Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 10:08 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts
Default 3d

If you remember I spoke of getting a 3d printer, well a little investigating has provided me with a host of info on the subject and it looks like a machine can be assembled that can do all of the 3d stuff, print and cut if properly designed. I was just checking out a ad from Servo City (I love em) they have most of the hardware necessary to assemble most of the 3d machine.

I estimate a hundred bucks will get you well within the 3d park, the only problem I have now is getting a clear table to start assembly. (gotta get that mustang done) My intent is to use the components from the two plotters I was going to trash so I think I have about 60% of the necessary electronics and stepping motor stuff.

my tinkering side is all atwitter.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:52 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
... except maybe a shot of hooch in our ginger ale every now n then so the smiles don't go away.

Yeah, I do either my peach brandy or scotch - whichever direction my fingers happen to reach.

What i have found is when it all get's unbearable I break out my old trusty trainer plane and just putt around the sky for a while and it all seem's to come together and is well. Taking my time to enjoy the moment while cleaning the caster oil from the side of my bird is sorta therapuetic or something, ...

Yup, got several to choose from too. If I need some serious SLOWING DOWN TIME I go to my CraftAir Butterfly, CG Gentle Lady or LiveWire Champ. If it's simply a "gotta relax a bit" situation I go to the SIG Kadet Mk-II or CG Eagle-II. For those days I wanna just have some easygoing fun and tear the sky up a bit I go to my SIG MidStar-40 or CG Sr. Falcon.

Yeah, it's ALL good! Best meds on Earth!!!!!!

Old 08-18-2015, 11:14 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have plenty to do when i get bored ,building ,riding or tinkering with other prodjects iam slowy finishing . Iam 60 and still active and refuse to give up on doing anything that puts a smile on my ugly face ! lol Good luck guys ! joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	road king 97.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	2115221   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0206.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	2115222   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	2115223  
Old 08-18-2015, 11:19 AM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was 11 with my first free-flighter, U-control in 1970 to 75.
First R/C radio was a World Engines 4 ch. single stick in a RCM plans built 110" California Coaster sailplane.
Monocote and Hotstuff made building fun and exciting.
Been all through the glow and gas engine part of the hobby, just ordered a Spitfire with electronics pack from flighttest.com, punch em in on u-tube.
Still flying float planes at Lake Topaz, I'm now 71.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:17 PM
smoketrailcharlie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HEY GUYS i THINK i MAY HAVE MOST OF YOU BEAT FOR AGE,I'm 78,Lusted after models since I was just a Lad and watche oter older kids fly thier rubber band birds.I only had two control line plans cox p51 and a plane of my own design with two 020 engins.Always wanted to get into flying but other things became more important.L now fly a few hellis and am lusting after a park flyer, Maybe hope for this old geezer yet smoke trail charlie
Old 08-18-2015, 12:55 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Over the last 2 years i have sold off around 70 of my nitro and big gas planes and gone all electric . Yep you got me beat Charlie but at our age its not a race .lol joe
Old 08-18-2015, 03:32 PM
smoketrailcharlie

Yea Joe Not a race,Seems a shame to get up in the morning,look in the mirror and realize that's the best you will ever look again. oh well keep em flying .Oh yes sky King and the song bird .I flew many a mile with Sky and his niece Penny Do you remember?
Old 08-18-2015, 03:33 PM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

When you get old you have to think young. If you think old you feel old. I think young. I'm just getting out of general aviation flying. Have a plane to sell. I've been back in RC for a year now. I've built an Ugly Stik, needs engine run-in n final setup. Currently building an LT-40. Close to finishing. I am learning to fly again with a gutter pipe SPAD Debonair. Getting better but need more practice. Was RC flying last few times in 100* plus weather. Airplane needed a turbo charger to help it take off.

My little farm keeps me busy, always out in the weather, physically fit doing something. I need to finish siding a storage building. Built it myself with help from my tractor. 20x20x10. Only thing I contracted out was the shingled roof. I was going to do it myself but the heat caught up with me n decide to contract it out. Now I have the project on hold til this very hot weather passes. Another couple of weeks n I will get back on the project. It already partially filled.

