Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 06:43 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Hey Jimmy: Glad to see someone knows what the Left thumb is for. U'd be Surprised at the number of Long Time R/C (I'll use the word) PILOTS, say they don't need "No Stink'N Rudder" That's for steering on the Ground only. Just stand next to some (PILOTS) while landing and watch their Left Thumb. I've seen guys (Not PILOTS) leave their left thumb compleatly off the stick and lying on the radio ounce the pull the power off, to land, till the plane is on the Ground. Unbelievable.
Yes, I can tell when one only knows how to use ailerons, watching the plane dance around the roll axis upon cross wind landing, when they could have used rudder and let it crab until ready to touchdown. Aileron only (unless plane has no rudder) is a good way to tear up wing tips.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:18 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
Well there are plenty to choose from!

If you want to build one the same as mine, the plan is available here:

http://flyingscalemodels.com/store/p...y-b-e-2e-plan/

And you can get a short-kit for it too. That's what I'm using for my own model.

PS. The cut parts are £130 and the price charged for sending the plan outside the UK is exorbitant! If anyone wants one let me know and I'll send it on to you at cost.

Alternatively you can download the plan from the Outerzone and then have an American laser cutter make up a kit for you. That would be a cheaper option.
Good looking bones on that airplane. The Royal Aircraft Factory made some beautiful airplanes during the war.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:08 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

I have found over the years that rudder control is a must for smooth flying, especially making approaches (which I love doing in cross winds) without proper rudder use it's a joke watching the wings dip to line up to the center line when the rudder will point you right to it. no need the mention knife edge.

my flight instructer gave me a hard time about my non useage of rudder in turns an it carried over to my models.......Practice, practice, practice!
Old 03-27-2015, 10:06 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

I'll admit that I've been spoiled recently by flying models which have required very little rudder input, so have got out of practice. I used to have a Flair Puppeteer, I had to use the rudder on that a great deal to nudge it round the corners. As my clubmate Tom said when I was packing up on Sunday, "There's probably nothing much wrong with the model. You're suffering from new model syndrome!"

On a different tack, having carried out many sensible grown-up tasks today, I decided to try to start the "Pinotage Purchases," the two engines which I bought in a drunken moment from eBay on Saturday night. The Laser 62 has no compression and will require further investigation, but the Enya 120 4C is a beauty, fired up very quickly and throttled beautifully once I'd adjusted the main needle to suit the prop and the homemade silencer is very effective. Picture attached.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Enya 120 4C.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	832.9 KB
ID:	2084486  
Old 03-27-2015, 12:36 PM
PBS_Rudder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started building rubber band models in 1938. In 1957 I built a TX. RX, and used the rubber band escapements, 1 click left 2 clicks right and 3 clicks engine idle. I remember the Kraft Reed RX, the Classic TX,and Testors glue. I have been in and out of RC since the 1950's where I belonged to a club in Indianapolis, IN.
I took my first airplane lesson in 1947, my uncle was a flight instructor. I have built 3 experimental aircraft and quit flying in 2005. So I am back into RC. I needed to almost start over, but it came back. I bought an Apprintest, T 28, Super Cub (added alerions) to get started again. I now have 2 3D foamies and a Yak 54 also. I love the hobby and I am starting an AMA Club in Maricopa, AZ All is welcome young and old. I have 4 AMA members so far. Come join me in sunny AZ.
Ron
Old 03-27-2015, 12:53 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PBS_Rudder
I started building rubber band models in 1938. In 1957 I built a TX. RX, and used the rubber band escapements, 1 click left 2 clicks right and 3 clicks engine idle. I remember the Kraft Reed RX, the Classic TX,and Testors glue. I have been in and out of RC since the 1950's where I belonged to a club in Indianapolis, IN.
I took my first airplane lesson in 1947, my uncle was a flight instructor. I have built 3 experimental aircraft and quit flying in 2005. So I am back into RC. I needed to almost start over, but it came back. I bought an Apprintest, T 28, Super Cub (added alerions) to get started again. I now have 2 3D foamies and a Yak 54 also. I love the hobby and I am starting an AMA Club in Maricopa, AZ All is welcome young and old. I have 4 AMA members so far. Come join me in sunny AZ.
Ron
No talk about warm Arizona ,it snowed here again this morning :-( I Did find this today on outerzone while it was snowing tho and have been wanting to build a electric one for a while now. joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	6409.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	2084515  
Old 03-27-2015, 05:18 PM
donnyman

