Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 12:32 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I do recall the Japanese silk and wire rubber band powered airplanes but I don't recall them flying.

Even the Sleek Streaks were awfully disappointing. I think it was my older brothers' AJ Walker Hornet, or something like that, that hooked me because it actually took off from our driveway and flew over the house. Everything rubber powered that I tried after that was a total disappointment. Then years later I built a Zip, 14 inch rubber cabin model, from a magazine plan using contest balsa, and wound it with a hand drill with a hook on it. That really flew!
Old 01-20-2015, 01:57 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I think I found it: http://www.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3...436/538265.jpg

As a group I have seen such a motley group of old reprobates since my last visit to the local club I haunt!
Got a closer look:

Seems like a fine group of folk, if I didn't know any better could have been a photo out of the Midwest US. I think model airplane is a universal language spoken by all.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:57 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

We fly from a WW2 training aerodrome, Forton Aerodrome, near Montford Bridge in Shropshire. Shropshire is England's largest inland county, it is also the most rural. The leading fighter ace Paul Closterman flew a Spitfire for the first time at this aerodrome.The building in the background is an old accommodation block which we now use as a clubroom. Buildings like this were thrown up in wartime; the walls are only one course of bricks thick. A few years ago the old roof blew off in a gale. We managed to get a grant from the National Lottery to re-roof it and to make a few other changes. When I installed a new kitchen I donated the old one to the club. The guy in the green shirt runs a building business and rigged up an electrical circuit powered by a generator so that electric fliers could re-charge their batteries. Now we have all mod cons except for running water! We have to bring that to the club in 5 litre containers!
Old 01-21-2015, 04:30 AM
charlie111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 62 & Have a Self rotating wing conversion Kit Batteries in wing 3 wires to (T) for e.s.c.s! Motorized Tail Rotor helis. only!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	150117_004.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	2065895  
Old 01-21-2015, 04:31 AM
charlie111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 62 & Have a Self rotating wing conversion Kit Batteries in wing 3 wires to (T) for e.s.c.s! Motorized Tail Rotor helis. only!
Old 01-23-2015, 12:28 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I went flying yesterday. I maidened a Model Tech Magic Fun Fly which I'd bought on eBay for about £20 (about $30US.) It was powered by an Irvine 30 which I'd also bought off eBay for about £12 IIRC. The Irvine 30 was never popular being a 30 sized engine in a 40-46 sized crankcase, so this combination is not going to win any competitions, but then again, neither will I! It flew pretty well with just enough maneuverability to be challenging on full rates. In the interests of longevity I switched the rates in and contented myself shooting touch and goes. I regret that I forgot to take the camera with me.

There were three other club members there, two of whom appear in the picture posted above. Alan Ayres, extreme left and Kit Davidson, the big guy standing in front of the windsock. We all went home at about 3pm as the sun had gone behind clouds and the temperature had dropped like a stone. High winds are forecast, guess that means no more flying for several days.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:34 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
Got a closer look:

Seems like a fine group of folk, if I didn't know any better could have been a photo out of the Midwest US. I think model airplane is a universal language spoken by all.
I was thinking the same thing ,looks like my first club field . Except these blokes were smart enough to put up a shed to store stuff in and keep the sun off of their heads. lol joe

Last edited by joebahl; 01-23-2015 at 06:37 AM.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:47 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

T/sales uk
At least you can get a little time to fly, between the weather here and the honey do's I can't even spend time in my shop. as I write the sky is overcast it's raining wind is up and it's cold, for us texans it don't get much "miserabler" than that. the weatherman mentioned the possibility of snow flurries which would be insult to injury. As soon as the rain slows down I have a roof leak to patch Oh lucky me! two days ago we have clear skies and 78 degree temps right now, low 40's and wet.

