Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 06:42 PM
Redtail_Customs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Trainer been flying RC from 74/75. Before that ukies been building since the late 50's. I have been looking a Flying field club for a bit ill take ride and check them out

jim
Old 03-07-2015, 07:44 PM
Redtail_Customs

Hers my email.

[email protected]
Old 03-08-2015, 09:14 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Thunderstones

I really enjoyed your story. I remember much of what you spoke about, this hobby has come a long way and I am just as enthused now as back in the 40's/50's only now I am in a little more control of what happens ............and lovin it.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:01 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
You did the right thing by putting it on 75 MHz land frequency, since it is technically not an RC airplane being tethered. Too bad this word didn't get out first off and others jumped to conclusions on it. Do plan any time soon, HoundDog to fly those CL planes?
G G:
Don't get DIZZY fall down and HURT your self. Get an office chair and hop u don't have to backup quickly . I always wanted to invent a device with a pole in the middle of the circle and the handle or Joy stick was out side the circle. Could not fighre a way to take up any slake in the lines EASILY. OH well. I'll stick to my R/C flying.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:59 AM
donnyman

I am in a building frame of mind so I'm going to my shop for some r&r. been prepping a Ringmaster for covering and don't want monokote so super coverite will be used.

My fuji digital camera would not retract it's lens so I took it apart (nothing to lose) and got he lens retracted and now in the process of reassembly, so until I get this thing functional no pictures...Yea! I am prepared to buy another, but not before giving this a good try.............wish me success!
Old 03-10-2015, 10:39 AM
trainermaster80
My Feedback: (5)

such a chair all ready exist. should be able to find plans on the net construction article was in rcm magazine if i can find more info i will post it i flew it back then in dt. louis mo works o,k. also check the ama model association for plans. trainermaster80
Old 03-10-2015, 01:51 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...johnbuckner100

second video - John & Charlie CL

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 03-10-2015 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:12 AM
donnyman

G/Ghostler

I mounted the engine in the ringmaster and had to cut the mounting area further back to get the balance within a reasonale range so as to minimize the weight it needed in the tail (I hate adding weight) Did you have to add weight in the tail? now I need to find a 4 ounce tank.

Flying from outside the circle has been accomplished, when I first saw it I thought It destroyed the fun of turning in the middle.......Might think diffrently now.

Last edited by donnyman; 03-11-2015 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:13 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by JohnBuckner
Looked like those guys had a good time.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:49 AM
BrightGarden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thunderstones, those are some great memories. I had to laugh about the disintegrating airplane, I can just see it.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:50 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
G/Ghostler, I mounted the engine in the ringmaster and had to cut the mounting area further back to get the balance within a reasonale range so as to minimize the weight it needed in the tail (I hate adding weight) Did you have to add weight in the tail? now I need to find a 4 ounce tank.
The Ringmaster's original owner built it from kit wood, which is normally heavier. I fly unmuffled, so the Ringmaster balanced properly as is. I used a Hayes 3 oz. RC clunk tank on mine with bulbous tank bilge turned toward the outside. A 4 oz. tank wouldn't work as it was too long to fit without trimming away the wing leading edge. One might be able to find a stunt tank that fits. My McCoy 35 Red Head is more economical than the Fox, so the 3 oz. tank worked fine for me. That may not be the case for others.

Flying from outside the circle has been accomplished, when I first saw it I thought It destroyed the fun of turning in the middle.......Might think differently now.
With a little bit of ingenuity, I imagine one could come out with a system that worked.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:14 PM
donnyman

George H.

This ringmaster is nose heavy without wheels or fuel tank, I've installed a fox 35 a little heavier than the mccoy. but I don't think the problem will be noticed by me as I will only use it in a fun fly capacity

My collection of birds from my youth is growing, the next one to be completed will be a Smoothie, it only needs it's nose rebuild completed, then, the Nobler.

Last edited by donnyman; 03-11-2015 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:04 PM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by donnyman
George H. This ringmaster is nose heavy without wheels or fuel tank, I've installed a fox 35 a little heavier than the mccoy. but I don't think the problem will be noticed by me as I will only use it in a in a fun fly capacity.
I think your approach is just fine, Donny. In a similar vein, OS Max .15FP-S on my 30" span Ringmaster Jr. makes it nose heavy even with the muffler off, but I like flying it because it is fun. That engine is an overkill as a modern Schneurle .10 or .09 would be the right ticket. A lighter engine such as a Schneurle .19 - .25 is the modern ticket for the Ringmaster. Many put an OS Max .25LA-S in it. Ringmaster is my stunt trainer. I'll keep it repaired until I finally bash it enough that rebuilding is impractical.

