Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 03-29-2015, 10:47 AM
PBS_Rudder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That glassair and few others was built at old Williams Field by Phoenix Composits, Dace Kirk. We were friends and when they kicked him out he went to Falcon Field where I was finishing my Glassair. My Avitar pic is at Falcon Field, with Red Mountian in the background Mesa, AZ. That pic was before I had did any mods. After the mods I ran a race starting at St. Johns to Woodworth to a silo south then back to St. Johns a 100 miles triangle course. I avg 255mph at 5500 alt.mp only 24 psi so was only running at 75% power. Came in second cut my turn to wide at the silo, so my good friend Roger beat me at an avg of 262 mph, he was 1 plane length in front at the finish.
Ron
Old 03-29-2015, 10:54 AM
PBS_Rudder

HoundDog I gave up Flying in 2005 I am 82 and yes the number came up on my RC Yak 54, not much left except the tail feathers and the wing it was 4 inches deep in the dirt, riped the caps out of the esc and smached the RX. I went to the Elecrtic Fest saw some great demos.
Ron
Old 03-29-2015, 03:43 PM
Robinaire
My Feedback: (23)

Default iS 89 OLD ENOUGH???

Hi Donny. I have you beat by a little bit! I built my first model, a Comet Miles Hawk, in 1936 at the ripe pld age of 10! I'll be back! Lee Robinson West Palm Beach, FL
Old 03-29-2015, 05:19 PM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by PBS_Rudder
That glassair and few others was built at old Williams Field by Phoenix Composits, Dace Kirk. We were friends and when they kicked him out he went to Falcon Field where I was finishing my Glassair. My Avitar pic is at Falcon Field, with Red Mountian in the background Mesa, AZ. That pic was before I had did any mods. After the mods I ran a race starting at St. Johns to Woodworth to a silo south then back to St. Johns a 100 miles triangle course. I avg 255mph at 5500 alt.mp only 24 psi so was only running at 75% power. Came in second cut my turn to wide at the silo, so my good friend Roger beat me at an avg of 262 mph, he was 1 plane length in front at the finish.
Ron
We stopped by Williams on our return from Vegas it did not look the same to me, except my old barrack and chow hall was still standing.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:26 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Robinaire
Hi Donny. I have you beat by a little bit! I built my first model, a Comet Miles Hawk, in 1936 at the ripe pld age of 10! I'll be back! Lee Robinson West Palm Beach, FL
You got me beat by a lot!.......you were putting them together five years before I took my first breath and ten year before my dad opened my eyes to aviation.
Welcome aboard! when was your first successful flight? As I remember the kits back then didn't fly very well
Old 03-29-2015, 06:36 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by donnyman
We stopped by Williams on our return from Vegas it did not look the same to me, except my old barrack and chow hall was still standing.
Donnyman the same thing with (Only Really dilapidated) the Old K.I.Sawyer Base 25 Miles South of Marquette Mich.
I was there from may 65 to 9 Sept. 1968 at 11:33 am EST. But who was keeping track. Been there a couple times with
about 13 Guys stationed there in the late 60's, that together every 2 years some place. Last time was 5 years ago. The Golf course was still active but the Barracks and the Housing Area were really in terrible condition. Doors open windows broken Just run down.Guess they let People on welfare live there for a while. K.I. Sawyer AFB was officially closed at the end of September 1995. Our old Hound Dog hagers are know an Aluminum Extrusion Plant. and the base is know the Marquette County Air Port.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:42 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Donnyman the same thing with (Only Really dilapidated) the Old K.I.Sawyer Base 25 Miles South of Marquette Mich.
I was there from may 65 to 9 Sept. 1968 at 11:33 am EST. But who was keeping track. Been there a couple times with
about 13 Guys stationed there in the late 60's, that together every 2 years some place. Last time was 5 years ago. The Golf course was still active but the Barracks and the Housing Area were really in terrible condition. Doors open windows broken Just run down.Guess they let People on welfare live there for a while. K.I. Sawyer AFB was officially closed at the end of September 1995. Our old Hound Dog hagers are know an Aluminum Extrusion Plant. and the base is know the Marquette County Air Port.
For sure if the need ever arises (and I pray it doesn't) we will have plenty of airbases to operate from. The people on welfare probably didn't do as much damage as the usual vandals that show up.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:55 AM
donnyman

