Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 03-14-2015, 05:55 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Your welcome, Chris. Enlarged, that rubber band powered kit would make a nice easily built sport R/C aircraft.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:41 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was just thinking the same thing; never would have thought one of those cheap Comet kits could turn out so nice. I'm picturing a lightweight RC with an OS 26 FS.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:02 PM
GallopingGhostler

Enlarged 4x that would be about right. Might be able to put that Enya .19-VI TV with Tatone 19-40 Peacepipe muffler of mine to good use.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:08 PM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by donnyman
Go for it! I had a super Ringmaster while stationed at Moody A.F.B. Georgia. Got to fly it one time before being sent to Arizona. I gave it to some guy that worked in the base barber shop. mine had a fox 35 also.
Been vacillating on it. Need to get started on my Sterling S-46 Grumman F6F Profile Hellcat with 1950's Fox .35 Stunt build.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sterling S-46 Hellcat 42in CL.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	2081502   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sterling S-46 Hellcat Details.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	2081503   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fox 35 Stunt.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	2081504   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fox 35 Stunt Back2.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	223.2 KB
ID:	2081505  
Old 03-15-2015, 10:59 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe I have posted this times before, but here is a real trick for a couple engines.

1, Fox .29,.35,.40 engines for CL. Remove the Fox needle valve assembly, and replace with either of an O.S> CL NV or an Enya, same. Be sure that the rear hole in the NV is JUST out of sight facing rear. OS and Enya are about same, with ONE (1) hole. That hole should be facing BACK and JUST out of sight. On the FOX NV, if you must use it, be sure for stunt flying the rear hole is same as above, just out of sight. The front hole will then be facing front and create some very good (or not good ) BURPS in most aerobatic maneuvers. I found the Fox CL Stunt .40 to be equal to any other CL Stunt engine if given at least 3 hours on the work-bench, then an hour on the model. All my competition stunt flying was using Fox Fuel for fox engines. You may need some small washers to center the NV in the hole. Use 'em!
Later on when Fox Fuel was not available I took standard Fuels to make a decent FOX engine fuel.

64 OZ. (1/2 gal) of standard 10% nitro / and 18% oil. Add 32 Oz. (quart) of 5% Nitro and 16% oil. Add 14% castor oil. This results in about 110 OZ. fuel, with 7.8% Nitro, 27% oil > being 56% Castor and 44% Synthetic. That's about close to it will keep a Fox running well for CL Stunt. A Fox engine needs a couple of hours on the
stand prior to flying.

For all those old Testor's McCoy red and blue head engines, they were good but short-lived. One secrete that worked well if one really knew how to do it was:

After some good flying time and they got rather difficult to finger start do this" Prop size 9" diameter, 5-6" pitch. Use a rat-race setting with 10-15% oil fuel, and needle it to maximum. Take off an be ready to NOT get too much round and round until you know it is really leaning out. Let it go as fast as it will. (might have to do some inverted but best if then "RAT-RACE" speed is maintained.) When it stops it will be smoking a bit if everything worked. You will find that the heat swelled and hardened the piston. Once it cools down, the engine will be very quick to start, runs better than you will have ever known, and will last a long time. This came to me about speed engines from a great speed CL flier. SWELL THE PISTON! NO, NOT for ringed engines, just lapped pistons!!! It works!

Any of you guys ever fly the Grey McCoys built around 1971-73 era. Very powerful, but came out at the wrong time, built by Testors up near Rockford, IL. They were good RC engines, but the rings were not tight and difficult to start, especially by flipping. As a rather good CL Stunt Man that owned a Hobby shop back then, Testors pushed on me to fly a pre-production one at the NATs in Glenview. I removed my fantastic George Aldrich rebuilt Super Tigre. 40 and replaced that with one of these new "McCoy Testors". I got in one good test flight the day before and one early before my first flight at Glenview. That first morning flight was a good flight, in the top 5. The 2nd official was going great, and I was drawing a crowd around the fence. Then came the UN-GREAT! For some reason the engine flamed into Rat-Race lean and I was over-time by at least 2 minutes, negating my 4-leaf clover, the landing, and pattern-points. I tried every maneuver I knew to shut-'er down, but was out of the placing, no chance for the top-ten.

