Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 07:23 PM
Greybeard1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I refuse to be drawn and quartered to send to four different countries!

Rich.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:42 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by joebahl
Yep I am older than dirt (59) and have been building and flying planes since i was in my teens . I am Native American Indian and freezing my ars off now here in the midwest, hope to go west or south soon. joe
I had a Navajo friend that worked in the same office in Saint Michaels, AZ, who was already in his mid 60's and still running marathons. Lot of good folk in Gallup, NM, really enjoyed living there. They done spoiled me, life since hasn't been the same! Had to leave so I could continue putting on the feed bag and nuzzle up to the slop shoot. If it weren't for this thing called work!

If you're a little rusty, they'll have you pointing with your lips in no time. You'll need to get a good Stetson. Also they'll slow you down, there's only two types of music, country and western. And if you play those songs backwards, you'll get your house back, your wife back, your dog back, your truck back, ....
Old 01-16-2015, 10:09 PM
Greybeard1

Must be something wrong with me. Got some of you fellows by a few years, I'm 73, Born in Racine St Mary's, now living thirty miles or so to the west of there. (Make that 27) Lived in the state of Confus, I mean California for seven years, ships home port was Mayport Fla. while I was in the Navy. But looking to move somewhere else? All the jerks and idiots I couldn't stand when I was still working moved other places, I'm gonna stay right here! My rule, no further south than the Wisconsin Illinois state line, no further in any other direction than I can walk and not get my feet wet. Always had poor circulation in my hands and feet, they get cold and numb too easily if I'm out in the cold, but the beauty of being retired, I don't have to go out in it.

Rich.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:35 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
BTW, what does WOT stand for (or should I ask)?
I assume it stands for "Wide Open Throttle" but I'm not really sure. The models are extremely popular in the UK but don't seem to have caught on in the USA. I suppose you have so may excellent sports models over there that they don't get a look in. With a cooking 40 the WOT 4 makes an excellent second model once you can fly an aileron trainer. With a ballraced 61, they're mental.

"WOT" is featured in all of the names of Chris Foss Designs i/c powered models. Of the builders' kits, you may choose from the Unowot trainer, the WOT 4 high-winged sports model, the Acrowot low-winged sports model and the Wots-Wot aerobatic biplane. There is also an Extra-Wot which is an enlarged Acrowot.

All of these kits except the Unowot are available in ARTF form and the WOT 4 ARTF is available in 3 sizes.

We held a Chris Foss Day Competition at our club last summer. I finished second. That's me, third from the left in the dark blue tee shirt and yellow shorts. There is a picture of the participants here. Unfortunately I don't know much about computers and when I googled "Chris Foss Day" I got a lot of spurious information. Having clicked on the link below, click on the third picture in the third row and you'll see us all.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Ch...IlpeM%253Bhttp.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 01-16-2015 at 11:40 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:19 AM
Hossfly

I have been looking at Arizona ,Texas and some south ,i have 4 more years till she retires so stuck here for now. joe
Come to Texas. Lots of toy-airplane activity some 10 months of the year. If you like fishing, hunting etc. that is here, along with numerous other sports. Whole bunch of toy-airplane clubs, many with club-owned facilities. Check out some of the clubs. IMO best area is in the SE area. www.jetero.com
Old 01-17-2015, 05:28 AM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
I assume it stands for "Wide Open Throttle" but I'm not really sure. The models are extremely popular in the UK but don't seem to have caught on in the USA. I suppose you have so may excellent sports models over there that they don't get a look in. With a cooking 40 the WOT 4 makes an excellent second model once you can fly an aileron trainer. With a ballraced 61, they're mental.
Okay, that definition makes sense. WOT 4 is an Ugly Stik style of aircraft. There's been many variants of the Ugly in the US through various manufacturers including the Far East. Perhaps the first and I think it predated the Ugly was a smaller A size model, the RCM Royal Coachman. Probably the reason why WOT 4 here never caught on is due to the proliferation of Uglies and variants here in US. It wasn't until Outerzone that I got to see many of the fine models from UK, as well as other parts of Eastern Europe. Frog and KeilKraft, plans from Aeromodeller had many lovely models, rivaling that of Comet, Guillows, Berkeley, Top Flite, DeMECO, Goldberg and etc.

