Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 04:31 PM
Redtail_Customs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup forgot the ringmaster and little jumping bean. . The Voodoo was a wing you get them two in a kit for awhile . We use to take the flitestreak and. Convert them to a two channel Slope soarer

Jim
Old 02-14-2015, 08:51 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Redtail_Customs
Like most of you I was flying UC before RC. The Shoestring Stunter, Flight Streak. Voodoo and Nobler were my all time favorites there about 10 more that I have built. Jim
I remember the Goldberg Shoestring, it was a really nice looking aircraft. I think Brodak now makes a kit patterned after the Goldberg one. Flite Streak seems to still be favored among the CL crowd even now. It has a thicker wing section than the Ringmaster, more capable as a stunter. Haven't tried my hands on a combat model such as the Voodoo. Those flying wings must have required lightning reflexes to control. Nobler has always been a really nice looking stunter. Personally, I like the looks of the Shark 45, really like the smooth curves of it.

Still got the 42" Sterling S-46 Hellcat and 1960 Berkeley 42" Interceptor to build. Think of putting a CL version of K&B Sportster .20 in the Hellcat and 1950's Fox .35 Stunt in the Interceptor. Plus want to same class but larger wing area such as the 50" SIG Banshee.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:03 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

The Goldberg shoestring was a favorite choice of us at Williams A.F.B. in the 60's we built them from excess balsa we got from the base. It was a fun flyer.

The flying wings were not a difficult to handle as one may think, it all depended on the CG. start out nose heavy get used to it then inch the CG rearward I don't recall flying the voodoo but what I did fly didn't leave me with a lasting inpression. Now the Nobler was a beast. the first flight yanked me all over the place, it had a strong pull, stronger than any I had flown and took some getting used to. you did not have to concern yourself about slack lines, never happend. I currenly have a nobler hanging on the wall a bit beat up it's been hanging over 35 years and never flown, wouldn't take much to put it in the air. I have the engine I used in 1956 - 9 mounted in this one, and early r/c fox 35.

G Ghostler the plans for the shark 45 are on line as most of the birds mentioned here are, but you probably know that. I just downloaded the JETCO Sabre stunt plans, couldn't afford it back in the 50's........Tried to load it here but I got a blank.

Last edited by donnyman; 02-15-2015 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:06 PM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a modified Shark 45 in 1968, K&B 45.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Shark AMA-68 .jpg
Views:	81
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	2073645  

Last edited by stuntflyr; 02-15-2015 at 10:25 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:18 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

I think the last C/L I built was the Top Flite Combat Kittens (the kit came in as a pair) or a little high wing Aeronca like scratch built designed I threw together when I was home sick in bed. The Combat Kittens were a blast but I don't remember how long of a lifespan they had. The scratch job tough lasted until I got bored with it and cannibalized for the engine and hardware.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:06 AM
donnyman

Here I go again!

I'll be leaving for a swap meet in Garden Ridge TX. in a few moments. Yesterday I got a Byron mig 15 kit Been wanting one for quite a few years now, I saw a Eaglet kit for 50 bucks someone here said they wanted one I was thinking of getting it and offering it but I don't want to get stuck with it.

well I gotta go the meet will open soon.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:08 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I remember starting with the usual beginner stuff in control line and graduating to a Lil Satan with an .049 then putting a TD .049 in it. After getting my first radio a two channel Futaba gold box with an on off switch and a meter for the battery I retired my control line stuff. At first it was a challenge to fly without the limits of the wires and with no one to teach you how to fly you did more repairs than flying. Soon flying 2 channels became kind of tame and I was looking for more. I noticed the Lil Satan had a centered wing not like some of the control line stuff so I added ailerons and some vertical stabs on the booms and attempted to stuff the rc inside. It looked really crude and turned out to be too heavy for it to fly very well which was a good thing as it was still faster than anything we had flew to date. Just getting it in the air was a problem and it was so heavy landings could be hard on it. Once we increased the size (double I believe) and mounted a .15 on it thing changed. No longer a dog it scared the daylights out of us. No throttle control couldn’t even shut the engine off only 2 channels remember.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:09 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

stupid double post

Last edited by Propworn; 02-21-2015 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:54 AM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I was a freshman in high school, we flew control line right through the winter. The plane would be started inside a van with the lines running out an partially open door. When the engine started, one would run for the handle and another hand launch the plane. Four or five minutes later a frozen pilot whould be back in the van sitting on the heater while the next fool got ready for his flight.

