Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 10:13 AM
PBS_Rudder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to my daughters for dinner in Tempe, but won't be flying this Easter Sun. At 82 I act like I am 60 lol having a great time.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:41 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Well, I did it again going off topic, LOL. Just fixed up my 2nd Testors McCoy .35 Red Head with an Evo .46 remote NVA. Fits rear bolt pattern perfectly. Ran it 8 times on my test stand with 1 oz. fuel tank on 15% RC fuel with Castor oil added to give 10% Castor and 25% oil total. Engine runs like a pipe dream at 1.5 clicks (turns), at an intoxicating 4 cycle breaking barely into 2. I've got me another winner! (Leaving head in naked aluminum for better cooling.)

And those HSP Taiwan N3 4C hot glow plugs work really well in this McCoy. (Swanson Fireball Red Hot standard is temporarily placed in the left bottom bubble.)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	McCoy35RH No2 w-RNVA.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	2086699   Click image for larger version

Name:	McCoy35RH No2 w-RNVA Back.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	2086700   Click image for larger version

Name:	McCoy35RH No2 w-RNVA Running.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	2086701   Click image for larger version

Name:	HSP Taiwan N3 Plugs2.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	2086702  

Last edited by GallopingGhostler; 04-05-2015 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:20 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Speaking of blasts from the past I was cleaning out the other day and found two new OS Wankel glowplugs for a first generation OS Wankel engine. They came in cute little boxes back then. I may give one to my LHS to display in his antique engine case beside his first generation Wankel.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:27 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
On 60' lines with that .35 powered Sterling Kit S-2 Mustang, I don't think he'll get dizzy, except from the fun.
I built the Sterling P-51 in about 1953 with coupled flaps and powered it with a K&B Greenhead .29. As my first big very aerobatic CL model it didn't last long. But, I went on and flew CL stunt and combat, and then RC in 1983 with my son. Still fly RC and am finishing the build of a 70's era CAP P-47. I have three grand-kids that are interested in flying and my stuff will go them eventually, if it survives their learning experiences,

Sincerely, Richard
Old 04-07-2015, 07:23 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Speaking of blasts from the past I was cleaning out the other day and found two new OS Wankel glowplugs for a first generation OS Wankel engine. They came in cute little boxes back then. I may give one to my LHS to display in his antique engine case beside his first generation Wankel.
Hey that's great! I have Three of those very engines and a set of plugs would be nice. Make me a price I will put them to work. I flew a Royal B-25 back in the seventies with them. great engines.

I can use any other parts for the same engines if anyone has them.

Last edited by donnyman; 04-07-2015 at 08:02 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:30 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by spaceworm
I built the Sterling P-51 in about 1953 with coupled flaps and powered it with a K&B Greenhead .29. As my first big very aerobatic CL model it didn't last long. But, I went on and flew CL stunt and combat, and then RC in 1983 with my son. Still fly RC and am finishing the build of a 70's era CAP P-47. I have three grand-kids that are interested in flying and my stuff will go them eventually, if it survives their learning experiences,

Sincerely, Richard
Hello Richard!
I flew the sterling mustang about the same time in Brooklyn N.Y. it wasn't the fastest thing but it was a lot stronger than my buddies flight streak. amid air proved that. lotta memories. I've recently downloaded the plans for it and intend to put another together probably in the time frame of the year 3006 I have a lot of other projects so I collect the plans.

Enjoy!..................Donny
Old 04-07-2015, 11:00 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by donnyman
Hey that's great! I have Three of those very engines and a set of plugs would be nice. Make me a price I will put them to work. I flew a Royal B-25 back in the seventies with them. great engines.

I can use any other parts for the same engines if anyone has them.
Donny if your really interested in buying them send me a PM. They don't make them anymore as far as I know. I bought these as spares back about the mid 70s when I bought the engine and then I sold the unflown plane with engine back about 79 or 80. They are in little boxes with the OS label and marked for the Wankel. I thought of them as more collector's items then anything else. I couldn't begin to price them.