We held a Chris Foss Day Competition at our club last summer. I finished second. That's me, third from the left in the dark blue tee shirt and yellow shorts. There is a picture of the participants here. Unfortunately I don't know much about computers and when I googled "Chris Foss Day" I got a lot of spurious information. Having clicked on the link below, click on the third picture in the third row and you'll see us all. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Ch...IlpeM%253Bhttp.
Unfortunately, Google slants search results based on region and their perceived interests of the searcher. Scrolling through, there were very few aircraft, lots of SciFi, only group photos were a superhero SciFi costume convention and various other individual and a few couples that I gather had connections with Chris Foss.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:59 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Telemaster

I enjoyed the eye candy (pics) especially the sci-fi stuff, one of my favored type reading. Not sure if I saw what you were trying to show there is several Chris Foss pics.

OK I think I found it ....Had to go back three times.

Last edited by donnyman; 01-17-2015 at 06:42 AM.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:52 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

We used to have an airplane that was popular around here called a "Roadrunner". I believe that C&H ignitions used them as a test bed for engines and such, in fact I think he designed it. THis is the same for the old "Stiks". Being designed by Kraft for use as a test aircraft for radio systems.

THe Roadrunner was a shoulder wing Stick type plane as well, but it was of around 80", being a better size for the gas engines they were testing.

Last edited by vertical grimmace; 01-17-2015 at 07:58 AM.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:07 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Greybeard1
I refuse to be drawn and quartered to send to four different countries!

Rich.
I dont blame you and yes iam living the American dream:-) Hoss me and the gf will be out by you soon ,hope i spell this correct in Humble Texas . She lived there before while in the USAF and we are going to look and at few warm places soon to retire . Yes Hoss i know you guys out there enjoy our hobby as much as i have for 35 years :-) joe

Last edited by joebahl; 01-17-2015 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:47 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Gentlemen, I think that there are two Chris Fosses, one a graphic designer, the other a designer of model aircraft but I suppose that they might just be the same man! Chris started out designing gliders in the Sixties and his "Phase" series of gliders is still very popular. This is his website; http://www.chrisfoss.co.uk/.

The main difference between the Chris Foss's models and the Ugly Stiks and their derivatives, is that all of Chris's designs feature foam veneered wings. There is a plan showing a built-up wing, I sent one to a friend in Ohio who built the model, but I've never actually seen one in the balsawood in the UK. Of-course box-with-wing models have been around since the birth of model flight. Check out my Uproar, a 1958 design which won the UK Aerobatic Championship in that year.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Uproar.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	2064673  
Old 01-17-2015, 11:18 AM
joebahl

Gentlemen, I think that there are two Chris Fosses, one a graphic designer, the other a designer of model aircraft but I suppose that they might just be the same man! Chris started out designing gliders in the Sixties and his "Phase" series of gliders is still very popular. This is his website; http://www.chrisfoss.co.uk/.

The main difference between the Chris Foss's models and the Ugly Stiks and their derivatives, is that all of Chris's designs feature foam veneered wings. There is a plan showing a built-up wing, I sent one to a friend in Ohio who built the model, but I've never actually seen one in the balsawood in the UK. Of-course box-with-wing models have been around since the birth of model flight. Check out my Uproar, a 1958 design which won the UK Aerobatic Championship in that year.

I had the pleasure of meeting one desigher and great guy from the UK,Dereck Woodward . We met at a water funfly here in IL and he was flying a electrict bee on floats and flying it like a mad man.lol He passed away a year or so back but i still miss the short bundle of flying fun and think of him often :-) joe

Name:	IMG10001.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	2064676  
Old 01-17-2015, 02:54 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

iam 83 and still fly like iam 20
Old 01-17-2015, 04:19 PM
AllModesR/C

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I have been looking at Arizona ,Texas and some south ,i have 4 more years till she retires so stuck here for now. joe
Hey Joe, how have you been? What about Southern California?
Old 01-17-2015, 05:07 PM
GallopingGhostler

Of-course box-with-wing models have been around since the birth of model flight. Check out my Uproar, a 1958 design which won the UK Aerobatic Championship in that year.