i should mention that these were all .35 powered models. It would get kind of smokey in the van.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:04 PM
donnyman

Well The swapmeet was very good! a lot of buying was going on heavier than I generally notice. I'd say at least fifty percent or more of the sellers made a profit. and electrics is on the top of the heap. a lot of built up planes sold also (to non builders).

A lot of kits were available stick build free flighters to Royal B17's and Bearcat.

Next month Wheatherford TX has it's swapmeet........Oh happy days!

Last edited by donnyman; 02-22-2015 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:34 PM
Redtail_Customs

Need a swapmeet in the St. louis area

Last edited by Redtail_Customs; 02-22-2015 at 03:26 PM. Reason: My bad
Old 02-23-2015, 06:52 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Redtail_Customs
Need a swapmeet in the St. louis area
start your own. it's not very difficult, but you will need at least five or six helpers, once it becomes known it takes on a life of it's own. properly done it's a blast.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:23 AM
trainermaster80
My Feedback: (5)

RED TAIL THERE WILL BE 1 in Belleville ILL just accross the river from St Louis when it gets a little warmer. Thier 2-21-15 swap meet was iced and sleeted out plus snow.
I was going have 30 engines & some nice kits. But the ice here was too much for me. I am 86 and selling all my stuff except 2 or 3 engines & 2 kits. That ought to last me. Frankie trainermaster 80

Last edited by trainermaster80; 02-23-2015 at 07:27 AM. Reason: SPELLING & CAPITAL LETTERS
Old 02-23-2015, 08:21 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Being 86 and ice don't match up weel. Better to wait for a nicer day!
Old 02-23-2015, 09:54 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
start your own. it's not very difficult, but you will need at least five or six helpers, once it becomes known it takes on a life of it's own. properly done it's a blast.
We have a pretty good one once in a while here and I went to the last one. My problem is tunnel vision, I was looking for nothing but Hitec 2.4 RXs, I only found one but what I really needed was a new cylinder for a YS 110, I found a couple or parts engines but the tunnel vision had me locked in and I gave them a pass. It was more of a shallow pocket thing but now I really wish I would have looked closer at the YS parts. Long story but I really want to use this engine now for my next build!!
That dumbass married to my wife struck again!!!
Old 02-23-2015, 11:47 AM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What, did Boeing make the old Mac Aircraft swap cease ops?
Chris...
Old 02-23-2015, 01:21 PM
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
Well The swapmeet was very good! a lot of buying was going on heavier than I generally notice. I'd say at least fifty percent or more of the sellers made a profit. and electrics is on the top of the heap. a lot of built up planes sold also (to non builders).

A lot of kits were available stick build free flighters to Royal B17's and Bearcat.

Next month Wheatherford TX has it's swapmeet........Oh happy days!
how much did the royal b-17, bearcat, and other royals go for?
Old 02-23-2015, 03:07 PM
donnyman

I don't know how much things sold for but the asking price of the B-17 kit was $425 ( a bit high) don't remember any other price. most people ask too much for what they are trying to sell so they have space for any bargaining that may occur, I mostly ignore asking prices and make a offer for what it is worth to me! If they wont sell I walk away.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:05 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

We are going through a phase where many of us are shuffling off this mortal coil and widows throughout the Western World and elsewhere will be lumbered with lots of stuff cluttering up the place. This "stuff" is then disposed of in three phases. In the first phase it is sold to clubmates and friends of clubmates. In the second phase it is advertised on eBay and in the third phase it is sold at swap meets!Those of us left behind, benefit from this process.

