Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 07-14-2015, 11:48 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
That 'Stang is lookin' GOOD! I use the 3M Super-77 for a lot of things but never for anything that was going to be permanent - guess I just don't have the faith that you've got. Gotta admit though, that foil looks awful good sitting there.

I'm kinda assuming, maybe wrongly, that you're using one of the modern radios in her. No worries about signal strength/loss inside the fuse with the foil skin?

Thank's...3m-77 is used to bond skins on foam wings so foil should not be any problem. but I have not used the technique before, so far it is looking pretty good I still have a lot to learn, and I and doing a lot of experimentation.

No I am not using the modern stuff (yet) I had purchased a futaba 9c the week 2.4 stuff went ballistic and haven't gotten my money out of it yet and 72 mhz has never failed me so I am not sure what I will do but thanks for putting it in the forefront of me wittle noodle hadn't even given it any thought. THANK'S!!!! I always try to place my antenna outside the model.

Has anyone here had any problems with foil covered bird and signal strength???
Old 07-14-2015, 12:10 PM
donnyman

What do you think of the gun bay? the latches function but not to full scale. the covers are quite close to scale and are held in place the the same as full scale. Was looking at the pics and thought this pic. too cool not to use. I am currently building some ma dueces to fill the bays This is and old picture.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mustang gunbay closed - ok.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	782.7 KB
ID:	2109188   Click image for larger version

Name:	mustang gunbay open.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	771.0 KB
ID:	2109189   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0237.JPG
Views:	293
Size:	3.80 MB
ID:	2109190   Click image for larger version

Name:	p51 build restart 006.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	779.1 KB
ID:	2109191  
Old 07-14-2015, 04:45 PM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

That is cool. I would be afraid to fly it if I put all that work into it. My Dad was a Plane captain (crew chief) On PBYs and patrolled the North Atlantic in WW2. My Uncle was my hero he piloted a C46 over the Hump. I imagine my self as a 21 year old kid flying a C46 half way around the world and then using it to fly gasoline into dirt strips in the jungle. I every once in a while think about building those airplanes. But I just wouldn't fly them enough to justify the effort and money. And they would be big and hard to keep up. So I do admire your work.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:24 AM
donnyman

Joe

Aviation is a big part of your famlies lives and is shown by your skills.

I have reached a stage that fear of crashing and time spent is of little consequence. Can't take it with me! Many spend countless hours at much less productive pursuits with nothing to show for it, I can't think of much that makes me happier than seeing my birds come together, I really did not start out with the idea of building big it just migrated that way so many oppurtunities came my way it was almost impossible to resist.

Swap meets and such keep my expenses to a minimum, not many people building so prices are reasonable and goodies are all over the place. I purchased a large size scale FW-190 Kit with All the scale accessaries and a set of sierra retracts w/tires, all for $350, (just a fiberglass fuselage could cost that much, and Now I am in the fullfilling all my model aviation dreams.) sometimes I have to pinch myself.

I have a set of plans for the catalina (a pretty machine) and the C-46 (i think) I know I have the Ziroli C-47 kit - plans and retracts so it is in my build que. my biggest problem is finishing, I want to build so many different birds it is a distraction. but more kits and plans keep showing up. I got so many blessings I can't keep up with them. it's a rough job but somebody gotta do it.

As far as flying goes I become bored after making a few circuits of the field unless I can get in a lot of manuvers, constant left turns brings me to tears and makes me sleepy.
The following users liked this post:
Believer (02-07-2021)
Old 07-16-2015, 04:58 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Your kindred spirit to me Donny with your building philosophy!
Old 07-17-2015, 05:03 AM
donnyman

Flyer

It is good to know others feel the way I do!

It is getting pretty quiet around here lately, I can only guess our associates have better things to do than shoot the breeze here. I was hoping to see more activity with the controline birds being put together, Cuz I had been piddlin in that area a bit and considering carving out a flight circle behind the house now the the grass has been cut. my ringmaster is all but complete and is at the stage were I begin to lose interest. (covering stage) I have to force my self to finish stuff.

