Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 09:26 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Jack, if you had the SIG Akrobat you might contact SIG they may have a copy of the plans they could sell you. They do have the assembly manual available as a free download.

http://www.kavanrc.de/instructions/sigcl16akrobat.pdf

Mike
Old 09-08-2015, 12:28 PM
jre8655

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike,

Thank you for the link to the Sig Akrobat Assembly manual. I don't remember an assembly manual coming with the kit and there is a good reason for that thought.

I went out to the garage and pulled out my old file box of old plans. I have a number of plans for control line airplanes. When I looked through them I found the original plans for the Akrobat. The reason for not remembering an assembly manual is because there wasn't one with that kit. The assembly instructions were part of the wing/elevator plan sheet.

There was a great article in the August issue of Model Aviation on Control Line Stunt-to-RC Conversion. The Akrobat just might lend itself very nicely to a conversion. May try it some day.

Jack

Old 09-08-2015, 12:57 PM
FlyerInOKC

I have seen similar C/L designs converted like the old timer FF models to R/C. I started on C/L but I prefer the freedom of R/C and yet I have a couple C/L designs I have considered converting myself. I plan at so point building a scale sailplane and using a power pod to power it into the air but would still like an old Timer and maybe a couple converted C/L designs. First I need to get all my R/C scale projects built.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:50 PM
[email protected]

Instead of my life story here are some names to jog your memory.
Fox35, Ambroid glue, Testors no 1, U-Reely control line, Trixter Invert, Warrior. OK Cub .049. Blue Blazer fuel.
Lots of others where my allowance went to Jerrys Hobby Shop in White Planes
I am 74.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:30 PM
Sundance2018

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
To each his own I was only stating my feels on the subject. ARFs, ARCs, or RTFs do work to bring new blood into the hobby, even though the drone in the news of late have a collective IQ lower than the shoe size of the one with the smallest feet!
Hear hear!! FlyerInOKC. I with you buddy.
Talk about engines, though, man those big radials are nice, but I love those 1/4 scale Bentley rotaries I've seen on that guy's big AVRO....holy cow what a machine! Have any of you dabbled in any other rotary engine work? A number of years ago I had a fellow in Australia send me a book on building 1/4 scale Bentley.

Anyway, back to the subject....

I am really starting to worry about the repercussions that the illegal drone flying is going to have on the rest of us hobbyists that keep our planes in the confines of legitimate R/C airfields. My worry is that laws will be enacted that restrict our flying because the idiot drone pilots aren't being smart.

As far as the ARFs, ARCs, and RTCs....please don't get me wrong as I don't begrudge folks that like them (I have had a few ARFs myself). I just prefer kit building. It is getting harder and harder to find good kits anymore, but am finding scratch building and developing my own designs quie rewarding.

I would love to hear opinions on BalsaUSA kits. I've never built one but have been wanting to.

BTW - this is such an awesome thread! I am glad it got started.

Tom
Old 09-08-2015, 05:47 PM
rt3232

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

speaking of drones sat down to watch the news and pushed the wrong #'s got a sales chnl that was selling quad's, complete set up for 599.95 in there demonstration, they did say it as illegal to fly above 400 ft. But did not say anything about ramifications. from what they showed they it appeared to be flying well above the 400 limit, I wonder how many fokes will buy them and do stupid things.

I have nothing against quad's but I do think the fed's should step in and make an example of one of these hi flying idiots. and we the modeling community should report them, it might just save the hobby.

Sorry about the rant

Cheers Bob T
Old 09-09-2015, 09:32 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Sundance2018
I would love to hear opinions on BalsaUSA kits. I've never built one but have been wanting to.

BTW - this is such an awesome thread! I am glad it got started.

Tom
Well Tom, I have been toying with building a Fokker DR1 for sometime. When I was in R/C the first time I purchased the VK Models kit (now owned by Proctor Enterprises) but never started it. I have spoken with my LHS and the owner there has flown a number of Triplanes and he recommends the BalsaUSA 1/4 scale DR1 because it was one of the easiest DR1 to fly and land. A lot of the DR1 can be a challange if not landed perfectly but he said the BalsaUSA was a lot more forgiving. Still I love the challange of a good build which means I haven't counted out the VK modles kit!

Mike
Old 09-09-2015, 12:28 PM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Hey FLYER!

