Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 11:11 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Talk about things changing I just saw an online ad from the Home Depot for a Dremel 3D printer!
Old 07-27-2015, 11:34 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by ratshooter
Donnyman I don't know if this is helpful or not but you asked if the foil covering would affect the reception on your radio with the antenna inside of the plane. I think it might. I remember reading that people were losing reception on planes covered with aluminum monokote when the antenna was run through the fuse and it was suggested that the antenna be routed outside the plane. Hope that helps.
Yeah, I intend to keep the antenna to the outside of my bird no matter what. I have the option to go 72 or 3.2 so no swet!
Old 07-27-2015, 11:38 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Talk about things changing I just saw an online ad from the Home Depot for a Dremel 3D printer!
Uh oh I'm in trouble, been wanting one of those. be easy to make scale goodies.

Last edited by donnyman; 07-27-2015 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:41 AM
FlyerInOKC

Don't get into too big a hurry the price is $999.99!
Old 07-27-2015, 12:38 PM
donnyman

I gotta see the finished part quality. there are several other 3d printers on the market using various molding mediums. I would prefer a machine that is capable of using more than one molding medium. i could definitly put it to good use.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:47 PM
donnyman

Default good weekend

Saturday I took a pic of a couple of my buds in my shop And had to clear the Mustang from the work bench. Earl (on the left ) is deciding on his next build, a DH Mosquito or FW-190. He is new to the hobby and has just recently soloed. Curtis (on right) is carving out a nacelle for his p3 Orion. Which I have come to realize is not as esay as first thought. converting from a flat drawing to a 3d object with a knife and sand paper is a messy challenge. Especially when you are not exactly sure of what it truly looks like. the hot wire cutter was put to good use too.

The next afternoon Sunday, I visited another friends house to assist his build of a F7F Tigercat twin, I've had a fun filled weekend.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0245.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	3.76 MB
ID:	2111408  
Old 07-27-2015, 02:19 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Joe Fisher
Well its sprinkling rain and the humidity is way to high to dope on eater my real Cub or the Charger.
I have been meaning to ask, couldn't use a retarder in your dope to prevent blushing and just paint away? I used to do that on cars.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:57 PM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
I have been meaning to ask, couldn't use a retarder in your dope to prevent blushing and just paint away? I used to do that on cars.
I have retarder But!!!!!! I can use the FAA prescribed mixture of blush retarder amount at 40 -60 degree dew point. The dew point has been running over 70 degrees for the last two weeks. Today it was 75 degrees dew point and 100 degrees temp. Its kind of funny we keep it 72 degrees in the house and I go out side and my glasses fog up.

Last edited by Joe Fisher; 07-27-2015 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:35 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Fisher
I have retarder But!!!!!! I can use the FAA prescribed mixture of blush retarder amount at 40 -60 degree dew point. The dew point has been running over 70 degrees for the last two weeks. Today it was 75 degrees dew point and 100 degrees temp. Its kind of funny we keep it 72 degrees in the house and I go out side and my glasses fog up.
Cooling coil of the air conditioning unit removes the humidity.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:13 AM
FlyerInOKC

Your buddy Earl has good taste in aircraft! I hope he does a build on the site!
Old 07-28-2015, 12:30 PM
donnyman

Your buddy Earl has good taste in aircraft! I hope he does a build on the site!
Your right! I'll ask him about the on site build, but first i will have to find the rest of the plans, they must be located in one of my safe places i know I have them but where?
Old 07-28-2015, 12:43 PM
donnyman

I just got home from looking at a 3d printer at home depot, MakerBot or something like that but looking at the quality of the parts it makes there is no way I'd spring for the $2900 price tag.

haven't seen any of the others in person which is my primary requirement, gotta be sure it is what I need more than my want. the heat outside stopped my search and made me run for home.

Last edited by donnyman; 07-29-2015 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:03 PM
BrightGarden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default It's about time, already...

I thought I would throw in a "you're never too old to learn new tricks" story.

Over the last year I have accumulated a few (cough cough) engines, sometimes getting good deals even with them being attached to serviceable, if not new and unflown, airframes.

Well, you know the story of good intentions - where do they get lost?

So I just received a new trio of (used) diesels yesterday.
Now the thing is I have never actually run diesels, very intrigued, and over the last year probably appropriated about 8-10 of them.

I had the fuel, even have the fixin's to brew my own (ether, kerosene, castor oil).

So I broke out and mounted a PAW .061 when I got it, yesterday. Grasped it in my helpful Black and Decker Workmate, connected some plumbing and fuel and started flipping.

And flipping.

I did get a few pops, then purrs, out of it, which was totally cool. The first time I did some diesel combustion. Finally got around to it. Cross that off my bucket list.

So, I set up once again, today. After reading the instructions last night (cough cough) and finding a few helpful tidbits of info online that cleared up some questions, I started figuring out what starting one of these little guys was all about.

