Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 07:29 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

FINGPILOT

welcome, I noticed several similarities in our lives ...All to offten I think I am the "only one" and that just ain't so. I enjoyed what you said and my mobile hanger is a gasser used mostly to hold the missus while I visit contest and swapmeets. pull up a chair with the rest of us old timers and share the "good old times"
Old 02-08-2015, 08:25 AM
Greybeard1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
Ok!
I have used brown paper on foam and balsa and it made for a very strong surface but heavy. none the less am I hearing that Elmers glue can be used as a heat activated adhesive?

The technique I used is to soak the paper in diluted elmers lay it on and let it dry, sand for a smooth surface and paint.

I've used a heat sensitive adhesive like "Stix it" sold at the LHS is that what you used? talk to me people! "lemme no sumfin"
It's harder to define the process than it is to do, but,it doesn't particularly need to be Elmers, any of the white glues will work. a thin bead where it's to be joined, take a piece of scrap and scrape most of it, just a thin coating left is all you want, on both pieces. Let it dry to the touch, plus or minus a few minutes either way, make sure not lumps or bumps, then put them together where you want them. Once the heat from the iron hits it, you ain't gonna move it Leading and trailing edges, I started in the middle of the piece, working both ways, then start pulling it back and down, again I worked from the middle out. If the glue is too dry, or not dry enough, it won't take, but as I said, you have some leeway there. Balsa is a pretty good insulator, so you might have to crank the iron up a little to get heat through it. Half an hour with a couple of pieces of scrap should show how it goes. The most important part is making sure you have an even coating, within reason, don't fret if it's not perfect, and good smooth surfaces for it to attach to. Not fuel proof, and there are none of the aliphatic resin glues that are even really water proof, so seal it well. I used Weldbond, I've tried the Elmers, and a few others that would be better known to woodworkers, they all work.

I don't know who the author was, and I only think the article was in RCM, maybe someone with a better memory and large collection of magazines might have it. But it's pretty simple and works extremely well. But like I said, I've never used foam cores, someone else will have to confirm that it works well there.

Rich.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:06 AM
tandemairbike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi; I started building in 1945 at the age of 8. Guillows, megows, and Comet rubber jobs for $ .05 to $ .10 each. later worked up to Monogram "Speede Bilt" kits for .85 each which I could never get to fly. Solid balsa "Monofoil" wings too heavy. Flew ukies up until 1958 when I bought my first radio receiver, A Lorenz two tube single channel super regen. and an Aristrol MOPA transmitter This I installed in an OK Cub .074 powered Westwind built from Model Airplane News March 1958 issue. Originally used an SN escapement which resulted in some recurring crashes until I change to a Babcock super compound escapement. Total control thereafter. I recently aquired a set of plans for this airplane and built a second one with a Cox .049 and 9gram servos on rudder and elevator. Flies super. When I get back to my own computer I will post photos of this and other models. Left the hobby for fifteen years and came back in 2000. Alot of catching up and here I am with more airplanes than I know what to do with, but I'll figure something out.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:41 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by tandemairbike
Hi; I started building in 1945 at the age of 8. Guillows, megows, and Comet rubber jobs for $ .05 to $ .10 each. later worked up to Monogram "Speede Bilt" kits for .85 each which I could never get to fly. Solid balsa "Monofoil" wings too heavy. Flew ukies up until 1958 when I bought my first radio receiver, A Lorenz two tube single channel super regen. and an Aristrol MOPA transmitter This I installed in an OK Cub .074 powered Westwind built from Model Airplane News March 1958 issue. Originally used an SN escapement which resulted in some recurring crashes until I change to a Babcock super compound escapement. Total control thereafter. I recently aquired a set of plans for this airplane and built a second one with a Cox .049 and 9gram servos on rudder and elevator. Flies super. When I get back to my own computer I will post photos of this and other models. Left the hobby for fifteen years and came back in 2000. Alot of catching up and here I am with more airplanes than I know what to do with, but I'll figure something out.
I remember all to well those nonflyers of the forty's and fifties. I still have some controliners, I am looking forward to your photo post. Welcome aboard!!
Old 02-08-2015, 09:54 AM
donnyman

Greybeard 1

Elmers glue...............thanks, that's all I need to know. will be testing soon!
Old 02-08-2015, 10:49 AM
ddblu

Wow this thread is big! I just discovered it, got to page 5 and decided to go directly to the end. I'll read the in-between later, but I wanted to chime in.