Oh, okay, I think I found a plan to that:

Uproar by CH Olsen from Aeromodeller October 1958, 72in span
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=2220

I like it, it has a fully symmetrical wing, seems like it would have excellent wind penetration. 72-inches (1.8m) is a decent size, too, similar to Hal DeBolt's 56-inches (1.4m) Equalizer but larger. Would be an easy scratch build.

Name:	2220.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	2064761   Click image for larger version

Name:	2220.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	2064762  
Old 01-17-2015, 11:13 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

The actual wingspan of the Uproar is 65 inches. This plan has been advertised incorrectly as having 72" wingspan for years. I need to build a new starboard wing for mine. It's my next project.

Apropos of WOT 4s, a rival company, Flair, produced its own version, the Hooligan, which was nothing like as popular. I used to have one. It was the luckiest model I've ever owned. It always recovered from FM glitches and I once flew it into the upper branches of a tree where it bounced off in a knife edge! I pushed the throttle forward and the engine, a Red Irvine 46, responded. I succeeded in flying it back to a safe landing with the model trailing foliage from its undercarriage! I wish I'd never sold it now!

Picture of your humble servant, my Flair Hooligan, and the foliage attached. The trees are in the background.

Name:	Hooligan and Radio Queen 1.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	357.2 KB
ID:	2064831  

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 01-17-2015 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:21 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Attached a few more pictures of WOT 4s for you to admire.

Name:	WOT 4s (3).JPG
Views:	289
Size:	361.7 KB
ID:	2064832   Click image for larger version

Name:	WOT 4s (2).JPG
Views:	270
Size:	354.3 KB
ID:	2064833   Click image for larger version

Name:	WOT 4s (1).JPG
Views:	279
Size:	353.8 KB
ID:	2064834   Click image for larger version

Name:	WOT 4s.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	348.5 KB
ID:	2064835  
Old 01-18-2015, 07:28 AM
joebahl

I hunt free plans for another fun hobby besides build them and i have looked through some UK plan sites and there were alot of different desighns . The wot is a plane like the telemaster / sig Kadet SR here that has lasted a long time and the reason is they fly so well. joe
Old 01-19-2015, 02:24 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I had the pleasure of meeting one desigher and great guy from the UK,Dereck Woodward . We met at a water funfly here in IL and he was flying a electrict bee on floats and flying it like a mad man.lol He passed away a year or so back but i still miss the short bundle of flying fun and think of him often :-) joe
I met him once, in a model shop in North Devon just before he emigrated to the USA. At that stage I think he was working as a civilian on some RAF project. He had come into town on his bicycle and was wearing all the gear. He looked a pretty fit chap to me then. I was surprised to hear that he had died relatively young.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:48 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spent easter week (April) in Florida for a couple of years ... Hot Humid Bugs. In 2002 spent 2 1/2 months in Mesa AZ then the next 3 years 3 to 4 moths in ScottsDale sorta. 23 1/2 miles to the flying field then 3 years in Apache Junction 5 Miles to the field then back to Mesa for 6 months in 2010-11 now it 6 monthes here and 6 in Oconomowoc wi. Al yera round I head to one field or the others and U know it's great being retired. but as at most fields you ave to leave your feelings at home. Save up your wife's vacation and try tthe Phoenix area there are 5 or 6 good fields here but the Arizona modelers aviators has the best field. Lots of good fields around TUCSON too.

But you'll find out (If U haven't yet) it's has a lot to do with where your Gran Children reside. Good Luck what ever U do.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:01 AM
HoundDog

I dont blame you and yes iam living the American dream:-) Hoss me and the gf will be out by you soon ,hope i spell this correct in Humble Texas . She lived there before while in the USAF and we are going to look and at few warm places soon to retire . Yes Hoss i know you guys out there enjoy our hobby as much as i have for 35 years :-) joe
Man I hope U love High Temps and High Humidity ... Got a buddy who has in laws that live int the Woodlands 20 NE North of humble TX. He says there are 3 months that aren't too bad. But Like I said "A lot depends where the Gran Children reside"

I know it was "Hot as He[[" from 11 Sept at 2:30 am till 10 Nov 2 pm in 1964 in the San Antonio area. 3303 BMTS The Thundern Third. And of course TI SSgt Kelly. Never ever will forget that man.