Tell me why is it after retirement I got busier than when Working every day I will never catch up on my honeydo's much less finish all the models I want to build no sooner something is fixed or completed four or five other things pop up for me to do...........Am I the only one suffering with this phenomenon?
Old 03-31-2015, 09:57 AM
PBS_Rudder

nope I too am suffering this phenomenon. Seems I never get caught up.
I remember the tissue covered models, after I got tired if trying to fly them I would attach a cherry bomb and end its flying status. Those were the good old days. I built my first model in 1938 sticks and tissue only 6 years old. I have been hooked on models every since. Started out in Free Flight with a Playboy Jr. with a McCoy Redhead .19 the plane was meant to be class B, but the engine made it a class A. I launced ROG watched it go strait up out of site never to be found again at a contest in Richmond, IN and yes the dethemalater activated after 10 min but had no effect still came in second in class A. The wind was strong so most crashed.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:13 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 267 Likes on 234 Posts

I'll never forget what my neighbor told me. He had been retired for about two months and was wondering where he ever found time to work for a living!
Old 04-01-2015, 04:31 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by PBS_Rudder
nope I too am suffering this phenomenon. Seems I never get caught up.
I remember the tissue covered models, after I got tired if trying to fly them I would attach a cherry bomb and end its flying status. Those were the good old days. I built my first model in 1938 sticks and tissue only 6 years old. I have been hooked on models every since. Started out in Free Flight with a Playboy Jr. with a McCoy Redhead .19 the plane was meant to be class B, but the engine made it a class A. I launced ROG watched it go strait up out of site never to be found again at a contest in Richmond, IN and yes the dethemalater activated after 10 min but had no effect still came in second in class A. The wind was strong so most crashed.
I had and now have a Fubar free flight. in my earlt teen I was too chicken to fly it. Maybe I'll get the one have now in the air it's built from plans
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	fubar 1.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	775.2 KB
ID:	2085594  
Old 04-01-2015, 04:34 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I'll never forget what my neighbor told me. He had been retired for about two months and was wondering where he ever found time to work for a living!
YEAH! ... me too!
Old 04-01-2015, 05:12 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the cherry bomb idea...that'd make a great dethermalizer! I usually just burnt mine on the driveway.

I built a FUBAR too but I f(*)ouled it up beyond all recognition.

Jim
Old 04-01-2015, 06:47 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

DTell me why is it after retirement I got busier than when Working every dayonnyman:

PBS_Rudder: nope I too am suffering this phenomenon. Seems I never get caught up.

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC

YEAH! ... me too!
U Guys gota be doing some thing wrong.
The day I started My Tool & Die makers Apprenticeship Harry Miller (1 of 2 Bosses) came up to me at the Band saw and said "We usually work 7 to 5:30 and 5 hrs on saturday can U do that? That started 13 years of 55+ hour weeks.
When I started in a big shop Tool room it (covered 6 foot ball fields ).+ production area, There were these OLD guys that had worked 8, 10, 12 hours a day for 20 days straight fo ever (WWII War board required 1 sunday in 3 off). Well after 50+ years of this they'ed retire. Some would come back in a month or two, to see the other OLD guys. Most made the comment "I'm so Busy I don't know how I every had time to come to work" ... I was afraid to retire ... I didn't want ta work that Hard.
Retirement is made for Doing NOTHING & and I do nothing Real Well, If I do nothing real well today I'll have all that Nothing to do tomorrow. Ta know what Tomorrow never comes. Ain't even started my Taxes, Fixed my Trailer started to Clean this place, or pack to go home to Wisconsin. Gota get "ROUNDTOIT) real soon now. OH HE[[ there's always tomorrow. That is till they close the Lid and through dirt on ya .... then it don.t matter any more.... OH heck I think I'd better SSS and go to the Field. Maybe I'll shock someone and actully fly one of my own planes. Been mostly instructing. Some O'l gezers take longer than some ya know.

If ya can save ti till tomorrow all the better. ya'll never (DAM forgot what I was gona say) but that's a whole other topic. Ain't it.
Gone Flying
Old 04-01-2015, 08:56 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by buzzard bait
I like the cherry bomb idea...that'd make a great dethermalizer! I usually just burnt mine on the driveway.

I built a FUBAR too but I f(*)ouled it up beyond all recognition.