I only got into this hobby about 4 years ago but there was a lot that influenced me to desire it all my life. Actually, I had a failed attempt about 15 years before that. I guess you might call it a bucket list kind of thing. I built model cars and entered them in LHS contests and ultimately blew them up with firecrackers or cherry bombs. Oh yeah, pellet gun took some of them out too. That was so much fun. Can't do that today. Still got the ribbons I won. I remember as a kid being able to buy smelly glue from the LHS for about ten cents. Also remember several kids I knew putting the glue in bags and snorting it. Glad I didn't go that route. I also had one of those Cox red cars with a glow engine and pusher prop that you'd tether to the ground. The oldest of my two brothers, who is now deceased, was into Lionel trains, control line and rubber band planes. Never forget one day when my second oldest brother had a ROG rubber band plane taking flight just in time to collide with a baseball bat about an altitude of about 10 feet launched by my oldest brother. They were a year apart, there was a lot of excitement with three boys in the family. I remember as a kid turning on a radio with tons of frequencies that my parents owned to hear sounds like a bomber, but never any words.

While we're are on an R/C forum, must we stick to that topic, or just reminisce as if we were on the front porch together having a beer?

Last edited by ddblu; 02-08-2015 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:45 PM
tandemairbike

I am going to try to post photos of the Westwind 1/2A low wing designed by Ted Strader and published in the March 1958 Model Airplane News magazine. It was designed for rudder only control. I built the original in April of 1958 my results are in my last post. The example in the photos was built from the same plans copied and CADed by one Charlie Pipes.Elevator was added and the plane flies great.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0418.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	3.43 MB
ID:	2071516   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0419.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	3.45 MB
ID:	2071517  
Old 02-08-2015, 01:10 PM
Redtail_Customs

Grey in the late 80's. MAN had a section tips & tricks that is were I read about useing white glue to attach sheeting to a foam core wing
now I vacum bag my cores
Old 02-08-2015, 01:16 PM
tandemairbike

Here are some more photos of some of my stuff. They include a Durafly Retro Junior ARF, An Alien aircraft or Herr engineering Cloud Ranger built from a kit. and a mongrel Easy Stik ARF from Ebay. I also have a Sig Astrohog, kit built with a K&B .65 Sporster, a Phoenix Model Spitfire with retracts. Unfortunately the retracts fold inboard instead of outboard like the real plane. I don't want to clutter this thread with too much junk but if anyone is interested I can post more photos.
If anyone is interested in building a Westwind I will Take a photo of the plans and post them. You can then print them and have them enlarged to any size you want.

Name:	DSCN0420.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	3.35 MB
ID:	2071529   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0421.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	3.48 MB
ID:	2071530   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0422.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	3.37 MB
ID:	2071531  
Old 02-08-2015, 05:43 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Greybeard1
It's harder to define the process than it is to do, but,it doesn't particularly need to be Elmers, any of the white glues will work. a thin bead where it's to be joined, take a piece of scrap and scrape most of it, just a thin coating left is all you want, on both pieces. Let it dry to the touch, plus or minus a few minutes either way, make sure not lumps or bumps, then put them together where you want them. Once the heat from the iron hits it, you ain't gonna move it Leading and trailing edges, I started in the middle of the piece, working both ways, then start pulling it back and down, again I worked from the middle out. If the glue is too dry, or not dry enough, it won't take, but as I said, you have some leeway there. Balsa is a pretty good insulator, so you might have to crank the iron up a little to get heat through it. Half an hour with a couple of pieces of scrap should show how it goes. The most important part is making sure you have an even coating, within reason, don't fret if it's not perfect, and good smooth surfaces for it to attach to. Not fuel proof, and there are none of the aliphatic resin glues that are even really water proof, so seal it well. I used Weldbond, I've tried the Elmers, and a few others that would be better known to woodworkers, they all work.