A chap who was a member of a local club died last year and two of his friends have compiled a list of 463 items they wish to dispose of on behalf of his widow, and that's counting a box of over 50 plans as one item! Fancy a Lancaster kit? Choose your wing span, these guys have two! How about an un-started Flying Legends Gypsy Moth with an OS IL300 engine? These guys can oblige.

I bought a 1/6 scale Pactical Scale BE2e with a working exhaust. Though I'm supposed to be clearing the decks, selling the house and moving to France, and though I am building an identical model, for £95 I just had to have it. You know how it is! I'm just working on the details of fitting an OS 70 FS to the model and connecting up the exhaust.

I have a picture of the model on Paint Shop but it's too large to attach. I'll get my mate round to show me how to reduce it.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:48 AM
Gray Beard

We had a fellow in our club that was a master builder and passed, he had several builds going at the time but he had a Tiger Moth that was in the bones but almost complete. A friend got it, wired it together so he could hang it in his shop. 20 years later I got it and completed the build and flew the plane at IMAA events for several years. I sold it and have been kicking myself in the butt ever sence. It was a kit from the UK and the best flying Bipe I had ever flown. Now I'm too old and lazy to build another Bipe and haven't seen a good one at a swap meet worth buying. That Gypsy sounds like something I would like to have.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:43 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by Gray Beard
That Gypsy sounds like something I would like to have.
Send me a pm with your email address Gray Beard, and I'll forward it to the bloke who's organising the sale of the estate.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:43 PM
donnyman

I have no idea what my family will do with my stuff at my passing, and quite frankly I don't care! I worked for years to do what I am doing so I don't feel I owe anyone an explanation. and I don't use any of the household funds to do my thing. now I am in a situation that permits me to do what I want when time permits.

Those that have passed have provided me with much of what I have, suffice it to say that's the way it goes. and my current intent is to build all I have (riiiiiight!) I am enjoying the current situation and my son will have a lot to do when I am gone.

I have noticed a lot of kits at some of these meets but the prices seem to be going up (with exceptions) No matter, I will continue to build my models, ARF's don't do much for me.

The AMA magazine seems to be supporting building more than usual lately And I hope for the best.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:28 PM
Gray Beard

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
Send me a pm with your email address Gray Beard, and I'll forward it to the bloke who's organising the sale of the estate.
At this point in time I couldn't afford the shipping.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:09 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

I know what you mean.

The cost of sending a 5kg (11lb) parcel to the USA is between £68.70 and £90,10 depending on which service you chose. A 10kg parcel will cost you between £91.70 and £131.60. The Pound Sterling is currently trading on the exchanges at US$1.55.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:29 PM
donnyman

It seems us old timers have hit a slump with little to say!
I've been battleing some type of rash that's has me scratching all the time, it's very distracting.

I am taking some time to scale some 50 cal. m2 Browning machine guns for my mustang in 1/4 scale. My shop is on the second floor of the house and I don't want to brave the chilly air to go up there (balcony entrance) so I stay down here and try to keep busy.

I don't remember saying I got a Byron Mig -15 at the last swapmeet But it is in my garage and will have to wait for the weather to warm up a bit before I mess with it. I saw some trailing beam landing gear but I wasn't sure how well they would work for the mig so I didn't purchase them. I now have four or five planes that will accept my turbine so I think I better slow down on my purchases.

My motorhome is not ready for the road because of that wiring harness fiasco that manage to burn out the entire starter system and the starter, now the only thing left is a start relay an it is in a position that is almost impossible to reach and refuses to come off of it's mount. I could go on forever about all the things I need to do that seem to have appeared after I retired that weren't there before, maybe I need to go back to work!.....Naaaaaah!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.