Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 08:14 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Sure - easy. Top of page has line with "Settings", click that. Left side of the page that comes up has "edit profile" click that and you're there - about half way down the page.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:29 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Having said what I said in the last post, there is a little rider to it. I got down to my chosen area of retirement in the middle of France, just after lunch time on Wednesday 24th June. I went round to the local flying field. There were two retired Dutchmen there, William and Kees but we were quickly joined by a Frenchman, Francois and a Begian called Gerrard. Conversations were carried out in a mixture of Dutch, French, Flemish and English, Gerrard being fluent in all four languages. We were all in our sixties; William and Kees were novices with two incredibly battered trainers and were waiting for Francois to teach them how to fly. Kees had an E-Flite Apprentice while William had an i/c ARTF trainer which had been patched in yellow doped tissue! They had a bit of trouble with the elevator servo but soon got it sorted out and took off. The model seemed to fly very well but after a few minutes Francois brought it in and had the wing off again pronouncing the elevator servo "hors service." Francois had earlier phoned the police to complain that a farmer had started a fire which had set fire to a large area of grass; it's hot and dry here and this international gathering was soon visited by two heavily armed gendarmes wearing bullet-proof vests. What they did about the fire I don't know but they stayed for an hour to watch us fly.

Francois demonstrated his quadcopter but crashed it into his legs as he landed it breaking one of the rotors. You should have seen us all jumping out of the way! I then flew my Foam-E WOT 4, a high wing electric sports model and managed a good landing after a few aerobatics. Then Kees put a battery into his Apprentice but stood in front of it and and absent mindedly operated the throttle. It's a good job he was wearing long trousers as the propeller would have cut his legs if he had worn shorts. As it was, with the propeller suddenly stopping, it overloaded the speed controller and ruined it, so he couldn't fly. By now the younger policeman was very interested in my model. He asked me what would be required to get airbourne and how much things cost. I explained that it was not a beginner's model but a good second or third model and proceeded to demonstrate how slowly it could be flown before I opened the taps and chucked it about. Loops, rolls, Immelmans, Cuban, Vertical and Horizontal Eights and inverted flight before I brought it down to a good landing on the club's perfect but rather narrow tarmac strip. I think I heard applause!

Then Gerrard took off on the maiden flight of his De Havilland Beaver. The model climbed well enough then dropped its starboard wing and crashed into the corn. Seen it before. Inexperienced pilot freezes at the controls. Gerrard was brave and honest enough to admit that the crash was his fault and the model is repairable, and then he said, "You are the only one to have flown successfully today!"

Which only goes to show that we all have good days and bad days!

A bientot.

David
Old 06-26-2015, 10:07 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Were you successful in recuiting the younger gendarme into the hobby? If anyone would need a hobby to relieve the stress of his profession he would be one!
Old 06-26-2015, 10:11 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

I don't know but I'll be up at the field again on Sunday and I'll see if he's there.

I'm at an age when policemen and gendarmes look very young to me! .
Old 07-01-2015, 10:11 AM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I designed and built this about 10 years ago. My wife likes to fly a kite so it was supposed to be easy to fly like a kite. Originally powered it with a Cox.049 but it was so temperamental that it just wasn't fun. I bought a electric helicopter but it is just no good so I took the motor,speed control and battery and put them in the glider. It has a 60" span and weights about 1.5lbs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGc5IFNN2HM
Old 07-01-2015, 12:19 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Great idea! It really flies nice!
Old 07-02-2015, 06:32 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Joe

That is a very nice flying bird! and a excellent size. You might consider offering the design to a magazine or something so others could enjoy your fine work.

Just a thought...............Donny
Old 07-02-2015, 01:30 PM
brner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guess I'm old enough to post here....will turn 78 in just a few months.....geeeeeeeeeeeesh time does fly.

Back in the mid fifties I built, from a kit, an Ace Commander radio set. It did work, well most of the time anyway, and I did manage to interrupt the very stable flying Mambo I put it in every once in awhile... Both model and radio are long gone and I am now planning on another Mambo with more reliable control system. Would any of you gents/ladies happen to have a decent picture of the older Ace Transmitter (the one that only had two things on the face, an on/off switch and sort of a doorbell button). Would like to make a waterslide if I can find a decent picture of one. TIA,

Don
Old 07-02-2015, 04:31 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brner
Guess I'm old enough to post here....will turn 78 in just a few months.....geeeeeeeeeeeesh time does fly.