Last edited by HoundDog; 01-19-2015 at 07:10 AM.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:55 AM
joebahl

I met him once, in a model shop in North Devon just before he emigrated to the USA. At that stage I think he was working as a civilian on some RAF project. He had come into town on his bicycle and was wearing all the gear. He looked a pretty fit chap to me then. I was surprised to hear that he had died relatively young.
Great guy and a true builder / desighner of rc planes. He is missed by many in forums here in the US . joe http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1986019 Hound Dog i have plenty of grandkids but they are getting to the point where they dont want to hang with my old ars .lol Sooo the way i look at it is i have taken good care of my kids and there kids for long enough and if any of them want to come and visit to keep warm with me and my misses during the winter they are welcome but iam tired of the snow and below 0 temps here . joe

Last edited by joebahl; 01-19-2015 at 08:13 AM.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:14 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Greybeard1
Must be something wrong with me. Got some of you fellows by a few years, I'm 73, Born in Racine St Mary's, now living thirty miles or so to the west of there. (Make that 27) Lived in the state of Confus, I mean California for seven years, ships home port was Mayport Fla. while I was in the Navy. But looking to move somewhere else? All the jerks and idiots I couldn't stand when I was still working moved other places, I'm gonna stay right here! My rule, no further south than the Wisconsin Illinois state line, no further in any other direction than I can walk and not get my feet wet. Always had poor circulation in my hands and feet, they get cold and numb too easily if I'm out in the cold, but the beauty of being retired, I don't have to go out in it.

Rich.
Rich:
The coldest is maybe low 50's here in Apache Junction mostly 60 in January then it' up to low 90's by April when I head back to Cooney. Do U fly at any of these places? I'm a member at PCB but fly mostly at Lake Land R/C.

Funny thing U can tell the Snow birds from the locals. Locals dressed in parkas hats ear muffs and gloves at 60 degrees. Snow birds are dress ed in shorts and sandals. At 73 U'd be right in the middle of the age spread. Of course that is if u would rather fly all winter than build or do both out here. Just a thought. A lot depends where the Gran children reside.