Jim
build another !
Old 04-01-2015, 09:10 AM
donnyman

HOUND DOG

I like the way you think The nothing thing works for a while here too but My honey got honeydo's and I gotta sleep with her soooooooo ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Truth be known I can pretty much do as I please as long as the honeydo's get did.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:16 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

HOUND DOG, I like the way you think The nothing thing works for a while here too but My honey got honeydo's and I gotta sleep with her soooooooo ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Truth be known I can pretty much do as I please as long as the honeydo's get did.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:23 PM
rt3232

Well I still work part time just to pay for the hobby and dinners out. but for the rest if the honey's do's get did like Donny said I am good to go.

Cheers Bob T
Old 04-02-2015, 06:19 AM
FlyerInOKC

I'm in the working to get ready for retirement stage. I'll have the house paid off in December so I can start wiping out misc CC debt. I am working with a handyman on weekends to complete the last big home improvement project, a remodel the bathroom. He cried uncle to quit first on Sunday. That was an ego booster, I have 20+ years on him. Just had the carpet replaced, I'm planning on retiring at 67 but I'll probably pull a Robert and work part time as long as I'm able. In retirement I hope to build a lot more between honeydos.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:18 AM
rt3232

Well I have tried retirement TWICE and after the honey-do's got done and the yard looking good Just doing the hobby got boring as I am not a fresh water fisher person or Golfer, and now with the wife's and my health problem our traveling is pretty much over except for shout trips.
So a part time job seams to work out good for us/me, but some days the body is telling me to slow down, and the mind is saying keep moving. So there you have it.
As soon as I finish painting my repaired Corsair and Week's, My next project is to bash a BUSA 1/4 cub kit into a clipped wing super cub, at this time I am not to sure how much scale I might put into it other than the out lines, been saving a lot of pic's and notes from a great build by Leroy Gardner, will just have to wait and see/

Cheers Bob T

Cheers Bob T
Old 04-02-2015, 07:26 AM
FlyerInOKC

I figure a Part Time job will keep me stimulated and out of the wife's hair for a bit. Add in a deeper appreciation for quality hobby time and it should work out.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:44 AM
donnyman

Gentlemen I have been retired since 1992 at 55. and I can tell you all the plans I had about building and such was a waste of time, somehow it just don't go like that! I even got bored with building and flying ....For a while! but the honeydo's kept me going. And no way, GOD willing, I will ever work for anyone again.

Flyerinokc

You have the right idea getting the house paid off and clearing up all bills, IT WORKS! I've been out of debt for years and now I can get what I want pretty much when I want, it is a real good feeling. I'm even able to put a little away for big items. Now believe me, I don't get much in bucks but then I don't need much. (that's the trick) If you can't pay cash you can't afford it is my way of thinking, and it has served me well. I feel being in debt is much like slavery, something that goes totally against my grain. If you want to know who owns it - miss a payment!....... just like taxes.

HEY this soap box is getting a bit too high for me.............seeya later!
The following users liked this post:
Believer (02-01-2021)
Old 04-02-2015, 11:12 AM
Redtail_Customs

I been retired a year house is paid off bought a new truck paid cash only bills are the Normal utility stuff . . Having a second garage/ shop built 24x30 . Life's good

Jim
Old 04-02-2015, 10:51 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts

If my notoriously inadequate IT skills are up to it, herewith a bit of footage of my BE2e in flight yesterday afternoon. It's mainly a series of shakey left-hand circuits, my right-hand circuits were even worse! It is not an easy model to fly and the best part of the flight was the landing and the taxi back to the pits which the cameraman didn't capture! I plan to introduce some down-thrust on the engine to reduce the model's tendency to zoom under power and to replace the single central servo with two smaller metal geared servos in order to be able to arrange aileron differential more easily. We did notice that the aileron pushrod had become disconnected before we flew it and apologies to French speakers as I'm always confusing the word for "fourteen" (quatorze) with "forty" (quarante!)

I love that scale exhaust but you are prone to getting a face-full of unburned methanol when carrying the model to the runway!

https://vimeo.com/123989510
Old 04-03-2015, 03:54 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Redtail_Customs
I been retired a year house is paid off bought a new truck paid cash only bills are the Normal utility stuff . . Having a second garage/ shop built 24x30 . Life's good

Jim
You will be in good shape................A shop is in the works on my place also, gotta protect my motorhome and models, my current shop is over crowded. Good luck to you,live well!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.