I don't know who the author was, and I only think the article was in RCM, maybe someone with a better memory and large collection of magazines might have it. But it's pretty simple and works extremely well. But like I said, I've never used foam cores, someone else will have to confirm that it works well there.

Rich.
I used a different method. Brown wrapping paper has a shiny side and a dull side. Cut a piece to suit the area to be covered with the shiny side out. Mix some PVA [ white glue ] with water about 1 part glue to two parts water. Paint this on the dull side until it is saturated. Smooth it on. Let it dry. If it is a wing that you are doing you now have a banana. DON'T PANIC. Do the other side and slosh some dilute PVA on to the first side enough for the brown paper to relax. If you still have a warp. wet both sides and hold flat while you dry it with a hair dryer or heat gun. It helps if you have some 50 50 mix and a little brush if you get an edge lifting. About three coats of dilute pva worked for me. Sand any edges with 280 w/d used dry! I used rattle can silver and then Tuffcoat a two part fuel proofer. On a 36 inch span model this added 35 to 40 grammes. or less than an ounce and a half. The wings had no reinforcing other than an additional diamond shaped piece on the bottom.

Brown paper was not good enough on a 48 in high aspect ratio wing I had to go to 1 oz glasscloth and epoxy.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:07 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by ddblu
Wow this thread is big! I just discovered it, got to page 5 and decided to go directly to the end. I'll read the in-between later, but I wanted to chime in.

I only got into this hobby about 4 years ago but there was a lot that influenced me to desire it all my life. Actually, I had a failed attempt about 15 years before that. I guess you might call it a bucket list kind of thing. I built model cars and entered them in LHS contests and ultimately blew them up with firecrackers or cherry bombs. Oh yeah, pellet gun took some of them out too. That was so much fun. Can't do that today. Still got the ribbons I won. I remember as a kid being able to buy smelly glue from the LHS for about ten cents. Also remember several kids I knew putting the glue in bags and snorting it. Glad I didn't go that route. I also had one of those Cox red cars with a glow engine and pusher prop that you'd tether to the ground. The oldest of my two brothers, who is now deceased, was into Lionel trains, control line and rubber band planes. Never forget one day when my second oldest brother had a ROG rubber band plane taking flight just in time to collide with a baseball bat about an altitude of about 10 feet launched by my oldest brother. They were a year apart, there was a lot of excitement with three boys in the family. I remember as a kid turning on a radio with tons of frequencies that my parents owned to hear sounds like a bomber, but never any words.

While we're are on an R/C forum, must we stick to that topic, or just reminisce as if we were on the front porch together having a beer?
Welcome!
Reminisce as if we were on the front porch having a beer? I like that, pass me another please. I am one of three brothers out of six so yea I know were your coming from.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:12 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by tandemairbike
Here are some more photos of some of my stuff. They include a Durafly Retro Junior ARF, An Alien aircraft or Herr engineering Cloud Ranger built from a kit. and a mongrel Easy Stik ARF from Ebay. I also have a Sig Astrohog, kit built with a K&B .65 Sporster, a Phoenix Model Spitfire with retracts. Unfortunately the retracts fold inboard instead of outboard like the real plane. I don't want to clutter this thread with too much junk but if anyone is interested I can post more photos.
If anyone is interested in building a Westwind I will Take a photo of the plans and post them. You can then print them and have them enlarged to any size you want.
Posting pictures is good! your planes are cool!.
Oh yea junk is good too!