[TABLE]
[TR="bgcolor: #5D7B9D"]
[TD]Name [/TD]
[TD] Number [/TD]
[TD] Members [/TD]
[TD] Contact [/TD]
[TD] Info [/TD]
[TD] District [/TD]
[TD] *Intro Pilots [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="bgcolor: #F7F6F3"]
[TD] EAST TROY RC FLYERS
13.58 miles [/TD]
[TD] 4961 [/TD]
[TD] 14 [/TD]
[TD] GREGORY CHOLKA
Email Contact [/TD]
[TD] Phone: 262.378.4179
Visit Website
[/TD]
[TD] 7 [/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="bgcolor: White"]
[TD] SILVER EAGLES
Flying Site Details
15.34 miles [/TD]
[TD] 1029 [/TD]
[TD] 22 [/TD]
[TD] LEE BERGSTEDT
Email Contact [/TD]
[TD] Phone: 847-272-3631
Visit Website
[/TD]
[TD] 7 [/TD]
[TD] Yes [/TD]
[/TR]
[TD] BIG FOOT R/C FLYERS
Flying Site Details
17.91 miles [/TD]
[TD] 4527 [/TD]
[TD] 11 [/TD]
[TD] NEIL STEPHENS
Email Contact [/TD]
[TD] Phone: 262.325.0096
[/TD]
[TD] 7 [/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD] NORTHERN IL RC HELICOPTER ASSN
20.10 miles [/TD]
[TD] 2099 [/TD]
[TD] 20 [/TD]
[TD] CYNTHIA MCFARLANE
Email Contact [/TD]
[TD] Phone: 630-279-0463
Visit Website
[/TD]
[TD] 6 [/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD] PEBBLE CREEK FLYERS INC
21.01 miles [/TD]
[TD] 801 [/TD]
[TD] 89 [/TD]
[TD] JEFFREY VOSS
Email Contact [/TD]
[TD] Phone:
Visit Website
[/TD]
[TD] 7 [/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD] PORTERVILLE FLYERS
21.01 miles [/TD]
[TD] 1635 [/TD]
[TD] 20 [/TD]
[TD] MICHAEL PACIGA
Email Contact [/TD]
[TD] Phone: 262-679-2640
[/TD]
[TD] 7 [/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD] RACINE RC CLUB INC
Flying Site Details
21.06 miles [/TD]
[TD] 668 [/TD]
[TD] 68 [/TD]
[TD] TERRY WEBER
Email Contact [/TD]
[TD] Phone: 414-421-1279
Visit Website
[/TD]
[TD] 7 [/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD] LAKE COUNTY RADIO CONTROL CLUB - Email Club
Flying Site Details
21.14 miles [/TD]
[TD] 777 [/TD]
[TD] 68 [/TD]
[TD] LEONARD MARTIN
Email Contact [/TD]
[TD] Phone: 262.694.7338
Visit Website
[/TD]
[TD] 6 [/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD] BONG EAGLES
Flying Site Details
22.31 miles [/TD]
[TD] 2258 [/TD]
[TD] 27 [/TD]
[TD] JAMES GERSZEWSKI
Email Contact [/TD]
[TD] Phone: 262.786.3689
Visit Website
[/TD]
[TD] 7 [/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD] CHAIN O LAKES EAGLES
Flying Site Details
23.23 miles [/TD]
[TD] 2769 [/TD]
[TD] 53 [/TD]
[TD] MICHAEL SCHULZ
Email Contact [/TD]
[TD] Phone: 815-307-5594
Visit Website
[/TD]
[TD] 6 [/TD]
[TD] Yes [/TD]
[/TR]
[TD] SKYKNIGHTS AEROMODELING TEAM
Flying Site Details
23.27 miles [/TD]
[TD] 271 [/TD]
[TD] 22 [/TD]
[TD] JON EARLEY
Email Contact [/TD]
[TD] Phone: 847-560-1382
Visit Website
[/TD]
[TD] 6 [/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD] ABC R/C FLYERS
Flying Site Details
23.31 miles [/TD]
[TD] 3074 [/TD]
[TD] 18 [/TD]
[TD] TODD BAUER
Email Contact [/TD]
[TD] Phone: 262/968-2099
[/TD]
[TD] 7 [/TD]
[TD] Yes [/TD]
[/TR]
[TD] MILWAUKEE AREA RK SOCIETY INC
24.77 miles [/TD]
[TD] 8[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 01-19-2015, 09:04 AM
joebahl

I fly off of water alot so have to be near a club that does also but i always have a large van with a bunch of rc planes in it and i dont mind driving a hour or so . Here most of the winter i wear a T shirt with a hoody over it unless its 20 below 0 then i wear a hat:-0 lmao Rich i lived in west allis WI as a kid working summers painting houses with my uncle . It was great in the summer but i have never stayed a winter there . The whole idea of me working as long as i did was to get to some place thats warm year round and break all of my snow shovels in half. Its always cooler by a lake out west :-) joe

Name:	DSCN0206.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	2065415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_7086.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	2065416  

Last edited by joebahl; 01-19-2015 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:37 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had at one time also had GB1 set up on my other puter, it has a different photo file on it with a lot of older builds from when I got my first puter and a point and shoot digital camera. I slowed down on building a year or two ago and started doing repairs last year, I really hate repair work!! I only built one plane that I recall in 14 and it was just an Up-Roar scratch build. I am getting ready to scratch build a Bridi Dirty Birdy this year. I will be cutting templates next week from Seetemp, seatemp? Then cutting the wood and kit.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:57 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Joebahl

I am liking that sea Float, is that young person next to it the pilot? been considering a Short Sunderland for a while but too many builds in the que.

If you like to be by the water in a warm climate you may wish to consider East TEX. .. lake Livingston by Trinity TEX. my son just purchased a place there and is eyeballing the place next to him. he is about 100 yards from the launch ramp. you might want to do your purchasing now the prices are nice.

I like you welcome the grands but they would have to come to me also. My retirement is for me! and I am enjoying it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.