Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 02-28-2015, 02:05 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
It seems us old timers have hit a slump with little to say! I've been battleing some type of rash that's has me scratching all the time, it's very distracting. I am taking some time to scale some 50 cal. m2 Browning machine guns for my mustang in 1/4 scale. My shop is on the second floor of the house and I don't want to brave the chilly air to go up there (balcony entrance) so I stay down here and try to keep busy.
We've hit a bit of cold weather with snow here in NM. Just don't have much going on, donnyman due to the weather. Got repairs to do, but have been feeling a little under, too. Shoveled snow off the driveway yesterday and cleaned the snow off the car.

I don't remember saying I got a Byron Mig -15 at the last swapmeet But it is in my garage and will have to wait for the weather to warm up a bit before I mess with it. I saw some trailing beam landing gear but I wasn't sure how well they would work for the mig so I didn't purchase them. I now have four or five planes that will accept my turbine so I think I better slow down on my purchases.
Know the feeling. Garage has been in the 30's, which is just too cold to work in.

My motorhome is not ready for the road because of that wiring harness fiasco that manage to burn out the entire starter system and the starter, now the only thing left is a start relay an it is in a position that is almost impossible to reach and refuses to come off of it's mount. I could go on forever about all the things I need to do that seem to have appeared after I retired that weren't there before, maybe I need to go back to work!.....Naaaaaah!
Yes, I know the feeling. Just about when you're ready to scream, you'll find a way to get that starter relay off.

My 1984 Dodge Aries was another that was hard to work on, ended up taking a whole day to unbolt a lot of stuff to replace the water pump. Took me only 2 hours on my 1990 Dodge D150 pickup. Got the dash on the S10 pickup half way torn apart, need to remove entirely so I can replace the leaking heater core. First time to do and it is a dog. Father's 1964 Ford Falcon 4 door, 1967 Datsun Bluebird, 1968 Hino Contessa, 1976 Ford Pinto and 1990 Dodge D150 pickups were all easier to work on.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:15 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Geez guys, I'm almost (almost) sorry to say that everything's just ducky here. We finally got a bit of snow (about 11") to at least make it seem like winter, and the temp has been hovering between 0 and 30 most days. There HAVE been days that were warm enough (40+) to go flying.

The real news, though, is that I've finally gotten a start on my plans-build of the 1966-era SIG Stratus. Wings are framed. About ready to start sanding LE & TE so I can actually join them. Then starts the sheeting.

This is where I am right now:

This is kinda what it'll look like when it's done: (heggen's bird)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1898-both-wings-25pct.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	2077472   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1903-both-wings-25pct.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	2077473   Click image for larger version

Name:	SIGRC4-Stratus-pic1.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	2077474  
Old 02-28-2015, 08:20 PM
koastrc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Old Timers" After military service time I found myself on the police force. On the way to work, a stop at the local cafe for coffee and the paper. The old men would always be there. Their conversations were pretty much the same. The old days, trips to the doctor, what the wife done lately, and the latest medication. Never gave it much thought. Now I drink coffee with the other old dudes and, yes we talk about the same things.those old fellows did so long ago.
Now Donny Man has got us going on RCU, Much we have heard before and much we heard before, but don't recall hearing it. It is all good. Thanks Donny for doing this. Said it before and will say it again. This is a good one. So, come on fellows. More stories!
Old 02-28-2015, 10:49 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 139 Likes on 118 Posts

I've been working on restoring my 1958 Uproar. The wing is now with the sign-writer having "UPROAR" in big black letters painted to the underside. The model has quite a long nose and modern engines are much heavier than the ETA 29's used by Chris Olsen in the Fifties. When I last flew it, over fifteen years ago, I had a Merco 61 up front. I had to put a couple of ounces of lead into the tail to get the model to balance. I am dickering on whether to saw a bit off the nose and/or to move the servos to the tail area to avoid using lead. Pictures attached,