Last edited by donnyman; 02-09-2015 at 06:15 AM.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:30 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Redtail_Customs
Grey in the late 80's. MAN had a section tips & tricks that is were I read about useing white glue to attach sheeting to a foam core wing
now I vacum bag my cores
Vacuum bagging useing Elmers glue? sounds feasable!

Last edited by donnyman; 02-09-2015 at 07:57 AM.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:31 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Since things have quieted down a little, I thought I'd let all know about my latest shenanigan.

Here's the business end of my 1950 Sterling S-1 Ringmaster with my "new" and "modified" Testors McCoy .35 Red Head engine with Evolution remote NVA, LOL. Since the plain aluminum finish head looks quite good and without paint will help it to run cooler, I'm going to leave as is.

I used Permatex Ultra Gray RTV, used on transmission and motorcycle cases, as a head gasket. Old was a paper gasket, so I figured it would work (glow fuel has a lower heating value than gasoline). I was right, ran it 4 times, it held and the new needle held 4 cycle nearing breaking into 2 setting, too. I did my testing on a vintage engine test stand, LOL, so I'm good to go. All I need to do is wait for some good weather, break out my 60 foot steel lines and fly.

Who says CL isn't still alive?

Name:	McCoy35 Plain Head Bk.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	2072507   Click image for larger version

Name:	McCoy35 Plain Head Frt.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	2072508   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0462.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	2072509  
Old 02-12-2015, 10:26 AM
donnyman

Ghostler

That engine looks real good, very neat set up.

I am wishing I had time to join in the fun but my motorhome is at it again, I have been laying flat on my back for the last three days due to a large wiring harness break.
Do you think the idiot that routed this bundle is happy with his work? he got away with it for a very long time, but the inevitable will not be denied. I got it all back together but haven't checked every thing out, got too tired and my back is letting me know it don't like what I am doing. The weather may Prevent the early completion of this so I may miss the next swap meet this month.

Name:	DSCF0178.JPG
Views:	341
Size:	2.39 MB
ID:	2072534   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0180.JPG
Views:	339
Size:	2.38 MB
ID:	2072535  
Old 02-12-2015, 10:43 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Donny
Feel for yea and any mfg that allows that kind of wire routing should not be in business look like that could have set the whole rig up in flams, but with the number of illegals working in shops it's not a wonder.

Cheers Bob T
Old 02-12-2015, 10:50 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Man that sucks Donny!
Old 02-12-2015, 11:02 AM
GallopingGhostler

Donnyman, sorry to hear of your electrical problems, but I guess the good is restored reliability with your repair. I've done my share of electrical repairs. That is not always fun, especially when in a hard to access place like behind the dashboard. Did some fun wiring though, lighting for a motorcycle kit trailer. I added a copper ground line to each bulb set, which helped to improve lighting brilliance. Chassis grounds are a weak link and copper is more conductive than steel.

Got a few repairs needed on the house, pick up truck, motorcycle, and etc. Seems to be a never ending task.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:27 PM
donnyman

That mess is on a older unit 1999, but there's no excuse for poor quality which is one of my pet peeves with America in general.

We seem to be in a increasingly bad case of complacency, greed, and "it ain't my problem" worsened by a large dose of ignorance and lack of personal pride. quality (with exceptions) seems is a thing of the pass with far too many manufacturers and it shows. you can get what you want but it isn't very good so it won't last for long. But the price is quite high.

What has been spent on maintenace for this thing alone I could have purchased three more based on what I payed for this one. If not for the insurance I purchased with this unit I would probably not have it anymore. I am concerned now that the insur. has expired.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:32 PM
BrightGarden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
Since things have quieted down a little, I thought I'd let all know about my latest shenanigan.

Here's the business end of my 1950 Sterling S-1 Ringmaster with my "new" and "modified" Testors McCoy .35 Red Head engine with Evolution remote NVA, LOL. Since the plain aluminum finish head looks quite good and without paint will help it to run cooler, I'm going to leave as is.