Here's you DR-1 You probably wouldn't be interested it's a ARF! we had a big bird meet and this guy won! the meet turned out great with gobs of spectators, and all types of birds flying, 4 B17's turbines, 3d, helicopters and more. the spectators had a real good time.

This guy had a Piper cub check the pilot! 3d bust. He is Mark Johnson our AMA district V.P.

That was friday and Saturday, Sunday we decided to visit our son in East TX. on Lake Livingston in Trinity TX. Huge lake! Well two days and and a brake caliper replacement we got home after a nice trip just in time to repair my house A/C $550 later I sit here typing this. and pooped.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DR-1 .JPG
Views:	301
Size:	3.45 MB
ID:	2119007   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mark Johnson ama vice president.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	3.69 MB
ID:	2119008   Click image for larger version

Name:	M. Johson cub1.JPG
Views:	290
Size:	3.77 MB
ID:	2119012   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0276.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	3.61 MB
ID:	2119013   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0281.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	3.94 MB
ID:	2119014  

Last edited by donnyman; 09-09-2015 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:33 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Instead of my life story here are some names to jog your memory.
Fox35, Ambroid glue, Testors no 1, U-Reely control line, Trixter Invert, Warrior. OK Cub .049. Blue Blazer fuel.
Lots of others where my allowance went to Jerrys Hobby Shop in White Planes
I am 74.
Is that White plane CA or new york???? I bet your modeling History would make a good read.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:45 PM
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default royal spirit of saint louis

I'm no old timer, only 26 years old. but this might bring back memories.

here are the plans and dimensions for a very rare it by royal products, "The Spirit Of Saint Louis".

and a look at the completed model I bought about a year and a half ago. still needs servo's...

Name:	0310142050a.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	2119106   Click image for larger version

Name:	0310142049a.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	2119107   Click image for larger version

Name:	0310142050.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	2119108   Click image for larger version

Name:	0310142047a.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	2119109   Click image for larger version

Name:	0310142049.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	2119110  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Royal_Spirit_St_Louis.pdf (1.31 MB, 21 views)
Old 09-10-2015, 04:53 AM
FlyerInOKC

Nice looking DR1 Donnyman!
Old 09-11-2015, 02:23 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Nice looking DR1 Donnyman!
Yea it is pretty nice but a bit too large, the biggest arf i've seen! It flew like a kite and covered in monokote from the factory, it did not like crosswinds but was impressive in the air. It was powered by a 340?? don't remember who's an sounded strong. with smoke.
Old 09-12-2015, 03:12 AM
jayd3

Hi all
I sure miss the smell of ambroids and that other stuff that never seemed to hold sold by testors, dope and tissue than got hold of slikspan it was sure the thing to have !
And I have one of those small Jetex engines which I actual had on both a plane and a home built car neither worked very well. and the comet models ! you better be a better modeler than I was as a kid to build one of those everyone one I got seem to be cut out of alignment. R/C was certainly mystical for me I got hold of and built a De Bolt live wire Kitten but could never afford any kid of radio .

Here's to the wonder smell of Ambroids and dope !
Jayd
Old 09-12-2015, 03:14 AM
jayd3

Heres some old kits

Name:	from LG phone 031.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	2119477   Click image for larger version

Name:	from LG phone 034.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	2119478  
Old 09-12-2015, 03:19 AM
jayd3

If anyone has wings for an Lou Andrews A Ray I'd sure like to have them I fly this plane,\with a Fox 36 but the guy I bough it from had the wrong wings with it they are semi air foil and no ailerons and to much dihedral to add effective ailerons.

Jayd
Old 09-12-2015, 05:16 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by jayd3
Hi all
I sure miss the smell of ambroids and that other stuff that never seemed to hold sold by testors, dope and tissue than got hold of slikspan it was sure the thing to have !
And I have one of those small Jetex engines which I actual had on both a plane and a home built car neither worked very well. and the comet models ! you better be a better modeler than I was as a kid to build one of those everyone one I got seem to be cut out of alignment. R/C was certainly mystical for me I got hold of and built a De Bolt live wire Kitten but could never afford any kid of radio .

Here's to the wonder smell of Ambroids and dope !
Jayd

Hello jayd3

You were surely not alone in what you said, there are many here who have like feelings.

The jetex units for me were a better source of success I still have some,

Those kits you displayed hit the old memory button they look to be in very good condition.