Ron
My wife and I are considering returning the ARIZ. Which experimental have you built? I goofed and purchased a Jim Bede kit...you know that story! Welcome!
Old 03-27-2015, 05:20 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by joebahl
No talk about warm Arizona ,it snowed here again this morning :-( I Did find this today on outerzone while it was snowing tho and have been wanting to build a electric one for a while now. joe
JOE maybe you ought to move also, I was station in your state, Chanute A.F.B. and once is enough for me! Too Too cold for me.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:58 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For give me for the intrusion but this is very Important to the feature of our Hobby/Sport

http://www.apachejctwx.com/weather2/...p?p=10&lang=en
Old 03-28-2015, 06:13 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by HoundDog
For give me for the intrusion but this is very Important to the feature of our Hobby/Sport

http://www.apachejctwx.com/weather2/index.php?p=10&lang=en

Looks ok to me!
Old 03-28-2015, 08:24 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah, and here we sit - 31 degrees, windy. Might as well be winter again.

Sheesh!
Old 03-28-2015, 09:53 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Good looking bones on that airplane. The Royal Aircraft Factory made some beautiful airplanes during the war.
Shame that so many were so slow and vulnerable.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:31 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
JOE maybe you ought to move also, I was station in your state, Chanute A.F.B. and once is enough for me! Too Too cold for me.
Yep waiting for her to retire like i did already then its time to go man ,fast . joe
Old 03-28-2015, 02:55 PM
biam

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have found over the years that rudder control is a must for smooth flying, especially making approaches (which I love doing in cross winds) without proper rudder use it's a joke watching the wings dip to line up to the center line when the rudder will point you right to it. no need the mention knife edge.

my flight instructer gave me a hard time about my non useage of rudder in turns an it carried over to my models.......Practice, practice, practice!
That's why I fly my cub a few times each time I go to the field. Flat turns keep my fingers in practice using the rudder and opposite ailerons. Sure looks good!
Old 03-28-2015, 03:14 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I didn't look but it must be close to 90 today with just a mild breeze here today. Had the air conditioner on in the car for the first time this year when I had to drive from the strip to state line. Flying tomorrow morning. then the pool in the afternoon.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:18 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
Yeah, and here we sit - 31 degrees, windy. Might as well be winter again.

Sheesh!
Other end of the country is/was 95 & light winds but it's a DRY HEAT in PHX @ Sun Valley Flyers
https://oeaf.org/ Sun Valley Fliers Field, 2018 E Daley Ln

Phoenix, AZ 85024

33.723385, -112.017562 <------ copy and paste GPS Coords in Googe maps and click Satellite vies
Old 03-28-2015, 03:34 PM
PBS_Rudder

Well Az is hot in the summer, but you can't beat the winters. It is just now getting to the mid 80's and low 90's. Humidity is less than 10% very dry. I have built a Bede 4 with extended wings with a IO360 180hp, cruse 180 mph, 2 Glassair's a tail dragger, 0320 160 hp and a retrack, the retrack cruse 250 mph, full IFR glass cockpit, 3 axis auto pilot, IO360 205 hp extra oil sump with cooling fins, ram air injection, naca duck oil cooler with exit louvers, fully acro, many mods, climbed at 3300 ft/pm a nice article in the Nov 1994 Kitplanes "Ron's One Hot Glassair". I miss flying my Glassair Retrack.
Ron
Old 03-28-2015, 03:40 PM
PBS_Rudder

I have built a Bede 4 with extended wings with a IO360 180hp, cruse 180 mph, 2 Glassair's a tail dragger, 0320 160 hp and a retrack, the retrack cruse 250 mph, full IFR glass cockpit, 3 axis auto pilot, IO360 205 hp extra oil sump with cooling fins, ram air injection, naca duck oil cooler with exit louvers, fully acro, many mods, climbed at 3300 ft/pm a nice article in the Nov 1994 Kitplanes "Ron's One Hot Glassair". I miss flying my Glassair Retrack.
Ron
Old 03-28-2015, 07:45 PM
donnyman

