Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 05:43 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
I looked up co2 cars on the net! I can tell you they are alive and doing well. the capsules sell for 0.60 cents and the race tracks are run by clubs.
check "m" out they are now high tech.
Crosman sells 9 gram CO2 capsules for their air guns. They are bigger and heavier, but hold more gas. Walmart among others sell them. Not too pricey if you buy a carton of 16. Not good for the original cars as they are too big, but maybe build a bigger car or boat just for kicks?
Old 09-22-2015, 05:52 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Yea......... I have seen on line the capsules used like a mortar shell and rocket projectile when slid down a pvc pipe of appropriate size.
even small planes. It seems a interesting contest could be had with them.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:56 AM
donnyman

These ad's between post is truly distracting.

Have you seen the news how a pharmacuetical company jacked the price of one of there med's by 750%? If that isn't proof of the Greed previlent in this nation I don't know what is. common decency and respect does not exist in these people, I could go on of course but it is just down right disgusting.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:56 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Am I the only one the new ad scheme causes the browser to lock up on?

had to write this in word and pray I could get it pasted in before the lockup! I’m sure RCU will say try another browser but if they are unable/incapable of fixing the problem well this isn’t the only forum out there bidding for our eyeballs.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:01 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
These ad's between post is truly distracting.

Have you seen the news how a pharmacuetical company jacked the price of one of there med's by 750%? If that isn't proof of the Greed previlent in this nation I don't know what is. common decency and respect does not exist in these people, I could go on of course but it is just down right disgusting.
Most who know me here know i have MS going on 28 years and they told me i would more than likely be in a wheelchair 24 years ago .lol Told the doctor then i will dance on his grave ! They have medication for MS at the price no one and most insurance cant or wont afford to pay . There is still no REAL cure for it but drug companies get rich off of so called better medication for it and people worce off than iam pay it to try and get better with little or no better health . I keep on working construction every day and out the door at 5am and work till 7 or 8 pm so thats my secret on how iam beating MS as long as i have :-) .lol joe
Old 09-24-2015, 08:08 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Am I the only one the new ad scheme causes the browser to lock up on?

had to write this in word and pray I could get it pasted in before the lockup! I’m sure RCU will say try another browser but if they are unable/incapable of fixing the problem well this isn’t the only forum out there bidding for our eyeballs.
I belong to many different RC sites around the world and use a translator to chat with them but this is the only site i have to throw the magic dart when sighining on to it and see if i can post or read posts that day . lmao I have said this for years and its still jacked up programing here and it falls on deaf ears every year ! joe
Old 09-24-2015, 08:19 AM
donnyman

joebahl

I have to agree with you. I have dropped all but one of my daily med's and feel better for it. It is a known fact the drug co.'s add a plecebo or something to a drug and call it new and improved, jack the price all out of proportion and sell millions and make billions.

I said it before and I say it again healthy/cured people don't buy drugs so our drugs don't cure anything and the pills keep selling and you remain sick. or sicker than before. I know I have friends in their graves today from excessive prescription drugs. my wife almost died from it.
I bet if more people researched the drugs they are taking they would drop them like a hot rock. I did!
Old 09-24-2015, 08:21 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by joebahl
I belong to many different RC sites around the world and use a translator to chat with them but this is the only site i have to throw the magic dart when sighining on to it and see if i can post or read posts that day . lmao I have said this for years and its still jacked up programing here and it falls on deaf ears every year ! joe

Something ain't kosher!
Old 09-24-2015, 09:03 AM
FlyerInOKC

Disabling the Flash Player Add on in your browser helps the site latency and the affected ads show up as gray/black boxes.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:45 AM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have made some progress on the fuselage for Yellow Bird.In the picture you can see the old landing gear mount and the new one. I build these tough I intend to do a lot of landings on it.
Yesterday My wife took me to a local flyin. When we drove up she was helping me out of the car and one of the guys came right over and offered us the use of his gulf cart.That was so nice to get out and see some old friends and all of the same old airplanes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00370.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	2122471   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00371.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	2.69 MB
ID:	2122472  

Last edited by Joe Fisher; 09-27-2015 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:50 AM
FlyerInOKC

Glad to hear you got out Joe! Nice progress on the Yellow plane.