Courtesy of the Gulf Stream, (thanks guys!) the weather is cold but well above freezing in the Old Country at the moment. I went flying with my mates Alan Ayres, on the left and Kit Davidson on Wednesday. They have recently built SLEC Fun Flys powered by an OS 35 SF and a Thunder Tiger GP 42 respectively. I flew Kit's model and it really is a great kit. It goes where you put it! Must build one. I have an Irvine 36 doing nothing. With that it would be an excellent combination!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Uproar Wing and Fuselage. (1).JPG
Views:	301
Size:	347.3 KB
ID:	2077601   Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished wing.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	351.3 KB
ID:	2077602   Click image for larger version

Name:	SLEC Fun Flies! (1).jpg
Views:	337
Size:	531.7 KB
ID:	2077603  
Old 03-01-2015, 01:13 PM
donnyman

Received 123 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by koastrc
"Old Timers" After military service time I found myself on the police force. On the way to work, a stop at the local cafe for coffee and the paper. The old men would always be there. Their conversations were pretty much the same. The old days, trips to the doctor, what the wife done lately, and the latest medication. Never gave it much thought. Now I drink coffee with the other old dudes and, yes we talk about the same things.those old fellows did so long ago.
Now Donny Man has got us going on RCU, Much we have heard before and much we heard before, but don't recall hearing it. It is all good. Thanks Donny for doing this. Said it before and will say it again. This is a good one. So, come on fellows. More stories!
I almost joined the police force here in TEX. when I left the A.F. But as I considered the job I reralized I was not suited to it. I don't tolerate a lot of back talk and B.S. from others well so I got a job with a major computer CO. best move I ever made, my life got a little more complicated but Gooder!

I am in total agreement with KOASTRC this thread is a lot of fun And you may think that what you have to say is not much good or interesting but you are wrong! we Enjoy hearing your side of the story very much and you enrichen our lives in the telling.

I have a little story of prescriptions, my Insurance company has the unmitigated gall to only pay $0.05 on a $46 prescription two times (different meds) and denied another all together. what the H___ am I paying for! If it were not for my wifes medical needs I'd drop these greedy s.."s in a heartbeat.

sorry about the grump but I had to dump it somewhere.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:24 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
Geez guys, I'm almost (almost) sorry to say that everything's just ducky here. We finally got a bit of snow (about 11") to at least make it seem like winter, and the temp has been hovering between 0 and 30 most days. There HAVE been days that were warm enough (40+) to go flying.

The real news, though, is that I've finally gotten a start on my plans-build of the 1966-era SIG Stratus. Wings are framed. About ready to start sanding LE & TE so I can actually join them. Then starts the sheeting.

This is where I am right now:

This is kinda what it'll look like when it's done: (heggen's bird)
Eleven inchs of snow 40 degrees or less temp. and it's ducky here?? .............you gotta be kiddin!

None the less I like that Sig stratus! may have to scratch one up.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:09 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey Donny!! Really, everything's ducky - especially when I consider that I might be in NH, or MA, MN or VT, or even NY. THOSE PEOPLE are getting buried and froze, all at the same time. I can easily put up with the tiny bit of the fluffy white stuff and a bit of a chill in the air.

BTW, that 11" snow is now about 1.5" and everything other than the yard (grass) is clear. Flew a few flights today with the Kadet & Sr. Falcon, then came home to a big pot of my wife's chicken soup & homemade bread.

It definitely could be worse.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:56 PM
donnyman

skylark-flier

you make a good point about the more northern regins, but since leaving New York I have lost my resistance to the cold, it is 73 degrees in my house right now and I still feel chilly.
So I no longer want anything to do with snow. My family on Long Island N.Y. was covered with that stuff not to long ago but I can't convince them to come down here.

The kadet and SR falcon,l two fine fun machines, I've flown several falcon 56's before converting one into a skylark 56 with minimal dihedral, what a blast to fly. but my all time favorite is still the 40 and 60 size KAOS. mine is about thirty years old....... lovin it!!

