Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 07:19 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

There is a lot to be said about the therapeutic value of a hobby like ours. It keeps the mind firing on all cylinders!
Old 05-28-2015, 08:43 AM
mistermnkim
My Feedback: (153)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crap I just turned 48!! But I started in 1978 that's 37 years !! It was perty primitive when I started I thought! Love reading about the really old days. Im subscribed!!!
Old 05-28-2015, 08:00 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Beautiful planes Morty! And you've got a GUFF!!!!!! Pure legend!
Old 05-29-2015, 06:58 PM
charlie111

I have an Old Kit I Bought on EBAY! Comet Aeronca Chief R/C Rubber Band Powered 54" Wingspan! Would like to Trade for Help Setting up Radio for Self Rotating Wing No Tail Rotor! See 1st & 2nd Times Out on You Tube I'm 62 Started around Xmas! Contacts were Hardest Part. But, Worked Fine! Collar on Main Shaft Slipped Too Hard for set screws to Bite Shaft not even Scratched ! Dimpled shaft OK Now Put Neg. Pitch in for Autorotation But Neg. Overpowered Servo Holding Slight Neg. Making Better Mixing Arms.Vid. Shows If I could have got a Few degrees Up Pitch It would have Lifted! Dropped 5lbs of Gear! Oak Axles = Baseball Bat,3'3/16 Steel Round stock,4 3" Rubber tires & Mags,Steering Bellcrank,Servo & Linkage! Removed Boat Shrink Wrap over Balsa & Removing Most Balsa to Cover with Film Instead! About 6lbs. Total? Using Bathroom Scale? 3rd Time's a CHARM! Next Video Suday Watch it Here or You Tube Charles Glazebrook Ask Around I don't get to Use the Computer Much? Boston Area # Listed
Old 06-04-2015, 03:46 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Hello again!

I am in a slow recovery mode from my honeydo's I even managed to get a few things accomplished, still, have a long way to go.

This being old is a real bother it seems everything in my old bod is breaking down, I have seen more doctors in the last few months than ever. what has come to the forefront is all the medications seem to do is mask your problems and give you others, they really don't cure anything. I have come to realize that if they cure you they can't sell you any more pills. And what they sell you is priced far, far above it's true worth. Gentlemen we are being taken for the ride of our lives, LITERALLY! One months supply of luekemia tablets cost $ 9,200 bucks ...Thats absolutely sinful! If you don't have the money, YOUR DEAD.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:48 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Er...I'm not one of these overtly patriotic my-country-right-or-wrong types and I do enjoy good health, but there are times when I bless the British National Health Service, despite all of its faults and shortcomings.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:47 AM
FlyerInOKC

The older you get the more doctors you have and the more pills you pop. I'm lucky I only take 3 a day. My biggest headache is the sensitivity to sun light my meds cause. I'm almost to the point I need to wear log sleeves when I drive because the sun gets too hot shining on my arm thru the window.
Old 06-04-2015, 06:58 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
Hello again! I am in a slow recovery mode from my honeydo's I even managed to get a few things accomplished, still, have a long way to go.

This being old is a real bother it seems everything in my old bod is breaking down, I have seen more doctors in the last few months than ever. what has come to the forefront is all the medications seem to do is mask your problems and give you others, they really don't cure anything. I have come to realize that if they cure you they can't sell you any more pills. And what they sell you is priced far, far above it's true worth. Gentlemen we are being taken for the ride of our lives, LITERALLY! One months supply of luekemia tablets cost $ 9,200 bucks ...Thats absolutely sinful! If you don't have the money, YOUR DEAD.
There are a few good books to read, written by medical doctors. One is http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Gundrys-Die.../dp/0307352129, Dr. Gundry's Diet Evolution: Turn Off the Genes That Are Killing You and Your Waistline. It is written by a cardiologist. Dr. Grundy methodically goes into the factors that are basically ruining our health, most importantly the modern food we eat. This book was suggested by a physician's assistant for me to read. As a result of more or less following his diet recommendations, the arthritis in my elbow is now gone. His diet can reverse hardening of the arteries. He's helped those who were considered unsalvageable by modern medicine, giving them a new lease on life.

Another is http://www.amazon.com/Grain-Brain-Su...dp/031623480X/, Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth about Wheat, Carbs, and Sugar--Your Brain's Silent Killers. It is written by a neurologist. Similarly, Dr. Perlmutter explains that dementia is preventable, is related again to our modern diet. The grains we partake of now, are nothing like what people ate a hundred years ago. Modern wheat has a higher glycemic level than plain sugar (around 65), nearly double (around 95).