Needless to say I did not give a good review of that engine. OK for RC but not for CL Stunt. If you have one, you might like it. I flew one, a 35, in a RC Trainer and it was OK by all standards. They never lasted long in the front-lines. I'm sure there is some out in the world, but I do not have one. I think it was actually made by K&B, had all the parts but I have no recall of what Testor's finally did with the design.

Ain't RC History GREAT? ........

Last edited by Hossfly; 03-15-2015 at 11:07 AM. Reason: add item
Old 03-15-2015, 06:48 PM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by Hossfly
Maybe I have posted this times before, but here is a real trick for a couple engines.

1. Fox .29,.35,.40 engines for CL. Remove the Fox needle valve assembly, and replace with either of an OS CL NV or an Enya, same. Be sure that the rear hole in the NV is JUST out of sight facing rear. OS and Enya are about same, with ONE (1) hole. That hole should be facing BACK and JUST out of sight.
Interesting. I found an Enya NVA on E-Bay, think I'll give that a shot.

On the FOX NV, if you must use it, be sure for stunt flying the rear hole is same as above, just out of sight. The front hole will then be facing front and create some very good (or not good ) BURPS in most aerobatic maneuvers. [...] You may need some small washers to center the NV in the hole. Use 'em!
Think previous owner of the engine may have been having some problems with that engine as you describe. I'll look into the Enya NVA.

For all those old Testor's McCoy red and blue head engines, they were good but short-lived. One secrete that worked well if one really knew how to do it was:

After some good flying time and they got rather difficult to finger start do this" Prop size 9" diameter, 5-6" pitch. Use a rat-race setting with 10-15% oil fuel, and needle it to maximum. Take off an be ready to NOT get too much round and round until you know it is really leaning out. Let it go as fast as it will. (might have to do some inverted but best if then "RAT-RACE" speed is maintained.) When it stops it will be smoking a bit if everything worked. You will find that the heat swelled and hardened the piston. Once it cools down, the engine will be very quick to start, runs better than you will have ever known, and will last a long time. This came to me about speed engines from a great speed CL flier. SWELL THE PISTON! NO, NOT for ringed engines, just lapped pistons!!! It works!
Interesting. Some have been mentioning about heating outside the engine when worn, to swell to fit. I've never heard of your method, some food for thought.

Any of you guys ever fly the Grey McCoys built around 1971-73 era. Very powerful, but came out at the wrong time, built by Testors up near Rockford, IL. They were good RC engines, but the rings were not tight and difficult to start, especially by flipping. As a rather good CL Stunt Man that owned a Hobby shop back then, Testors pushed on me to fly a pre-production one at the NATs in Glenview. I removed my fantastic George Aldrich rebuilt Super Tigre. 40 and replaced that with one of these new "McCoy Testors". I got in one good test flight the day before and one early before my first flight at Glenview. That first morning flight was a good flight, in the top 5. The 2nd official was going great, and I was drawing a crowd around the fence. Then came the UN-GREAT! For some reason the engine flamed into Rat-Race lean and I was over-time by at least 2 minutes, negating my 4-leaf clover, the landing, and pattern-points. I tried every maneuver I knew to shut-'er down, but was out of the placing, no chance for the top-ten.

Needless to say I did not give a good review of that engine. OK for RC but not for CL Stunt. If you have one, you might like it. I flew one, a 35, in a RC Trainer and it was OK by all standards. They never lasted long in the front-lines. I'm sure there is some out in the world, but I do not have one. I think it was actually made by K&B, had all the parts but I have no recall of what Testor's finally did with the design. Ain't RC History GREAT? ........
Do you mean the Testors Series 21 Black Head engines? Sorry to hear of your CL loss. Would have been better if they had given you the engine [at least a few weeks before] to try out prior to the contest. Then you could have had a chance to "debug" it or give it back to them with what issues you encountered.