I am 72 but I think n feel like 20.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:53 PM
donnyman

ET pilot

I am in pretty much the same situation as you, I do not farm my place I lease it out. I too think I am in my early twenties until I try to get out of bed then the 74's is all over me, I can get around real good but I run out of steam real quick especially with the heat.

About the building thing, I too have a building under construction 30'x30' with one section 16' high to fit my motorhome. It has been a task but it is very cheap as most of the material was given to me. these are old pictures of the m/home section the hobbyshop will be to the left out another 30 feet. I was using my old van as a scaffold. I can only work on it early in the morning in this weather till about 1:00 pm then I'm cooked for the day. That building on the left is my old storage shed I'll tear it down soon. I was into general aviation but after I got my ticket it became too boreing.

I see you are in E. TEX. anywhere near lake Livingston? that is where my son has his place.

Name:	DSCF0156.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	2.38 MB
ID:	2115354   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0158.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	2.39 MB
ID:	2115355  
Old 08-18-2015, 05:00 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by smoketrailcharlie
Yea Joe Not a race,Seems a shame to get up in the morning,look in the mirror and realize that's the best you will ever look again. oh well keep em flying .Oh yes sky King and the song bird .I flew many a mile with Sky and his niece Penny Do you remember?
Most definetly if you read through this thread you will find Sky King mentioned many times, I would watch the program when my siblings weren't fighting over the tv. I think a link to the series is on this thread. ....Good memories!!
Old 08-18-2015, 05:07 PM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Well two weeks ago Saturday I got slowed down. We have some farm land up in Nebraska with 40 acres of CRP land. During the summer my wife and I work at controlling the weeds by walking around with hoes and chopping the thistles and ceder trees. I was walking and chopping in 3' tall grass and fell in a sink hole. Broke my left leg. The hole is about 4' deep and just big enough for me to fit in. In early July I crashed Yellow bird. So today I ordered the balsa to build a new one. I think I can get an office chair and build it in my hobby room. I am recovering my real J-3 Cub and now that is on hold until I can walk. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSGOFa8ucJw

Name:	DSC00644.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	4.44 MB
ID:	2115359  
Old 08-18-2015, 06:22 PM
Carlos Murphy

Ah yes, the Song Bird, Bamboo Bomber, Cessna Bob Cat.
Later shows he traded her in for a Cessna 310.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:35 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Fisher
Well two weeks ago Saturday I got slowed down. We have some farm land up in Nebraska with 40 acres of CRP land. During the summer my wife and I work at controlling the weeds by walking around with hoes and chopping the thistles and ceder trees. I was walking and chopping in 3' tall grass and fell in a sink hole. Broke my left leg. The hole is about 4' deep and just big enough for me to fit in. In early July I crashed Yellow bird. So today I ordered the balsa to build a new one. I think I can get an office chair and build it in my hobby room. I am recovering my real J-3 Cub and now that is on hold until I can walk. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSGOFa8ucJw
Joe, are you sure you weren't back talking the wife again and she put you back in line? Sorry to hear about the leg, that is some bad break! I don't know if you have a Relax the Back store nearby but they make a memory foam cushion I put on a cheap secretary's chair that make sitting at a desk/table very comfortable. It really helped me before and after back surgery. A secretary's chair has no arms to get in the way when you build and they are adjustable like office chairs. The chairs are easy to find at Office Depot/Max or Staples.

Mike
Old 08-19-2015, 06:58 AM
donnyman

Hold on there mr. fisher!

you are having far too much fun, now your laid up with a busted leg. ......Hmmmmm some guys will do anything to get build time in.