The whole NV / Tommy-bar relationship was a little hazy, even after reading about it several months ago.
Getting the height of the fuel tank was very critical I learned. Something about these diesels being good at drawing, but disliking gravity feed to the NV. Keep the fuel at the level of the NV. It got very juicy very quickly when the fuel was even a little above the NV.

Figuring this compression/fuel thing out one step at a time, I screwed in the Tommy-bar until I felt kickback during the flip, then eased about 1/16 of a turn each of next flips.
As I decreased compression, the kickback would reduce to just a little and than I would get a burp, then a purr.
Sometimes, I would lose the kick at all and have to start over again, going in about 1/2 turn to get back to the beginning.
I started with the NV two full turns out.
Finally, things would be just right and the purr would convert to the buzz of actually running. Very gratifying.
I would turn the NV in 1/2 turn once the engine started running, but this is where I have a question.

I tried to ease compression out but there wasn't positive pressure on the T-bar as I eased it out.
The contra-piston seemed to lock at whatever the position was when the engine started.
The T-bar would just spin in the breeze, no pressure from keeping it from doing so.
Is this correct or do I have to do something?

Overall, I have at least figured how to run this particular engine, starting it and restarting it.
If I can do it, anybody can do it(!)
I think it will draw some attention at the club I joined this year. I think they are expecting most new guys to fly electric ARF's
But running engines does not flying make.
My thoughts are now moving on to a small CL plane I can try this engine out on, and then move it to an old time design, probably a 1950's design off outerzone.

Cheers, y'all - Blue Skies

Poughkeepsie Pete

Name:	PAW 061 First Day Ever Running Diesel.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	2111540  
Old 07-28-2015, 06:43 PM
trainermaster80
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bright garden,
some dezel engines require a spring type clamp of music wire. Make a circle that clamps rather tight around the engine at just below the head.
Then make an arm with a small loop that goes over the adjusting arm. With enough pressure around the head clamp you can adjust as needed but the clamp will prevent the adjusting arm from moveing as the engine runs.
Adjust tension as needed to do just that.
Trainermaster 80. Good luck

Last edited by trainermaster80; 07-28-2015 at 06:45 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-29-2015, 05:00 AM
FlyerInOKC

Donny I wish I lived closer to Manor so I could hang out with you, Earl, and Curtis, it would be a blast!

Pete congratulations on your diesel acquisition and a successful bench run!
Old 07-29-2015, 09:46 AM
donnyman

Donny I wish I lived closer to Manor so I could hang out with you, Earl, and Curtis, it would be a blast!

Pete congratulations on your diesel acquisition and a successful bench run!
Don't lose all hope, I have a new shop in the build up stages that will accomodate a lot more bodies, so maybe someday you will be able to visit and spend a few days. build/bull sessions are one of my favored past times. the more the merrier. That invite goes to all you other guys too!! we might even put in some air time out back.

Hey PETE!

I haven't messed with a diesel since the late 1950's all I remember is it was difficult to start, easy on fuel consumption, ran like blue blazes and smelled to high heaven. Once you get accustomed to them you should have a blast. Back in the old days the the guys in Brooklyn that used diesels swore by them.

Last edited by donnyman; 07-29-2015 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:47 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Given the choice between a Mosquito and an FW190 I'd go for the Focke-Wulf every time. I've never flown either but the old Mick Reeves FW190 was said to fly like a proper aerobatic shovel while the highly tapered wings on the Mossie suggest to me that it might be a bit awkward to land...
Old 07-31-2015, 07:00 AM
FlyerInOKC

I don't know the Mosquito has that classic de Haviland look like DH88 Comet and the DH89 Dragon Rapid. It depends on your style of flying. If you are going to fly it in a scale manner that's one thing but if you want to really tear a hole in the sky that's another.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:07 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
Given the choice between a Mosquito and an FW190 I'd go for the Focke-Wulf every time. I've never flown either but the old Mick Reeves FW190 was said to fly like a proper aerobatic shovel while the highly tapered wings on the Mossie suggest to me that it might be a bit awkward to land...
You maybe right on the beam but it is my experience that if one gets to know the flight characteristics of a bird, landing is not a problem. On all test flights(maiden) I try to feel out the low speed handling during passes down the runway in preparation for landing. most people get in trouble from trying to land too slow, before they know how the plane handles. most planes will land themselve if properly trimmed.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:25 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, Pa Ben, Is that a Heckler in your avitar? I had one several years ago and loved it so much I bought a second kit. I recently found it in the attic and am finishing it as an electric. I'm 77 now and have been slowing down, noticing my reflexes and eyesight aren't the same any more. Getting old is hell. I started flying glow planes (CL) in 1950. I was 13. Bought some RC equipment in 1970. I saw guys flying reeds, but at the time, I was a USAF pilot training instructor in T-37s. This was about 1967. A buddy and I went to a Combined meet (CL, FF, RC) and I saw guys flying RC pattern. I saw all those switches and asked where the stick was? I decided I would wait until they sorted out this RC stuff before I bought in. Got a Kraft 1970 single stick and didn't look back. Back to the Heckler.