His diet recommendations are similar to Dr. Grundy's. By following these diets, I was able to lose 55 lbs., which otherwise I had great difficulty to achieve.

Another factor is the older anti-histamines and aids such as Benadryl, Chlortrimenton, Dramamine contribute to dementia. For example, see http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2015/...-for-dementia/. A list of those medications may be found in: http://www.agingbraincare.org/upload...legal_size.pdf

Explanation is found in: https://www.agingbraincare.org/tools...-burden-scale/

That age old statement, "You are what you eat is literally true. Also, some of our traditional medications in the long run do us more harm than good.

Last edited by GallopingGhostler; 06-04-2015 at 07:01 AM.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:48 AM
charlie111

I could tell some Stories about Injuries & Meds.! Shot 3 Times in Legs wrestling 38 from a Kid that escaped Youth Service about 30 yrs. ago! Bad Tranfusion gave me Hep. C! Then 200lb. Piece of Steel Fell on Me from a Hight of 13 ft. While carrying 1 end of another 200 lb.piece & Blew out Back on Slip & Slide Toy with a Rock Under IT See My Latest Project (Electric) Self rotating Rotarywing Here or on You Tube you can see Both Times Out with it & the Small Problems I (HAD)! All Fixed see Twitter rotate1953 Lightening up some while waiting for Mono film covering. Removed Boat wrap over Balsa & Most of the Balsa covering on Wings!Honestly Batteries have Never been Charged! Bought around Xmas & Used them to Test ESCs & Shorted Out During Build for about 4 seconds When a Friend got POS & NEG. Mixed up when Soldering Plug on Wing! They Must be Low @ Least! Motors actually slowed on Last Test! You Tube Charles Glazebrook 3rd. Time's a CHARM! Oh & Hit in the Head with Axe 17 stitches inside 24 Outide OK Now @ 62! No Drain Bamage @ All?
Old 06-04-2015, 07:58 AM
FlyerInOKC

The easy way to tell if you have any brain damage is to ask yourself "Did I go south for winter or at least consider it to avoid the snow storms this year? If you answer "Yes" you don't have brain damage! A "No" answer means you need to get checked!
Old 06-04-2015, 08:39 AM
charlie111

Don't Forget about the Barometric Pressure? Low Pressure Changes! Storms Comming & Going!
Old 06-05-2015, 02:38 AM
cbsos

I have just posted a requested for information on a Mills 1.5 diesel engine that I received from my dads collection of engines and planes. I started flying control line in 1964 with my brother, prior to that he and I would rob our dads balsa collection 3' x 1/16' sheet and cut it down to square and make models of the old jennys and BE5 scout planes seen on a TV program WINGS I think it was called. The most costly item was the glue, mum worked in a shoe shop and we used the tissue from the boxes. At Guy Faulx time these planes (Gliders) would carry cracker explosives with long fuses. OH! those were the days. At the age of 63 I'm getting out all of the 25 year old radio gear planes and gliders to crank up the hobby again, also purchased a new 2.4ghz foamy to start the ball rolling.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:30 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

[QUOTE=cbsos;12050025],,,and make models of the old jennys and BE5 scout planes seen on a TV program WINGS I think it was called.

They were BE2s. If you search "BE2e" on the RCU website you should find some footage of me just flying my 2 metre Roy Scott version.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:49 AM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSGOFa8ucJw I put a small Sony camera on a hard hat I am real pleased with how well it worked. It was so hot and sticky I didn't stay out long. I scratch built Yellow Bird years ago and fly it a lot. It isn't running to good. I mix my own fuel and the last batch I got of methanol is bad so my engines just barely run. Bummer.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:48 PM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

This after noon I thought I would fly some control line. I took out my Chief and pranged it first flight. I was about 1/100 of a second behind it. The ground is mellow and it did little damage to the plane but the engine is full of dirt and the needle valve is bent. So I need to take the engine apart and clean it before I can run. So I wanted to try the video again. I scratch built 2 Ringmasters This one is for the grand kids to learn on. The engine is a Torpedo .19. I got this engine when I was about 12. It was always hard to start and it would run down those old dry cell battery's. When I tried to start it last winter using the nicad it started right up. So I put it on the Ringmaster. Well I have found that it likes a new glow plug, it dosen't matter that the plog is glowing red hot it will only start about 3 times on a plug then it won't fire. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAEEZkL13cM .
Old 06-06-2015, 07:10 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Enjoyed watching you fly the Ringmaster, Joe, really good lap timing, relaxed but decent tug on the lines. I'm sure your grand kids will really enjoy learning with you helping on that plane.