Mike
Old 09-30-2015, 06:03 AM
donnyman

Joe Fisher

I like to see the type pics you posted! Kinda inspires me. I am glad you are getting better.

Here lately The honeydo's and the don'twannas have me missing my shoptime but I did put in an hour or two yesterday, and was wondering how many of us have something on the bench? I would be nice to share some pictures of our projects.

I have been scanning and collecting drawings and enjoy looking them over to compare the various ways others accomplish a task.
Model Aviation Magazine had several construction articles, for me the reading was more enjoyable.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:21 PM
Joe Fisher

Galloping Ghostler in post 1796 you were talking about your interest in model rockets. And how the cost drove you out of it. This might be of interest to you if you haven't already seen it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12fR9neVnS8
Old 10-02-2015, 06:38 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Fisher
Galloping Ghostler in post 1796 you were talking about your interest in model rockets. And how the cost drove you out of it. This might be of interest to you if you haven't already seen it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12fR9neVnS8
Joe, this is interesting. However, there is potential for harm if one is not careful enough. Back in the 1950's and 1960's, people lost fingers, limbs and incurred serious burns making their own rocket engines.This is why Estes developed safety hobbyist motors. They were considered safe enough back then that through their special mailing tubes containing a maximum of 3 engines, the Postmaster considered these as ordinary combustible hazard instead of flammables. To destroy, all one had to do was soak in water.

As I have enough venues going on in my life, to pursue model rocketry now would be too much, although at the time as a high schooler it was really fun. My favorite was Gyroc, a canard like rocket with flaps that flipped one up one down, so it would helicopter on the way down after the ejection charge pushed the engine away releasing the flaps.

Another favorite was Alpha (the balsa / paper kit version), and Big Bertha, even made a homemade using an Estes rocket motor mailing tube and Aerobee fins that came down by streamer. Also built many others, even the camera one called Camroc that required a darkroom bag to change B&W film inside, required developing and printing.

A friend had a darkroom in the studio behind their house where I could process it, plus I had my own home darkroom. Those were fun days.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:40 PM
Joe Fisher

I never was to interested in rockets. I like things that make some kind of a landing not just fall down. And I know what you mean about having enough projects.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:40 PM
GallopingGhostler

Yes, I can relate to that, I like flying better than vertical up and vertical down. Just seeing something fly has always thrilled me. Just today while riding the bike 4 miles out into the countryside, noticed about a dozen hawks circling and partaking in road kill rabbit. It's neat just to watch those hawks fly, can understand how early free flighters imitated the dihedral that those hawks had.
Old 10-03-2015, 03:58 AM
rt3232

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We are lucky enough to have a covy of eagles the fly over from the river to farm fields near by, and the wife and I allways have to stop and watch, slow and with grace then they dive and boy does there speed get impressive, they sag a mouse and then it is full bore back to the nest

Just the ramblings of an old geezer

Cheers Bob T
Old 10-03-2015, 05:00 AM
Joe Fisher

I look up at the sound of all airplanes. When I was a toddler I watched airplanes. My parents built there own house in California I was 2 I picked up two sticks held them together and said airplane. I know this because my Dad would proudly tell tell everyone that when I would be showing off one of my latest creations.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:43 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Fisher
Model rockets got me back into modeling after a hiatus of 30 or so years. My son and I went to a gymkana at a shopping center lot on a Sunday (remember when they were closed on Sunday?) and saw over to one side a model rocket club event. One rocket launched went up by rocket power and then transitioned into a radio controlled glider after motor burnout. That got us into rockets, and then RC planes, where I am still. We built a lot of scale rockets including those of NASA and the military. We flew them all, and lost a few, but experimented with different recovery techniques such as streamers, rotors, and straight free fall; in addition to parachutes of all types and sizes. I think the rocket hobby developed a genuine interest in aero-flight in my son that he still has. I gave my rocket collection to a young cousin and he is now into space flight and robotics.