I'm going to watch a couple war flicks now and try to ignore this wet muggy weather we got right now, I am really looking forward to spring Big TIME!

see ya later!
Old 03-01-2015, 06:42 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well it is 60 degrees here and great flying weather. I had 3 new student pilots today so the trainer got a real work out today. One of the new pilots brought out a Dynaflite Butterfly which I got to fly. That was a first for me. Turn it into the wind and up she goes, old school flying that I really enjoyed. It was a great day......
Old 03-02-2015, 12:57 AM
CURTISSP40
My Feedback: (27)

Donny
Good place to dump on.Dump the ins co,you will feel better.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:26 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 263 Likes on 231 Posts

The temperature around his bobbing up and down like a kangaroo with ADHD! The wife is going out of town for a few days so I'm going to do a little work on fixing a J3 Cub strut and finish getting the CAP numbers and insignia on it. I may even start a new project or work on my 182 as well.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:01 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a little story of prescriptions, my Insurance company has the unmitigated gall to only pay $0.05 on a $46 prescription two times (different meds) and denied another all together. what the H___ am I paying for! If it were not for my wifes medical needs I'd drop these greedy s.."s in a heartbeat.

sorry about the grump but I had to dump it somewhere.
Donny, who the "L" are you working with? I now have Etna after a long time with Blue Cross & Blue Shield. B C, B S was not really bad, but Etna has been a real pleasure to work with. Doctor sends in bill, Dr. gets paid. I had a tough fall last week. Landed flat on left Face. Rattled the brain or whatever is up there. Went to Emer. Room just yesterday Some discussion on BC BS. I said "That is no more, ON ETNA now. Dr. said "Great". Everything went fast. I have been on ETNA for a bit over a year now. Beats "L" over the Bc BS folks.
Insurance is a real problem sometimes. I've had USAA since my Aviation Cadet Days in 1955. The Insurance part was good, not excellent, but OK until several years ago.
Now that George Soros' and his Progressive is all hooked up with USAA, all I can say is don't go there for anything outside maybe simple auto stuff. What a change within the past 5 years! All those Lard-Butt-Generals on that staff will get paid before any lower-class ex-soldier is assisted. My Home Owners certainly took a jump this year with USAA. Sad! BTW, I never for any reason except for ONE auto mishap, years ago, (my car only, not with another car!) just a fender bender, have asked USAA for any claim. Best I stop here!
Old 03-02-2015, 01:21 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by koastrc

Not me ... If the day ends in a "Y" Monday Tuesday ect only ecption is Wind"Y" and Raine"Y", I'm at the field with the same O'l retired gezzers in the summer it in Wisconsin and in the winter it's Apache Junction AZ at the Arizona Model Aviators Superstition Air Park. Haven't seen Snow in over 10 years.
We talk about all the same things pluss solve all the worlds problems by noon. Then it time to go to lunch, Some Place. Can't miss a LUNCH. I suggested that because of the bad feelings it can cause we out law Talking about Religion, Politics, and Women. I got Jumped on and asked what the He[[ else we gona talk about? Besides you should "Leave your Feeling at Home". don't bring'em to the field... some buddy's just gona step on'em anyway.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:48 PM
FlyerInOKC

Those days in late July and August must be real fun!
Old 03-02-2015, 02:04 PM
rt3232

If I said what I really think I just might get banned from RCU, But George Soros, Progressive, USaa and Obama are all cut from the same cloth.
This may get me banned any way

Cheers Bob T
Old 03-02-2015, 02:14 PM
donnyman

Hossfly

Yea that's them, been with'm for the last three years but as far as the prescriptions go I am not very happy I got to spend $400 + before they assist. other than that it seems ok I guess I will have to take the good with the bad. I still feel ripped off.

Hound dog

Religion and politics is usually a very touchy subject, I try to avoid but with politics as messed up as it is now days one has to be real careful not to comment. I have come feelings on the subject I would never mention. Nuff said! Oh yea the wife is from Phoenix and we are looking to move back into that area, can't say for sure. I was ststioned at Williams A.F.B.

rt3232
your pushing peoples buttons, be careful !