I have been busy preparing for a swap meet next Friday and saturday it is one of my favorite activities, I get to purchase my shop supplies. I don't purchase whole planes from others unless they contain something I need. but looking around at all the goodies is a lot of fun and at the end they hold a auction. Many times at auction I see items purchased for more than the original asking price I guess it is the competition that drives the price up, that is why I spend a lot of time looking at what is for sale on the tables and making and offer to buy at what the item is worth to me. like a set of retracts for the Nosen Cessna 310. can't start the build until I get all the goodies.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:00 AM
joebahl

I had a Model tech Magic with a OS 30 on it ,great flying plane with umlimited vertical ,the only thing that i did not like was the just wire tail skid . made taxing on a windy day very interesting and the roll out on landings a trip also on pavement . Flying it on grass was good tho. joe
Old 01-23-2015, 08:02 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Hoss:
what's your main R/C clubs guest flyer policy ... think I'd like to try and hit as many different fields this spring I can on my way back to WI from AJ AZ. I have a GPS with over 2400 R/C fields listed in it. Might put it to use this April.
The only field I''ve been to is Bomber Field for the Grater SW Fan Fly a long time ago
.Didn't Fly Just went to Video Tape the Event

Last edited by HoundDog; 01-23-2015 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:22 AM
donnyman

Hound dog

You could spend quite some time visiting flying fields in texas There must be 7-8 fields in less than and hours drive from me, Bomber field is maybe 1.5 hrs. away. I was told before B. B. Weber passed away that his family would close bomber field but that has not come to pass and is still a great place to go. They have improved it with motorhome parking which my wife loves.

The Austin area has at least two paved flying sites and most of the surrounding communities have a field of some sort. Have fun.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:44 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They just showed video of a snow storm that hit Texas on our news, can't recall where exactly but it caught a lot of folks by surprise. It snows here in Vegas once in a while too but the video I saw made the place look like a winter wonderland.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:03 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

The undeniable truth down her is as follows: Dogs, rugs, weather people, and politicians lie!

The rug lies on the floor, the dog lies on the rug, and the other two just lie!
Old 01-23-2015, 10:07 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Gray Beard
They just showed video of a snow storm that hit Texas on our news, can't recall where exactly but it caught a lot of folks by surprise. It snows here in Vegas once in a while too but the video I saw made the place look like a winter wonderland.
That storm is heading my way (hope it don't make it) We do have some flurries but mostly rain. It is supposed to be too warm to stick but who knows, Tomorrow is forecast for the sixties, again who really knows. The last time I was in vegas it snowed a little and that was too much for me, sure don't want it here! the snow is in the hill country of higher elevation. all the weather is forecast to clear out in a hour or two.

Last edited by donnyman; 01-23-2015 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:33 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
The undeniable truth down here is as follows: Dogs, rugs, weather people, and politicians lie! The rug lies on the floor, the dog lies on the rug, and the other two just lie!
No worry, there's a way to get things back, When You Play a Country Song Backwards - YouTube

Originally Posted by Backwards
And he said you wanna know what you get When you play a country song backwards

You get your house back, You get your dog back, You get your best friend Jack back
You get your truck back, You get your hair back, Ya get your first and second wives back
Your front porch swing, Your pretty little thing, Your bling bling bling and a diamond ring
Your get your farm and the barn and the boat and the Harley, First night in jail with Charlie
It sounds a little crazy, a little scattered and absurd
But that's what you get when you play a country song backwards
Might even work on political speeches.

Originally Posted by donnyman
That storm is heading my way (hope it don't make it) We do have some flurries but mostly rain. It is supposed to be too warm to stick but who knows, Tomorrow is forecast for the sixties, again who really knows. The last time I was in vegas it snowed a little and that was too much for me, sure don't want it here! the snow is in the hill country of higher elevation. all the weather is forecast to clear out in a hour or two.
That might just be the storm that just passed us, got 6 inches snow here in Clovis.

Last edited by GallopingGhostler; 01-23-2015 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:44 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Weather is a lot like a new airplane you realize you forgot to balance on take off, you never really know what is going to happen!
Old 01-23-2015, 12:55 PM
j.duncker

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Hey Hoss:
what's your main R/C clubs guest flyer policy ... think I'd like to try and hit as many different fields this spring I can on my way back to WI from AJ AZ. I have a GPS with over 2400 R/C fields listed in it. Might put it to use this April.
The only field I''ve been to is Bomber Field for the Grater SW Fan Fly a long time ago
Go for it.