Might be a stability problem with the rare metals in the plug element. There was some good discussion in one of the forums, I forget which, where they got into details on it. Had to do with the quality of the heating element wire.

I've heard that some go south in short order, especially with some of the older stuff. Had the same problem with some really old Swanson Associate Fireball Hot standard long plugs. They'd work for a week or two. Then I stopped flying and they'd give me trouble. Yet I have an Enya #30 plug that must be at least 50 years old and it still works, go figure. I heard the latest new Fireballs are good. Also, I bought a card of their idle bar plugs (NOS) that I am going to try. Some say that with the extra oil content and 4 cycling, the idle bar keeps the oil off the plug. Don't know if they will give problems or not until I try.

I bought some N3 hot plugs for 4 cycle engines from Hong Kong, so far bench tests prove promising with my McCoy 35 Red Head, we'll see how they do in my Ring next time.

Last edited by GallopingGhostler; 06-06-2015 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:41 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

So did you work on the railroad Morty? I had two years of it on the Australian National Railway while travelling around the world i the late Seventies.

Will someone with superior IT skills to mine, (not difficult!) show me how I can access Morty's gallery? I'd love to see the Guff. One day I plan to build the later Big Guff aka "The Radio Control Winner."
Old 06-07-2015, 11:21 AM
skylark-flier

(edited - incorrect info)

Oh! My 1966-era SIG Stratus flew today, for the first time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pics aren't good but they show her.

First lift-off and a couple of her in the air:

y'know, GOTTA BRAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2015-trimmed.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	2101139   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2016-trimmed.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	2101140   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2022-trimmed.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	2101141   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2025-trimmed.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	2101142  

Last edited by skylark-flier; 06-07-2015 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:47 PM
skylark-flier

WHOA! Bad info in my last post. Click on his name to get into his profile, dark blue line above has an entry for PHOTO GALLERY. That will take you there. Then, enter "mortyspals" in the MEMBERS NAME block and you'll see his 2 pages - and they're ALL nice planes.

Not sure it'll be the same but the URL I see is http://www.rcuniverse.com/gallery/ga...emberId=476474

Last edited by skylark-flier; 06-07-2015 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:16 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
(edited - incorrect info)

Oh! My 1966-era SIG Stratus flew today, for the first time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pics aren't good but they show her.

First lift-off and a couple of her in the air:

y'know, GOTTA BRAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nice airplane!
Old 06-08-2015, 10:33 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Thanks for the info Skylark-Flier, Morty certainly has some fine models.

I see that he also has a Radio Queen. I had one for years and used it to teach nervous elderly beginners how to fly. I sold it to our club secretary who tragically died after an operation to remove a brain tumour. We auctioned off his models and the current owner still keeps ir in flying trim.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:03 AM
mortyspals
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes T.S. I spent seven years in freight and the last twenty with Amtrak in various position, the last five operating equipment with Acella High Speed Rail. Thanks for the nice comments. Never yet met a person from the mother land I did not instantly like......save for a Scot or two. LOL & God bless. Neal
Old 06-09-2015, 02:09 AM
mortyspals

My Guff is built from a Klarich short kit, 82 in span. I covered the fuse with 1/32 birch plywood, stained it & then over sprayed it with the new Testers clear coat & the rest is Antique Solartex. It is powered with an OS FS 40 I believe & I have yet to fly it. Other folks who have built the old Goode Brother's plane say it is a slow, gentle flyer. Neal

Last edited by mortyspals; 06-09-2015 at 02:12 AM.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:17 AM
mortyspals

Thank you Skylark....roamed the mountain for many years up your way, especially behind Page County High School off 340 at Kathren Furnase. Good memories.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:06 PM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
Er...I'm not one of these overtly patriotic my-country-right-or-wrong types and I do enjoy good health, but there are times when I bless the British National Health Service, despite all of its faults and shortcomings.
Welcome back!
Aren't you now living in France? you have not changed you avatar location. Are you all settled in?

I was not speaking to the health system I was speaking to pharmacuetical pill manufacturers not producing cures just cover ups, cures don't sell pills.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.