I'm using a Suppo 3520/6 840kv with a 70 amp ESC. I ought to test on Friday or Saturday. I plan to test & trim on a 3S, but have 4Ss for normal use. The motor is good up to 7 cells, so I have a series adapter on order so I can join 2 of my 3S packs. Before I fly, I plan to measure the whole plane so I can scratch a copy if the worst happens.

I had to reinforce my original Heckler twice. I had moved the rudder servo to in front of the fin since the plane was nose heavy with a GMS .47 & OS .46AX. Good thing I went pull-pull because I did a snap roll and the fin broke at the fuselage. The pull-pull cables saved me and I got it down. I glued it back and added 2-56 rods for tail bracing. Later I was doing a full power blender and all the shear webs on the left wing panel broke loose. I pulled the covering off the bottom of the wing and fixed the bad shear webs and re-glued all of them on both sides with 30-min epoxy. I'll post some pictures of the electric one once it's finished.

Name:	4-Elevator #1A.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	2112832   Click image for larger version

Name:	3-Heckler in Elevator.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	2112835   Click image for larger version

Name:	Heckler-Ed-Vert-2.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	344.7 KB
ID:	2112837  
Old 08-04-2015, 07:12 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Hi.
Ed. I enjoyed your articles on RCReport. Too bad the mag is gone.
I am 88 but I still try to fly.
My knees are weak, so I have a four wheel walker locked up at the field so I dont have to carry it back and forth.
To compensate for my weak eyes I use a stabilizer in the airplane to rescue the airplane if I lose orientation. It works for electric but I am still trying to get a stabilizer to work with my gas powered airplanes. The manufacturers say they will work but I haven't found one that will. Vibration drives them crazy at the low RPM's.
I really didnt start to go downhill until about 85 so you have a few years left.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:12 AM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, Dirtybird,

Thanks for the kudo on the column. I'd been doing it for 10 years, so I was getting burned out on it anyway. I still have copies of the articles if you are interested in any of them.

I've got a couple of stabilizers, but haven't tried one yet in the air. Some of my planes don't have room for the correct placement of the gyro. I'd like one in a couple of seaplanes for a straight takeoff.

After I fell down once as I spun to keep track of the plane. After that I had a buddy hold on to my shoulder so I wouldn't fall if I had to turn quickly. I finally got a nice fold-up chair to sit in and fly. Works great.
I was also having dizzy spells right when I stood up. I got to researching and found that the dizziness, among other things, was a side effect of statins. Both my cholesterol and blood pressure meds were statins. I checked out a few of the natural or supplement sites and found several that do the same thing without the side effects. I went cold turkey off zocor and micardis and am feeling much better with the dizzy spells, loss of memory, muscle loss and a desire to sleep all the time. Of course, the supplements didn't help my knees or lower back.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:58 AM
koastrc

This note is for all you "old timers", but especially for you Donny. With each post we, the old guys get to relive some of the true joys of this hobby. Donny and his friends working in the shop on a project together. Were did that go?The other day I was setting up a forty size trainer. Two young fellows asked how does that thing work? Thing? After a short course for the two young men about the trainer. Asked what they were flying. They both had some electric somethings and a couple of quads. They had all sorts of stuff. Fancy looking things with power supplies and digital chargers. Stacks of batteries and piles of other things. Looked over at my stall and it was full of things I built or my friends built and had given to me. Looked at all their stuff and could see nothing that was built as we know it. Not knocking the young men at all. See it as a shame they are not able to have the pleasure we all enjoyed in our hobby. Thanks Donny for starting this thread.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:01 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by koastrc
This note is for all you "old timers", but especially for you Donny. With each post we, the old guys get to relive some of the true joys of this hobby. Donny and his friends working in the shop on a project together. Were did that go?The other day I was setting up a forty size trainer. Two young fellows asked how does that thing work? Thing? After a short course for the two young men about the trainer. Asked what they were flying. They both had some electric somethings and a couple of quads. They had all sorts of stuff. Fancy looking things with power supplies and digital chargers. Stacks of batteries and piles of other things. Looked over at my stall and it was full of things I built or my friends built and had given to me. Looked at all their stuff and could see nothing that was built as we know it. Not knocking the young men at all. See it as a shame they are not able to have the pleasure we all enjoyed in our hobby. Thanks Donny for starting this thread.
I hear you loud and clear! Take a peek at the attachmment.

I am happy you enjoy this thread I can't get enough of it, many of the posts could put a tear in your eye. Please stop by often it get's kinda quiet around here sometime.

Welcome to the world of oldtimers................................Donny
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
build it yourself.pdf (59.7 KB, 61 views)
Old 08-05-2015, 05:37 PM
donnyman

ED_Moorman

You hit a note with me, I've dropped my cholestrol meds for pretty much the same reasons, The way I see it the side affects do more damage and have more symptoms than the medical problem that "might happen". And I flat refuse to take anymore dioretics, I am not water proof. (if you know what I mean) I need to check my blood pressure meds if they cause muscle weakness theyre history.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.