Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 08:49 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

The way the schools were organized is you went to a high school based on what you wanted to do. He went to Aviation HS and learned to be a mechanic and then did on the job training with AA to get his A7 P license. A lot of the tools he still had were bought in Tulsa when the Army Air force set surplus tools to be sold at salvage prices in a hanger after the war. The school system was still that way in NY when my wife graduated in 1973.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:49 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by tsolson55
First hobby experance for me was the "Cox PT Trainer", a 0.49 glow plug engine trainer. The wings and engine were held on/in with rubber bands. Moved up to balsa planes from there, and I was hooked.
I remember that trainer I helped a person to fly one in a school yard as I remember the rubber bands did not last for long due to the fuel eating them up.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:04 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
The way the schools were organized is you went to a high school based on what you wanted to do. He went to Aviation HS and learned to be a mechanic and then did on the job training with AA to get his A7 P license. A lot of the tools he still had were bought in Tulsa when the Army Air force set surplus tools to be sold at salvage prices in a hanger after the war. The school system was still that way in NY when my wife graduated in 1973.
I always felt the school system in N.Y.C was top notch. the course I got went into details of metallurgy and oil production and refining From the oil wells and metal mines on to built up planes. we had quite a bit of metal forming also. but I was fortunate enough to have my grades high enough (in aviation) to get into flight training (ground school and flight simulator). Highschool was a happy time in my life. the school of Aviation had higher requirements than mine and was located on or very near a airport, I was very envious of the Cessna 310 they got from The airforce.

my school has been convert into a school of criminal justice, seems right for a all boy school.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:09 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 9thumbs
So yesterday I went to the local hobby store (real big in cars) and asked for sanding sealer. He showed me a tiny bottle and said it was the last one "can't get that anymore".

I found it online, but i also found that you can't find colored dope. If i use clear dope to tighten and strengthen the silkspan, can I then spray it with Top Flite spray stuff?

It looks like everything is going to be mail order from now on. He is the only hobby shop any where near me.

I guess this is what happens if you walk away from a hobby and come back thirty something years later. Serves me right.
Well U can't buy a new, off the Production Line, Model "T" either. 99.99% of modern things in this hobby/sport are hands down far,far better than any of those old R/C Equipment. (Not so for Fridgs/stovs/washing machines. ECT.) There are not a lot of People that build their Own Full Scale planes that ever get off the ground either. A lot are started most never get finishad. ALLA BD-5 Jet.
Many Scratch and Kilt built Models flew very well. But Try to make a fiber glass Fuse with out a mold or a foam R/C ducted fan JET that does close to 100 MPH for 280 shipped Only a receiver and batts needed.
Ya some of the older (I'm 72 today) miss the old days, Gimme my %& chevy back I could cool a Case of Pabst in front of the radiator and I could also fix it. That's what I really miss "Fixing My Own Car... NOT. That I have a 37 year old Son (that loves fixing cars/trucks/Mudder/Drag Cars) to do it for.
ANYWAY
JMHO and the spllr ckkr is brok'n too any one know how to turn it on in Google Chrome?
Old 04-10-2015, 04:47 PM
HoundDog

Every AMA member should of gotten this Notic from the AMA Read it Watch it And Comment on the NPRM before April 24th. It's Vital to our hoby with what the FAA wants and will do if we don't make objection to it ... For those that belive the NPRM as written and feature FAR's it will make DO NOT only pertain to Comerical Use of sUAS and TOY MODEL AIR PLANES. It (if inacted as written into FAR's it will out lay any thing over 55 lbs any thing over 87 MPH Max altitude 500' ext.

Please read and watch the video and then comment to the FAA before ther take yout TOY airplanes away or make tham Useless and worthless, if they can. Government will take anything U don't veitmently protect.

U should of recieved this today but check It out Here.

http://view.exacttarget.com/?j=fe561...0575741372&r=0

[TABLE="class: link-enhancr-element, width: 450"]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #E5E5E5, colspan: 8"]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #E5E5E5"]
[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #000000"]
[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #E5E5E5"]
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[TD="colspan: 2"]
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[TD="width: 1, bgcolor: #E5E5E5"]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 2"]Take Action to Help Preserve Model Aviation's Future. Comment on the FAA NPRM.

[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]View on view.exacttarget.com
[/TD]
[TD]
Preview by Yahoo
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #E5E5E5, colspan: 8"]

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Last edited by HoundDog; 04-10-2015 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:42 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey Donnie! Just to let you know, koverall is alive and well - just received mine today from SIG, along with a box full of clear, stix-it and thinner for my Stratus. Going to have to order the colors in a couple weeks but I've got stuff to work with right now anyway.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:06 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
Hey Donnie! Just to let you know, koverall is alive and well - just received mine today from SIG, along with a box full of clear, stix-it and thinner for my Stratus. Going to have to order the colors in a couple weeks but I've got stuff to work with right now anyway.
That's good to know! I am in the middle of priming my mustang, and I am sanding myself nuts, even with all the resin glass fuss and muss I still have low spots and ragged edges I'll have to fill in with spot putty. But once again I am using Rustoleum and trying to assure all undercoats are compattible. so far so good. my next project will not be 1/4 scale.................maybe.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:07 AM
donnyman

I got a double post so I've cleared it.

