Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 05-04-2015, 05:17 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 263 Likes on 231 Posts

Good luck on the move Telemaster wish I was going with you! That reproduction kit is great, I wish Comet would have had laser cutting when I was a kid it would have made building a lot more fun.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:44 PM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Been mighty quiet around here lately....I've been busy with my mustang, priming and sanding, sanding and priming man I do not like this process. but monokote on a quarter scale bird just don't set right with me. though it can be nice. I contemplated metal coating but some how got turned around and started this sanding crap. But I am making progress.

my c/l ringmaster is in one piece and about ready to cover, not sure how I am going to finish it. The weather here is nothing but rain and we have at least another week of it scheduled and the wet ground wont let me finish up my motorhome repairs. so I am catchin up on the inside honeydoo's
Old 05-09-2015, 08:06 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Donny, you're not alone in the finishing department - just got the 2nd color done on my Stratus fuse and 3rd color goes on tomorrow. Of course, being a 1966 SIG bird she's gotta have a 1966 cover - SIG koverall & dope got the nod. I guess it just seems like it's taking forever.

Probably won't even get to START the wing until next week sometime.

Ringmaster's GOTTA have dope finish, of course. My last several CL birds have been SIG dopes over Koverall - just love the stuff.

Here's the Stratus fuse so far: Sorry 'bout the lousy pic, not the best light situation. Anyway, bottom color will be Miami blue. That top color is my 20-yr old SIG Metallic Maroon which has been out of production probably most of the past 20 years. Gonna be sorry to see the last of that quart can - this is the 3rd plane to carry colors from it (and probably the last). Had to thin it near 50/50 when I opened it this time - and that's for brushing purposes. Can's still about half-full though, so I'm going to have plenty left (again) when this project is done.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1986-paint2.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	2095060  
Old 05-11-2015, 05:37 AM
FlyerInOKC

I would settle for getting time to touch an airplane. I have been stuck on a bathroom remodel that turned into a money pit. I'm just about done, I'll finish this week.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:15 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

I just replaced the front brake pads on my 2001 Kawasaki Voyager XII touring motorcycle and replaced brake fluid. Since I don't have a pilot's license, it is the next best thing to flying.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:41 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
Donny, you're not alone in the finishing department - just got the 2nd color done on my Stratus fuse and 3rd color goes on tomorrow. Of course, being a 1966 SIG bird she's gotta have a 1966 cover - SIG koverall & dope got the nod. I guess it just seems like it's taking forever.

Probably won't even get to START the wing until next week sometime.

Ringmaster's GOTTA have dope finish, of course. My last several CL birds have been SIG dopes over Koverall - just love the stuff.

Here's the Stratus fuse so far: Sorry 'bout the lousy pic, not the best light situation. Anyway, bottom color will be Miami blue. That top color is my 20-yr old SIG Metallic Maroon which has been out of production probably most of the past 20 years. Gonna be sorry to see the last of that quart can - this is the 3rd plane to carry colors from it (and probably the last). Had to thin it near 50/50 when I opened it this time - and that's for brushing purposes. Can's still about half-full though, so I'm going to have plenty left (again) when this project is done.
I do not look forward to sanding all this primer off, seven feet of paint. but I am also doing my honeydo's like this one of the cabinets from my motorhome that was damaged by a water leak and it's amost ready to reinstall.

I may even get a chance to put some coverall and dope on the ringmaster.

Name:	DSCF0208.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	3.78 MB
ID:	2095373   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0213.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	3.64 MB
ID:	2095374  
Old 05-11-2015, 11:44 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I would settle for getting time to touch an airplane. I have been stuck on a bathroom remodel that turned into a money pit. I'm just about done, I'll finish this week.
Hang in there flyer it will feel a lot better when your done!
Old 05-11-2015, 11:56 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
I just replaced the front brake pads on my 2001 Kawasaki Voyager XII touring motorcycle and replaced brake fluid. Since I don't have a pilot's license, it is the next best thing to flying.
But a whole lot cheaper, my son would agree with you he has three bikes.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:00 PM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by donnyman
But a whole lot cheaper, my son would agree with you he has three bikes.
True, and my 2001 will take me anywhere that a new $25k Goldwing will, keeping it repaired is certainly cheaper. My Kawasaki is my equivalent to my friend's "Geezer Glider", LOL.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:36 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Geez Donny, that Mustang's impressive - - but then, ALL your planes are impressive. I don't have 2% enough patience to build like you do. My one attempt at a semi-serious scale plane (TF P39 Airacobra) still sits, half-done, in the basement after near 20 years.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:53 AM
FlyerInOKC

Nice Mustang Donny!
Old 05-12-2015, 06:10 AM
donnyman

Thanks for the compliments guys But that bird is a lot older than you may guess, I bought and started that kit back in the late 70's and have built close to a hunded others since, so you are seeing the results of years of start and stop building. And I want it finished and off my bench, so I am hot after it now that I can. It was built before my F-14 which is another long story It would be further along if I can just get the wing geometry worked out. ( I wanna do it my way) most of the stuff hanging from the ceiling came after the "Stang" so skylark you are well within normal operatiing perameters. Knock the dust off and continue, my son has the p39 kit and I got a partial built one for him at a swapmeet but it's collecting dust. The weather here has afforded me some time to do what I want for a change. we are getting rain almost every day so outdoor stuff is kinda slow.

