Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 09:30 AM
Radical Departure
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gray Beard
Just wondering, I thought most of the guys here had served in the military at some point in time, am I the only one using the VA system??....
Have a service-related back injury that flares up from time to time, and hearing is almost shot, some vets have been trying to talk me into getting in the VA system to have it treated, and possibly pursue some level of disability. But I haven't, for several reasons. Maybe its a character flaw or something, but I look at it like this.. I'm not a combat vet, (78-89 not much happened), my back hasn't prevented me from working and I still can hear...well.. ok. When I see the VA getting squeezed in every corner, and by extension the soldiers it serves, and to see my brothers and sisters returning with very real battle wounds and disabilities.. who am I to complain? That dollar spent serves them much more than it would serve me. 'But you earned those benefits' is what I often hear. I'm not denying that, and another time and place, hell.. I still might not. I earned my benefits with time, and they with blood. Maybe I'm a nut, and maybe at some point I will pay them a visit... just not now, I'm functioning so I can wait.. wanting to see our current warriors taken care of first... just my opinion about me vis-à-vis the VA.

1/75th Rangers
USAID Pensacola
4th ID
2/187th ABN INF
Old 03-03-2015, 09:34 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

It's a personal choice, if you need it its there if you don't don't sweat it.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:07 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

I have used the VA system and I must say it worked for me! but like Radical Departure I feel others are more deserving than I. and I do have good insurance coverage though not perfect it serves me well.

the VA would be able to do a better job if they would stop hiring adminstrators that put the dollars before our troops, I could go on and on about this but once again respect for the individual has been tottally rejected by our society and has caused us problems around the world. What would happen if we stopped trying to force other people do things our way, but instead respeced there way?
Old 03-03-2015, 10:40 AM
f16man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the rest of the population in this country thought like Donny and Radical we would be in great shape , it is comforting to read those words guys I thought I was all alone sometimes.......................Oh ya I guess I can post here birthdate 11/ 26/53 thanksgiving day and they have been giving thanks ever since... he he he

Last edited by f16man; 03-03-2015 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:58 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by f16man
If the rest of the population in this country thought like Donny and Radical we would be in great shape , it is comforting to read those words guys I thought I was all alone sometimes.......................Oh ya I guess I can post here birthdate 11/ 26/53 thanksgiving day and they have been giving thanks ever since... he he he
You are definitly not alone. the problem is, like I, people have been too quiet lest we ruffle some feathers, but we can dicuss many things when we do onto others as we......................

Post away you are welcome here!
Old 03-03-2015, 11:41 AM
f16man

Thank you for the invite I grew up in Sunnyvale ca. about 1 mile from Moffet field , Nasa and Lokheed I don't remember what year it was but the first time I saw the A-4 skyhawks in blue angle colors fly over my house at maybe 300 feet I totally fell in love and never missed a air show at Moffet, always was around 4th of july as I remember did not get into rc until 79 when I bought a Byron f16 hanging in the hobby shop hows that for a first plane!!!!! What a meat head I was but I just had to have it and still do....
Old 03-03-2015, 11:48 AM
donnyman

Thank you for the invite I grew up in Sunnyvale ca. about 1 mile from Moffet field , Nasa and Lokheed I don't remember what year it was but the first time I saw the A-4 skyhawks in blue angle colors fly over my house at maybe 300 feet I totally fell in love and never missed a air show at Moffet, always was around 4th of july as I remember did not get into rc until 79 when I bought a Byron f16 hanging in the hobby shop hows that for a first plane!!!!! What a meat head I was but I just had to have it and still do....
If you still have the f-16 it wasn't a bad move. I have two unbuilt just waiting for my slow building self. hope to use turbine. I will never build all I have so what the heck!!
Old 03-03-2015, 12:15 PM
f16man

When I learned to fly my super sport with a picco 60 in it I was brave and took my F16 out by myself started the os 77 and leaned her out till she was singing and took off, I tell ya that super sport was a great flying model but that 16 was unbelievable I landed with confidence and never went back,,, sold the super sport and picked up a rossi 81 DF and been adding to the collection. I get crap at the airfield with my old school ducted fan until I unload her in a dive about 3 feet of the deck maybe 120 mph with a smoke trail out the tail.... Hey its plenty fast for me and it's not 10,000 bucks up there....Yep Byron f16 the most gentle flying jet I have ever flown , mine comes in at 11.5 lbs
Old 03-03-2015, 12:33 PM
donnyman