My collection of birds from my youth is growing, the next one to be completed will be a Smoothie, it only needs it's nose rebuild completed, then, the Nobler.
Smoothie is a nice classic with lots of nice wing area. You don't see many of them nowadays.

My collection is slowly growing, too. Got other irons in the fire, but would like to start on my Sterling profile F6F Hellcat build. I'm putting a Fox .35 in it. That will be the continuation of my stunt training.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:48 PM
trainermaster80

Hello george, i am 86 & i flew ringmasters with a madewell 49 on 70 ft lines for several years. Then thunder birds & smoothies. Still a fond memory as i still have 12 madewells in good condition some sans timers. Run as glow plug. Trainermaster80
Old 03-11-2015, 07:58 PM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by trainermaster80
Hello george, i am 86 & i flew ringmasters with a madewell 49 on 70 ft lines for several years. Then thunder birds & smoothies. Still a fond memory as i still have 12 madewells in good condition some sans timers. Run as glow plug. Trainermaster80
Given that you were working with 1940's technology, sounds like you had a blast with your Ringmaster. You must have had good lap speeds to put a Ringmaster on 70 ft lines. I do my Ringmaster Jr. on 50 ft lines and have 60 ft lines for the Ringmaster on McCoy .35 Red Head.

Madewell .49 was before my time. If my reading is correct, there was a small number made for glow, most were ignition. Thunderbird is another classic. I'm thinking of a retro-manufactured 30 inch Sig Spad profile of the mid 1960's for my Enya .19-V CL engine. It's a tad bit stronger than the McCoy .19 Red Head and a few other .19 offerings.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:57 AM
koastrc

Our club, MCRCC, AMA 1266 is now in the process of building a flying circle. The club is very old and kind of set in their ways, but some of the old timers have had their way. In truth the idea went very smoothly. So the Mississippi Coast Radio Control Club is going to have a u-control circle. If the circle is like everything else done on the flying site, the circle will be first class.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:34 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by koastrc
Our club, MCRCC, AMA 1266 is now in the process of building a flying circle. The club is very old and kind of set in their ways, but some of the old timers have had their way. In truth the idea went very smoothly. So the Mississippi Coast Radio Control Club is going to have a u-control circle. If the circle is like everything else done on the flying site, the circle will be first class.
Great if the club can support it ... U could even still fly when a VIP TFR is in Effect Like Here in PHZ from 11:30 to 3;30 Friday the 13 th. of March. Good Luck maybe some youngsters might get interested too. Anything that supports or promotes our Hobby/Sport can't be all BAD.
p.s. I/We got into R/C because my son at 9 in 1986 found my old Sterling P-51 Profile hanging in the basement of the house I grew up in. He's now 37 found Girls and Cars at 17 but gave up GIRLS from 21 to 34, Said he couldn't afford both. He all ways said about his cars and I quote "They don't WHINE and I can Fix'em"

Last edited by HoundDog; 03-12-2015 at 06:41 AM.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:22 AM
trainermaster80

George, the madewell 49 was advertised as the 49 that runs like a 60. & it did it had a bypass port that went thru the piston so you got a good fuel charge. My favorite old time engine. Also you should see a u control with an anderson spitfire on ignition. I flew one in a super zilch a great u control plane from the past. Plans still available. Was a sig kit trainermaster 80
Old 03-12-2015, 10:46 AM
Hossfly