In post 1603 I showed the gunbay of my stang. Yesterday I spent several hours looking for componets to complete the guns for it ............ it is pitiful hard to do things like that here the stores don't carry much in way of accessories and I can't blame them few people exercise their creative side......Do you remember the old fixit shops that used to be around were some person could repair almost anything and didn't soak you for it?? The last place here was a electronics shop that I am not sure still exist, I tried to repair a TV converter box and got down to the last component and could only find it in lots of 50 or more, Bummer.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:15 AM
FlyerInOKC

Yeah I know what you mean. I remember the TV repairman making house calls! If it couldn't fix it he would slide the chassis out the back and rake it with him. A week later he was back and it was as good as new. I remember when small stuff like toasters and mixers were repairable. I remember building Heathkit radios and stereo components they were great stuff! Now its a throw away world, use it up throw it away. The down button for the temperature etc on my wife's oven quit working. Its a touchpad so I had to buy the whole front panel for $160 and it didn't include the control board attached to it. Ridiculous! Back to something more interesting, I posted an update on my projects in the thread below check it out if you're bored.

Mike

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-...l#post12071384
Old 07-17-2015, 09:09 AM
Joe Fisher

Well its sprinkling rain and the humidity is way to high to dope on eater my real Cub or the Charger.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00353.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	2.42 MB
ID:	2109700  
Old 07-17-2015, 10:29 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Yeah I know what you mean. I remember the TV repairman making house calls! If it couldn't fix it he would slide the chassis out the back and rake it with him. A week later he was back and it was as good as new. I remember when small stuff like toasters and mixers were repairable. I remember building Heathkit radios and stereo components they were great stuff! Now its a throw away world, use it up throw it away. ...
Mike
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-...l#post12071384
Yeah remember Allied Radio and Heathkit, and Knight Kits? All gone. The local Radio Shack, the last bastion of local electronic supplies has gone/ Now only online ordering and shipping costs and it's hard to browse for adapting parts for a particular application by holding in your hand. And long gone are the drug store tube checkers for those old tube type TVs and radios. Three years ago I found a place that would reface the copper disc in my Avalon starter solenoid and sell me a new contact set. All for about $15. They are probably gone also now. Modeling is one of the last do it yourself pastimes available. Thanks for that.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:26 PM
BrightGarden

Originally Posted by donnyman
Flyer

It is good to know others feel the way I do!

It is getting pretty quiet around here lately, I can only guess our associates have better things to do than shoot the breeze here....
Hi y'all - I'm bringing some CL planes on line - hope flying is the reason that everybody has been so quiet lately(!)

https://youtu.be/_4iJW56dOn8
Old 07-17-2015, 12:29 PM
FlyerInOKC

I had a guy who use to rebuild starters, alternator, even generators nothing to big. I once watched him rebuild a starter off a Caterpillar D9. He would do marine alternators but wouldn't touch aviation alternators even though they were built the same. He always suspected someone slipped an aviation alternator in as marine but he couldn't prove it. On my personal stuff I would tell him I didn't need the sandblast and repaint job and we charge me accordingly. He hit 65 and was talking about retiring when he died of a massive heart attack while watching the TV. Poor sod!
Old 07-17-2015, 01:29 PM
donnyman

The comments here had me thinking of the first tv set my family got. it was A big screen black and white 21 incher 200 pound console, I think my dad paid $700 or so for it, today I am looking at a color 19 incher with remote control that weighs 2 lbs for $98. It ain't all bad! but if it fails you pitch it in the garbage go on line and order another and they drop it at your front door. I don't know how to react to all the changes.
The following users liked this post:
Believer (02-07-2021)
Old 07-17-2015, 08:02 PM
Joe Fisher

Our first TV I think was 12" round in a great big console. The stations weren't on all of the time during the day you would just get a test pattern until there was programing on. During the day on week ends they had jalopy racing with no commentary or punkin seed hydroplane races. I really wanted one of those. Now they have jet skies. Don't seem the same. To day I started to make a list of materials to build a new Yellow Bird. It makes me feel bad to see the wreckage It didn't deserve that it was all my fault,just dumb.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:15 PM
Joe Fisher

One thing I really like are my camcorders. I am on my 5th one since 1990. Every one is so much better than the last. This new one is about 1/5th the size of the first one. It uses a memory stick that records up to 28 hours in HD,on the flat screen led it looks like you are there. It has I think 50 power zoom and picture stabilization.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:17 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I qualify by age, 56, but only being flying sice I was 50. Nobody in my family flew model airplanes.
I picked up the bug when I moved close to the old RC World ( doesnt exist now).
I remember the old TVs, no cable. We had a roof top antenna and every week I have to go up to the roof to adjust the thing.
No remote, the only TV in the house was in the living room.
After the trainer my second model was an Ultrastick 60 size with a 4 stroke Saito.
good days
Old 07-18-2015, 06:29 AM
FireBee
My Feedback: (34)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Donny, post 1501 you mention P-3C plans. Can you tell me if they are different set than the Loud Designs?
Im a retired P-3C NFO, VP-9 & VP-1, and someday plan to build an RC version.