The A-ray plans should not be difficult to get if you search some of the plans threads on this site. there is a ton of info out there.

welcome!

Name:	jetex augmentor tube.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	791.9 KB
ID:	2119490   Click image for larger version

Name:	jetex motors.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	774.3 KB
ID:	2119491  
Old 09-12-2015, 05:21 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by I-fly-any-and-all
I'm no old timer, only 26 years old. but this might bring back memories.

here are the plans and dimensions for a very rare it by royal products, "The Spirit Of Saint Louis".

and a look at the completed model I bought about a year and a half ago. still needs servo's...
I didn't know Royal made a kit of this. Nice plane!
Old 09-13-2015, 02:06 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by jayd3
If anyone has wings for an Lou Andrews A Ray I'd sure like to have them I fly this plane,\with a Fox 36 but the guy I bough it from had the wrong wings with it they are semi air foil and no ailerons and to much dihedral to add effective ailerons. Jayd
PDF plans can be found here:

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=3152

Wouldn't be hard to recreate from scratch.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:31 AM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The Jet-X reminded me of in 6th,7th and 8th grade in Redondo Beach Ca 1956. There was a little fad. There used to be Big Daddy Roth made outrageous cartoons of monsters and Revell sold kits. One of the kids made his own out of balsa and paper and paint with Testers and power them with Jet-X. They would have hooks and slide on a string like a zip line. It got to be a fad with the boys to try to out do each other. Maybe some one remembers these.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:43 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

A lot of those old Jetex planes could be remodelled in modern electric ducted fan and miniature RC, especially if enlarged a touch. Looking at some of the photos from UK clubs, some are already doing that. There are some really classy designs going back 50 years.

I was interested, but got involved in model rocketry in high school. Then the smaller engines were 3/$1 and weren't considered HAZMAT. Estes engines couldn't self ignite (like some batteries) developed a shipping container considered safe then. Things changed over time and now I could spend $10 for 3 engines. It has gotten too expensive. It'd almost be easier to have ducted fan electric rockets, IMO.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:49 PM
Joe Fisher

From #1740 I have been making progress on the new Yellow Bird.

The work went really slow at first with my broken leg I could only work half hour at a time and go nap or at least sit in the recliner. This last week I have been able to work for 2 or more hours at a time. With less pain I can move around the hobby room easier. Tomorrow I go for new X-ray and hope to be cleared to put more weight on the leg. I have all of the wing building done and I hope to salvage the old ailerons.

Name:	DSC00368.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	2.38 MB
ID:	2119671  
Old 09-14-2015, 05:26 AM
FlyerInOKC

Great progress Joe!
Old 09-15-2015, 04:51 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Joe Fisher
The Jet-X reminded me of in 6th,7th and 8th grade in Redondo Beach Ca 1956. There was a little fad. There used to be Big Daddy Roth made outrageous cartoons of monsters and Revell sold kits. One of the kids made his own out of balsa and paper and paint with Testers and power them with Jet-X. They would have hooks and slide on a string like a zip line. It got to be a fad with the boys to try to out do each other. Maybe some one remembers these.
I had my jetex set up in the same time frame as you, These were purchased at a swapmeet for old time sake. I remember the string guided cars etc. the one that surprised me were the Co2 capsule powered cars that were string guided, fascinated me when I first saw them. they were faster than the jetex but didn't last as long. I now keep a folder full of drawings for the jetex planes. A few of which I built back in the day.

How's that leg? It doesn't seem to have slowed your building progress too much, the wing is looking good.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:08 AM
Joe Fisher

I went to the Dr yesterday did some X-rays the bone growth looks like a tack weld. He told me I can put up to 30# weight on my foot. So I put my foot on a scale to get an idea how much 30# feels like, not much.
Those little Jet -X were not cars. In the old Buck Rogers movies you can clearly see the rocket ship traveling on a wire. That is where we got the idea. These things were just crazy things with V-8 engines with flames and blood shot eyes. They would not necessarily have wheels. I though there might be some small chance some of us boys could be here.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:05 AM
brner

Originally Posted by donnyman
.......I remember the string guided cars etc. the one that surprised me were the Co2 capsule powered cars that were string guided.......
Like this one Donny? I built this when I was in grade school. Never put it on a wire, as per the instructions. Just fired it off in a large parking lot....LOL All it ever did was a few very fast spin outs....

[ATTACH]2120062[/IMG]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.