I would add pictures of what I am doing but my camera went belly up so I got it torn down trying to see if I can do anything good, got nothing to lose they must put these thing together with miniature people everything is so tiny.

Last edited by donnyman; 04-11-2015 at 07:15 AM.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:33 AM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
That's it thats what I had to build at Haaren high school in 1955. Your father in law either went to my school (Haaren) or aviation trades school. Now that is a fond memory jerker, never thought I'd see another in my lifetime. I remember it well! we made the metal fittings and the ribs were done in a jig. Thanks thats a Hoot!
That is pretty cool,for all these years I thought I was the only one to build a wing section in shop class. My Dad went into the navy in 1939 he went to aircraft mechanics school. I still have his text books. In 1958 I was in the 8th grade shop class. The others were building the usual Coffey tables. I asked the teacher if I could do a practical from one of Dads school books. It has 3 built up ribs and two I beam spars and a laminated tip bow and leading edge. It was wood shop so I couldn't make any metal parts.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:28 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did it look anything like this one? This belonged to Paul Vieth my father in-law he graduated Aviation High School in NYC around 1942 and went west to build B-29 cockpits during the war...
Where in the West was he building B-29 cockpits? My Grandmother (aka "Virgie the riveter"), built B-29 vertical stabs for Boeing in Wichita, KS. Gramps worked for Beech, My Dad worked for Cessna in the experimental labs. One uncle was in Guam with the army, and two younger uncles were in the Army Air Corps. I was just 2 years old.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 04-11-2015, 03:48 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Joe Fisher
That is pretty cool,for all these years I thought I was the only one to build a wing section in shop class. My Dad went into the navy in 1939 he went to aircraft mechanics school. I still have his text books. In 1958 I was in the 8th grade shop class. The others were building the usual Coffey tables. I asked the teacher if I could do a practical from one of Dads school books. It has 3 built up ribs and two I beam spars and a laminated tip bow and leading edge. It was wood shop so I couldn't make any metal parts.
It's a small world, with many similarities. I built the table also but it was more like a flower pot stand with four legs on the bottom and a round top, even got to stain it. where were you in the eight grade?
Old 04-11-2015, 04:08 PM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Redondo Beach California then we moved to Nebraska.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:13 PM
Ercoupe N99879

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old? I'm not I'm not old, I am 64 years young!!
Old 04-11-2015, 08:45 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Ercoupe N99879
Old? I'm not I'm not old, I am 64 years young!!
looks Like This is Your Old Ercoupe:

N-number : N99879Aircraft
Serial Number : 2502
Aircraft Manufacturer : ERCOUPE
Model : 415-D
Engine Manufacturer : CONT MOTOR
Model : C85 SERIES
Aircraft Year : 1946
Owner Name : DEBOLT EDWARD L
Owner Address : 15824 BAYVIEW BLVD GRABILL, IN, 467419610
Type of Owner : Individual
Registration Date : 27-Feb-1997Airworthiness Certificate
Type : Standard

Last edited by HoundDog; 04-11-2015 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:37 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Many Happy Returns for yesterday Hound Dog!
Old 04-12-2015, 06:42 AM
Ercoupe N99879

Yessirree this is me Hound Dog !
Thanks!
Same back to you!
Ed
Old 04-13-2015, 06:38 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Well U can't buy a new, off the Production Line, Model "T" either. 99.99% of modern things in this hobby/sport are hands down far,far better than any of those old R/C Equipment. (Not so for Fridgs/stovs/washing machines. ECT.) There are not a lot of People that build their Own Full Scale planes that ever get off the ground either. A lot are started most never get finishad. ALLA BD-5 Jet.
Many Scratch and Kilt built Models flew very well. But Try to make a fiber glass Fuse with out a mold or a foam R/C ducted fan JET that does close to 100 MPH for 280 shipped Only a receiver and batts needed.
Ya some of the older (I'm 72 today) miss the old days, Gimme my %& chevy back I could cool a Case of Pabst in front of the radiator and I could also fix it. That's what I really miss "Fixing My Own Car... NOT. That I have a 37 year old Son (that loves fixing cars/trucks/Mudder/Drag Cars) to do it for.
ANYWAY
JMHO and the spllr ckkr is brok'n too any one know how to turn it on in Google Chrome?
Read this: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95604?hl=en-GB
Old 04-13-2015, 06:46 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by spaceworm
Where in the West was he building B-29 cockpits? My Grandmother (aka "Virgie the riveter"), built B-29 vertical stabs for Boeing in Wichita, KS. Gramps worked for Beech, My Dad worked for Cessna in the experimental labs. One uncle was in Guam with the army, and two younger uncles were in the Army Air Corps. I was just 2 years old.