Last edited by donnyman; 03-02-2015 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:37 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Hossfly

Yea that's them, been with'm for the last three years but as far as the prescriptions go I am not very happy I got to spend $400 + before they assist. other than that it seems ok I guess I will have to take the good with the bad. I still feel ripped off.

Hound dog

Religion and politics is usually a very touchy subject, I try to avoid but with politics as messed up as it is now days one has to be real careful not to comment. I have come feelings on the subject I would never mention. Nuff said! Oh yea the wife is from Phoenix and we are looking to move back into that area, can't say for sure. I was ststioned at Williams A.F.B.

rt3232
I know better than to talk about those subjects here on RCU but at the field is another story.

"I was stationed at Williams A.F.B." Now Williams Mesa gateway airport. So U know what it's like at a temp of 115 and 10% humidity Which is worse, 98 and 95% humidity in Texas or the summer in Phoenix Valley?
Old 03-03-2015, 06:36 AM
donnyman

Hound dog

The weather here is whippin my butt, if my memory isn't failing me it is better in Phoenix (More tolerable) but hot is the same everywhere. I visited Mesa Gateway not too long ago and it seemed empty. but I was greatly impressed by the beauty in phoenix, Now Chandler looked pretty much the same. Still we cannot get ourselves settled on any one particular location. my real estate here will probably sell before to long, the population growth here is scary so planning ahead is necessary.

As to politics and religion.......Quite frankly I wish we could talk more about it but I find many people get too emotional and become disrespectful, and thats when it all falls apart
Dis agreement is one thing but name calling and my way or the highway attitudes, an nonsensical chatter is destructive and serves no one. so it is best left alone.

This itchy scratchy crap I have is abating so I may feel like putting some time in on my mustang today I'm getting a bit stir crazy sitting around the house, got a lot of sanding to do. I used micro ballons in epoxy as a filler coat, it sands out very smooth but I am not all that fired up about for some reason, I need to second coat the wing and then a primer coat and I am on my way.

Last edited by donnyman; 03-03-2015 at 06:39 AM.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:00 AM
CURTISSP40
My Feedback: (27)

We went flyin yesterday sunny 65 and little wind,started training three newbys too.Finally took off my long johns too (Stood em in the corner).Finally getting t_shirt weather here in SC,sending this just bust em on you northern guys. Jack
Old 03-03-2015, 07:16 AM
FlyerInOKC

Hossfly
rt3232
It seems to me when we go off on politics, the government, and our elected officials we suffer the same problem Congress has. Too many people think their views are sacred and the only right opinions. They can't allow any other views but their own to be express, let alone admit they could be wrong. They treat every opinion not there own as a personal attack, not unlike radicals we are fighting in the middle east treat their own religious beliefs. This flies totally into the face of the founding fathers. They treat compromise as a dirty word when this was the founding principal of the founding fathers like Washington, Jefferson, Adams, Hamilton, and the rest. Too often we try to box them into be of one mind but in reality they fought like cats and dogs coming to physical blows! The fact they were able to agree on a Declaration of Independence was major accomplishment that took months to get all the delegates to sign, if a remember correctly several never did. The Constitution was an even bigger fight, they Bill of Rights was afterthought. It was the only way the two opposing camps to compromise and come to an agreement on a Constitution. If a political party/politician cannot compromise to meet the needs of all both in the majority and the minority then they are worse than useless. If you views are so narrow you can't compromise for the good of the country then you are no patriot you are just plain selfish and as big a threat to freedom as our enemies. Just my 2 cents, just another opinion from a student of history, and not of political rhetoric. This is all I will say on the subject.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:31 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by CURTISSP40
We went flyin yesterday sunny 65 and little wind,started training three newbys too.Finally took off my long johns too (Stood em in the corner).Finally getting t_shirt weather here in SC,sending this just bust em on you northern guys. Jack
It is nice to know the weather for you is improved ,I'm looking at fog an drizzly rain, the temp. ain't too bad but the ground is so wet walking on it (black clay) is a sticky mess so it's a indoor day for me as it has been for the last few weeks.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:36 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