Be careful on that leg, Is that a rod in your leg I hope you are not too uncomfortable that break looked feirce.

oh yea you needn't fear the honeydo's will be waiting for you after the healing is done

get well soon! all the best to ya!
Old 08-19-2015, 07:06 AM
KC Air

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even the constant aches and pains of aging are dulled with a plane in the air.. but that Xray makes me think there is definitely a limit to that
Old 08-19-2015, 07:20 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

One thing for sure after that leg heals you'll be the first to know at the flying field that the weather is about to change!
Old 08-19-2015, 08:40 AM
Joe Fisher

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
One thing for sure after that leg heals you'll be the first to know at the flying field that the weather is about to change!
Yikes I hadn't thought of that.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:54 AM
KC Air

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe.. I just looked to see where Galesburg is in relation to KC.. it said the population in 2010 was 126! Now that is a small town!
Old 08-19-2015, 11:25 AM
Joe Fisher

I live 4 miles north of town. My house is the only one on the section.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:34 PM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Donnyman, here are a few pictures of my storage building early on. Don't have any since the roof was shingled. I have plastic covering the door openings. I need to finish the siding so I can build n fit the doors. The weather seems to be cooling now so I may get started on this sooner than expected.

I made the pictured scaffold years ago when I built my workshop. Since then I have kept it at my hangar at the local airport. It has gotten used quite often at the airport by some of the tenants fixing their hangar. The scaffold is on wheels so it is easy to move around. I would move it from side to side as I worked. All supplies were lifted topside with my front end loader. I even came up with a jig so I could easily install the trusses by myself. Working alone I gave lots of thought to how I would do things in a safe manner. I am glad to see someone else building a building.

My Ugly Stik now resides in this building until I get time to finish it up. In the mean time I just practice flying n trying to get my landings a bit better.

Regarding Lake Livingston, I am about 2 hours North on Highway 59.

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	2.24 MB
ID:	2115547   Click image for larger version

Size:	2.38 MB
ID:	2115548   Click image for larger version

Views:	55
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	2115549  
Old 08-19-2015, 03:08 PM
smoketrailcharlie

I have a feeling the only qualifications I have for this forum is I'm old .At lest my birth certificate says so,My Wife and I went for a short canoe trip this am.I Broke my Tennessee Walker mare when I was 74.Built a new chicken house and storage shed so not too bad eh? I never knew Sky King was on TV I listened to it on radio ,Movies were 15 cents earned by selling pop bottles Sure great to Chat with you guys..Any Vets out there? I retired from the Army in 79 Smoke trail Charlie
Old 08-19-2015, 03:25 PM
Carlos Murphy

Yes, Sky King was on TV but before TV my brother and I listened to The B-bar-B Ranch and the Shadow.

I was Air Force 62 to 66.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:27 PM
donnyman

ET pilot

your looking good, it is built much the same as my storage shed which is smaller than what you have . I covered my roof with corrugated metal for fear of hail, and will do the same with the new shed which will be all corrugated metal. The scaffold is the way to go, I am not using the truck anymore a friend loaned me one of those step ladder things like those used at home depot it doesn't roll all that well but fits the purpose quite well and is a lot more stable.

This will be my last major build, I am too rusty and slow to do more. you see I also built my home several years ago with a 12'x24' shop for the second floor, Which I widened by four feet and thought I would never need more space -WRONG!- totally rebuilt a 75' mobile home and garage for my daughter so no more for me. I am currently beginning to down size because the city is moving in on me and the realtors a slobbering at the bit.........
Old 08-19-2015, 03:40 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Carlos Murphy
Yes, Sky King was on TV but before TV my brother and I listened to The B-bar-B Ranch and the Shadow.

I was Air Force 62 to 66.
Hey I had forgotten about the B-bar-B and my whole family did the radio thing, do you remember ...The squeeking door?, I rather preferred the radio it fostered imagination and the family LISTENED as a unit....................I was Air Force also 1959 thru 1967

Didn't the B bar B become a tv show also?
Old 08-19-2015, 03:56 PM
Carlos Murphy

Originally Posted by donnyman
Hey I had forgotten about the B-bar-B and my whole family did the radio thing, do you remember ...The squeeking door?, I rather preferred the radio it fostered imagination and the family LISTENED as a unit....................I was Air Force also 1959 thru 1967

Didn't the B bar B become a tv show also?
I couldn't remember the B-bar-B Ranch as a TV show so I checked Wikipedia and found no listing.

Chuck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.