F16man

You just gave me a booster shot about the f16 I was a little aprehensive about it but if you say it is smooth I will have to adjust my attitude. I also have the mig 15.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:14 PM
f16man

Keep them light and both fly well on Byron fans , I am getting 19,500 rpm out of my modified rossi 81 and Byron tuned pipe 5% nitro, drinks 16 oz in about 7 min. but fuel is still cheaper than a turbine, keep about 1/ 4 throttle or so on landing nose high on the 16, the mig is a big trainer but also needs to land with some power for pretty main gear landing but dead sticks are no big deal at all ,,,, don't ask me how I know .................................. ps the kits come with nyrod control linkages under no circumstance use those I use dubro ball type ends and 4/40 rods on remote mounted servos , When the time comes I can send you pics of my setup inflight mixture control is nice but with Byron fuel control manifold and tank set up they are very dependable............................Glenn 209-479 1038

Last edited by f16man; 03-03-2015 at 01:35 PM. Reason: brain fart
Old 03-03-2015, 02:06 PM
donnyman

F16man

I won't be doing anything with the byron birds in too near future I can't seem to finish what I have on the bench now, but when I do you will hear from me. We have some OS
91's and several byron fans so me may just put them to use.

I learned a long time ago that nyrods and such isn't the way to go with many of the larger birds I am a 1/4 dowel minimum man myself, almost lost a B-25 to nyrods on it's maiden flight.
but No matter what, post the pics now, I am interested to see what you got. you sound like a man of action!!!
Old 03-03-2015, 03:21 PM
f16man

Donny I have never ran a 91 but I think they will run good on the byropipe I don't know the squish band size on that engine so nitro content will have to be figured out , for sure 18% oil for con rod lube, byro fans like as many rpm as you can feed em!!!!
Old 03-03-2015, 03:23 PM
CURTISSP40
My Feedback: (27)

VA For me too
Old 03-03-2015, 03:25 PM
CURTISSP40
My Feedback: (27)

Originally Posted by donnyman
I have used the VA system and I must say it worked for me! but like Radical Departure I feel others are more deserving than I. and I do have good insurance coverage though not perfect it serves me well.

the VA would be able to do a better job if they would stop hiring adminstrators that put the dollars before our troops, I could go on and on about this but once again respect for the individual has been tottally rejected by our society and has caused us problems around the world. What would happen if we stopped trying to force other people do things our way, but instead respeced there way?
VA For me too
Old 03-04-2015, 07:45 AM
donnyman

Donny I have never ran a 91 but I think they will run good on the byropipe I don't know the squish band size on that engine so nitro content will have to be figured out , for sure 18% oil for con rod lube, byro fans like as many rpm as you can feed em!!!!
sounds like good advice to me! earlier you said you used 5% nitro fuel, I am a avid believer in the use of lower nitro fuel. I found out nitro basically generates a lot of extra heat which is ok in cold climates but down here it is the best way to fry an engine. and many have. I rarely use more than %5. My engines sieze with the higher nitro, now the oil must be high due to the stress of high rpm, I prefer castor oil. I recently bought a set of scale retracts for the Violet f16 I hope they will fit the Byron.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:42 AM
f16man

I have the original rohm air gear that I have rebuilt several times, I did up the wire size of the struts as they were a bit small, The OS and ROSSI have fairly high compression so low nitro is good and with the oversize cylinder head cooling fins and a OS #8 plug keeps things cool, I will post up some pics of the insides of the fuse and post..... OK back to the past,,,,
Old 03-04-2015, 08:57 AM
rt3232

It is like all government agency's Top heavy, I have relatives that are and were government employed, and they brag at family gatherings on how little they do for what they get, and never served in any of the services, and for those of us (family) that have served it's liking getting slapped on the back of the head, we only go because of our wives. just my thoughts and circumstance

Cheers Bob T
Old 03-04-2015, 11:37 AM
donnyman

I have considered converting the fan units with elect. motors, Those 120 mm duct fan units perform very well and sound like turbines, we are fortunate to have so many options available to us.

Was going to post some pics but my camera just flipped it's cookies. it zoomed out and locked up! not sure what my next move will be and I am a bit P.O'd
Old 03-04-2015, 11:45 AM
FlyerInOKC

Chane and/or charge the batteries.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:02 PM
f16man

I have considered converting the fan units with elect. motors, Those 120 mm duct fan units perform very well and sound like turbines, we are fortunate to have so many options available to us.