Back in the mid fifties I built, from a kit, an Ace Commander radio set. It did work, well most of the time anyway, and I did manage to interrupt the very stable flying Mambo I put it in every once in awhile... Both model and radio are long gone and I am now planning on another Mambo with more reliable control system. Would any of you gents/ladies happen to have a decent picture of the older Ace Transmitter (the one that only had two things on the face, an on/off switch and sort of a doorbell button). Would like to make a waterslide if I can find a decent picture of one. TIA,

Don
Hi Don, no Ace Commander (but I do have a Heath GD-18 with RX and servos and a Kraft KP-5C with RX and servos), but here is a picture of my Mighty Mambo, with Merco 60. Silkspan and dope. 4 channel Futaba 7FGK. Still looks as the pic shows. Hope to fly it this summer.

Good luck with your Ace Commander.

Sincerely, Richard

Attached Images  
Old 07-02-2015, 07:34 PM
brner

Howdy Richard,

That's a very nice looking MM and I had thought about building it but nostalgia took over and the 48" is what I had in '56. Maybe the next one might be the MM. As to the Ace Commander radio, it's not in my plans. Was just trying to find a decent picture of the transmitter. Planned on adorning the plane with a water slide decal of it (again nostalgia working on me...). I think that radio was the first one Ace put out. It was prior to the pulse ones.

It was very interesting, to say the least, to try and fly RC back then....LOL

Don
Old 07-02-2015, 07:55 PM
Joe Fisher

It was to humid to dope my Cub today so I worked on the Charger. Well I thought my computer wasn't working so now we have 3 pictures the same. Put the top and fin on. I left the bottom off to work on the servo installation Put a crank pin on the servo so it would work like an escapement. Here is the servo connected to the toque rod. Servo deflecting toque rod for right rudder. For those not familiar with escapements this is one it is powered with a rubber band. The wheel on the back has a hook for the rubber band. It has a relay that pulls the palls and let the crank rotate. When you hold the key on transmitter it stops in the first position that is right rudder. When you key the transmitter and then hold it goes through right rudder and stops on left rudder.If you key the transmitter two times and hold it goes through right and left and stops on up elevator. Then you can have second escapement when you quick blip the key it operates the throttle escapement.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00342.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	2.64 MB
ID:	2106994   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00344.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	2.37 MB
ID:	2106996   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00345.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	2.28 MB
ID:	2106997   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00346.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	2106998   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00348.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	2.25 MB
ID:	2106999   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00349.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	2.44 MB
ID:	2107000  
Old 07-03-2015, 04:19 PM
donnyman

brnr

HI ! your avatar name looks like a abreviation of my first name (Brenner) and yes you do qualify for this site ya got four years on me.

I had a mambo back in the fifties and tried to build my radio's but nothing worked until heathkit. free plans for the mambo are available on the Outterzone site. You might try getting the picture you want simply by keying in the name on your web browser. And yes time doues seem to fly by and feelis like it's speeding up.

welcome.................Donny
Old 07-04-2015, 07:52 PM
brner

Hi Donny,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I already have the plans off the Outterzone site and have loaded them into my CAD program as I wanted to do a couple of mods before starting the build. Also found that a few of the parts are iffy as to fit.

The radio I built in the mid 50's was the Ace Commander. Ordered the kit from an ad in Popular Mechanics, if my memory serves me well....LOL

I had a K&B Torp .15 in it. Had two needle valves, I think it was K&B's first try at developing an RC engine for escapements. Set one needle for high speed, the other for low speed and hope you could click that button fast enough and time it right to change speeds. Never did get that to work right.

I was able to get the radio working........well, sort of anyway. The Mambo was a very stable flying plane and that was a big advantage to me and that Commander. Trimmed out like a free flight it would climb lazily in a circle and when out of fuel would just turn around and glide back down. If I got daring, I could occasionally interrupt it's flight path with a click of the button. It was indeed challenging in those days, nothing like today's RC.

I've tried my browser, several searches, and have pretty much given up on a picture of that old radio. But I did locate a picture of an old Orbit single channel, same vintage and looks pretty much as I remember the Ace. A little Photoshop on that and I think it'll do.....