Mike
Old 04-07-2015, 11:13 AM
GallopingGhostler

I built the Sterling P-51 in about 1953 with coupled flaps and powered it with a K&B Greenhead .29. As my first big very aerobatic CL model it didn't last long. But, I went on and flew CL stunt and combat, and then RC in 1983 with my son. Still fly RC and am finishing the build of a 70's era CAP P-47. I have three grand-kids that are interested in flying and my stuff will go them eventually, if it survives their learning experiences, Sincerely, Richard
I built the same in 1974 and covered it with chrome Monokote powered with a Testors McCoy .19 Red Head. It flew trainer like but was my first large model. Previous was half-A ukies. It had much better wind penetration than the half-A's. May another one of these days build another, but powered with something stronger. Wanted to do ukie with my son when he was 11 - 13, but he had a problem with excessive dizziness when turning, hence why we never explored it further. Now that I have an almost 2 YO grandson, could be a possibility 8 years from now.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:23 PM
spaceworm

Hello Richard!
I flew the sterling mustang about the same time in Brooklyn N.Y. it wasn't the fastest thing but it was a lot stronger than my buddies flight streak. amid air proved that. lotta memories. I've recently downloaded the plans for it and intend to put another together probably in the time frame of the year 3006 I have a lot of other projects so I collect the plans.

Enjoy!..................Donny
Hi Donny,

I don't do well anymore turning in quick circles, so a CL version is not for me. However, for nostalgia's sake, can you tell me where you found the plans? I have toyed with converting some of the CL designs I flew into RC; this could be a candidate for profile RC. Thanks and keep your lines tight.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 04-07-2015, 08:00 PM
donnyman

Hi Donny,

I don't do well anymore turning in quick circles, so a CL version is not for me. However, for nostalgia's sake, can you tell me where you found the plans? I have toyed with converting some of the CL designs I flew into RC; this could be a candidate for profile RC. Thanks and keep your lines tight.

Sincerely, Richard
Try the outerzone free plan site it's loaded.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:56 AM
donnyman

Spaceworm

I looked everywhere for the mustang plans and can't find them. I know I have them because I have a full size print out of them the search will continue.

There is a vintage site on rcu that has a lot of downloadable plans tried last night and the system acted weird and I couldn't find anything.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:25 AM
spaceworm

Spaceworm

I looked everywhere for the mustang plans and can't find them. I know I have them because I have a full size print out of them the search will continue.

There is a vintage site on rcu that has a lot of downloadable plans tried last night and the system acted weird and I couldn't find anything.
Hi, thanks for looking. I will look also and report back if I find them. I might even have the original plans for my build in 1953. Good luck to me for finding them!

Sincerely, Richard
Old 04-08-2015, 08:36 AM
9thumbs

When I bought my Sterling Mustang (1983?) i also bought silver monocoat to cover it with. I have decided to use the silkspan that came with the kit. I remember how to do that. Over the 30 years this thing has sat half built in the attic, I still seem to have all the bits.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:38 AM
9thumbs

If it's the 38 inch wingspan Sterling profile mustang you are looking for plans for. I'd be happy to copy them (onto many 8 1/2 X 11 sheets) and send them along
Old 04-08-2015, 09:17 AM
FlyerInOKC

OK here is a little bit of nostalgia for you. Donny had asked me about some spare glowplugs for the first generation OS Wankel rotary engine. I managed to find them again still stapled in the plastic bag the LHS put them in when I purchased them. I had to cut the bag open because the open end had fused with age. In the interest of full disclosure and because everyone could use a good laugh this is the original purchase receipt from the LHS in the center.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100673.JPG
Views:	313
Size:	2.62 MB
ID:	2087210  
Old 04-09-2015, 03:00 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

OMG! Just having the memory of those plugs costs more than that today. GREAT recovery!!

That's cool stuff.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:24 AM
GallopingGhostler

Recently I bought 10 HSP Taiwan N3 Hot plugs for $26 shipping included off E-Bay for $26. That is $2.60 each and a bargain. I remember buying Swanson Associates Fireball Red Hot standard plugs for under a buck a pop. Times have changed, now it isn't unusual to spend over $5 for a plug.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:02 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Donny,

Sincerely, Richard
Rich try this
https://www.google.com/search?q=ster...0QsAQ&dpr=1.25
I also built and flew the Sterling P-51 Some time after Sept 9 1968 at 11:33 EST when I Left the USAF after just 4 years minus an hour an one half. But the Sterling P-51 is what got me back into the Hobby/Sport. Bought the House I grew up in from My Mom& Dad in '84.Well some time in 85 or 86 My then 9 year old son found it hanging on the basement wall. It had a Fox 36X frosen up motor. I tlod him if he would take it all apart with out breaking any gaskets and soak it and pt it back together we'd try to repair it and fly it. I'd given every thing but one set of lines and a adjustable red handle to a cousi be for I went in the USAF.
Well we Jouined the Circle masters in Menomonee Falls, WI.
I Remember a guy, Art Webber, Great Man, He tried to teach David My son to do a loop well david must have been stronger than art because David did his preveriable figure 9 and destroyed two of Art's planes, Tried to pay Art for Them but he'd have nothing to do with that. Long story after getting Like a lot of Kids at 17 he found Girls and cars.
Foot Note He gave up GIRLS for Cars from 21 to 35 years old. H ounce told me Pops ... "I can't afford both besides I can fix my cars and they don't Whine". An he refers to his latest Squeeze as "Rat Crap Crazy" Don't expect that to last long.