I retired and came across from the UK to the US, bought an RV and hit the road. As a long time RC flyer I had to have a model and visited clubs from Mexico to Alaska. I was always warmly welcomed and allowed to fly. Sometimes I had to pass a proficiency test before I could fly on my own.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	fairbanks alaska 070.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	2066977  
Old 01-23-2015, 12:55 PM
donnyman

This time the weather people got it right we have sunshine and I am happy to say no snow, but it will freeze tonight.

meanwhile I am staying inside warm and dry.

Six inches of snow here would shut us down.

Last edited by donnyman; 01-23-2015 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:59 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by joebahl
I was thinking the same thing ,looks like my first club field . Except these blokes were smart enough to put up a shed to store stuff in and keep the sun off of their heads. lol joe
Actually the British Government put it up in WW2. We just arranged to have a new roof fitted once the old won blew off in a storm.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:16 AM
donnyman

I am looking at clear skies and sunshine today. the ground is soaked with a lot of puddles but the rest of the week is promising, I might get to set up the old trainer to knock the rust from my thumbs.

I got the urge to put my kaos in the air but I need to check my reflexes haven't flown for sometime now.

I put a comet Mig 15 together just for kicks and have to form another canopy. One of these days I will scale up a mig in the 65 in. range and heat up my turbine. I love to design and scratch up a model, I may get lucky next week and get to purchase more goodies for my builds at the Georgetown swap meet . I really need to sell a lot of stuff but don't care to be tied to a table, I prefer looking at what's for sale.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:53 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Gray Beard
Amarillo down to Pecos 2 guys that drove from Pecos to PHX area for our Electric Festival Fly in this week end said it took an extra 4 hours because of all the accidents. Looks like it going to get blown out this week end Thursday had 10 mph yesterday was great today it's gusting to 14 out of the ENE Who knows about tomorrow.

Yup Bowen away 10:10 am Apache Junction AZ

Wind from ENE
15.5 mph
4 Bft
Moderate breeze

Gust:
15.5 mph

Highest gust today:
26.0 mph at 9:09 am

Last edited by HoundDog; 01-24-2015 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:59 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Hey Hoss:
I have not even looked at the rules recently, but if you live outside 100 miles, it's very much OK for a week or so. The only restriction that matters is that you have to follow the club rules, (not much, you know like don't fly over the pits, etc., and no engine running in the sheltered area,...), there has to be at least one club member on the field, and of course a current AMA card. If you advise me a week or so early, I can make sure someone will be there, probably me,( if not in Chicago-land visiting kids and grandkids, ) There are so many clubs here in the Greater Houston area, that one can take a month to fly at a different place every day.
As someone herein mentioned accidents. This place goes absolutely crazy on the highways and toll-roads. Do be careful !
Old 01-24-2015, 04:05 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Hossfly
I have not even looked at the rules recently, but if you live outside 100 miles, it's very much OK for a week or so. The only restriction that matters is that you have to follow the club rules, (not much, you know like don't fly over the pits, etc., and no engine running in the sheltered area,...), there has to be at least one club member on the field, and of course a current AMA card. If you advise me a week or so early, I can make sure someone will be there, probably me,( if not in Chicago-land visiting kids and grandkids, ) There are so many clubs here in the Greater Houston area, that one can take a month to fly at a different place every day.
As someone herein mentioned accidents. This place goes absolutely crazy on the highways and toll-roads. Do be careful !

Same here in PHX area 5:30 am Detour Dan of the Eye in the sky says no traffic problems ... By 6:30 am there's 20 same at night.
O'L gezzers best avoid these hours.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:41 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For a good time come see what happens when it snows in Vegas. Couple years back we got 10 or 12 inches. I put on my winter boots and walked down the street to the bottom of the hill and drove peoples cars for them so they could get home. Everyone's car except the fool that decided to stop on the hill to put it into first gear and got everyone else stuck. Him I left sitting in his car.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:00 AM
joebahl

I live at the bottom of a large paved hill here and its fun to see who gets stuck or spin out at the bottom of it and hit other stuck cars . Alot of people like to watch birds and wild life , but i sit out on the front porch and drink my coffee and watch the demo derby when we get a couple of inches of snow.:-) So far mustangs are the best to watch trying to make the hill but cameros are in a close second. lol joe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.