I used Permatex Ultra Gray RTV, used on transmission and motorcycle cases, as a head gasket. Old was a paper gasket, so I figured it would work (glow fuel has a lower heating value than gasoline). I was right, ran it 4 times, it held and the new needle held 4 cycle nearing breaking into 2 setting, too. I did my testing on a vintage engine test stand, LOL, so I'm good to go. All I need to do is wait for some good weather, break out my 60 foot steel lines and fly.

Who says CL isn't still alive?
Perfect time for this post, George. I have accumulated a few Red Heads of late and some are between Red Head and Bald Head - paint flaking away. You had a good point leaving it unpainted for temp issues. I like your remote NV set up, very handsome - makes it look like a modern animal. Some of the "engines" I collected were actually attached to CL airplanes - various ranges - Sig Twister, Buster with a Fox 35 50th anniversary, Ringmaster JR, I have a nobler still as a kit and a NIB Fox 35 60th edition. Yes, and waiting for the bitter temps to abate. Going to be single digits here tomorrow and Sunday. Evaporating fuel off one's hand should probably drop that well below zero, if one were to venture out in such conditions.

Viva la Control Line.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:47 AM
donnyman

Well I am at it again just like a junkie I can't control myself from dowloadiing plans for the outerzone site.

BRIGHTGARDEN...........I hope the weather improves for you soon it's in the seventies here but will cool down tomorrow a cold front will pass throuugh. I am familiar with that freezing hand form cold fuel, I grew up in Brooklyn N.Y. It didn't slow me down too much. but it did stop me from returning there when I was discharge from the A/F. It is warmer here in TX.

I have a ringmaster that needs some T.L.C. and a few controline engines just sitting around and think of my days in c/l flying way back when, just have too many projects going.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:40 AM
GallopingGhostler

It's kind of nice not to have to charge the batteries, take a CL plane out somewhere with a stooge (if no flying buddy available) and just bore holes in the sky, even if in a 120 feet diameter circle. It doesn't take much to have fun.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:45 PM
charlie111

.I have a Wing I was going to Cover with Silk Span But decided to go with Thin Balsa Covered with Boat Wrap! I also have a Smaller pair of Wings I'm going to cover with Window Heat sensitive Clear Plastic!.Some pics on Twitter rotate1953. I'm working on a Couple of Self Rotating Wings or S.R.W.s.The Batteries are in the Wings Between 1&2 Ribs.This is a Very Safe Flying Machine a High Performance Maple Leaf 2 Sides Spinning.Nature must not have wanted the Seed to Fall to far from the Tree & 2 Huge Wings compared to Blades Auto Rotating down Like a Feather! It is an Old concept with a New twist (Electric) See Hillers Hornet Saw video after Starting My Project! With the Brushes & Contacts I made. I could Bolt These Self Propelled Wings onto Any Heli. could be made into a S.R.W. Must have Independent Motorized Tail Rotor!

Name:	150205_002.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	2073117   Click image for larger version

Name:	150204_001.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	2073118   Click image for larger version

Name:	150117_004.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	2073128   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150117_175942 (2).jpg
Views:	64
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	2073142  

Last edited by charlie111; 02-14-2015 at 02:46 PM. Reason: wrong pic.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:01 PM
Redtail_Customs

Like most of you I was flying UC before RC . The Shoestring stunter flight streak. Voodoo and Nobler were my all time favorites there about 10 more that I have built .

Jim
Old 02-14-2015, 04:01 PM
charlie111

You Forgot the Ring Master! Voodoo was a Flying Wing Wasn't it? I've gone with an Alternative Aircraft! I invented it Myself I saw a Video on You Tube of Hillers Hornet after Starting My Project! There is some Footage of His (Electric) Prototype. But No control surfaces or Dehedral or even a C.G. But, it went about 30' up & Over! Like a Kite without a Tail! Mine has a Few Degrees to Help with Stability.See more pics. on Twitter rotate1953

Name:	150204_001 (1).jpg
Views:	257
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	2073156   Click image for larger version

Name:	150117_004.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	2073157  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.