Last edited by HoundDog; 04-09-2015 at 06:05 AM.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:59 AM
donnyman

OK here is a little bit of nostalgia for you. Donny had asked me about some spare glowplugs for the first generation OS Wankel rotary engine. I managed to find them again still stapled in the plastic bag the LHS put them in when I purchased them. I had to cut the bag open because the open end had fused with age. In the interest of full disclosure and because everyone could use a good laugh this is the original purchase receipt from the LHS in the center.

Well I'll be! I trashed some of the boxes in one of my cleaning frenzies not too long ago! Didn't pay much attention to em just chunked em
I purchased the wankels especially for the royal B-25 back in the 70's I built a stunt ship for a guy that was a dealer for them. I only wish I had more parts for them now, they were great running and powerful enough for some serious stunt with the B-25 They are stored in the original boxes.

I had a Heathkit radio in it and the batteries died. one cell just gave up and the results were sickening.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:39 AM
FlyerInOKC

Donny, which Heathkit radio did you have? The old 3 channel dual stick with the KPS-9 servos is what I started with.

Mike
Old 04-09-2015, 08:19 AM
donnyman

Donny, which Heathkit radio did you have? The old 3 channel dual stick with the KPS-9 servos is what I started with.

Mike
Five channel two stick, not sure of the servos. the first good proportional radio I could rely on,......once I got good batteries.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:32 AM
FlyerInOKC

Probably Kraft designed KPS-10s if you bought the radio after 1970. I got my Heathkit back in 1972 as a project for a high school electronics class (It seemed the best way to talk the folks into buying me an R/C radio). Mine was on close out because the new sing stick 3 and 4 channel had come out with the smaller servos. I got the radio set kit and a kit for the third servo thrown in for only $135, which according to the inflation calculator I tried is over $700 in purchasing power in 2015 dollars! OUCH! Still wierder is according to the same calculator the user Kraft 5 channel I bought for $235 is equivalent to over $900 in today's dollars. Can these things be right? A 7C FAAST can be had for $299.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:08 AM
donnyman

Probably Kraft designed KPS-10s if you bought the radio after 1970. I got my Heathkit back in 1972 as a project for a high school electronics class (It seemed the best way to talk the folks into buying me an R/C radio). Mine was on close out because the new sing stick 3 and 4 channel had come out with the smaller servos. I got the radio set kit and a kit for the third servo thrown in for only $135, which according to the inflation calculator I tried is over $700 in purchasing power in 2015 dollars! OUCH! Still wierder is according to the same calculator the user Kraft 5 channel I bought for $235 is equivalent to over $900 in today's dollars. Can these things be right? A 7C FAAST can be had for $299.
I don't pay much attention to what equivalant prices are it's like antiques and stuff, a Rembrant to me is just old junk.

Looking through my junk collection I found four different assembly manuals for Heathkits The radio manuals went with the radios I sold. One could scratch build a Radio useing those manuals.

I do miss the Heathkits, and will miss Radio Shack as well.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:11 AM
9thumbs

So yesterday I went to the local hobby store (real big in cars) and asked for sanding sealer. He showed me a tiny bottle and said it was the last one "can't get that anymore".

I found it online, but i also found that you can't find colored dope. If i use clear dope to tighten and strengthen the silkspan, can I then spray it with Top Flite spray stuff?

It looks like everything is going to be mail order from now on. He is the only hobby shop any where near me.

I guess this is what happens if you walk away from a hobby and come back thirty something years later. Serves me right.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:38 AM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by 9thumbs
I guess this is what happens if you walk away from a hobby and come back thirty something years later. Serves me right.
Nope. Everything has gone to ARF's and what builds there are have gone to plastic film coverings. Dope is more or less a thing of the past, unless you build control line airplanes or free flights.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.