Sincerely, Richard
My father in-law built B-29s near Seattle during the war. His older sister doped wings somewhere in NY and my mother's sister Violet doped wings in Wichita, KS. Violet's husband Wayne Folger was a supervisor for Boeing in Wichita up until the cancelled the American SST project and then was transferred to Montana to work on ICBMs. Wayne had a major heart-attach on the job and his life saved by a fast thinking Air Force Lieutenant. He radioed ahead for an ambulance to meet them and stopped twice to give Wayne mouth to mouth resuscitation. After recovering he was forced into retirement due to health and they moved back to Wichita KS.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:49 AM
FlyerInOKC

I forgot to mention my cousin Clifford after serving in the Navy during the Vietnam War moved to Wichita KS and built airplanes for Beachcraft and retired from them some time back.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:59 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I forgot to mention my cousin Clifford after serving in the Navy during the Vietnam War moved to Wichita KS and built airplanes for Beachcraft and retired from them some time back.
It is sad that Wichita, once the "Capital of Aviation" is so not now. All of my family were in that field, and I would be also, if I lived there now. Maybe that is what happened, many moved to the coasts, as I did.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 04-15-2015, 12:11 PM
donnyman

The constant evolution of change has made a lot of things occur, fabric and dope to metals and composites. and methods of manufacturing didn't wait for anyone either. the 3d modelling is sweeping the world right now, liquid polymer to sintered metal all available to the guy on the street. if you can dream it you can make it.

Computers on your wrist. phone in your ears or eyeglasses. Star wars is antiquated the average computer is outdated in as little as four to six months. information at the press of a button. and we have just begun, bat and eye and tomorrow has come and gone. Money, sex, and power drives it all! Heck I am in trouble I don't have any of em!
Old 04-15-2015, 10:02 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Neither do I!
Old 04-15-2015, 10:27 PM
busted2props
My Feedback: (9)

To those that spoke of WWII: My dad's nickname was MUM. Yep, very seldom spoke. He was a veteran of D-Day (Omaha Beach) and The Battle of the Bulge. Can't blame him for the nickname. I am sure he would say "Thank you" to those that built the aircraft and ships that bombarded the shores before his arrival. And the aircraft that liberated him from the forest. I am a Viet Nam era vet (served Korat Thailand--and Utapoa-[still can't spell it...lol]) and I thank you. But most of all, for my Dad.! I am adopted, makes it even better!
Old 04-16-2015, 07:32 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by busted2props
To those that spoke of WWII: My dad's nickname was MUM. Yep, very seldom spoke. He was a veteran of D-Day (Omaha Beach) and The Battle of the Bulge. Can't blame him for the nickname. I am sure he would say "Thank you" to those that built the aircraft and ships that bombarded the shores before his arrival. And the aircraft that liberated him from the forest. I am a Viet Nam era vet (served Korat Thailand--and Utapoa-[still can't spell it...lol]) and I thank you. But most of all, for my Dad.! I am adopted, makes it even better!
Same here! The men of our fathers generation were a whole different breed. My father served over 3 years on an Army Air Force base in the Pacific as head armorer during WWII because he was tagged essential personnel. While there his teeth rotted out due to living off C-rations (starvation rations is what they called them) for 6 months and had to have them taken out. (He hadn't see red meat in a year.) He had to choices go to a field hospital and have oral surgery with a high probability of developing an infection in the humid tropical climate; or drinking a quart of whiskey and have an old vet break the teeth off with pliers and pull the roots out like he did for the Army Mules. Dad was a farm boy who had started his Army career training mules in Colorado Springs in 1940 so he went with the vet. Dad said the vet had better success and a lot few infections afterward removing the teeth then the hospital did. I'm sure Dad wasn't alone in picking the vet. The WWII generation had a lot of guts in those days we owe them a great debt that can never be paid!

Mike
Old 04-16-2015, 09:39 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by busted2props
Thailand, I was there also Ubon! before any improvements were made on base we have to semi ruff it. the worst for me was cold showers, and after getting over the shock of being a gazillion miles from home I had a pleasant time. especially when I conversed with the locals, they are no different from us, just want to be left alone so they can take care of their families.

I got to do some traveling due to illness and formal training in the Phillipines (a story all it's own) Cambodia shook me up pretty good one night but we got home (Ubon) ok.

Busted2props - I am of the mind adopted people are the "special blessed ones" Someone took the time to seek you out and chose you for a lifetime. God bless them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.