Was going to post some pics but my camera just flipped it's cookies. it zoomed out and locked up! not sure what my next move will be and I am a bit P.O'd
I just can't get my head wraped around the electric power thing,,,, what oil mess? he he he
Old 03-05-2015, 04:28 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Chane and/or charge the batteries.
You and I know the batteries is not the problem. Obsolescience has taken place and I will have to live with it and get another camera. I've torn it down to look at all the goodies inside, it is not designed to be repaired so when I finish playing with the pieces I'll keep what I think I can use and trash the rest.

Last edited by donnyman; 03-05-2015 at 04:47 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:31 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by Gray Beard
Just wondering, I thought most of the guys here had served in the military at some point in time, am I the only one using the VA system?? The VA takes better care of me then any of the civilian doctors I have had and the price I pay for my meds, the VA is the only way I can afford them. Outstanding service!!! I signed up years ago in Calif. then right away when I moved to Nevada. The system in each state is a bit different, in Calif. I had no vision care, here in Nevada they give me an exam and a new pair of glasses every year and did the surgery needed. Strange thing is we are sent to Calif. to have any eye surgery done. They are starting to do it here but can't get the young doctors to work for the VA, money!! However, the doctors are trained at the VA hospital in Loma Linda Calif. where we are sent?? Low Life bottom feeders but don't get me started on doctors.
We went from 80 degrees to Burr in a week, even had a small dusting of snow one morning. Sunday we even had a cold front move in with rain, yesterday looked like rain but it didn't happen, we were out playing Bocce but I did wear a jacket. Now it is back to a warming trend and sunny and clear, more bocce today, I got called in as a sub.
I have to check the club web site to see if the Lake Bed got flooded or not, if so I will go to my close little private field down the street.

My Medical all comes from the Milwaukee VA Great People.... the only thing U have to make sure that U ask/inform them of any thin U think is wrong they won't/don't pressure U. I also get my INR done 1 a month here at the New VA clinic in Mesa. Great People ... It's not the rank and file that caused all the precived problems it the Management that say a way to make more in bonuses by have the rank and file hide stuff. I'm now being charged for Office visits because my income went up becayse at 70 and a half i had to start taking 10 grand a year out of my 401K's and IRA. But I was paying $2600 a year for a Medicare supplement. The VA sent a brochure saying that I was wasting my Money cause I never met my Medicare deductible and the VA can't charge Medicare and vise versea. I check with my supplement insurance company and in 3 years of all kinds of VA treatments and 3 time s in the hospital stay they never paid a sent for my $2400 / years. I asked what do I do If I have to go to a non VA facility for an emergency ... their answer "DO Not Carry your Medicare cards. Show them your VA ID and thy have 72 hours to contact the Nearest VA facility and the VA will decide if they will keep U there or move U to a VA Facility.

My only hope is when they close that LID the last check to the under taker Bounces. Man those people are Vultures.

Last edited by HoundDog; 03-05-2015 at 05:39 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:56 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Some photos from summer's flying, LOL. Flying buddy with the CL Ringmasters is Ron Cribbs. Rest are relaxing RC flights with venerable Hobby Shack Cessna 150 foamy and SureFlight Cessna 180 of the 1990's. Who says I'm not living in the past? (Photos courtesy of Gary Jones, MADS RC Club.)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	S1s Rons Fast Pass.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	2078935   Click image for larger version

Name:	S1s Rons in Flight.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	2078936   Click image for larger version

Name:	S1s Geo Flying.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	2078937   Click image for larger version

Name:	S1s Geos in Flight.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	2078938   Click image for larger version

Name:	S-1s Gary w-Geos Ring.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	2078939   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ring Jr 6oct13 End.jpg
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	2078940   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cessna 150 Top of Loop.jpg
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	2078941   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cessna 150 Banking.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	2078942  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P2140331c1280.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	844.2 KB
ID:	2078943   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cessna 180 Launch.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	2078944   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cessna 180 Banking.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	2078945  

Last edited by GallopingGhostler; 03-05-2015 at 06:00 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:46 AM
donnyman

Hi Ghostler

I enjoyed the pics. Yor mentioning the ringmaster made me fix up mine yesterday it is now in one piece and just may get finished soon. which is one of my faults I don't seem to get anything finished.
but I am a great starter. Is that a schoolyard you were in? the pavement is nice to have.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:17 AM
FlyerInOKC

I got a main spar built for a 1/5th scale Ryan Sport Cabin how does the size of this wing look?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Main Spar.JPG
Views:	359
Size:	2.86 MB
ID:	2078989   Click image for larger version

Name:	Main Spar 2.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	2078991  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.