Originally Posted by trainermaster80
George, the madewell 49 was advertised as the 49 that runs like a 60. & it did it had a bypass port that went thru the piston so you got a good fuel charge. My favorite old time engine. Also you should see a u control with an anderson spitfire on ignition. I flew one in a super zilch a great u control plane from the past. Plans still available. Was a sig kit trainermaster 80
Yes, T-M 80, that Madewell 49, was just that, its name, Madewell. I have not played with my collection for some years, but the Madewell 49 was a definite BARN-BURNER. Way back in the '60s and early '70s, I loaded up a lot of then "old" engines. Still have a goodly number but have not counted them in probably 10 or more years.
Back in the early '60s I flew 2 CL models that I had fun with. One was a very large .60 size - what the L was it? ZILCH - designed by, if I recall a Jim Saftig design, of the '40s and also the .40 size, same name using Forester .31 and Fox 29/35 engines. The Madewell 49 was far above the Super Cyclone 60. In fact, I flew the Super Cyke in a Sterling Corsair and it was fast enough but the model was nothing to dream about. Wing-Overs almost fell out of the sky regardless of the prop I was using. I finally changed over to the Madewell and BEHOLD: Wing-Overs, inverted, loops, and round "figure-8s" were easy. The Super Cyke was faster in level flight, but that Madewell .49 took it through the airobatics in top work!
I have never flown any of my Anderson Spitfires, although I have 4 brand-new and several "parts'' cases. I have a number of Ardens, both glow and spark.
Before getting those engines, I flew my Zilch on 60 ft. lines, using a Hornet "61" (I think). I tried spark but finally inserted a Champion Glow Plug and flew in late evenings open exhaust facing inward. WOW, that blue flame coming out of the exhaust was pure Heaven!!
Not to deny anyone anything but my young CL days from about 12 yrs. to well into my RC days, were more fun than I can ever receive now, regardless of my contest winning CL, FF, and RC (Scale, War-bird Racing, Pylon Racing, and all of whatever I was into, including my days of Competition Fun Flys.)
Hope to get back into real modeling soon, but so many, so much and at 79, there ain't all that time left. Ya'll be careful out there and have fun and spread as much fun
and help as you can to the newcomers.

Have a great time with whatever you like, but please don't discount or disdain the aero-modeler of these days whatever his-her might enjoy. Just maybe advise the newer folks to keep SAFEY in their foremost considerations. Bye Now!
Old 03-13-2015, 05:32 PM
donnyman

I was wondering how many of you have looked at the vintage model plans thread. it is a true treasure trove of plans from before 1966 or so, thats where I downloaded a heap of plans from my youth. If you haven't checked it out you are missing something especially if you scratch build and they mention other sites
that have more plans.

Check it out!
Old 03-14-2015, 10:30 AM
Russell_C
My Feedback: (1)

Wow, all this talk about Ringmasters brought back some memories! One Christmas I was given a Super Ringmaster, the one with the built up fuselage. It came with a Fox .35. It was my first large airplane (I was flying 1/2As with Cox .049s on them (Little Toot, Li'l Satan, etc.). That Fox .35 is sitting on a P-63 profile plane in my utility room that's been sitting for eons. All this talk makes me want to see about resurrecting the old Fox engine and flying the circle again. Thanks for the memories.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:35 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Doesn't need to be control line to fly with a fox, a buddy gave me the fox .40 new in the box several years ago and I just started flying a nice little Up-Roar with it. Fox caught on for control line but really never made it big into the RC field, too bad, I really like this little engine. It moves the plane around as well as any of the .46 engines I have used.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:35 PM
stuntflyr

It's a Funk, cool little airplane.
Chris...

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Harrison Ford wasn't the onlyu pilot that planted one, this was a 1946 model. The pilot is 19 and has been flying for several years and a flight instructor was flying with him. The plane flipped but neither was injured.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:37 PM
stuntflyr

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
That kit build helped to hook me onto balsa model airplane building. Found a photo of the kit:

Build article of the same: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285881

Man that thing is a beauty. Thanks for the link, George.
Chris...
Old 03-14-2015, 05:09 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Russell_C
Wow, all this talk about Ringmasters brought back some memories! One Christmas I was given a Super Ringmaster, the one with the built up fuselage. It came with a Fox .35. It was my first large airplane (I was flying 1/2As with Cox .049s on them (Little Toot, Li'l Satan, etc.). That Fox .35 is sitting on a P-63 profile plane in my utility room that's been sitting for eons. All this talk makes me want to see about resurrecting the old Fox engine and flying the circle again. Thanks for the memories.
Go for it! I had a super Ringmaster while stationed at Moody A.F.B. Georgia. Got to fly it one time before being sent to Arizona. I gave it to some guy that worked in the base barber shop. mine had a fox 35 also.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.