Last edited by GallopingGhostler; 03-16-2015 at 04:49 AM. Reason: Added Clarification.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:45 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 263 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
Your welcome, Chris. Enlarged, that rubber band powered kit would make a nice easily built sport R/C aircraft.
No need to do that for the Ryan SC the plans are out there. Scale Plans and Photo Service ( http://www.scaleplansusa.com/ ) has the original Dick Katz 1/5th scale design 84" span. I based my design on the Katz plans and made mine more scale. Bob Holman Plans ( http://www.bhplans.com/MSPlansPg1.html ) has the Mammoth Scale plans (112" span) drawn by Jim Pepino. I purchased both sets and can say they are very similar designs (same scale errors). You can also find plans from the AMA Plan Service and the the free plans site outerzone ( http://www.outerzone.co.uk/ ). I once blew up the Coment plans to a .20 to .30 size but it wasn't the best looking design by a long shot.

Mike
Old 03-16-2015, 09:29 AM
GallopingGhostler

Actually, Mike, my reasoning is along simpler lines. Midwest used to make a set of warbird RC planes in the .40's size that were stand off scale easy to build models, sort of like Walt Musciano's stand way off scale Scientific 1/2-A CL jobs. I was thinking the easy to build with slab fuselage sides and bottom. That's where my thinking comes from, although I know what you mean. There are a lot of fine plane plans out there if someone wants a closer to scale appearance. For me, I like the simplicity, sort of the Curtiss "Robinhood" model available some years back.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:35 AM
FlyerInOKC

I've seen one like that I think it was on the outerzone site.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:45 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
Interesting. I found an Enya NVA on E-Bay, think I'll give that a shot.

Do you mean the Testors Series 21 Black Head engines? Sorry to hear of your CL loss. Would have been better if they had given you the engine [at least a few weeks before] to try out prior to the contest. Then you could have had a chance to "debug" it or give it back to them with what issues you encountered.
Yeah, I guess that was the name of them. Years ago! They asked (offered) way before the NATs, but I was at the top of my CL Stunt world about those several years, and I did not wish to try something new at the last minute. Comes a couple days or so before, and I said, OK. Dumb me!
That engine was simply a somewhat re-incarnated K & B. The K & B .40 was NOT a CL stunt engine but was a fantastic Free Flight engine, and was a choice of some of the CL Carrier, etc. I won the 1978 USAF World-Wide FF Class C using one, and did same with it at the annual 1971 Chicago Aeronuts Free Flight annual contest at the Bong Field ( which never was finished) just west of Milwaukee. Those were about my last times in Competition Free Flight. RC was my thing since I owned a Hobby Shop back then. In the 1971 and '72 Nats at Chicago, my young sons gathered FF Trophies, but old Dad missed out!
Old 03-17-2015, 11:52 AM
donnyman

Received 123 Likes on 96 Posts

Well guys I guess I am just a plans junkie. Reading your text got me on the Outerzone site and true to form I did three downloads, Cant seem to help myself, the plans are so nice!
Old 03-17-2015, 12:01 PM
FlyerInOKC

Well guys I guess I am just a plans junkie. Reading your text got me on the Outerzone site and true to form I did three downloads, Cant seem to help myself, the plans are so nice!
I am keeping you company in this addiction!
Old 03-17-2015, 03:13 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I am keeping you company in this addiction!
Welcome I need all the help I can get I just went thru the entire site and downloaded another 26 plans...............................Lovin it!
They will go on a special drive dedicated to all my keepers.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:16 PM
Redtail_Customs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just checked out the outer zone wow. . One question some of the plans shows one plan overlapping another. Do both sheets print out in full ?

Thanks Jim
Old 03-17-2015, 03:23 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Redtail_Customs
I just checked out the outer zone wow. . One question some of the plans shows one plan overlapping another. Do both sheets print out in full ?

Thanks Jim
Yes, just try a download it's easy! select the download page for the plan you want and follow the instructions.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:28 PM
Redtail_Customs

Ok thanks there is about 10 plans I want . The Nobler ukie is on top of the list

Jim
Old 03-17-2015, 04:53 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey anyone else here on RCU have a problem loading Web Pages (Supper Slow). When I click on the
"This thread is located at:"
It takes for ever to load and also when I hit (Post Quick Reply) it comes back with do u want to satay/leave the page. Any one else have these problems.
Don't mean to distract fromForum, but!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-17-2015, 07:52 PM
Jacksterman