1. 1/10th scale, 120" WS Charles G Loud III mammoth scale plans for a P-3 Orion. The aircraft is 1/10th scale giving a wing span of 120" with a length of 152". http://www.bylouddesign.com/products/p-3-orion/

thanks, Mike P.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:53 AM
donnyman

WOW! you guys got me reminising all over the place ...JOE yes I remember the tv test patterns and the no program times, but back then even the test patterns were interesting, my neighbor had the round screen console tv before we got ours it had a lousy picture but better than nothing. now I had a real fondness for jalopy racing but more of a interest in the "Punkin seed racers"? I wanted one real bad but couldn't because we lived in the housing projects, but my high school friend had several his family raced. He lived In the coastal bay in brooklyn not to far from me, and boy was I ever jealous, his father he and his brother build one big enough for a car engine, (Not too many rules back then) Can you say fast? but he was topped by my other friend who had a piper cub on floats just down the street/bay.

You mentioned camcorders My first was a radio shack shoulder unit It took excellent pictures I loved it, cost me over a thousand bucks even with my sons employee discount. I recently bought a digital camera I hold in one hand, that does all the other unit did and more and cost less than $300.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:14 AM
donnyman

Default Rc world

Originally Posted by lopflyers
I qualify by age, 56, but only being flying sice I was 50. Nobody in my family flew model airplanes.
I picked up the bug when I moved close to the old RC World ( doesnt exist now).
I remember the old TVs, no cable. We had a roof top antenna and every week I have to go up to the roof to adjust the thing.
No remote, the only TV in the house was in the living room.
After the trainer my second model was an Ultrastick 60 size with a 4 stroke Saito.
good days
Hey what happened to RC WORLD we almost bought a house there several years ago, we really liked Orlando. I remember they got hit by a big storm did that take it out??? what happened??? I met Bob Violet there, he flew a ducted fan bird, The fastest I had ever seen.

In the 1950's our outdoor antenna didn't work any better than the indoor because our building blocked the signal, putting it on the roof only entertained the vandals. (housing projects)
Old 07-18-2015, 10:28 AM
donnyman

Mike P. (firebee)

I bought the P-3 plans as a gift for a friend And I don't remember much about them except the plane is pretty big designed for ELECT. motors. my buddy Curtis has since purchased a laser cut short kit that is really nice! and is currently making nacelles from foam.

I will have to check on the details for you, meanwhile if you will modify your post some data got scrambled. but if I read it right you have what we have.....Tell us more about the p-3 from your perspective. got pictures? PLEASE!
Old 07-26-2015, 09:15 AM
donnyman

Default P3 orion

Originally Posted by FireBee
Donny, post 1501 you mention P-3C plans. Can you tell me if they are different set than the Loud Designs?
Im a retired P-3C NFO, VP-9 & VP-1, and someday plan to build an RC version.

1. 1/10th scale, 120" WS Charles G Loud III mammoth scale plans for a P-3 Orion. The aircraft is 1/10th scale giving a wing span of 120" with a length of 152". http://www.bylouddesign.com/products/p-3-orion/

thanks, Mike P.
OK I finally got my Info together so here is what we are working with.

PLANS are by Pat Trittle -- 84 inch span p3 orion for elect. motors, a laser cut kit from manzano laser works and I was quite pleased with the quality of the kit. We are currently making nacelles from foam, we intend to make molds. and probably more than one plane.

The version you mention is from Australia with a price tag of $990 for the laser kit and plans. We have less than a third of that invested thus far.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:12 AM
FlyerInOKC

I may have to build an Old Timer at some point I have always loved the look and I have plenty of small OS engines I can use.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:51 AM
ratshooter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Donnyman I don't know if this is helpful or not but you asked if the foil covering would affect the reception on your radio with the antenna inside of the plane. I think it might. I remember reading that people were losing reception on planes covered with aluminum monokote when the antenna was run through the fuse and it was suggested that the antenna be routed outside the plane. Hope that helps.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:28 AM
FlyerInOKC

The 2.4 stuff works well with Flite Metal which is aluminum however; if you are going 72 mHz I would route it outside. Besides outside is old school just like the airplane!
Old 07-27-2015, 08:29 AM
BrightGarden

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I may have to build an Old Timer at some point I have always loved the look and I have plenty of small OS engines I can use.
Flyer, I vote you pick a plan off outerzone that doesn't have any photos with it, then send Steve the photos when you are done.

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=6085
Old 07-27-2015, 10:05 AM
FlyerInOKC

I was leaning more toward a Gladiator or a Playboy Senior.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.