by the prop. a rule i have followed all these years. works for me. so get the bump after every flip if the engine has not started & save those fingers. works for me & my friends.
i find that most of my modeling friends have passed away. i founded 4 model clubs and have built & flown just about all the model airplane types. currently fly a sig senior cadet & a sig 4 star 120 with a super tiger 2500.
and ahaa! those were the days. remember oh! charlie can you come out and play & fly airplanes?hang in thar guys keep em flying!
frankie
Old 01-13-2015, 10:33 AM
sonito
My Feedback: (84)

Grew up in the Panama Canal Zone still remember dad building with ambroid silk and dope super regent and escapements my first bird was an Aeronca with a Pixie radio then went to the Kraft brick. Futaba was a joke and when a fellow members flew away into the jungles everyone stopped flying to go help find the plane canteens machetes and lots of bug repellent. some of the old sayings "aint got it" "super regent going up" scratch built planes were the norm and long hours in the shop building radio components (Heathkit) and designing ways to get a flight without hunting for the plane. Im 53 and been at this since before I can remember and still at it
Old 01-14-2015, 06:23 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by sonito
Grew up in the Panama Canal Zone still remember dad building with ambroid silk and dope super regent and escapements my first bird was an Aeronca with a Pixie radio then went to the Kraft brick. Futaba was a joke and when a fellow members flew away into the jungles everyone stopped flying to go help find the plane canteens machetes and lots of bug repellent. some of the old sayings "aint got it" "super regent going up" scratch built planes were the norm and long hours in the shop building radio components (Heathkit) and designing ways to get a flight without hunting for the plane. Im 53 and been at this since before I can remember and still at it
Hello!
You reminded me of a contest here in Austin TX. a fellow from another town had a huge piper cub, big yellow thing, 10+ foot wing, very nice. he lost it the trees several yards from us. it took two real aircraft fly overs and any number of tv equipted model flights to locate the area. the ground searchers needed air survailence to get close enough to locate the bird up in the trees it was not easily seen though yellow. it was recoverd with just a minimum of damage after about two weeks of looking. so I can only imagine what you had to do.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:37 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by trainermaster80
well guy's i have been reading all of your post. i am 86 and i too have 30 nib engines as well as 25 good used engines and 5 kits i would like to sell
my first engine was a bullet. i liked to mount t inverted because you could pu a drop of fuel in the carb intake & smartly flip the prop after turning it ofer by hand & getting the ign bump. then i flip & it started right up. getting that bump before you flip saves getting bit by the prop. a rule i have followed all these years. works for me. so get the bump after every flip if the engine has not started & save those fingers. works for me & my friends.
i find that most of my modeling friends have passed away. i founded 4 model clubs and have built & flown just about all the model airplane types. currently fly a sig senior cadet & a sig 4 star 120 with a super tiger 2500.
and ahaa! those were the days. remember oh! charlie can you come out and play & fly airplanes?hang in thar guys keep em flying!
frankie
Trainermaster80

Hello Frankie! I too prefer the inverted engine but mostly for the improved appearance of the model. I haven't used the ignition bump technique in quite some time but I will try remember to use it again in the future it worked real good in my controline flying days.

The loss of modeling friends is always a bummer but is a fact we all have to face I have fond memories of them.

would you have any pictures of your older engines and planes? it is always fun to see the classics.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:46 AM
donnyman

Sir can this thread be moved to a more prominent location out from behind the beginners thread?

Thank you!

Last edited by donnyman; 01-14-2015 at 07:00 AM. Reason: move thread/repeated post
Old 01-14-2015, 08:38 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
Moderator Sir can this thread be moved to a more prominent location out from behind the beginners thread? Thank you!
If moved, best place would be the forum, "Club House", IMO.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:01 AM
donnyman

If moved, best place would be the forum, "Club House", IMO.
I suppose so, I am not sure of the best location but hidden as it is may cause others to miss it so whatever as long as it is seen.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:35 PM
GallopingGhostler

Admin has visit and commented, too. Probably best just to leave as is. Now thinking about it, I rarely ever frequent Club House. Besides, many of the replies here were about early on or "beginner" experiences, IYKWIM.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:46 PM
FlyerInOKC

Well were all beginners at the start the time frame just varies a bit!
Old 01-14-2015, 01:51 PM
tmaucher

Oh sorry can't post here yet I don't turn fifty till Saturday. You old goats.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:02 PM
FlyerInOKC

Careful boys we're being infiltrated by a Swede!
Old 01-14-2015, 02:24 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tmaucher
Oh sorry can't post here yet I don't turn fifty till Saturday. You old goats.
Who U calling an "OLD GOAT" Goat's fine but "OLD" is for the other guy.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:45 PM
GallopingGhostler

Mmmmh, we're all young at heart. They speak of 2nd childhood; I haven't finished my first!
Old 01-14-2015, 02:54 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by tmaucher
oh sorry can't post here yet i don't turn fifty till saturday. You old goats.
who you callin a goat

Come on in we need more goats
Old 01-14-2015, 02:56 PM
donnyman

Admin has visit and commented, too. Probably best just to leave as is. Now thinking about it, I rarely ever frequent Club House. Besides, many of the replies here were about early on or "beginner" experiences, IYKWIM.
OK!
Old 01-14-2015, 03:11 PM
tunakuts3d

if it ain't broke , don't fix it
Old 01-14-2015, 04:55 PM
Greybeard1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Careful boys we're being infiltrated by a Swede!
Already been infiltrated by a Kraut, can't get much worse that that.

And I know from personal experience, you can't hurt a Kraut by hitting him in the head, All i did was get a little POed.

Rich.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:56 PM
Greybeard1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tunakuts3d
if it ain't broke , don't fix it
Truer words were never ignored.

Rich.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.