Hey Donny, My first RC plane was a rudder only MAMBO with a FOX .15 engine. my best RC RECEIVER was a transistor CG Single Channel. My flying Buddy and I would buy Ambroid glue by the Pint can. We would buy Butyrate dope using an old Laquer 1/2 can. at Thomasville Airport near YORK, PA. I Covered the wings of my planes with rayon bandanas from the 5 & 10 cent store using dope.
I also flew a high wing VANGUARD made by Guillow Co. powered by an .049 Golden Bee. I like to talk about old flying days !!
Old 03-18-2015, 04:22 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Redtail_Customs
Ok thanks there is about 10 plans I want . The Nobler ukie is on top of the list

Jim
Have you gotten the plans you wanted? there is about three versions of the nobler on that site do a good search.

Last edited by donnyman; 03-18-2015 at 05:22 AM.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:22 AM
donnyman

HoundDog

yes I have had the problem several times, I'm guessing the system has it hiccup moments, i just wait it out.

Last edited by donnyman; 03-18-2015 at 04:39 AM.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:44 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Jacksterman
Hey Donny, My first RC plane was a rudder only MAMBO with a FOX .15 engine. my best RC RECEIVER was a transistor CG Single Channel. My flying Buddy and I would buy Ambroid glue by the Pint can. We would buy Butyrate dope using an old Laquer 1/2 can. at Thomasville Airport near YORK, PA. I Covered the wings of my planes with rayon bandanas from the 5 & 10 cent store using dope.
I also flew a high wing VANGUARD made by Guillow Co. powered by an .049 Golden Bee. I like to talk about old flying days !!
I had the same bird and engine combo but never flew or finished it finally gave it away back in 198? something ...Kinda regretted it.

You have arrived at the correct place to reminice....Welcome!

By the way plans for several sizes of the mambo are available free at the outerzone site.

Last edited by donnyman; 03-18-2015 at 05:07 AM.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:57 AM
GallopingGhostler

Thing I like about Outerzone is not only do they have US plans, but plans from other countries including UK. I didn't know how many wonderful and historic plans were available, the old Frog, Keil-Kraft, from just about every European country. Also they have captured the now long gone Japanese OK Model Pilot and Royal kits of yesteryear.

And who'd think, this plan from 1964 is as up to date today as it was then:

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=6412

And this one from 1955:

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=6414

We see electric Strykers flying today, but one of these at the field would turn heads still.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:13 AM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by Jacksterman
Hey Donny, My first RC plane was a rudder only MAMBO with a FOX .15 engine. my best RC RECEIVER was a transistor CG Single Channel. My flying Buddy and I would buy Ambroid glue by the Pint can. We would buy Butyrate dope using an old Lacquer 1/2 can. at Thomasville Airport near YORK, PA. I Covered the wings of my planes with rayon bandanas from the 5 & 10 cent store using dope.
I had the same bird and engine combo but never flew or finished it finally gave it away back in 198? something ...Kinda regretted it. You have arrived at the correct place to reminisce....Welcome!
Mambo would be an easy scratch build, with slab sides and constant chord wing. Haven't found plans yet of the Vanguard, seems a rarity indeed. I heard that with the lifting tail, the Mambo if it got too fast in a dive, would continue instead of pulling out, leading to disastrous results. DeBolt Livewire Kitten has a lifting tail too, but it is supposed to be able to do rudder only stunts. The 36 inch wingspan Minnie Mambo was an ideal half-A RO stunter, it would do 2 loops (2nd was not as round as the first) and barrel roll like crazy. Trick was building light by covering with silk and clear doping.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:18 AM
donnyman

The outerzone site is one of the places I go to fullfil my dreams though I may never get to assemble from these plans I do so much get a kick out of having them at my disposal to just gawk at.
What upset me was several plans I had previously payed for were there for free.

George H.
I think the site is located in the U.K. ............Womderful, just wonderful!

Last edited by donnyman; 03-18-2015 at 05:25 AM.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:34 AM
donnyman

George H.
The 36" mambo had a fuselage built like a sherman tank and would lend itself to much lightening. It contained a lot of block balsa. the slab sides could use some lightening holes with no ill effect.
I am totally unaware of it's flight charateristics but I have seen them fly on rudder only and do some pretty good stunts. It's all in the thumbs.

Last edited by donnyman; 03-18-2015 at 05:51 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.