PBS_rudder

You are fortunate to have picked the right bird when you picked the bede 4, I have seen a few and all that had them seemed happy with them. Now that glassair is one sweet bird is that the one built at the old williams A.F.B. site?
Old 03-28-2015, 08:07 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by biam
That's why I fly my cub a few times each time I go to the field. Flat turns keep my fingers in practice using the rudder and opposite ailerons. Sure looks good!
the Austin RC Association had a all piper cub meet today! I saw three of the biggest cub models ever, 10-12 span
Old 03-29-2015, 12:57 AM
busted2props
My Feedback: (9)

This has nothing to do with the current discussion but I want to add it anyway. My poor ol' Ace 4-40 has been to re-kit and back. You know those funny looks on the face when you plow one in for no reason? Yep, into a gravel pit. Damage? New prop! More? Okay, into trees, hung for about 30 seconds and fell back to earth. Damage? Packing tape to the wing, refuel and fly! This poor ol' plane is more than 15 years old (and so is the O. S. 40fp) and still wants to go. I love this hobby. Just wish the more expensive planes would last as long!!!
Old 03-29-2015, 05:37 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by busted2props
This has nothing to do with the current discussion but I want to add it anyway. My poor ol' Ace 4-40 has been to re-kit and back. You know those funny looks on the face when you plow one in for no reason? Yep, into a gravel pit. Damage? New prop! More? Okay, into trees, hung for about 30 seconds and fell back to earth. Damage? Packing tape to the wing, refuel and fly! This poor ol' plane is more than 15 years old (and so is the O. S. 40fp) and still wants to go. I love this hobby. Just wish the more expensive planes would last as long!!!
I know what you mean, I have several birds that were good flyers but seemed to fly better after they got whacked once or twice, my kaos is over thirty yrs old been whacked ten -fifteen times and is the best flying bird I have.....or is it just me?
Old 03-29-2015, 06:18 AM
Calvinman

LOL I know what you mean donnyman, maybe it is because we are more relaxed at the sticks flying our "beaters"

Calvi
Old 03-29-2015, 06:57 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Calvinman
LOL I know what you mean donnyman, maybe it is because we are more relaxed at the sticks flying our "beaters"

Calvi
I am not sure, My friend bought a Byron mig-15 it looked like a P.O.S. just terrible, he fuel it up and out flew everything at the field I never saw one fly better. I had the opurtunity to purchase it before him and I surely wanted it but it was so raggedy I had to decline. It was also very fast. go figure!
Old 03-29-2015, 07:23 AM
HoundDog

Well Az is hot in the summer, but you can't beat the winters. It is just now getting to the mid 80's and low 90's. Humidity is less than 10% very dry. I have built a Bede 4 with extended wings with a IO360 180hp, cruse 180 mph, 2 Glassair's a tail dragger, 0320 160 hp and a retrack, the retrack cruse 250 mph, full IFR glass cockpit, 3 axis auto pilot, IO360 205 hp extra oil sump with cooling fins, ram air injection, naca duck oil cooler with exit louvers, fully acro, many mods, climbed at 3300 ft/pm a nice article in the Nov 1994 Kitplanes "Ron's One Hot Glassair". I miss flying my Glassair Retrack.
Ron
Ron, Do U need some one to ride right seat while U keep up UR IFR Currency? Last spring a friends dad gave me a ride in his Lance Air P4 350 HP twin turbo Pressurized & Full Glass ... Sure feel it (set's ya back in the seat) when ya start down the runway pulling 35" of MP. Break Ground at 90 and climbs conservatively at over 3k fpm. I thought he said it Trues out at around 290K at FL190. OH well I spent more time with my head in the cockpit trying to figure out the Glass Panel and what it was trying to tell ya. I'm an O'l Steam Gauge kinda guy my self. My GPS on the car dash even has an HSI.
If UR in AZ did ya go to the 1/8 Air Force fly in yesterday at SVF. I had a young lady buy & hold a Raffle Ticket for me ad guess what they Pulled that Ticket so I gave her A crisp new 20 and had to have a friend take the Waco By Plane home for me cause I had no room in the Van - Too full of planes to get the big box in. Keep the Greasy side down and do your GUMP check on short final again.

Last edited by HoundDog; 03-29-2015 at 07:25 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.