I am toying with getting my Jetex "50" back into use since fuel etc. has again become available. In the early 60s (right after Sputnik). I tried my own rocket fuel with mixed results, but now the purchase of the necessary ingredients would get the attention of the feds.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 10-04-2015, 12:03 PM
donnyman

The magic from the use of this site is strong. I was reading spaceworms post and he mentioned the jetex, coincidently I am buiding a jetex model only started yesterday to take a break from the larger birds and realize how we are all connected by our hobby in more ways than we can possibly know... amazing. a f-86 to go with my little mig-15 both jetex models.

Name:	DSCF0321.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	3.59 MB
ID:	2123556  
Old 10-05-2015, 08:22 AM
KC Air

Speaking of rockets.. some chowderhead thought it was a good idea to bring his rocket gear to the RC flying field. There were guys flying 35s and 40%, and every once in awhile Mr Chowder would fire a rocket that, of course, drifts significantly in the wind. On one such launch, the wind carried his rocket into the flight path of one of the planes. No collision, but, the rocketeer got the message when everything stopped and people just stood and stared at him. He sent his assistant to retrieve the rocket from the runway, then packed up his stuff and left.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:31 AM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by KC Air
Speaking of rockets.. some chowderhead thought it was a good idea to bring his rocket gear to the RC flying field. There were guys flying 35s and 40%, and every once in awhile Mr Chowder would fire a rocket that, of course, drifts significantly in the wind. On one such launch, the wind carried his rocket into the flight path of one of the planes. No collision, but, the rocketeer got the message when everything stopped and people just stood and stared at him. He sent his assistant to retrieve the rocket from the runway, then packed up his stuff and left.
Don't know the specific circumstances, but wonder if any took the leadership to speak with the rocketeer, may be coordinate a time in which he could fire his rockets while say others be willing to take a break.

Reason why I mention this is back in 1973 or 1974, I went to fly my single channel .049 powered Junior Falcon at Ford Island in the middle of Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. They had a little used airstrip accessible by boat operated by the military. I had a group of old military retirees angered at me for "interfering with their flights".

I was a seasoned R/O pilot, knew what I was doing. On maiden, it needed to be trimmed and there were 4 or 5 of them flying. They acted like they owned the airfield, which belonged to the Navy and me being in my early 20's, they made sure I didn't feel welcomed flying such a primitive aircraft. (There was a sense of arrogance about anything smaller than a full house .40 powered aircraft.) Needless to say, that was the last time I went to Ford Island.

I have been to various flying clubs and fields, and found attitudes that varied, some friendly, some not so friendly. Over time I've learned to gravitate toward the friendly and ignore the unfriendly. In this case just wondered if this person was truly a difficult person, or perhaps that in some way he might have not been considered a trouble maker if the club helped make a few concessions or provide amiable ground rules.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:32 AM
KC Air

You should have seen them run when they saw our pitchforks and torches. That's usually how we discourage interlopers around here, rarely do we have to get out the shotguns, or send the dogs
Old 10-06-2015, 04:07 AM
donnyman

George

I am in tune with you! I have been in both situations more times than I care to remember. It is much more pleasant to include than exclude.

We had members that rejected everything except multi rc birds to the point of almost physical confrontation.

Since that mentality has been eliminated membership has grown and we see a lot more smiles at the field. there is plenty of space for all to enjoy this multi faceted hobby. Far too many of my friends avoid our field due to past events of the negative nature.

To put it quite frankly we all are better off because those that caused the problems are gone!....................

Last edited by donnyman; 10-06-2015 at 04:16 AM.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:11 PM
Joe Fisher

It might be interesting to see the airplane mail box's that us old airplane nuts might have. Mine I made over 40 years ago when I bought our first house. It just moves with us. The wood wings and tail get rotten and I have to occasionally make new wings and tail. It was usually yellow with red sunburst. I have plans to build a Boredom Fighter I will build it to look like a barn stormier with silver wings and and red fuselage so to see what it will look like.

Name:	DSC00372.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	2.79 MB
ID:	2123979  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.