As to politics and religion.......Quite frankly I wish we could talk more about it but I find many people get too emotional and become disrespectful, and thats when it all falls apart. Disagreement is one thing but name calling and my way or the highway attitudes, an nonsensical chatter is destructive and serves no one. so it is best left alone.
Unfortunately, some folk have dysfunctional filters that they view life through, one of which is racial discrimination, but you are correct in saying is best left alone. There are more positive topics, which are worthy of focus and less controversial.

This itchy scratchy crap I have is abating so I may feel like putting some time in on my mustang today I'm getting a bit stir crazy sitting around the house, got a lot of sanding to do. I used micro ballons in epoxy as a filler coat, it sands out very smooth but I am not all that fired up about for some reason, I need to second coat the wing and then a primer coat and I am on my way.
I've got a Ringmaster needing minor repairs and several RC planes that need completion of RC gear, so to take advantage of good weather, when it happens our way.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:43 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
It seems to me when we go off on politics, the government, and our elected officials we suffer the same problem Congress has. Too many people think their views are sacred and the only right opinions. They can't allow any other views but their own to be express, let alone admit they could be wrong. They treat every opinion not there own as a personal attack, not unlike radicals we are fighting in the middle east treat their own religious beliefs. This flies totally into the face of the founding fathers. They treat compromise as a dirty word when this was the founding principal of the founding fathers like Washington, Jefferson, Adams, Hamilton, and the rest. Too often we try to box them into be of one mind but in reality they fought like cats and dogs coming to physical blows! The fact they were able to agree on a Declaration of Independence was major accomplishment that took months to get all the delegates to sign, if a remember correctly several never did. The Constitution was an even bigger fight, they Bill of Rights was afterthought. It was the only way the two opposing camps to compromise and come to an agreement on a Constitution. If a political party/politician cannot compromise to meet the needs of all both in the majority and the minority then they are worse than useless. If you views are so narrow you can't compromise for the good of the country then you are no patriot you are just plain selfish and as big a threat to freedom as our enemies. Just my 2 cents, just another opinion from a student of history, and not of political rhetoric. This is all I will say on the subject.
Wow......... You hit the nail on the head........we are in total agreement on that!
Old 03-03-2015, 08:15 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just wondering, I thought most of the guys here had served in the military at some point in time, am I the only one using the VA system?? The VA takes better care of me then any of the civilian doctors I have had and the price I pay for my meds, the VA is the only way I can afford them. Outstanding service!!! I signed up years ago in Calif. then right away when I moved to Nevada. The system in each state is a bit different, in Calif. I had no vision care, here in Nevada they give me an exam and a new pair of glasses every year and did the surgery needed. Strange thing is we are sent to Calif. to have any eye surgery done. They are starting to do it here but can't get the young doctors to work for the VA, money!! However, the doctors are trained at the VA hospital in Loma Linda Calif. where we are sent?? Low Life bottom feeders but don't get me started on doctors.
We went from 80 degrees to Burr in a week, even had a small dusting of snow one morning. Sunday we even had a cold front move in with rain, yesterday looked like rain but it didn't happen, we were out playing Bocce but I did wear a jacket. Now it is back to a warming trend and sunny and clear, more bocce today, I got called in as a sub.
I have to check the club web site to see if the Lake Bed got flooded or not, if so I will go to my close little private field down the street.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:55 AM
FlyerInOKC

My son is DAV and using the system. He is lucky to have a good team working with him. You still need to be your own advocate but he is getting good care. He had a foot problem he had suffered with for the last two years he was in but the Army failed to treat it. Bloody socks was a way of life for him. He went to his VA doctor and he got on it real fast. He had several doctors and nursing come in to confirm his doctor's opinion all on the same visit and then a short procedure a few days later.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.