Name:	f14 rear top_edited.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	2095495  
Old 05-12-2015, 06:15 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
True, and my 2001 will take me anywhere that a new $25k Goldwing will, keeping it repaired is certainly cheaper. My Kawasaki is my equivalent to my friend's "Geezer Glider", LOL.
GEEZER GLIDER? (I lke that) I had no idea the Goldwing had become so expensive, I had my eye on one years ago but it wasn't that costly.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:35 PM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by donnyman
GEEZER GLIDER? (I lke that) I had no idea the Goldwing had become so expensive, I had my eye on one years ago but it wasn't that costly.
That's what my friend calls his Harley Ultra-Glide. Yes, Goldwings are expensive, right up there with the most primo Harley tourers and perhaps a little more. Top end Kawasaki is now round $17k, which is a little less. Keeping mine repaired is a lot cheaper.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:16 AM
donnyman

It's raining again!............ It's getting irritating but we will live with it like it or not.

Ghost ..glad your repairs are working for ya this weather is stalling mine. it's rough but I may just nave to go up to my shop and work on the "stang".

My sink is disassembled I am replacienig all the plumbing, the lime in this water had it looking real ugly and leaks were popping up. also need some wood for the top....... I just checked my shed and found enough ply to make a top for the sink so that is my project for today. see ya later!
Old 05-13-2015, 09:30 AM
FlyerInOKC

I can relate to your dismay at more rain. The ground here is already saturated and now we have more coming today, Friday, Saturday, and then Monday thru Wednesday of next week! YUK!!!!
Old 05-13-2015, 11:22 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can relate to your dismay at more rain. The ground here is already saturated and now we have more coming today, Friday, Saturday, and then Monday thru Wednesday of next week! YUK!!!!
Rain is better than Wind and Tornadoes.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:13 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Rain is better than Wind and Tornadoes.
True, but quite often at this time of the year one follows the other. Last Wednesday there were 19 confirmed tornadoes in Oklahoma alone! Most did little or no damage but its still scary.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:58 PM
donnyman

FLYERinOKC

We can be grateful little or no real damage occured, I have been close to tornados and I'll tell you here and now if I never hear or see another it will be too soon, scary is way short of what I feel about them. the weather in OKLA. is close to what we have here lately so we are in the same boat

For me lately it has been a time of deleting some of the honeydo's I've been meaning to do for some time and it feels good to see the progress. I just got quite a bit completed on my shop sink, and the cabinet for my motorhome is finished. As soon as I can clean the ceiling it will be reinstalled.

I fear the weather pattern will be with us for some time so I hope to take full advantage and get some building in because no sooner than the ground dries I'll be cutting the grass and pruning trees and......................................gotta get the "stang" fuselage sanded.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:18 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

True, but quite often at this time of the year one follows the other. Last Wednesday there were 19 confirmed tornadoes in Oklahoma alone! Most did little or no damage but its still scary.
On my way home to WI from AZ about 2 years ago I stopped in OKC south of 40 to pick up a Tank a guy had for sale
on RCU. The Next Day is when that Level 5 Tornado went through More OK.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:35 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by HoundDog
On my way home to WI from AZ about 2 years ago I stopped in OKC south of 40 to pick up a Tank a guy had for sale
on RCU. The Next Day is when that Level 5 Tornado went through More OK.
Yeah, Moore is seems to be a tornado magnet. That tornado pretty much followed the same path of the first recorded F-5 tornado back on May 3, 1999. That one was even worse it took out whole subdivisions! Some were never rebuilt either. I wouldn't want to live there! Two is consequence three is a pattern and they are way pass the pattern stage.

Donny congrats on getting the Stang sanded that is an accomplishment!
Old 05-14-2015, 10:10 AM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Well kinda like you all I have been working at finding and fixing a water leak. I have 1/4 mile of water line I put in 25 years ago. Now I am glad at almost 70 I can still dig. It has slowed the recover of my Cub. Now it is to humid to glue and dope the fabric. I am playing with the control line more. I got an O.S. 25 LA for my scratch built Flite Streak You mite like to see albums of my home built and rebuild projects. http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/fo...er-albums.html

Name:	DSC00291.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	2.53 MB
ID:	2095869  
Old 05-16-2015, 05:12 AM
donnyman

JOE FISHER

I was thinking , we have many similarities in our lives. Your water line is like mine over 1500 feet long and I had to replace most of it due to the wrong couplers (PVC) You built A/C and I have tried to do the same (BEDE - 7) your working on controline models and so am I and with the wet weather. I envy your aircraft homebuilding. something I really wanted to get involved in, was looking into purchasing a wood wing mooney but life had other Ideas. Now we are both here sharing our experiences, and thats the best part...............Much happiness to you!

FlyerinOKC

I am still sanding that stang! got diverted by my shop sink rebuild, needed the water supply it's almost finished Got a small leak in the drain.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:45 AM
FlyerInOKC

I've been there Donny! I just completed the final touches on the bathroom remodel I started the last week of March. Wife wanted a rug in there and she found some cheap carpet at HD she really liked and found a guy who binds carpet. So I bought it and said to bring it in whole with a good drawing and he would cut it at no additional charge and bind it. Ran me $1.50 a linear foot plus $10 for reinforcing an inside corner. To cost was less than $100 and I have leftovers for mats in the garage. Its a custom "L" shape with a small half moon matching the front of the toilet. Can't beat the price buying a square one off the rack! He even pointed me to a supply house to pick up a brush on vinyl backing to keep it from sliding.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:35 AM
donnyman

flyer

I know you are happy to see the end to the remodeling. My sink is functional at last, I even washed it.

Been getting things done around here but little on my Stang, gonna try to spend some time on it today, wouild have worked on it yesterday but I found a small leak on my motorhomes roof and did some washing and patching, It should be it good shape for a while.

I may be starting a new project this week my friend got a laser cut kit of a p-3 orion It was designed for electrics but we want to use fuel so some mods will be made. This is a pretty big bird close to ten foot, should be a interesting build, I have no idea when it will be started but I am looking forward to it.

Name:	800px-Orion.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	2096861  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.