Have a good one,

Don
Old 07-05-2015, 05:53 AM
donnyman

I got the plans for the mambo from the same source it is a fantastic site. I remember the way the mambo flew. back in the early 60's on Williams A.F.B. my friend had a mambo and launched it on the back side of the base on a perimeter road well away from everything,
That mambo climbed like a homesick angel and the radio worked for a while (don't remember the brand) when the radio stopped responding the engine kept running and pulled it toward the flight line, well we had a time keeping up with it only to end up about ten feet away from the taxi way it was the weeknd and no airtraffic, but we managed to stop a T-33 taxing to the end of the runway for takeoff.

The mambo landed on the other side of the taxiway on the grass just as nice as you please The pilot and passenger were enjoying the view laughing and pointing at the bird then waved at us and continued on it's way. we retrieved the mambo just as the air police arrived ................the officer of the day was not amused but did ask a lot of questions about R/c and the plane. that was my second incident with a r/c bird at Williams.

I think the ace commader was advertised by America's hobby shop in N.Y. back in the day I 'll keep a eye out for it.

Last edited by donnyman; 07-05-2015 at 05:57 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:22 PM
Joe Fisher

The first picture I am Epoxying the gear on. Then gluing the bottom on. I hope it will fly with the Cox.15 .It has the only glow plug that I know of to exist. Back in 1982 I got my first JR radio and I built from plans a Burkely Bergader 1940 era free flight with rudder elevator and throttle.And used this Cox .15 It really liked to fly my son was 11 I would start it and launch it,He would throttle back and I would go off for an hour and when I would come back he would still be flying it. It has been to humid to dope on my Cub this week so I have been working on the Charger. Now I need to take it out to the hanger and dope it.

Name:	DSC00350.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	2.98 MB
ID:	2108268   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00351.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	2.61 MB
ID:	2108269   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00352.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	3.70 MB
ID:	2108270  
Old 07-09-2015, 04:51 PM
brner

Looking great Joe. Nice frame up.....
Old 07-12-2015, 08:18 AM
donnyman

J. Fisher

that bird your building is very nostalgic and looks very much like the mambo! I 've looked at it several times and it evoked a flood of memories.

Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.

Been thinking of putting one together until I remember I have too many as it is, the senior falcon bashed to look like a skylrk has been running through my brain also.

Please give us some more pictures when you can.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:37 AM
donnyman

I am not sure anyone is interested but I thought I'd show the progress I made on my mustang.

The aluminum panel is from momma's cooking foil, I glued it on with 3m 77 spray on adhesive, so far it look's ok.

I am still sanding some ares of this thing but could not resist trying the foil out, I will do most of the plane this way. Just had to try it!

Name:	DSCF0235.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	3.84 MB
ID:	2108682   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0239.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	3.58 MB
ID:	2108683  
Old 07-13-2015, 07:31 AM
Joe Fisher

Actually Donny I like to see people doing airplane stuff. That is a good looking project you have going.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:52 AM
BrightGarden

Originally Posted by donnyman
I am not sure anyone is interested but I thought I'd show the progress I made on my mustang.

The aluminum panel is from momma's cooking foil, I glued it on with 3m 77 spray on adhesive, so far it look's ok.

I am still sanding some ares of this thing but could not resist trying the foil out, I will do most of the plane this way. Just had to try it!
Whoa! Wait, what!

I'm away from this thread for a bit and all of a sudden there is monster mustang involved?

What kind of servos are you using in that?
Old 07-13-2015, 11:14 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Joe Fisher
Actually Donny I like to see people doing airplane stuff. That is a good looking project you have going.
Thank you! It,s a very old project to say the least. I too enjoy seeing the work of others, and you have been doing pretty good, Keep it up!
Old 07-13-2015, 11:24 AM
donnyman

BRIGHTGARDEN

Hi .....I am currently using some old giant size futaba'S Old but new and unused. I've seen them used in other Nosen mustang kit's with success and it is about time I used what I have.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:58 AM
BrightGarden

I bet - you may generate some decent forces on control surfaces, depending how you fly.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:48 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by BrightGarden
I bet - you may generate some decent forces on control surfaces, depending how you fly.
Considering the amount of effort I have in this bird it will be flown quite scale.

Control forces shouldn't be very high this bird isn't the 3D type it's really old school, Like me, But I have a A.J. slick that is made for whippin in the wind.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:58 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

That 'Stang is lookin' GOOD! I use the 3M Super-77 for a lot of things but never for anything that was going to be permanent - guess I just don't have the faith that you've got. Gotta admit though, that foil looks awful good sitting there.

I'm kinda assuming, maybe wrongly, that you're using one of the modern radios in her. No worries about signal strength/loss inside the fuse with the foil skin?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.